Exercise!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school

What a week!

Post by bluebutton » June 18th, 2011, 11:43 am

Finally, got in Week 3 Day 3. It's been a maddening week with each kid being on a different sleep schedule leaving me very, very sleepless.

The infant had a great night last night just waking at 2AM and 6AM--would have been my best night of sleep to date except our toddler woke up at 4:30!! She's never done that before.

On the upside, by 930AM they were both asleep again, so I snuck out for a run at 10 when my husband got back in from yard work.

Onward ho!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Exercise!

Post by YmoBeThere » June 18th, 2011, 10:51 pm

I did yard work today, but did not exercise...
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 23rd, 2011, 9:41 pm

W3D1 of Couch to 5K today. I actually did much better than I feared I would. That last 3 min run is a LONG 3 min, though. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 26th, 2011, 9:49 pm

W3D3 of Couch to 5K!

My treadmill workout was made more enjoyable by yesterday's purchase of wireless headphones. I can hear the TV much better now, and I don't have to blast the volume. :-BD
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 27th, 2011, 9:18 pm

After some sluggy days and other things interfering, I did Week 3, Day 1 on the treadmill. It was not an auspicious event; I managed to pause the program for 5 minutes while adjusting my armband, and I yanked out my headphones accidentally and had to pause the treadmill completely to get everything back rolling again. But I did get it done! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:

Hopefully I can do day 2 on Thursday (church meeting Wednesday night) and get back on schedule with my non-slug buddies here.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 28th, 2011, 11:43 am

Have you watched the Extreme Makeover Edition on Monday evenings, with Chris Powell? The people are extreme obese, and Chris works with them for a year! Moves in with the person for 90 days, and works with them on Exercise and Nutrion. In their home, converts a room into a gym. Its amazing. I dont know how many hours a day, they exercise, but it is truly an amazing show and journey watching someone, completely change!!!
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » June 30th, 2011, 5:14 am

Well "Week 4" is going really slowly--I completed day 1 last Monday and day 2 only yesterday. BUT surprisingly yesterday didn't feel that bad...I mean other than it being 97 dgr outside. My legs and lungs managed and it wasn't too humid so I didn't sweat as much as I thought I would.

Woohoo--slow progress is still progress and I'll take it. Keep on keepin' on, ladies.
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 30th, 2011, 10:20 am

bluebutton wrote:Well "Week 4" is going really slowly--I completed day 1 last Monday and day 2 only yesterday. BUT surprisingly yesterday didn't feel that bad...I mean other than it being 97 dgr outside. My legs and lungs managed and it wasn't too humid so I didn't sweat as much as I thought I would.

Woohoo--slow progress is still progress and I'll take it. Keep on keepin' on, ladies.
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
What's the progression with Week 4? After Week 3 Day 1 on the Arc Trainer I read that I burn more calories running on or off a treadmill, so I switched over to the treadmill and went back to Week 2. Today I hope to do Week 3 Day 2 on the treadmill, which would put me starting week 4 early next week.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 30th, 2011, 5:02 pm

Left work early, went with Sasha :O3 to the V-E-T, then dropped her off and went to gym. Week 3, Day 2. Where's the smilie on oxygen?

Seriously, it wasn't that bad. Not that good, but not that bad, either.
Iron Duke #1471997.
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » June 30th, 2011, 11:23 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
What's the progression with Week 4? After Week 3 Day 1 on the Arc Trainer I read that I burn more calories running on or off a treadmill, so I switched over to the treadmill and went back to Week 2. Today I hope to do Week 3 Day 2 on the treadmill, which would put me starting week 4 early next week.
Wk 4 is 3 days of running 3 min, walking, running 5 min, walking and doing it all over again for a total of 16 min of running time. The 5 min blocks weren't as bad as I thought they'd be.

Good luck!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 5th, 2011, 9:16 pm

Week 3, Day 3 done. Where's the smilie on his/her back, gasping for breath?

Just kidding. It wasn't that bad. :duke: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » July 5th, 2011, 10:25 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Week 3, Day 3 done. Where's the smilie on his/her back, gasping for breath?

:)) :))

Way to go! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Next time I run I'll be doing wk5 day 1. wish me luck.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 5th, 2011, 10:45 pm

bluebutton wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Week 3, Day 3 done. Where's the smilie on his/her back, gasping for breath?

:)) :))

Way to go! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Next time I run I'll be doing wk5 day 1. wish me luck.
You go, Bluebutton! :happy-bouncyblue: :clap: ^:)^
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » July 6th, 2011, 1:32 am

I got in a 25 min. walk after the sun went down tonight, but before it was too dark. Mt. Rainier was visible in the distance, and at points, caught the outlines of the Olympic & Cascade ranges as well. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Seattle summer. It screams, "Get outside and DO SOMETHING."

(Note: said screaming can be somewhat stressful when all you want to do is veg out in front of the TV on a lazy Sunday morning, but those are problems to have.)
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » July 6th, 2011, 7:12 am

DevilAlumna wrote:I got in a 25 min. walk after the sun went down tonight, but before it was too dark. Mt. Rainier was visible in the distance, and at points, caught the outlines of the Olympic & Cascade ranges as well. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Seattle summer. It screams, "Get outside and DO SOMETHING."

(Note: said screaming can be somewhat stressful when all you want to do is veg out in front of the TV on a lazy Sunday morning, but those are problems to have.)
Woohoo--that sounds lovely! Did you go with FutureDA? Does she like walks?

Couple summers ago my husband and I took a road trip from LA to Seattle. His family is from there and I have some relatives there but it was my first visit. I really enjoyed the outdoors there. The long evenings were great.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 6th, 2011, 11:46 am

DevilAlumna wrote:I got in a 25 min. walk after the sun went down tonight, but before it was too dark. Mt. Rainier was visible in the distance, and at points, caught the outlines of the Olympic & Cascade ranges as well. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Seattle summer. It screams, "Get outside and DO SOMETHING."

I :x Mt. Rainier! The in-laws live in Tacoma, and the area is just lovely. I have terrific pix on my digital frame of Mt. Rainier, and Commencement Bay, and views from the Space Needle, etc.

Did Future DA get out as well?
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » July 6th, 2011, 2:18 pm

bluebutton wrote: Woohoo--that sounds lovely! Did you go with FutureDA? Does she like walks?

Couple summers ago my husband and I took a road trip from LA to Seattle. His family is from there and I have some relatives there but it was my first visit. I really enjoyed the outdoors there. The long evenings were great.
FutureDA seems to think that the car seat/stroller is her personal instance of hell on earth, and screams commensurately. It'd almost be laughable, except she looks so tortured. :-w

I can take short walks with her in the sling carrier, but I wanted to go farther last night and frankly, I just needed to get out of the house without her, so she stayed at home with dad.

Hope your newest is doing well!
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » July 6th, 2011, 10:56 pm

DevilAlumna wrote: FutureDA seems to think that the car seat/stroller is her personal instance of hell on earth, and screams commensurately. It'd almost be laughable, except she looks so tortured. :-w

I can take short walks with her in the sling carrier, but I wanted to go farther last night and frankly, I just needed to get out of the house without her, so she stayed at home with dad.
Ah yes. My first felt this way about the jogging stroller--fortunately that stroller was given to us otherwise that would have been a lot of money for nothin'. As I mentioned before, I run on my own for basically both those reasons--unhappy kid in stroller and need for some personal time.
DevilAlumna wrote:
Hope your newest is doing well!
He's doing great. Do wish he'd get out of his grumpy evening phase. Recently, we've been spending 5-9PM trying to get him to sleep--he's tired but wanting to exercise those lungs I guess.

:(( <-- what he does and how we feel :Boo: :sigh: :YMPRAY:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 7th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Week 4, Day 1. The last run was tough but I made it all the way on the iPod to the victory song, "Devil with the Blue Dress On." :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » July 13th, 2011, 6:22 am

Wk 5 Day 1.

I'm using a free podcast down load and it was worth every penny last night. It had music but only a cue to start running after a 5 min warm up. so I ran for 10 min before doing the math and realizing things were messed up. I'm glad I looked at the print out of the program. I was supposed to do 3 sets of 5 min running and 3 min walking. I ended up walking three min and then ran another 5 min. So I got the same total amt of run time--15 min.

That said, I would have felt better if it hadn't been 10 days since my last run. It's been a hard couple weeks at our house :(