Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » January 11th, 2017, 7:28 am

Death by Coconut-Oskar Blues Brewing

Liquid Mounds bar. Coconut chocolate cake.

Poured dark, dark brown from a 12 ounce can into a pint glass with a moderate mocha head. Sweetened coconut aromas followed by dark caramel, semi-sweet chocolate, dark brown sugar, a small splash of coffee and Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut flavors. Next to no bitterness with IBUs at 25 and very sippable with ABV at 6.5%. Sure, one could pair it with pound cake or custard, but why?
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 12th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Smoking Wood 2014-The Bruery

In small capital letters on label:

CONTAINS ALCOHOL

=))

Style: smoked imperial rye porter aged in bourbon barrels
Appearance: dark, dark, dark brown with thin, mocha head
Aromas: semi-sweet dipped chocolate bourbon balls with hints of spice and mustiness
Mouthfeel: silky and viscous
Tastes: matched aromas with a drop of coffee, minimal smokiness and rye spiciness/mustiness and a ton of dark chocolate and warming booze
IBU: who cares :ymblushing: ? (guessing 30)
ABV: 14%
Pairings: You're kidding, right? (well, maybe a slice of triple chocolate cheesecake or an espresso fudge cup)

Additional tasting thoughts: This looks, smells and tastes like an imperial stout. It's not quite as good as the So Happens It's Tuesday that August West brought to the cheaters tailgate, but it's close. Very, very close.

A special genuflection and many hearty thanks to duketaylor who brought this to the cheaters tailgate in 2014 and left it, coincidentally, in my cooler and subsequently stored in my "cellar" since then, waiting patiently for his return to a tailgate in 2015 or 2016. But, alas, I couldn't wait any longer so I had 375 ml each of the last 2 nights in my Founders snifter and absolutely enjoyed every ml of it. So, kind sir, I know you spent about $20 on this bad boy and I will repay you at some point this MBB season should you come to NC for a game or we meet in VA, or next fall at a FB tailgate.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 12th, 2017, 10:40 pm

'Merica-Vail Brewing Company

Batch 1-99
Bottle #675
Gift from a patient who was in Vail last month on business. That's his story. Really.

Pour was a pale straw with a small head. Faint citrus and tropical scents and tastes of light brown sugar, Juicy Juice (clarified) pineapple-orange juice and a bit of pine. Pretty standard IBUs at 45 and ABV toward the top-normal end at 6%. I had half a bomber of this tonight with a bowl of Mrs. dd's (almost) famous chili and the pairing was reasonable. I'll finish the bomber tomorrow night with some grilled salmon Casesar salad or a side dish and a starch. A good but not outstanding entry in the somewhat crowded American pale ale field.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 14th, 2017, 7:11 pm

rom 4/7/13:

Trader Joe's 2012 Vintage Ale-Unibroue Brewing

Name: 24.gif
Views: 0
Size: 11.1 KB

OK, cut the laughter, folks. I am serious here. My wife gave me a 750 ml corked and caged bottle of this for Christmas on my "suggestion" for a nice Christmas gift. I saw it last year but never made it to TJs for a bottle or three. I'm headed back there in November or December this year and may buy a case. Beer-o-philes will recognize the brewer as one of the better ones in Canada. Their products include Maudite, La Fin du Monde and Trois Pistoles, three outstanding beverages. TJs sells this annually for about $4.99 or $5.99 for the big bottle and it was a steal. Poured a creamy, thick brown with a light tan, fizzy head. Basically, it's a Belgian style dark ale with spices and natural flavorings added. I think the spices are likely nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice, much like many winter ales. There are also dark fruit tastes. I'd guess the IBU about 30 and the ABV was 9% so this was best served at 55-60 degrees in a tulip or chalice.

From last PM:

Trader Joe's 2016 Vintage Ale-Unibroue Brewing

I can hear the snickering again so cut it out .

This was a $6 or $7 large format bottle that I divided over 2 nights and was a ricks68 delivery after a Target pick-up. Thanks! I don't think it was much different than the 2012 version. Same pour, aromas and tastes with some dark rum on the finish. I tried to find a comparison/sister brew on the Unibroue site but had no luck. I've got 1 bottle left and will age until Christmas this year. Pairings? Figgy pudding or fruitcake.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2017, 6:55 pm

From 4/28/16:
devildeac wrote:The Abyss (released 12/17/15) -Deschutes Brewery

Fuse mentioned a while ago that he felt intimidated by reviewing a legendary beer and that's how I feel about this one. I've heard about it for 5 years, maybe more, but never had the chance to purchase until this month, getting a nice shipment from a store in the midwest and I divided a bomber over the last 3 nights and sipped each sampling at cellar temperatures over 30-45 minutes each, thereby allowing them to warm a bit more during the tasting.

It's an imperial stout that is 21% aged in oak bourbon barrels, 8% in oak barrels and 21% in oak wine (pinot noir) barrels. Poured almost pitch black into an Allagash 250 ml tulip with a creamy, tan head that lingered longer than I would have expected. Rich aromas of heavily roasted malts, espresso, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits, red wine and a whiff of whiskey. Tastes as complex as the aromas, if not more so, with oak/wood, less espresso than expected (none added), black strap molasses (added), black licorice (added), blackberries, tannins, prominent vinous notes with a very subtle bourbon finish. Vanilla is also an ingredient but I missed that taste. No way I'd have thought 86 IBUs but their website states this and the ABV is a dangerous 12.2%. I'm not a licorice fan but this was extremely well done and balanced and not over-powering as I recall Uinta's Labyrinth was 2-3 years ago. Another very decadent concoction. The stamp on the label states "Best After: 12/08/16" but I couldn't wait another 7-8 months on this one. Luckily, I still have 11 more bombers...
From this weekend:

The Abyss (2015)-Deschutes Brewery

Well, it is after 12/08/16 :p .

The 11 bombers became 5 in May as fuse, ricks68 and mattman each got 2. Now there are 4.

Aromas and tastes are pretty similar to the initial review with a little bit of licorice in the finish and perhaps a bit more bourbon than the first bottle. This is amazingly smooth from start to finish, night 1 to night 2 this time. I think it's time for ricks68 and mattman to taste their first bottles...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 17th, 2017, 9:30 pm

From 9/27/15:
devildeac wrote:#4:

Curieux (draft)-Allagash Brewing Company

This was actually 3rd on the tray but thought a higher ABV (11%) was better to taste after the 8.3% Spooky and before the BBA RIS. I've read/heard great reviews about this the last 2-3 years but this is my first tasting. Using "underwhelmed" or "fell short of expectations" are not quite right or fair to type as this is a wonderful ale, but, at the end of the sampler, I liked the Thirsty Dog BBA RIS better. This ale is Allagash's first step into blending/aging and it really didn't disappoint. The base beer is their Belgian style Tripel, a readily available 4 pack, that has been aged in Jim Beam barrels for 8 weeks and then blended with their regular Tripel. The result is a slightly cloudy, golden-yellow pour with a small, lacy head. Nose is typical golden ale with some clove, bananas, oranges with a whiff of booze. Tastes are delightful, also typical for the style, with mild sweetness, guessing from added Belgian candi sugar. The bourbon is quite subtle and only at the finish. I'll estimate IBUs of 20 and it is dangerously sippable, even with the high ABV. August West has a 2013 corked and caged 750 ml bottle we've delayed opening for 2 years now, but, I have a 2015 bottle I bought at World Market this summer at 20% off for $13.49, I think, so we'll have a mini-vertical with later this football tailgating season. I'd probably be a bit disappointed if I'd spent $20 on the bottle but wouldn't hesitate recommending or tasting again (and again) but I'd honestly have to admit at this point, I'd prefer the Mother Earth BBA Tripel Overhead if given a choice.
From Sunday and Monday nights:

Curieux (bottled on 4/2/15)-Allagash Brewing

We never worked this into a mini-vertical for the 2016 FB season so I divided this over 2 nights and have a bottle remaining for the 2017 FB season.

Pretty similar to above but with a moderate, lacy head that lingered for 30-40 minutes each night. Perhaps a bit less cloves and a bit more vanilla and lightly toasted coconut tastes to blend nicely with some oak-y flavors and a bit more bourbon after 21 months in the bottle. I'm not so sure about preferring the ME BBA Tripel Overhead above the Curieux after this sampling, but, I think I have a 12 ounce bottle or two of the ME from last year and just might let them sit until a fall tailgate and have a comparison then. Highly recommended.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 18th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Sidecar-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Fuse, are you out there?

Part of my January Beer Club 4 pack.

This is a rather pleasant twist on their standard pale ale and somewhat of a trend, I guess, with "fruited" IPAs or PAs. They've omitted the Perle hops and added Equinox and Mandarina so the recipe is a bit different. Plus, they've added orange rind at 2 different stages in the brewing process. Nasal impressions are OJ and light brown sugar. Oral impressions are tangerines and oranges with a bit or resin and some zest. Mildly bitter finish, but not unpleasant. IBUs and ABV slightly below their signature PA at 35 and 5.3% respectively for Sidecar. Suggested pairings would be sweet and sour chicken/shrimp/pork or almost any fish with a mango/pineapple salsa. Certainly worth a single or pint but not sure I'd buy a 6er of this. Ingredients:

YEAST Ale yeast
BITTERING HOPS Magnum
FINISHING HOPS Cascade, Equinox, Mandarina
MALTS Two-row Pale, Honey malt, Munich
OTHER Orange
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 19th, 2017, 10:16 pm

From 12/19/11:

Amber Ale-Bell's Brewing

This was a trader from younger daughter and her husband on Saturday when we went to visit them and see their Christmas decorations and 10 week old black English Lab puppy. Pretty typical brew with the expected toasted bread aroma and taste. Clean, crisp medium brown pour with a modest head. The hops are subtle with IBU about 30 and the ABV is 5.8% so a fine brew for a tasting session or with a cookout. A bit lighter in body and texture than their Best Brown Ale and comparable to Fat Tire.

From tonight:

Amber Ale (brewed on 10/25/16)-Bell's Brewing

This was a 12 ounce bottle from my January beer club 4 pack. I don't think this has changed much in 5 years as it's their flagship brew and a very solid offering. There's a bit of nuttiness and caramel on the palate and some earthy, herbal hop bite, but not unpleasant. Gimme some burgers, brats and BBQ!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 20th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Wig Splitter-3 Floyds Brewing

Needs more cream and sugar.

I'm surprised it took me this long to sample this oatmeal coffee stout after fuse labeled it "best of show" from his Naughty or Nice party last month but there are a lot of brews in my storage area . Pour from a bomber, divided over 2 nights, was a moderately thick, dark brown with a small, mocha head. Strong aromas of cold press, dark roast coffee greeted me from my pint glass each evening and they were followed by rich, strong espresso tastes and some semi-sweet chocolate. Coffee + heavily roasted malts of a stout= moderate bitterness, balanced by the soothing, silky mouthfeel from the oatmeal. I'll guess 50 IBUs here and the ABV is 7.7% so this is sitting on the edge of an imperial stout. After dinner drink/dessert style beer, perhaps accompanied by a couple chocolate chunk cookies or double chocolate brownie. Still wondering what mattman thought of this...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 21st, 2017, 9:13 am

From 10-30-16:
devildeac wrote:Really Old Brown Dog Ale-Smuttynose Brewing

Make mine a Smutty!

I thought I had tasted this before but in searching the archives, I am mistaken.

Pour was a dark amber with earthy, toffee-ish aromas. Tastes were dark caramel, mixed nuts, herbal and alcohol. This is an imperial brown ale, or old ale or stock ale as they call it. I split a 12 ounce bottle with daughter #2 tonight and it'd make a nice pairing with bovine or porcine grillings or some caramel/chocolate desserts. Ingredients were:

Grains: North American 2-Row, Crisp Pale Ale, C-15, Aromatic, Carared, Carafa II DH

Hops: Sterling

Other: Port-soaked oak chips (I'd have never guessed this .)

IBUs are 34 and ABV a bottle-conditioned 11.1%, meaning I'll have to save a bottle or two for next year from my ~$10 four pack last month (with coupon!) from Total Wine. I'll probably compare one of these this winter with a bottle of North Coast's 2015 Old Stock Ale.
From last PM:

Really Old Brown Dog Ale (2016) Smuttynose Brewing

Well, it is next year .

Probably not much different after 3 months of cellaring. Pour was a bit muddy but not chunky and I shared this bottle with myself in the wee hours this AM after a drive to the NC coast. No bottles to compare with the 2014 or 2015 Old Stock now so those will have to be solo tastings unless I have a mini-vertical over a couple nights next month.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 21st, 2017, 7:49 pm

From 5/30/14:

Running through my recent trader with fuse:

Hop, Drop and Roll-NoDa Brewing

This was a really good west coast style IPA, though with IBUs of 81 and an ABV of 7.2%, it's almost in the IIPA category. Poured from a 16 ounce can into a pint glass, the appearance was pale golden with a frothy head. Nose was a mixed citrus blend with grapefruit at the front and mango, papaya and pineapple included. They use Citra, Amarillo, Centennial, Warrior and Chinook varieties in 10 separate additions according to their can. Web site says American and English malts with Vienna and wheat which I see occasional with IPAs. Taste is citrus forward, too, but the balance is reasonable with some light caramel and bread. It would stand up well to any spicy dishes.

Another tip of the mug to fuse for including this one.

From tonight:

Hop, Drop and Roll-NoDa Brewing

Has it really been that long since I posted a review of this fine IPA as I know I've had a couple in the last year?

I don't think they've changed much, if any. Plenty of tropical and citrusy aromas and flavors in a very, very well-balanced IPA. Paired nicely with half of a 4 item fried seafood platter this evening, along with a vegetable medley, side salad and baked potato. This was my second 16 ounce can in the last month or so since I found a 6er at Bottle Revolution so the last 2 are for fuse if he'd like them...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 22nd, 2017, 9:18 am

From 8/25/16:
devildeac wrote:Edinbrüe-Brüeprint Brewing

Not the original Edinbrue, nor the BBA Edinbrue but this version of their Scotch Ale was aged in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels with Brettanomyces. So we have a dark amber ale with some ruby tinges that smells quite vinous with a whiff of vinegar and Bing cherries and tastes like a full-bodied, red wine that has been mixed with a generous aliquot of tart and sour cherry soda while you're nibbling on milk chocolate-covered toffee squares. Truly an outstanding ale that fuse was kind enough to search out a few weeks ago from his neighborhood brewery that set me back about $8 for a 500 ml bottle. I had 250 ml last PM and am letting the remaining portion warm a bit on the counter downstairs as I sip a Wicked Weed Napoleon Complex Pale Ale. The Edinbrue is probably about 30 IBUs and the ABV is a truly dangerous 9.5%. Forget pairing this with anything and sip by itself. (Well, if you insist, I guess I'd place this on the table with a medium rare 6 ounce filet mignon, a twice-baked or stuffed potato and some grilled asparagus.)

Double thanks for procuring that second bottle for me! I believe I'll cellar that one for 6-12 months.
From last PM (second half to be specific):

Edinbrüe-Brüeprint Brewing

Well, it didn't quite make it 6 months.

I'm not sure it changed that much to me except perhaps a bit more funk/sourness/vinous aspects to it after allowing the Brett to work another 5+ months on the aromas and flavors. Worth the wait/would buy again. I think fuse may have enjoyed his second bottle a bit less after waiting several months but I'd lean toward aging 6-12 months if I acquired this (or something similar) again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 24th, 2017, 9:49 pm

From 6/2/16:
devildeac wrote:Samichlaus (2010)-Castle Brewery Eggenberg

No typo. I really saved another beer 6 years (there aren't many left in the "cellar") and it was worth the wait. It was semi-intentional as I re-discovered this rotating/consolidating stock in the cellar, err, garage this spring. I did not think I had any left prior to 2011 but found this gem and "forced" myself to sip this over an hour in one sitting tonight. It is technically a double bock but really most resembles a sherry. Brown sugar and dark caramel sweet with dark cherry and very winey, sherry-like flavors. Tough to believe this is beer as it has little head but remained rather clear over the years. There was no sediment in this bottle, unlike others I've reviewed. Best served in a snifter or wine glass at cellar temperature and only as a dessert beer. Recommended to sip and savor over an hour or so as the ABV is 14% (no typo here either) and I'd guess the IBU 20-30 as it is technically a lager. I'll guess it is over $20 for a 4 pack now. The label states "The World's Most Extraordinary Beverage" which was quite a claim even 6 years ago and even more difficult to think/profess now with a lot more competitors in the very high gravity market but I still enjoy tasting one or two of these (on different nights, of course) every winter/spring, much as one enjoys seeing an old friend every year or two.
From last PM:

Samichlaus (2010)-Castle Brewery Eggenberg

This beer sucked. I'll give it an 82-84 score .

I had to wait until 2017 so I could claim 7 years of cellaring . Plus, it was the last Samichlaus in the storage unit (aka our garage). It may also be the last Samichlaus purchased for a while for the above reasons. This is technically a lager/double bock but the ABV is warming and stunning. If blindfolded (like a few acc "refs" usually are), I'm not sure I could differentiate this from a sherry. If you've never had one, it's worth a 4 pack at $20 to enjoy annually over several years or find a draft like I did for the first time ever about a month ago.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 24th, 2017, 10:14 pm

From 9/29/13:
devildeac wrote:Warlock-Southern Tier Brewing

Pumking's dark side. Part of their Blackwater Series, this imperial stout really is more of an imperial porter as the color is closer to mahogany brown and not midnight black and the consistency is a bit thinner than a RIS should be. That's not to detract from the quality either as this is like liquid pumpkin bread (but no spices) baked with coffee beans and dark chocolate chunks (thought there is no sludge in the last 30 ml of this bomber). Ale yeast, two hops, four malts plus pumpkins comprise the ingredients. I'd guess the IBU in the 50 range and we dropped down a bit in ABV with this selection to 8.6%. August West kindly provided this dessert brew. Have it alone or with any spiced cakes.
From tonight:

Warlock (DOB: 7/14/15 at 06:11:47 to be precise )-Southern Tier Brewing

It's (almost) always interesting to re-visit some brews, even if it's 18 months old .

This was included in a recent delivery from ricks68 as he tried to clean out his beer fridge, tearily parting with about a grand total of about 14 of his 200 bottle stash . I might have taken a few more bottles but his inventory reduction/clearance pricing could have been a bit better . Thanks!

They've added spices to this one as the last ingredient on the bottle is "natural flavors" and it really does taste like a slice of pumpkin pie that has been covered with melted semi-sweet chocolate chips or a dark fudge sauce. I think there's a bit less coffee tastes to this edition but the ABV has been truly "imperialized" at 10%. This is another one of those Southern Tier Blackwater Series brews that is best shared among several tasters, though I am sheepishly finishing the entire bomber tonight over about 90 minutes and the second pour/snifter is disappearing very slowly.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 25th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Pale Ale-c*rolina Brewing Company

A fridge leftover dated 6/30/16. Believe me, I had my doubts but it ended up a decent offering. Pour was an orange-yellow with a one finger head. Nose of earth and caramel followed by fairly smooth, herbal, malty tastes. Their website labels it an American pale ale but it's more British to me with its aforementioned characteristics. Made a nice pairing with some mushroom chicken, mashed potatoes and a fancy, mixed green salad. No IBUs listed so I'll guess 30 and the ABV is 5.1%, about as expected.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 26th, 2017, 10:13 pm

From 10/11/15:
devildeac wrote:Torch-Foothills Brewing

Wedding reception selection. Poured a light straw color with a modest, creamy white head. Floral scents and the mild European hops provide a light bitterness to balance a toasted, breadiness from the grain bill that was a whiter shade of pale. A tad more bitter than I anticipated from a typical German style pilsner at 35 IBUs with the ABV at 5.3%. Nicely paired with with cocktail hour snacks of fried mac and cheese, pimento cheese in tiny Mason jars with little celery stick "utensils" and bacon-wrapped figs and goat cheese.

Hoppyum was my other choice and when I saw they were pouring Woodford Reserve, my beer drinking/reviewing ceased.

From tonight:

Torch-Foothills Brewing

Worth re-tasting and re-posting.

A solid pilsner they made in the European/Bohemian (non-Rhapsody) tradition. This 12 ounce bottle was included in my January beer club 4 pack. Yea, a bit out of season but a pleasant prelude to my nightcap that's on deck...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 27th, 2017, 4:46 pm

From 8/13/16
devildeac wrote:This week in beer:

Farking Wheaton w00tstout (draft)-Stone Brewing

The story-sort of:

http://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/sto...#ageGatePassed

The beer:

Style: flavored, bourbon barrel-aged Russian imperial stout
Appearance: almost pitch black
Pour: 10W30
Aroma: dark chocolate, dark caramel, espresso
Mouthfeel: 10W30-this stuff is viscous
Tastes: mirrored aromas with some licorice, black strap molasses and a bit of whiskey
IBU: 65
ABV: 13% (no typo)
Cost: $6 for a full pint-most places won't pour a full pint of this heavyweight

Idle chatter: After reading the description, I thought I might find nuances of orange flavors (from the wheat), a bit of nuttiness (D'oh!) from the pecans, some mustiness from the rye and a lot more bourbon. No disappointments, just the flavors didn't really match the labeling/my expectations, but I still found this to be an excellent sipper, especially the more it warmed during the 30-45 minutes I eventually decided not to buy any products from Crafty Beer Shop.

There are a couple $10 bombers waiting to be delivered by ricks68 on one of his football journeys and I've got one I purchased that is cellaring now so it'll be interesting to taste the bottle versions after several (many?) months of aging.

Tip of the snifter to ricks68 for notifying me of this beer's release last month and buying the couple mentioned above.
From Wednesday and Thursday nights:

Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout (bomber dated 7/2/16)-Stone Brewing

Chilled briefly from our 60 degree garage temperature and poured into a Founder's tulip and allowed to reach near room temperature over 30-45 minutes each night. Different from the draft but only subtly so with a little nutty flavor, no musty rye presence and pleasant warming, boozy and whiskey notes to accompany the strong semi-sweet chocolate, dark caramel and espresso flavors. I think this was my bottle from last summer and ricks68 delivered 2 more this week so I'll age one for another 6-12 months and make the other available to fuse this weekend or next.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 31st, 2017, 10:15 am

From 5/28/15 and 6/28/15:
devildeac wrote:From 5/28/15 (brewed 1/15):

Hopslam-Bell's Brewery

This is a fabulous, hard to find beer and I'm honored/humbled that fuse would relinquish two of his 4 pack (or 6er) that he bought a couple months ago. I've long forgotten about those Sam Adams stale ones.

Poured a golden-yellow with a mildly foamy head. Fresh squeezed grapefruit juice with a bit of zest stimulate the olfactory lobe and the gustatory sensation is at first the same, followed by other tropical fruits including papaya and mango with a moderate honey finish. This isn't a hop monster at 70 IBUs, though I'd have guessed it a bit higher. The malty balance is superb with the ABV at a dangerous 10%. This is so smooth and sippable by itself, I don't think I'd pair this with any foods. I know I've had this before but couldn't find any prior reviews. I'm certain I could easily consume two of these in an evening and curl up on the floor with a couple cushions, pillows and blankets and never even dare/consider climbing the stairs for my night's sleep. I'd be in complete beer-vana if given the opportunity to taste test this with Heady Topper, my other new favorite IIPA. Sorry, 90 Minute, you're still delicious but...

From last PM (worthy of re-posting for a comparison to the prior two):

Not much changed over another month of "aging" but I didn't expect tastes/flavors to be altered much, if any. I added this so I could see if it really was much different than a couple other highly respected IIPAs and it was the winner of my tasting, though not by much as Hoptimum is an excellent choice. I think the slightly lower IBUs, the amazing balance and the honey finish pushes this into the elite level of DIPAs. Bows humbly again to fuse for saving/sharing a couple bottles about a month ago so I could perform this tasting.
From last PM 1/30/17:

Hopslam (draft)-Bell's Brewery

Not as popular as before as it took Bottle Revolution 2 hours to sell out of 10 cases by lottery, allowing each beer club member a ticket to purchase a 6er. There were 7 people in line at 10 AM when they opened on Saturday and I skipped the lottery because I knew fuse had a few cans reserved for me from his purchase and I skipped the sampling as I was on call for the weekend so no alcohol. I still was fortunate enough to check their tap list, saw Hopslam was still listed and wandered down 1.5 blocks from my office for a $7 pint after work yesterday.

Tropical and citrus aromas and tastes abound. So smooth from the addition of honey to the concoction, mitigating the 70 IBUs very nicely. So dangerous at 10% ABV. I could easily sip a couple pints of this regularly. Worth the hype? Not really anymore as there are so many delicious IIPAs on the market now. Worth the praise? Absolutely. A bit overpriced at $7 for the pint but pretty standard for the style/reputation/ABV content. I'll be delighted to get my allotment from fuse soon for 3 bucks for each 12 ounce bottle. The "artificial scarcity" (his words) is no longer present.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 31st, 2017, 7:25 pm

devildeac wrote:From 11/7/12:

Monster Ale (2011 bottling)-Brooklyn Brewing

This is a barleywine that is quite smooth and syrup-y when first released and continues to improve with age. Copper colored with a small tan head, the slightly piney three American hops are almost overwhelmed by the massive amount of English specialty malts with a surprise guest, wheat malt. Notes of sherry and syrup are present so this would make a fine dessert beer served slightly warmed in a snifter. I'd guess the IBU about 60-70 and the ABV is 10.3% so this is a sip at bedtime brew. Definitely worth the purchase of an $8 four pack so you can sip one now, trade one and stash a couple others away for a year or three.

From 3/28/16:

No head. Poured cleanly and carefully into a pint glass. Lots of sherry and syrup scents and tastes of the same, perhaps with a bit of orange liqueur and dark, dried fruits. Despite the typical/expected bitterness of a barleywine, this was quite smooth, yet moderately boozy and warming. Two bottles of this left in the "cellar." Supply of aged beers continues to dwindle. More next year .
It's next year. From last PM:

Monster Ale 2011-Brooklyn Brewing

10% ABV beer for a 10 point on the road win over a top 25 team. Works for me!

I don't think much has changed here. Surprisingly clear pour and a sweet smell and smooth tastes. Makes me re-think my recent barleywine boycott. Nah. Last one of these will be a 2018 review.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 31st, 2017, 9:51 pm

Azacca-Founders Brewing

My third beer from my January beer club 4 pack. This copper-colored IPA with a 2-fingered head just screamed tropical and citrus fruits from the 12 ounce can to my pint glass to my nose. Grapefruit, pineapple, mango and papaya delights on my taste buds with a butterscotch finish. 70 IBUs so pretty hefty there but the balance is outstanding with the ABV at 7%. This would find peace with some moderately spiced Asian fare. An IPA I'd definitely re-visit.