Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Turk » August 11th, 2009, 6:54 pm

wilson wrote:
Turk wrote: Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Movie.

"You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never watch space movies with a female when romance is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha... <clunk>"
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I missed the part from from roughly the departure from Mos Eisley to the escape from the Death Star.
Hmm... Maybe that was too harsh and I shouldn't rush to judgment.... Far be it from me to criticize any movie that can kick off some good <insert funny EJ sharfarchooglin word here>... :-bd
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 11th, 2009, 7:02 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I bought a new camera last night (a Nikon D90). After looking at several online places, I bought it at a local camera store. They matched Best Buy's price for the camera, plus I get a free camera-specific class and 100 free prints. I'm really getting the camera to get back into the game of taking pictures for fun, so the class and the opportunity to have a local source of expert information/advice swung the balance intheir favor.
Yay for local retailers! :) Enjoy the new camera!
Thanks for the advice on that one, DA! I thought about what you said and decided it made lots of sense. Especially after I checked the website for a local store and found out about competitor price matches and free get-to-know-your-camera classes (specific to your purchased camera). They also have a professional photographer on-staff and a regular slate of photography classes. I'm going to be taking advantage of that. I used to attempt artsy shots with my old Pentax K-1000 and would like to learn more about what I'm doing.

As an aside, I once took almost an entire roll of pictures of reflections in mud puddles after a big rain storm. It will be far cheaper to do stuff like that with a digital camera.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 11th, 2009, 7:05 pm

Lavabe wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I bought a new camera last night (a Nikon D90). After looking at several online places, I bought it at a local camera store. They matched Best Buy's price for the camera, plus I get a free camera-specific class and 100 free prints. I'm really getting the camera to get back into the game of taking pictures for fun, so the class and the opportunity to have a local source of expert information/advice swung the balance intheir favor.
Yay for local retailers! :) Enjoy the new camera!
And WHEN exactly is the Forest Park Balloon Race? *-:)
A quick Google search tells me that it is Saturday, September 19, 2009. I took pics last year, but they were with my point-and-shoot and left a lot to be desired. That was one of the motivations for a new camera. I have a Pentax K-1000 (fully manual) and used to take lots of pictures with it. A point-and-shoot just doesn't compare with a good camera.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 11th, 2009, 7:08 pm

And now, off to shoot some pictures!
-- Albert Einstein
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » August 11th, 2009, 7:10 pm

I just signed Ronnie up for flag football, for 4 year olds, wonder what that will be like.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 11th, 2009, 7:29 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Turk wrote:Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Movie.

"You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never watch space movies with a female when romance is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha... <clunk>"
Princess Bride is one of my all time favorite movies, and by far Cary Elwes' and Mandy Patinkin's best roles. Not to mention Andre the Giant. And Chris Sarandon. And Wallace Shawn. And Robin Wright Penn. And Fred Savage. And Christopher Guest.

%%-
Fred Savage was in Princess Bride? I never knew that. I've also never watch Princess Bride in it's entirety.

I did wait on Andre the Giant when he stayed at the hotel I used to work in.
I worship the Blue Devil!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 7:37 pm

TillyGalore wrote: Fred Savage was in Princess Bride? I never knew that. I've also never watch Princess Bride in it's entirety.

I did wait on Andre the Giant when he stayed at the hotel I used to work in.
Tilly, you really need to remedy this. You'd love 'The Princess Bride'. And yes, Fred Savage is in it...his role is rather small, though.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 7:47 pm

Where is everyone?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 7:49 pm

Maybe it's time for me to go on a tear, like y'all did while I was off gallivanting for my birthday.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 7:50 pm

I had almost 30 pages of LTE to catch up on after only 4 days away.
wilson
PWing School Professor

I really like the word "gallivanting."
wilson
PWing School Professor

We're approaching Lando Calrissian's first appearance on screen in 'The Empire Strikes Back.'
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 7:51 pm

wilson wrote:We're approaching Lando Calrissian's first appearance on screen in 'The Empire Strikes Back.'
My favorite inhabitant of all the Star Wars universe, and one of my favorite all-time movie characters.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 7:51 pm

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:We're approaching Lando Calrissian's first appearance on screen in 'The Empire Strikes Back.'
My favorite inhabitant of all the Star Wars universe, and one of my favorite all-time movie characters.
Someday, I will have a dog named Lando Calrissian.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 7:52 pm

I have a list of dog names so long that I doubt I'll ever get to use them all.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 7:53 pm

wilson wrote:I have a list of dog names so long that I doubt I'll ever get to use them all.
And most of them are male names...need to beef up the female side.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 7:53 pm

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:I have a list of dog names so long that I doubt I'll ever get to use them all.
And most of them are male names...need to beef up the female side.
Currently #1 on the list of female names: Emmylou (as in Harris).
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 7:54 pm

I also like flower names. Violet is good...that'd probably be Violet Anne Bickerstaff, as in the Saved by the Bell character.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 7:55 pm

wilson wrote:I also like flower names. Violet is good...that'd probably be Violet Anne Bickerstaff, as in the Saved by the Bell character.
Kind of stumped on any more, though.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 7:58 pm

I'm approaching my Magna Carta post. :-B