Exercise!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Exercise!

Post by bluebutton » June 4th, 2011, 3:40 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:I also managed to squeeze in 2 miles of walking videos during the afternoon, interrupted sporadically by coworkers and eye candy, uh, deputies.
Given that I run in my neighborhood, I'm really surprised by how few people I passed this morning (Week 2 Day 2!!) No eye candy here and I was just off today and slower than Wednesday.

That said, when I got home, I ran into some neighbors I haven't seen in a bit what with being cooped up at home with the baby and their work schedules. Still not eye candy, but nice to chat with them and they were sweet enough to have a little baby gift for baby DW.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 6th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Day 3, Week 1 of Couch to 5K! Technically, if I was still on schedule, I'd be doing Day 1, Week 2 today. However, I spent the weekend in Arkansas at my sweet baby niece's christening. :x
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 6th, 2011, 7:17 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Day 3, Week 1 of Couch to 5K! Technically, if I was still on schedule, I'd be doing Day 1, Week 2 today. However, I spent the weekend in Arkansas at my sweet baby niece's christening. :x
Yay for the baby niece!

We are supposed to go to the gym in a bit for Day 1, Week 3. It took me 3 weeks to get through 2 weeks of Couch to 5K.

I talked to one of our public defenders today. He and his wife (also a lawyer) are starting Couch to 5K tonight. We may try to do a 5K together. He was a runner/triathlete in college and law school, but she doesn't strike me as the type. Of course they're both like 20 years my junior, so I'm sure they'll leave me in the dust....
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 6th, 2011, 9:30 pm

Nattily attired in my new Duke Track and Field gym shorts, I managed to survive Day 1 Week 3. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 8th, 2011, 9:42 pm

I reverted to Day 1, Week 1 but went from Arc Trainer to treadmill with some incline. Have to see how cooperative the knees are with the treadmill, but so far, so good. I would rather do the treadmill if the knees will behave.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 8th, 2011, 10:33 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:I reverted to Day 1, Week 1 but went from Arc Trainer to treadmill with some incline. Have to see how cooperative the knees are with the treadmill, but so far, so good. I would rather do the treadmill if the knees will behave.
Hope the treadmill is easier on your knees!

Day 1, Week 2 for me today! I'm sticking with the treadmill for now; it seems to be easier on my knees than running on the sidewalk. Besides, it's been over 90 degrees the past several days. (Wait a minute - knee problems. Treadmill. We're the same person!)

My treadmill will incline up to 10 degrees, but I tend to leave it set at 3. I run at 4 mph and walk at 3. I'll bump up the speed when my endurance is better.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 8th, 2011, 10:48 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:I reverted to Day 1, Week 1 but went from Arc Trainer to treadmill with some incline. Have to see how cooperative the knees are with the treadmill, but so far, so good. I would rather do the treadmill if the knees will behave.
Hope the treadmill is easier on your knees!

Day 1, Week 2 for me today! I'm sticking with the treadmill for now; it seems to be easier on my knees than running on the sidewalk. Besides, it's been over 90 degrees the past several days. (Wait a minute - knee problems. Treadmill. We're the same person!)

My treadmill will incline up to 10 degrees, but I tend to leave it set at 3. I run at 4 mph and walk at 3. I'll bump up the speed when my endurance is better.
You know, we are STILL never online at the same time. Coincidence? I think not! :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 11th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Just completed W2D2 of Couch to 5K - this after spending several hours walking in the MoBot. (where's that huffing and puffing smilie...)
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 11th, 2011, 11:01 pm

Last night I did Week 2 Day 1 of Couch to 5K on the treadmill. On Monday I will do Week 3 Day 1 on the treadmill, and then go from there.

Today I partied all day.
Iron Duke #1471997.
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » June 12th, 2011, 5:24 am

This was my first week on my own with 2 kids and no mom around to help, BUT my husband was able to look after the kiddos so I could run. So I'm now at Wk 3 Day 2. Mon will hopefully be Wk 3 Day 3.

I wish I had a treadmill so I could run at home while the kids are napping and in the AC. But for now, it's out of the house for me pounding the pavement. I was really slow today, but glad to be out of the house for a little bit. Are y'all running at a gym or at home?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 12th, 2011, 6:31 am

bluebutton wrote:This was my first week on my own with 2 kids and no mom around to help, BUT my husband was able to look after the kiddos so I could run. So I'm now at Wk 3 Day 2. Mon will hopefully be Wk 3 Day 3.

I wish I had a treadmill so I could run at home while the kids are napping and in the AC. But for now, it's out of the house for me pounding the pavement. I was really slow today, but glad to be out of the house for a little bit. Are y'all running at a gym or at home?
Keep up the good work, bluebutton!

I'm running at home. I bought a treadmill last winter. Definitely easier on my knees and hips than running on sidewalks. Need to try the gravel running trails in Forest Park sometime when it's not too hot.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 12th, 2011, 8:47 am

bluebutton wrote:This was my first week on my own with 2 kids and no mom around to help, BUT my husband was able to look after the kiddos so I could run. So I'm now at Wk 3 Day 2. Mon will hopefully be Wk 3 Day 3.

^:)^ ^:)^ Way to go, Bluebutton!

I'm running on a treadmill at the gym. I started off on the ArcTrainer because I didn't know if my knees and hips would hold up on the treadmill, but since I want to run a 5K at some point, I figured i'd better give the treadmill a try, so I did Week 1, Day 1 and Week 2, Day 1 over, and so far my knees and hips are doing ok. Tomorrow I will do Week 3, Day 1 over, and then on Wednesday I'll do Week 3 Day 2 for the first time, and go from there. :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » June 12th, 2011, 11:48 am

I just have to say, I'm so impressed, BB!! I'm not even allowed to do anything more strenuous than, to quote my doctor, "promenade" with the stroller around the neighborhood, for another 2 weeks; it's frustrating, but I in no way want to jump from that into training for a 5k.

Hope you and the little one (boy? girl?) are doing well!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 13th, 2011, 9:21 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:

I just have to say, I'm so impressed, BB!! I'm not even allowed to do anything more strenuous than, to quote my doctor, "promenade" with the stroller around the neighborhood, for another 2 weeks; it's frustrating, but I in no way want to jump from that into training for a 5k.

Hope you and the little one (boy? girl?) are doing well!
DA, if you're interested in running you should check out Couch to 5K. The program alternates running and walking for short intervals of time, gradually increasing the amount of time spent running. I just finished Week 2, which is 1.5 min running, 2 min walking. There's also a 5 min warmup and 5 min cool-down (both walking).
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 13th, 2011, 9:22 pm

Just finished W2D3 of Couch to 5K. Today was rough, probably because I ate first. I won't do that again.
-- Albert Einstein
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » June 13th, 2011, 10:44 pm

Man, I should have read this encouragement earlier. I bailed on running tonight. Rough night last night with my son (2 months old) and rough day today with my daughter (2 years old). Body aches without even running--hah.

We moved my daughter to a big girl bed this weekend without getting her proper bedding first so I ran off to the store with them today to get her a big bed blanket. That probably pushed everything over the edge--I hate shopping and wearing a baby while pushing around a tired 2 year old doesn't make me love it any more. Back to running on Wed then.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 14th, 2011, 9:39 pm

The best laid plans of lawgrad go often astray.

I didn't make it to the gym tonight. We spent the exercise portion of the evening visiting a lady from church who lost her brother unexpectedly yesterday.

Tomorrow doesn't look good, either. Church meeting at 7, provided I get out of court in time to make it. Harumph. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 14th, 2011, 11:07 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:The best laid plans of lawgrad go often astray.

I didn't make it to the gym tonight. We spent the exercise portion of the evening visiting a lady from church who lost her brother unexpectedly yesterday.

Tomorrow doesn't look good, either. Church meeting at 7, provided I get out of court in time to make it. Harumph. :9f:
Some things are more important than exercise. Vibes to the lady who lost her brother. :wizard:

No additional exercise for me today, either. I came home from work this evening with a sinus headache and spent much of the evening sleeping. Better luck tomorrow.
-- Albert Einstein
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » June 15th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Got a better night sleep last night than recently. Determined to run tonight. Will post back. Seems like life has been conspiring against us. Visiting the bereaved is a pretty valid reason though.

We can prevail :D :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :D
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » June 15th, 2011, 4:41 pm

I woke up this past Saturday, sat up in bed for a few minutes, slipped on some shorts, shoes, and a T-Shirt and hat, and walked out the door and ran/walked 10.2 miles (from Marietta to Roswell for those familiar with Atlanta). Just couldn't figure out what I wanted to do that day and didn't give it a second thought. And I have been SORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE ever since! My LORDY!

But it WAS pretty cool. Kind of my "Forrest Gump" moment.

True story.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.