Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » June 13th, 2017, 11:29 pm

Lawnmower Lager-Baderbrau Tap and Kitchen

Almost done sampling .

"Drink now, mow later."

Pour was a light gold with a modest head. Floral aromas with some fruity and grassy (not that kind !) hoppy notes and surprising moderate bitterness, and some biscuit/bread tastes, this also paired reasonably with the Reuben. IBUs higher than I thought at 38 with ABV at 5.5%. This made a tasty pairing with a section/shared of their Mac N Cheese waffle, topped with a generous amount of bacon.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 13th, 2017, 11:36 pm

Wind Chill-Baderbrau Tap and Kitchen

We're done here.

Listed as a dry-hopper Helles, the color was pale straw, the head small, the aromas floral and the tastes mildly bitter and lightly malty/grainy. Why they call this Wind Chill and have it as their special, limited winter release in early June beats the #$%^ outta me. The IBUs guess is 20 based on the style and tasting, but I've had the better part of 3 beers by now, and the ABV is fairly reliable, I guess, as it's listed at 4.8% on the menu. I think I'm tasting a chicken sammich and/or a brat by now and my limited recall seems to declare it was a good pairing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 14th, 2017, 10:35 pm

From 4/25/17:

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
Yowsa! A 12-ounce can will set you back a pretty penny (or 699 of them), but the last one at Stella was totally worth it. 13% ABV and a triple-digit (125) IBU. But, damn, the whisky barrel aging is awesome. Super-boozy, but wonderful chocolate notes. Pricey, but worth it. A really awesome beer.

From last PM:

Night Jump-Aviator Brewing Company

I'm pretty sure there's not much to add to this short, succinct and totally on target review. I'd have never thought 125 IBUs. The whiskey and cocoa/chocolate are an amazing combination. I don't care if we're nearing the summer solstice, this was outstanding from my Goose Island Bourbon County Stout snifter, sipped over almost an hour as a nightcap. Quite pleased to have 3 more of these and, at only 500 pennies per 12 ounce can and bought at the Aviator Smokehouse last month, I got quite a deal. I'd have likely never bought this without remembering Tripping William's review.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 14th, 2017, 10:44 pm

From 5/16/15:
devildeac wrote:White Zombie-Catawba Brewing

Small sample as I left the hotel yesterday for an afternoon walk. Didn't want to get dehydrated in the warm, humid mountain air. It's a Belgian wit style ale, aka a Belgian single. That means it's a fairly light colored and bodied brew with a cloudy yellow-straw hue and pleasant bouquet of citrus and flowers. Spiced and flavored with orange peel and coriander as many singles are, this had little hop bite (IBUs likely 10-20 range) and slightly sweet, citrusy and spicy flavors with the ABV at 5.1%. This is their signature beer and I'd rather have a Hoeegarden (sp?), but it was a nice "thirst quencher" before a vigorous walk.
From tonight:

White Zombie-Catawba Brewing

A 12 ounce can kindly gifted to me this evening from our part-time office nurse, a few days prior to my birthday celebration.

Pretty similar thoughts/tastes to over 2 years ago. A good, but not outstanding offering in a somewhat crowded field. Provided nice hydration prior to a warm, humid walk this evening. The Sour Zombie at the Catawba barrel room was more intriguing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 14th, 2017, 10:54 pm

Vienna Lager-Nicklepoint Brewing Company

Drink indigenous!

Another 12 ounce can gifted to me from our part-time nurse tonight from a 3 year old Raleigh brewery in the Five Points area (see what I/they did there?). Pretty true to style and very close to the Marzen style. Pour was a light amber with a moderate head that lasted briefly. Light earthy and herbal aromas with whole wheat, light brown sugar and honey flavors with quite mild Euro hops bitterness. Checks in at 5.1% ABV and 24 IBUs. Finishing this up now as I post and thinking this would pair nicely with a burger, a grilled chicken sandwich or a BLT on some toasted 12 grain bread.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 16th, 2017, 11:26 pm

From last PM as an early birthday celebration:

Trophy Wife (draft)-Trophy Brewing Company

Drink local!

This was just listed "IPA" on the beverage menu but I didn't think Trophy had any "plain" monikers so the bartender told me the real story/name as I left the restaurant last PM. It's actually a session IPA. Pint pour was a light, orange-amber with a smallish, foamy head. Light citrus aromas, mostly grapefruit with mildly floral bitterness/hoppiness, followed by Tropicana Light grapefruit-orange juice flavors, no pulp . I'll guess 40 IBUs and the ABV was 4.9% making it a nice pairing with some delicious shrimp and grits.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » June 18th, 2017, 2:06 pm

My daughter bought me a six pack of different beers for Father's Day. The first one I am enjoying is a Anchor Steam Beer from San Francisco. B-)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 18th, 2017, 7:30 pm

Bob Green wrote:My daughter bought me a six pack of different beers for Father's Day. The first one I am enjoying is a Anchor Steam Beer from San Francisco. B-)

Oooh, can't wait to hear about the others, too.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 19th, 2017, 7:08 pm

Today's beer: Sierra Nevada Beer Camp 2017 Golden IPA. It is crisp and delightful.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 19th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Bob Green wrote:Today's beer: Sierra Nevada Beer Camp 2017 Golden IPA. It is crisp and delightful.
Bob Green drinking an IPA :-o ?

Seriously, glad you liked it. We might have to request you stop by the relatively new Stone Brewing in Richmond this FB season and pick up some brewery only specialties ;) .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 19th, 2017, 9:44 pm

India Pale Ale-Avery Brewing Company

No clever name 8-| .

This was a single 12 ounce bottle brewed on 12-29-16 gifted to me last week as part of a mixed 6er for my birthday by our part-time office nurse (N-77, classmate of Mrs. dd :D ). Pour was a slightly cloudy yellow-orange with a moderate, foamy head. Mixed bouquet of citrus, tropical and piney aromas with matching tastes of mango, grapefruit and a bit of resin. Mild to moderate bitterness with IBUs estimated at 60 with a stated ABV of 6.5%. I'll guess it's been a decade since I had one of these and it paired nicely with a fancy garden salad for dinner tonight.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 20th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Tonight's beer: Two Hearted Ale from Bell's in Comstock, Michigan. Another IPA. It is refreshing. The after taste is minor.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 20th, 2017, 10:26 pm

Bob Green wrote:Tonight's beer: Two Hearted Ale from Bell's in Comstock, Michigan. Another IPA. It is refreshing. The after taste is minor.
That's generally considered one of the better IPAs in the US. Your daughter has good tastes. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 20th, 2017, 10:27 pm

7 Hop IPA-Rogue Ales

Another 12 ounce gift from our part-time office nurse for my birthday last week.

This was disappointing. I enjoyed Rogue products for 10-15 years, starting in about 1995 and greatly appreciate their role in helping to promote/develop the US craft beer industry, but, as fuse has stated several times before, there are a lot of old/new brews on the market and Rogue is really no longer worth the price point (or something like that ).

Pour was cloudy and a light orange-amber color with a moderate, foamy head. Aromas were off-piney and wet cardboardy?. Maybe stale (no bottling/enjoy by date that I could find on the bottle), maybe the combination of hops just didn't work. Tastes were even more off, soapy and orange Pine Sol-like. Not good. There were some pine, resin and citrus rind flavors, too. I even let it warm a bit over 30 minutes and still found it almost unpleasant, but, being the beer trooper that I am (beer fool ?), I did finish the glass. Checked in at 78 IBUs and 7.77% ABV. Not worth trying another. Not worthy to pair with anything, unless it was an aliquot of Scope mouthwash afterwards as a palate cleanser. Guess I really shoulda put this in Ycch, Beer.

Here are the ingredients (if anyone really would care ):

Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™, Maier Munich & Dare™ R-3 Malts; Rogue Farms Liberty, Newport, Revolution, Rebel, Independent, Freedom & Alluvial Hops; Pacman Yeast & Free-Range Coastal Water
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 21st, 2017, 5:21 pm

Free range coastal water?
=))

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
dpslaw
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by dpslaw » June 21st, 2017, 7:50 pm

Speaking of IPAs, I have two words: Founders Doom!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 21st, 2017, 8:24 pm

CathyCA wrote:Free range coastal water?
=))

:9f:
Rogue has labeled their beers for years with that phrase. I guess they mean no GMO or hormones fed to their water when they brew their beers 8-| .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 21st, 2017, 8:25 pm

dpslaw wrote:Speaking of IPAs, I have two words: Founders Doom!
New one to me. Please review. ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 21st, 2017, 10:09 pm

Dry-Hopped Berliner-Style Weisse-Sierra Nevada and Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Beer Camp beer #1 (in no particular order)

Germany meets California/North Carolina meets Texas.

This was a very pleasant collaboration/variant of the old German style. Pour was a light straw with a modest, fizzy head that disappeared somewhat quickly. Lemon-lime soda first came to mind with the scents but the tastes were more lemon-limeade, meaning a bit sweet but more sour and puckery, like a Warhead Light with a twist and squeeze of an orange slice. Low IBUs at 10 to accompany a low ABV at 4.2%. I've never had this style with a shot of fruit syrup or woodruff syrup but would certainly give it a try. A schnitzel and some spaetzle pairing woudl be nice, too. Ingredients below:

Yeast: hefeweizen from SN's Kellerweiss beer
Bittering Hops: Saaz
Finishing Hops: Saaz and Amarillo
Malts: Two-row Pale, Wheat, Munich

Prosit!
dpslaw

Post by dpslaw » June 21st, 2017, 10:14 pm

Everything about Doom is big, if not over the top. It is a bourbon barrel aged imperial IPA. ABV is 12.4. First you taste the malt. Lots of vanilla and caramel and bourbon, bourbon, bourbon! Then the massive hoppiness kicks in. Citrus and pepper. Surprisingly, not overly boozy. Almost too much. Almost.