Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » February 1st, 2017, 8:43 pm

Althea-Weyerbacher Brewing

Two dates on neck of bottle: 9/10/15 and 9/10/16, assuming brewed on and best by, respectively. Well, I missed it but I'm not worried as Belgian-style ales sometimes can be aged 1-5 years and this is a Belgian dubble style ale. Pour was a slightly cloudy ruby-brown with a generous, lacy, persistent tan head. Typical aromas of dark, dried fruits, brown sugar and caramel. Tastes mirrored the scents with a bit of dark rum, too, along with hints of plum, I guess, but not sure I would have noticed or commented on that had it not been printed on the label . No IBUs listed so I'll estimate 30 and the ABV is 7.7%. This was a Total Wine close-out last summer that was probably about $6 for the corked and caged 750 ml bottle, including the $2 clearance sticker and another buck off coupon I had. Well worth the price as I divided it over 2 nights, but don't go searching for it as they have it on their list of retired beers This would have made a nice pairing with a fruitcake or spice cake over the holidays.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 2nd, 2017, 10:33 pm

From 2/20/16:
devildeac wrote:Ovila-Sierra Nevada and the Abbey of New Clairveux

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/specialty/ovila

And the one ricks68 was kind/smart enough to snag from the Mills River, NC location of SN is not even listed in their "3 pack." Yet.

Here's the story:

"Our Ovila® Abbey Ales series is a collaboration with the monks of the Abbey of New Clairvaux in Vina, CA. Each beer is a modern twist on a traditional Belgian-style abbey ale—monastic inspiration and American innovation. These rotating Ovila Abbey Ales highlight, when possible, local ingredients grown and harvested by the monks on their nearly 600-acre working farm. We hope you enjoy these one-of-a-kind collaboration ales." Who knew monks could brew beer? :p ;)

Here's the beer:

Poured into a pint glass from a corked and caged 375 ml bottle. It's a quad style so it was a ruby-purple tinged dark brown with very little head. Scents of raisins, dates and figs and a cornucopia of flavors of the same along with dark candi sugar and a rummy, Plumlee, err, plum-like finish. I'll guess low IBUs of 20-30 and the ABV is listed at 10.2% so another dangerously quaffable Belgian-style concoction. This is truly an outstanding ale so another hearty shout to ricks68 for selecting.

From last PM:

Ovila Quad-Sierra Nevada and the Abbey of New Clairveux

No date on the bottle so I'm not sure if this one is from the rick68's over-stocked beer storage facility or if SN brewed this again recently and he procured this single this summer or fall.

This bottle was rather Malbec/Merlot-like in the nose and on the palate. I'm not sure I could discern the plum flavors if tasted blindly but it certainly had all the characteristics of the Belgian quad style as above. At $3/375 ml, it's a very nice value and made a fine nightcap last PM, sipped slowly from my large Ommegang tulip. Thanks again to ricks68!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 4th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Barrel-Aged Narwhal 2015-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Now this is decadent.

Take the above review, throw it in some old bourbon barrels for a few months and you have delicious vanilla, toasted coconut, woody and boozey flavors in your mix now. Oh, and the ABV goes up to 12.9%. Whoa! The price you pay however is close to $20 for the 750 ml corked and caged bottle vs the $12 for the 4 pack of 12 ounce bottles of the non-BBA version. The BBA version is a great treat and I've got a large format bottle of the 2016 version plus a wine barrel aged version, too, courtesy of a ricks68 drop-off last month.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 5th, 2017, 9:38 pm

You're welcome! My turn:

The Raspberry Wild One-Bell's Brewery

Bottle date: 7/8/16 (they brewed this to celebrate our anniversary!)
Bottle #: 1970 of 3920
Batch: 15438
Shelf life: Unlimited
Color: ruby-dark amber
Head: 1 finger-disappeared quickly
Nose: raspberry jam and cherry/apple cider vinegar
Taste: Rodenbach/Grand Cru with raspberry and cherry syrup-more sour/acetic/funky than sweet
IBUs: I'll guess 20 (Bell's doesn't believe in listing IBUs )
ABV: 6.6%

Bell's notes: "Raspberry Wild One begins, not as a single beer, but distinct batches fermented in wooden foeders each with its own array of flavors.

Our brewers sample and blend to taste, resulting in a refreshing brown ale with a tartness buoyed by fragrant aromas of ripe red raspberry, cherry, apple and a bit of funk from Brettanomyces yeast."

Additional info/thoughts: I shared half the 750 ml corked and caged bottle with Mrs. dd (who politely drank 2-3 ounces) and younger daughter (who gladly drank 4-5 ounces) last PM in champagne flutes and finished the bottle tonight myself from a large Ommegang chalice. The comparison with the New Glarus Raspberry Tart is an apt one (both raspberry brown ales aged in oak) but the Brett fermentation adds another layer of complexity to this one. Given a single choice, I'd take the Raspberry Tart at less than half the cost (~$12 vs $26 ). This a tremendous ale and I'm happy ricks68 and mattman91 passed on their bottles so fuse and I could each have 3 . I think I'll save bottle #2 for Christmas or New Year's Eve, 2017.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 6th, 2017, 8:50 pm

devildeac wrote:From 1/9/16:

The Dweller (2014)-Green Man Brewery

Mattman on top of it with this one. Thanks!

The story (recounted but not redacted):

Fuse, mattman and their special guests and I met at Raleigh Brewing and exchanged ales almost a year ago and mattman felt guilty that he had been overly gifted with our brews so he went and purchased a buncha fancy Beer City beverages and returned the favor to me in May during our visit there, assuming of course that I'd deliver the "extras" to fuse, which, amazingly, I did. This bomber was kindly included in the package.

The beer:

Poured a dark, dark brown with a modest-sized, beige head, this imperial stout was cellared (no mention of bourbon, wine or any barrels) until they thought it ready and it was released in late 2014. Medium roast coffee and dark chocolate aromas up front with complex, heavy notes of semi-sweet chocolate, espresso, black strap molasses and licorice on the taste buds. I have no clue what the grains and hops are or any additives but the tastes could be there from any or all of the aforementioned ingredients. I'll guess IBUs of 50 and the ABV is listed at 10% so I was happy to have sipped this over 3 nights this week. Serve this all alone or with a portion of any chocolate/caramel dessert.

From 2/21/16:

The Dweller (2016)-Green Man Brewing

Ricks68 gets the beer sporks for this one, now available in 12 ounce bottles and dated 1/18/16 so it was fresh stuff.

Pretty similar sniffing and quaffing thoughts with this one, perhaps a bit heavy on the licorice notes but enough dark chocolate-y and molasses flavors for balance. IBUs listed at 65 on the label and the ABV is still 10%, both pretty standard numbers for an imperial stout, so it was a OAD last PM. Worth seeking out and procuring a 4 pack for tasting, sharing and cellaring one for next year.
From last PM:

Dweller-Green Man Brewing

There's a buncha numbers part way around the base of the bottle but I have no clue whether this was an early or late 2016 brewing salvaged from the back of ricks68's storage center. Either way, now I think I know what fuse is describing when he posts about soy tastes. I'm not sure whether this was a bad bottle/batch or was exposed to light too long but it just wasn't that good, mildly chilled or warmed near room temperature. Thanks to ricks68 for the delivery but I'll withhold beer sporks on this single bottle.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 6th, 2017, 10:13 pm

Table Beer-Allagash Brewing Company

Pretty complex stuff for a table beer. Labeled on the bottle as a dry-hopped Belgian style ale, the 12 ounce pour from a bottle was a slightly cloudy, pale straw color with a lacy and linger 2-fingered head. I'll swear there's pear and pineapple aromas wafting from my pint glass. Tastes include some Granny Smith apples, a splash of grapefruit, maybe some mango and peach, a drop of resin with a slightly spicy (coriander added) and peppery finish. Smells sweeter than it tastes. No IBUs listed so I'll guess 50 and the ABV is only 4.8% but it is well balanced. I'd serve this with some sauteed shrimp and pasta with a chunky tomato and "fried" spinach sauce. This was a single from my February beer club 4 pack.

Their ingredients:

Grains: Allagash 2-Row Blend, Maris Otter, Maine-Grown Oats
Hops: Chinook, Cascade, Comet, Azacca
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 7th, 2017, 9:52 pm

From 12/20/15:
devildeac wrote:From 6/13/14:

Old Curmudgeon Ale (or is it Curmudgeon Old Ale?)-Founders Brewing

This was my last bottle of the 2/2013 brewing and just had to sip it Wednesday night to give it another pouring after not really enjoying my last bottle due to a stale taste. This one was far better, classic for the old ale style and re-affirmed my thoughts that this is really a fabulous beer that got better with 1+ year of aging. Poured a slightly cloudy brown-burgundy with a small head, the scents were brown sugar and vanilla with tastes of dark caramel, dark dried fruits, vanilla, oak and a bit of rum. Was even smoother and more flavorful as it warmed a bit over 30 minutes. Definitely an after dinner/dessert/night cap beer. IBUs were 50 and the ABV was 9.8%. It is listed as being available from April-June so it might be worth a trip to your favorite specialty store to procure a 4 pack.

2015 edition (actually bottle dated 1/13/15 so this bottle was aged 11 months already)

Just as smooth as above. I'm guessing I bought this last month at Total Wine for about $11 for the 4 pack with my buck off coupon. Anytime you see this on the shelf, buy 4 and drink one that night, cellar one for a year and trade the others for some sort of Bastards.
From last night and tonight:

Curmudgeon (1/13/15)-Founders Brewing

Last night, six ounces of this was delicious as it warmed in an Alewerks snifter. Tonight, even after (wine) corking tightly for 24 hours, it tasted slightly oxidized and a bit flatter than yesterday. So, the lesson is probably age for less than 2 years and sip all 12 ounces slowly over one evening or share with friend.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 8th, 2017, 4:58 pm

From 4/12/16:
devildeac wrote:From 11/16/14:

(in celebration of ol roy, who fits the description well, and his NC (non-championship) this month)

Backwoods Bastard (bottled on 9/26/14)-Founders Brewing

This is a fascinating creation. My guess is that it is a variation of their Dirty Bastard which is a scotch type ale with a bit of peat and smoke. This blends nicely with the oak aging in whiskey barrels which gives it a bit of vanilla, a bit of oak and a moderate amount of boozey bourbon flavor. There are a ton of dark cherries in the brew with very mild bitterness and an IBU of 50. The ABV of 10.2% makes this quite a sipper so I'd serve it at cellar temperature in a snifter with a plate of fruit or some soft, mild cheeses for dessert. Might be heavenly with some chocolate covered strawberries. This was another August West contribution that 4 of us shared and tried to squeeze the last drop or two out of the 12 ounce bottle when we were done.

From tonight (4/12/16):

Somehow, I must have had one of my own sequestered after all these 18+ months .

Clarification: There are no cherries in this ale but it sure tastes like it.

Other tastes: Toasted coconut, figs, dates and dark caramel.

Cost: I think about $14 for the 4 pack and worth it.

Ratings: beeradvocate 95; ratebeer 100
From last PM:

Backwoods Bastard (bottled on 9/24/15)-Founders Brewing

From a ricks68 delivery during a late 2015 tailgate, IIRC. Two down, two remaining.

This was a 12 ounce bottle poured with a thin, tan head into a snifter and sipped over about an hour. Whisky and dark fruit juices on the nose. Brown sugar, cherries, dates, figs, raisins, vanilla, toasted coconut, light smoke and booze on the taste buds. Lots of booze. Still 50 IBUs but they've raised the bar on the ABV and it's now 11.6%. Nightcap. No food pairings. Outstanding again. The other two will be gone before 9/17.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 11th, 2017, 10:14 am

Fromn 2/4/17:
devildeac wrote:Barrel-Aged Narwhal 2015-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Now this is decadent.

Take the above review, throw it in some old bourbon barrels for a few months and you have delicious vanilla, toasted coconut, woody and boozey flavors in your mix now. Oh, and the ABV goes up to 12.9%. Whoa! The price you pay however is close to $20 for the 750 ml corked and caged bottle vs the $12 for the 4 pack of 12 ounce bottles of the non-BBA version. The BBA version is a great treat and I've got a large format bottle of the 2016 version plus a wine barrel aged version, too, courtesy of a ricks68 drop-off last month.
From 2/9/17:

Barrel-Aged Narwhal 2016 (red wine barrel version)-Sierra Nevada Brewing

This was my Trip in the Woods celebration Thursday night. Yes, the entire 750 ml corked and caged bottle over 2 hours. Sipped from a standard pint glass as it warmed to near room temperature. Different from the BBA 2015 version? Hell, yea! Not sure what the IBUs are but I'll guess 50 based on the imperial stout style. The ABV is moderately lower, too, at 10.5%. The appearance was similar except being ruby-tinged and all the usual BBA features (woody, coconut-y, vanilla-y) have been replaced with vinous tastes of currants, blackberries, raspberries and some slightly astringent tannins. I think this was $16-17 as it was part of a 3 pack with ricks68 taking the rum barrel-aged version. Very nice victory ale, albeit in a quantity that was a bit too large for the evening. I think this would make a great pairing with your favorite steak with some grilled haricot verts and a stuffed or twice-baked potato.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 11th, 2017, 10:42 am

Steak Knives (draft at brewery)-Fullsteam Brewing

Many thanks to ricks68 last PM for this $5 half pint treat from his illicitly/improperly obtained 2016 Super Bowl winnings and debited from his Fullsteam gift card.

Pour was an almost black, thinly-headed imperial version of their outstanding Coffee is for Closers. Wonderful espresso aromas with a smooth and silky but thick and almost chewy mouthfeel. Tastes of dark roast coffee, dark chocolate and dark fruits with some black strap molasses. Did I mention that this is one helluva dark beer ? I'll guess IBUs about 40-50 and the ABV was 11% so quite the start for the evening's tastings. Would be decadent with any chocolate dessert or bread pudding but was delicious by itself, too. Would have been $40 for a 64 ounce growler and fuse (in absentia) and I decided not to purchase that large a quantity at that large a price
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 11th, 2017, 10:52 am

Brumley Forest (draft at brewery)-Fullsteam Brewing

Only had a small sample of this before the big boy, Steak Knives, was consumed. It's a "foraged" brew from their series/tradition and included black walnuts (or, if OPK and DinK prefer, walnus ), hickory nuts, sassafras root and one other additive that I can't remember but ricks68 might as he bought a bomber. Dark brown pour with a small head and very earthy/herbal aromas and tastes along with some roasted nuttiness and a bit of licorice. I'll guess IBUs of 40 and ABV was on the menu at 8% and listed as an imperial/Baltic Porter. This would also be good with a spiced/rubbed brisket or your favorite steak. Not sure if it could be considered a dessert beer. Will be interested to read what ricks68 thinks about it if/when he gets around to sipping it 2-3 years .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 11th, 2017, 4:35 pm

Biere de Garde (draft)-Ponysaurus Brewing

First of a 4 bier sampler. Appearance was a medium amber with a thin, tan head. Nose of wheat crackers and almonds with tastes of toasted bread, underripe apples and pears. Minimal bitterness, guessing IBUs of 20 with 3 types of barley plus wheat (no, not that wheat, oats and rye but no mustiness. ABV was 6.3% and paired nicely with a turkey, avocado, peppered bacon sammich on grilled sourdough bread. A very pleasant starter.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 11th, 2017, 4:40 pm

Plum Gose (draft)-Ponysaurus Brewing

Second sample, also still munching that sammich. Light purple/brown hue, small head and a slightly salty, fruity aromas with mildly spicy, salty and subtle plumlee, err, plummy tastes. IBUs low here, probably < 10 and ABV was 6%, a shade high for the style. Biere de Garde better so far.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 11th, 2017, 4:44 pm

Winter IPA (draft)-Ponysaurus Brewing

In the 3rd slot, a citrus-y, pine-y aroma up front from a slightly orange-yellow pour with a thin head. Tastes were grapefruit, some dried pineapple and apricot and a bit of resin. No IBUs listed but I'll venture 50-60 with the ABV at 7%. Sammich gone now so working on different snack mixes with a bit of spice/heat to them. Good pairing. I still liked the Biere de Garde a bit better but this was better than the Gose.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 11th, 2017, 4:52 pm

Scotch Ale (draft)-Ponysaurus Brewing

Winner. Not by much but this is as TW says above, a quality effort. Medium red-brown pour, small tan head, toasted wheat bread aromas with butterscotch, caramel and light brown sugar tastes with a hint of smoke. I'll estimate IBUs around 30 and the ABV was on the board at 7.2%. Good pairing with the last few crumbs of snack mixes. Nice finish to an evening with my better half and Mr. and Mrs. ricks68.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 12th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Southern Sixer-Highland Brewing Company

Sixes are wild! There are 6 varieties of hops in this new, 60 IBU seasonal IPA with an ABV at 6% and named for the Southern Sixers, a group of Southern Appalachian mountains that are >6000 feet in elevation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Sixers).

The 12 ounce bottle was included in my February beer club 4 pack and poured a gold-yellow color with a moderate meringue-like head. Tropical and citrusy aromas with fresh, grapefruity and pineapple-y tastes along with some honey, peach and mango flavors with a mildly bitter, piney finish. Pretty well-balanced as even our younger daughter and her husband, neither of whom are IPA fans, gave this smiles when I shared sips with them last PM. I'd serve this with mildly spicy fare.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 12th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Hard Wired Nitro-Left Hand Brewing Company

A rival for Coffee is for Closers . Obviously, this is a coffee porter which somehow has been "nitro'd" into a 12 ounce bottle. Appearance is almost black and the pour has a fairly typical "nitro" head which was tan, thick and persistent. On the nasal passages? Cuppa Joe. On the tongue? Dark Columbian roast with some baker's chocolate/cocoa and burned caramel. Perhaps a bit thin but it's a porter and not any variety of stout, though we could certainly have a nice discussion about the definitions of porters and stouts. IBUs are 30 and the ABV is 6%. I'll take a square of peanut butter chocolate chunk brownie with this. Nice addition to my beer club February 4 pack. Here are the ingredients:

Malt: 2-Row, Munich, Chocolate, Crystal, Carafa
Hops: Centennial, Cascade
Other: Coffee
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 13th, 2017, 10:03 pm

From 5/13/16:
devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:From 2/19/15:

Carolina Mountain Monster-Asheville Brewing Company

Many thanks to ricks68 for safely transporting this to Raleigh several weeks ago. This is probably the thickest motor oil, err, Russian imperial stout that I've ever tasted. Poured a thick, oily black hue with a somewhat surprising generous latte-colored creamy head that lingered forever. Nose of dark chocolate, black strap molasses with a small splash of espresso. Tastes of the same with some dark fruits and some Godiva chocolate liqueur. The SRM is only 75 but I've tasted the Rogue XS Imperial Stout and several of the Southern Tier chocolate beers with Lovibond ratings of 240-250 and this easily rivals those. IBUs are listed at 55 and the ABV is a stunning 12.5%, also the highest ABV in a RIS that I can recall and good reason to divide this bomber over two nights or share with a friend or three.

From 5/11/16 and 5/12/16:

Carolina Mountain Monster (bottled on 1/21/15)-Asheville Brewing Company

Mini-vertical with the 2016 version (to follow). Perhaps a bit smoother and richer after over a year in glass. I'm not sure whether ricks68 saved a bottle from last year or found a 2015 version this year when he bought the 2016 edition. Either way, a hearty tip of the snifter to him (more likely the lovely and vivacious Mrs. ricks68 ). Thinner head after cellaring and maybe a bit more chocolate and a tad less coffee aromas and tastes.
Carolina Mountain Monster (bottled February, 2016)-ABC

A bit thinner pour, appearance, mouthfeel and ABV than its older sibling. Small head, lots of bakers chocolate, molasses and espresso aromas with a fair amount of dark, dried fruit flavors upon sipping. The SRM and IBUs are the same and the ABV has been dropped to 11% but I'm not sure I could discern that or really appreciate much difference versus the 2015 elixir. Still pretty potent stuff as about 7 ounces of each of these the last 2 nights has made the stair climb a bit of an adventure . I've got about 8 ounces of each left tonight. Maybe I should sip them both upstairs this evening .
From this weekend:

From this weekend:

c*rolina Mountain Monster (bottled 2/1016)-Asheville Brewing Company

Lovingly delivered by ricks68 this weekend with 11 ounces consumed Saturday and Sunday nights. Pretty similar to my initial review, perhaps picking up a bit of licorice in the aging process. I don't think it had turned but I wouldn't age this one any longer than a year.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 14th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Black Chocolate Stout (winter 2011-12)-Brooklyn Brewing Company (Utica, NY )

Clearing out inventory .

Appearance: darn near black, wispy head
Nose: Dark chocolate, a little coffee, molasses and soy (uh-oh)
Tastes: the same as the aromas with a hint of licorice
IBU: Prolly about 60
ABV: 10%

Other impressions: They're not spoiled/turned (They as in "I'm having a vertical tonight and tomorrow of the '11/'12/'13, shortly before I become horizontal" .) but the soy-ness of imperial stouts is becoming more understandable. I still like this RIS and have for probably 20 years as it was the first brew I sampled at a very early World Beer Festival at the Omni (?) Hotel in Derm and really, really liked it. Times and tastes change and there are an incredible amount of imperial stouts on the market now with so many iterations that it's tough to keep returning to this one, even at about $8 for a 4 pack. They're now marketed in 6ers for about $15 and I got a winter 2016-17 in my January beer club 4 pack and will probably taste that by itself on Thursday night.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 14th, 2017, 8:38 pm

devildeac wrote:Black Chocolate Stout (winter 2011-12)-Brooklyn Brewing Company (Utica, NY )

Clearing out inventory .

Appearance: darn near black, wispy head
Nose: Dark chocolate, a little coffee, molasses and soy (uh-oh)
Tastes: the same as the aromas with a hint of licorice
IBU: Prolly about 60
ABV: 10%

Other impressions: They're not spoiled/turned (They as in "I'm having a vertical tonight and tomorrow of the '11/'12/'13, shortly before I become horizontal" .) but the soy-ness of imperial stouts is becoming more understandable. I still like this RIS and have for probably 20 years as it was the first brew I sampled at a very early World Beer Festival at the Omni (?) Hotel in Derm and really, really liked it. Times and tastes change and there are an incredible amount of imperial stouts on the market now with so many iterations that it's tough to keep returning to this one, even at about $8 for a 4 pack. They're now marketed in 6ers for about $15 and I got a winter 2016-17 in my January beer club 4 pack and will probably taste that by itself on Thursday night.
Black Chocolate Stout (winter 2012-13)-Brooklyn Brewing Company (Utica, NY-WTH?)

I'm not sure I can tell much difference between this and the '11-'12 version. Perhaps a bit smoother but basically the same RIS flavors. There are no additive to this and apparently never have been. I may use one of the '12/'13 I have left for beer floats later this month or in March.