CameronBornAndBred wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 6:45 pm
OPK wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 6:21 pm
cato wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 3:57 pm
Hey y’all
[Inspector Clouseau]“Not now, Cato . . . .” [/Inspector Clouseau]
Too be fair, I bet Chatbot keeps Cato around in Section 21 longer than he would OPK.

Side note. Not looking forward to news reports from Louisville tonight. I will be very happy if there is no violence.

Another side note. 59% of Americans say wait til after the election to deal with RBG's replacement.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

The chance of that happening is nil to none, though. :ymsigh:
Cheeto said in yesterday’s press conference that the Supreme Court needs 9 justices because the election will likely be determined by them. In other words, he’s trying to stack the court in his favor so he can stay in power.
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/23/91622189 ... Pntt2Qy_Js
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Phredd3
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: Trump Vs Biden --- The Election Thread

Post by Phredd3 » September 24th, 2020, 9:20 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 7:32 am
Cheeto said in yesterday’s press conference that the Supreme Court needs 9 justices because the election will likely be determined by them. In other words, he’s trying to stack the court in his favor so he can stay in power.
I sincerely kept trying to give that a more charitable interpretation, but I failed. The guy is a fascist, pure and simple. He does not give a damn what the voters actually want.

IMO, the only way Trump does not contest an election he is losing is if McConnell also loses, or if McConnell wins and he and the remaining Republican leadership tells him that the Party will not support a challenge. The setup has been too long and too deliberate to read it any other way.
dudog

Post by dudog » September 24th, 2020, 9:38 am

Phredd3 wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 9:20 am
ArkieDukie wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 7:32 am
I sincerely kept trying to give that a more charitable interpretation, but I failed. The guy is a fascist, pure and simple. He does not give a damn what the voters actually want.

IMO, the only way Trump does not contest an election he is losing is if McConnell also loses, or if McConnell wins and he and the remaining Republican leadership tells him that the Party will not support a challenge. The setup has been too long and too deliberate to read it any other way.
If McConnell loses, he'll be in lockstep challenging the election. So either way, There is no longer a Republican party.

Actually, I think this is stupid. McConnell has gotten everything he wanted, and more, out of Trump. Trump is really no longer useful to him. He should come out today and say "We WILL accept the results of the vote." But he won't, because basically he's a shit.
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » September 24th, 2020, 11:32 am

Our American fascist moment is here.  Actually has been here for awhile.

Here’s an article by Matthew MacWilliams, author of On Fascism.  Highly recommended.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... ism-420681

About halfway through, the paragraph that begins, “The political path to galvanize America authoritarianism,” is a concise summary of fascism.

”This [fascist] path reads like the playbook guidingTrump administration and campaign.”

”Trumpism is McCarthyism on steroids, and its full expression menaces the stability of our democracy.  A country where authoritarian ideals are ascendant, and remain ascendant, is no longer a democracy.  It is on the road to fascism, or what some now call, euphemistically, illiberal democracy.”

Trump and his Republican enablers in Congress and in several “swing-state” legislatures are actively — repeat: actively, not theoretically — planning to subvert the election by denying the legitimacy of hundreds of thousands of ballots.  Planning, right now, as Trump openly said last night, to “get rid of the ballots.”  Trump supporters will support this fascist plan.  And Republicans in Congress will refuse to directly castigate Trump, falling back on vague boilerplate about the sanctity of our elections, thus implying Trump would never do such a thing.  He will.  He is.  Republican election officials will.  They are.

Whatever my own concerns about racist, white nationalist, reactionary populist trends in the Republican Party, I still did not imagine such a moment.  Our fascist moment is here.  Our constitutional democratic republic is in immediate danger.

If Trump is allowed to steal the election, we will descend more deeply into an era — 10 years, 20, longer? — of fascism versus resistance.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » September 24th, 2020, 12:19 pm

What continues to amaze me is that well-educated, previously patriotic people continue to have no problem with any of this and tie themselves in knots defending Trump's behavior. Roberts has at times shown a respect for order and the constitution. Gorusch and Kavanaugh are largely untested and perhaps they will step up. Hopefully Herr McConnell will give the Dems a few moments to ask some questions of the court nominee and will get the person on record about whether they are beholden to Trump. Not that that gets us anywhere.

I am horrified and scared by this whole situation. I am embarrassed to be an American. My only small hope is that I live in NY, a very blue state, so hopefully my state will uphold some of my rights. But despite having lived his whole life here, Trump has made it very clear that everything for him is Us vs. Them and New Yorkers are clearly Them to him, so he will do everything in his power to make our lives miserable.

And pious Pence stands by and lets this abuse of power happen. I don't know who, but someone has to stand up to Trump. We have tried to do it through the process but that clearly isn't working. I really hope that better minds than mine have a plan but I fear it is too late - the Republicans played the long game and it worked out perfectly for them.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 24th, 2020, 12:50 pm

More than 200 retired generals and admirals endorsed Joe Biden for president in a letter published Thursday, saying he had the character and judgment to serve as commander-in-chief instead of President Donald Trump, who has failed "to meet challenges large or small."
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... SbtwGCAM74
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » September 24th, 2020, 1:44 pm

I’m going to follow up a bit here on the ghastly possibility that Trump, aided by his (literal) enablers in several battleground states, steals the election. It’s not inevitable, yet that it seems even a possibility — 10%, 33%, 50%, 67%??? — is unnerving.

If it happens, I can only guess that we’re in for an “era” of fascism. But neither its duration nor everyday reality (??) is obvious to me. Mass incarceration of liberals, shutting down of multiple outlets of MSM, condoning of right-wing militias ruling towns and cities — still very hard to imagine any of these things. Yet my imagination has failed up to now, re Republican perfidy.

I’d guess something more like a continuation of slim majority opposing Trump’s increasing fascism. A country even more divided than right now. Another impeachment in the House. All depends on exactly what Trump does. 2022 and 2024 elections decide the duration of the “fascist era.”
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 24th, 2020, 2:03 pm

gumbomoop wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 1:44 pm
I’m going to follow up a bit here on the ghastly possibility that Trump, aided by his (literal) enablers in several battleground states, steals the election. It’s not inevitable, yet that it seems even a possibility — 10%, 33%, 50%, 67%??? — is unnerving.

If it happens, I can only guess that we’re in for an “era” of fascism. But neither its duration nor everyday reality (??) is obvious to me. Mass incarceration of liberals, shutting down of multiple outlets of MSM, condoning of right-wing militias ruling towns and cities — still very hard to imagine any of these things. Yet my imagination has failed up to now, re Republican perfidy.

I’d guess something more like a continuation of slim majority opposing Trump’s increasing fascism. A country even more divided than right now. Another impeachment in the House. All depends on exactly what Trump does. 2022 and 2024 elections decide the duration of the “fascist era.”
I keep hoping beyond hope that the more "real" the scenario of him not accepting a loss becomes a possibility, the more voters, regardless of party and ideology, vote with their conscience. I'm not greatly optimistic of that happening, but I reserve a little bit of hope that Americans see this for what it is, and what they would allow this country to become.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » September 24th, 2020, 2:34 pm

gumbomoop wrote:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after hearing what Trump has said in the last two weeks, this is my real opinion:

Fascism is creeping at first, but when it gains control, it strikes swiftly to sweep away opposition. Hitler controlled the Nazi party in 1925, but the party didn't get really popular until the Depression. By 1933, Hitler was Chancellor, and by January of 1934, the presidency and chancellorship had been merged and competing political organizations outlawed. Trump had a sizeable minority in the last election as the head of a party that swiftly adopted his authoritarian approach. Trump has already floated the idea of a third term. If he is allowed to steal this election, we are not going back.

If Democrats are not motivated to vote in droves so as to remove all doubt right now, they very well may find themselves without a party to vote for in two years. Or at least, without a viable party. Fascists have improved their techniques so they won't outright outlaw a competing party, because of the risk of provoking a rebellion. But it will be a party that cannot win and begins to identify dissent.

It can happen here.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 24th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 2:34 pm
It can happen here.
How Hitler took control of Germany has always been unfathomable to me. Obviously he did, but I could never wrap my brain around how a whole country let it happen.

I am understanding it better every day now.
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » September 24th, 2020, 2:45 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 2:03 pm

I keep hoping beyond hope that the more "real" the scenario of him not accepting a loss becomes a possibility, the more voters, regardless of party and ideology, vote with their conscience. I'm not greatly optimistic of that happening, but I reserve a little bit of hope that Americans see this for what it is, and what they would allow this country to become.
I share this hope. Virtually everything will depend on actual events. If Trump wins an honest election via the skewed Electoral College, well, that’s just roughly a repeat of 2016 and indicates that our electoral system can unfortunately produce minority rule. Frustrating win by fascists, but not itself necessarily a triumphant “era” of fascism, I guess.

But the hopeful scenario you present is one where Trump has alienated enough of his own 2016 supporters that they either sit out or vote for Biden, who thus achieves 270-325 electoral votes. I’d guess this is 65-70% probable. That is, Biden is somewhat favored to win an honest election.

The problem comes when Trump and his enabling, fascist Republican state election officials disqualify, i.e., steal, votes. Trump wins a dishonest election, Republican leaders stay silent, hide, pretend not to know that the election was stolen, and the Supreme Court, if involved at all, rules in favor of fascist theft.

In that horrific scenario, we would enter a “fascist era” of uncertain duration.
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » September 24th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Here’s some good news, but .......

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/2 ... fer-421025

Good news — some Republican leaders assure us there will be a peaceful transition.

BUT — (1) they avoid any direct repudiation of Trump’s outrageous statement(s) on that specific subject. Further, and more important, (2) they avoid entirely the issue of news that Republican election officials in red battleground states are discussing ways to suppress votes, invalidate votes, steal votes, submit an “alternate” slate of electors to the Electoral College.

The absolutely crucial issue is whether Republicans will stay silent when state Trumpists steal the election in several key states. It’s one thing — an easy endorsement of democracy — to insist on a “peaceful transition” after an honest election. It’s an altogether different thing — a fascist beast — to enable a thieving winner to claim legitimacy.

Democrats make a mistake not to press Republican leaders on (2) above, in part to inform an inattentive public that an actual, multi-pronged conspiracy is afoot to steal this election. Dems need to apprise American citizens that Republican election officials in battleground states are discussing how to get away with submitting a slate of electors for their states that will ignore a Biden popular vote victory in their state, and vote instead for Trump when the Electoral College meets.
dudog

Post by dudog » September 24th, 2020, 4:42 pm

gumbomoop wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 3:24 pm
The absolutely crucial issue is whether Republicans will stay silent when state Trumpists steal the election in several key states. It’s one thing — an easy endorsement of democracy — to insist on a “peaceful transition” after an honest election. It’s an altogether different thing — a fascist beast — to enable a thieving winner to claim legitimacy.
Of course they will. There is absolutely no doubt.

Just re-watched Patton last night. Reminded me Hitler was a "paper-hanger". Ours is a "reality TV star".
cato
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by cato » September 24th, 2020, 5:02 pm

gumbomoop wrote:

Mass incarceration of liberals as political prisoners and literally shutting down of media outlet, I don’t see it. Militias increasing their power? I can see that. Manipulation of every lever in the political and law enforcement apparatus, from voting rights to martial law? Yeah, I could imagine all of it.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 25th, 2020, 7:32 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 12:19 pm
What continues to amaze me is that well-educated, previously patriotic people continue to have no problem with any of this and tie themselves in knots defending Trump's behavior. Roberts has at times shown a respect for order and the constitution. Gorusch and Kavanaugh are largely untested and perhaps they will step up. Hopefully Herr McConnell will give the Dems a few moments to ask some questions of the court nominee and will get the person on record about whether they are beholden to Trump. Not that that gets us anywhere.

I am horrified and scared by this whole situation. I am embarrassed to be an American. My only small hope is that I live in NY, a very blue state, so hopefully my state will uphold some of my rights. But despite having lived his whole life here, Trump has made it very clear that everything for him is Us vs. Them and New Yorkers are clearly Them to him, so he will do everything in his power to make our lives miserable.

And pious Pence stands by and lets this abuse of power happen. I don't know who, but someone has to stand up to Trump. We have tried to do it through the process but that clearly isn't working. I really hope that better minds than mine have a plan but I fear it is too late - the Republicans played the long game and it worked out perfectly for them.
Yesterday I had a long chat with a colleague about all of this. He doesn’t think the Supreme Court will support Trump’s blatantly fascist techniques, regardless of who’s on the court. He thinks Trump is seriously underestimating them. Recall that Gorsuch, at least, has been rebuked by Trump for not voting in lockstep with what he wanted. I’m sure his newest justice will be chosen for such a time as this, and Democrats should seriously learn of this person’s stance on voting.

My colleague also predicts that it would go down like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Nixon. In other words, for something this important, the court will be united in their decision. However, I cannot help but remember this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_v._Gore. I don’t think anything will be unanimous; I think Trump will have at least 2 votes. He’s choosing a new Justice that will give him at least 1 vote, and Kavanaugh has always voted in lockstep with whatever Trump wants. The only chance we have is if my colleague is correct about the Supremes.

I saw somewhere that mail-in ballots will be the hanging chad of this year’s election, and I think they’re right. Trump and the Republicans already have lawyers looking into ways to get absentee ballots tossed. Our best hope is that he loses, and loses BADLY, on Election Day. It wouldn’t hurt if McConnell loses as well.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
dudog

Post by dudog » September 25th, 2020, 7:45 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 7:32 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Yesterday I had a long chat with a colleague about all of this. He doesn’t think the Supreme Court will support Trump’s blatantly fascist techniques, regardless of who’s on the court. He thinks Trump is seriously underestimating them. Recall that Gorsuch, at least, has been rebuked by Trump for not voting in lockstep with what he wanted. I’m sure his newest justice will be chosen for such a time as this, and Democrats should seriously learn of this person’s stance on voting.

My colleague also predicts that it would go down like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Nixon. In other words, for something this important, the court will be united in their decision. However, I cannot help but remember this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_v._Gore. I don’t think anything will be unanimous; I think Trump will have at least 2 votes. He’s choosing a new Justice that will give him at least 1 vote, and Kavanaugh has always voted in lockstep with whatever Trump wants. The only chance we have is if my colleague is correct about the Supremes.

I saw somewhere that mail-in ballots will be the hanging chad of this year’s election, and I think they’re right. Trump and the Republicans already have lawyers looking into ways to get absentee ballots tossed. Our best hope is that he loses, and loses BADLY, on Election Day. It wouldn’t hurt if McConnell loses as well.
The problem with SC Justices now, they never say anything in their hearings. Even if they have a record in writing, they are wishy-washy about it and say being on the SC is different, and their demeanor will somehow change. I trust Roberts, but I certainly don't trust Thomas or Alito, and Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are so new I'm not sure. I fully expect tomorrow's nominee to be fully in his pocket, that is the only qualification he is asking about in his personal interviews with them. They could be pro-abortion in the 9th month, all he cares about with this one is personal loyalty.

The problem (for them) with tossing absentee ballots, it could just as easily hurt them. You really don't know if you're tossing one of your own votes.
dudog

Post by dudog » September 25th, 2020, 7:53 am

Publicly traded firms paid dividends, bought their own stock after receiving PPP loans to pay employees

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smallbu ... li=BBnb7Kz

I've never been a socialist, am not one now, but this country is seriously f'ed up. All of these companies need to be publicly outed, and boycotted until they are bankrupt.
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » September 25th, 2020, 10:44 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
[1] Our best hope is that he loses, and loses BADLY.
dudog wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 7:45 am
[2] The problem (for them) with tossing absentee ballots, it could just as easily hurt them. You really don't know if you're tossing one of your own votes.
ArkieDukie wrote:
[3] The only chance we have is if my colleague is correct about the Supremes.
From this morning’s discussion, I’ll focus on these points.

[1] AD is right. I’d go so far as to say the only way to avoid a constitutional crisis is for Biden to win so clearly, including winning several toss-up states by a solid margin, that it would be obvious even to a substantial number of “reluctant” Trump voters that Biden has been elected. Such a result isn’t entirely unthinkable. It would save the country.

But this optimum result isn’t likely to be known on election night. The longer it takes for Biden’s “obvious” victory to become obvious, the more mischief Trump fanatics can churn up. So although not unthinkable, an indisputable Biden landslide isn’t probable.

[2] I’m not entirely certain about the exact process by which Trump local and state election officials will implement Trump’s “Get rid of the ballots.” Although just dumping ballots in several battleground states would toss votes cast for both candidates, the working assumption is that a higher percentage of Trump voters will vote in person. Hence, chances are that “invalidating” a significant number of ballots will hurt Biden

Moreover, not only do I not discount the possibility that in selected areas Trump election officials will have found a way to distinguish between Biden and Trump ballots, I expect exactly that. I’ll guess that not all of our traditional safeguards will safeguard this election. Trump will do anything he can get away with, as will some of his supporters. Anything.

[3] I assume there’s a significant chance the Court will decide the election. Until RBG’s passing, Roberts had become the Court’s swing vote. I’ll guess Roberts will vote with the 3 liberals, and that Alito, Thomas, and the new justice will vote for fascism.

The keys, I’ll guess, will be Kavanaugh and Gorsuch. I worry that Kavanaugh will not be able to overcome the memory of what he sees as his outrageous treatment by Judiciary Committee Democrats. Will Kavanaugh want revenge?

If yes — this is all best-guess speculation — that would leave Gorsuch as the deciding vote. My worry there concerns Gorsuch’s judicial philosophy: “originalism” and “textualism.” I could see Gorsuch honing in on the following phrase in the Constitution, Article II, Section 1, Paragraph 2: “Each State shall appoint, in such manner as the legislature thereof may direct, a number of electors....”. Because Republicans control the state legislatures in several battleground states, even if Biden appears to have won said states, these Republicans will appoint an “alternate slate” of electors, pledged to support Trump.

Even in cases of obvious attempts by Republican-controlled legislatures to overturn the vote in their state, Gorsuch’s “originalism” and “textualism” can amount to the narrowest, anti-democratic “literalism.” In which case, Gorsuch could argue that the Founding Fathers empowered state legislatures, not voters, to select the electors to the Electoral College. He could — “reluctantly,”I have no doubt — rule in favor of Trump electors.

I am not confident that 2 of Roberts, Gorsuch, and Kavanaugh will uphold democracy. I just don’t know. I hope I am wrong, and that AD’s friend is right. I hope that both Trump and I are misreading the Supreme Court. As long as I’m hoping, I’ll hope for a 9-0 decision repudiating the fascists’ attempt to overthrow our constitutional democratic republic. Given the praise among Trump supporters for a “generational conservative Court,” a repudiation by that conservative Court of an attempted coup would go a long way to breaking our fascist fever.
dudog

Post by dudog » September 25th, 2020, 10:54 am

gumbomoop wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 10:44 am
...our fascist fever.
If only it was as benign as rockin' pneumonia and the boogie woogie flu. A little music always soothes my soul:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ra1DEd1ueA
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » September 27th, 2020, 10:20 pm

10FF5176-23B3-461B-BDBB-FD1F0D28637E.jpeg
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.