Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by Bob Green » October 26th, 2016, 7:16 pm

I'm still in Bremerton and will be watching Game 2 of the World Series tonight while enjoying a couple local brews:

Manny's Pale Ale
Mac and Jacks

There are more local brands available on tap at the pub by my hotel so I'll post some details later. I'm off to the pub.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Bob Green wrote:I'm still in Bremerton and will be watching Game 2 of the World Series tonight while enjoying a couple local brews:

Manny's Pale Ale
Mac and Jacks

There are more local brands available on tap at the pub by my hotel so I'll post some details later. I'm off to the pub.
Never heard of Manny's Pale Ale.

I had a pint of Mac and Jacks, IIRC, when we were in Seattle the night before we shipped out on a cruise for our 30th anniversary a bit over 8 years ago. Good beer.

Can't wait to read your beer list.

Our beer lovers on DBR would like to hear from you, too. Beats posting in the Presidential Race thread. =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2016, 10:56 pm

Gumballhead-3 Floyds

Not your traditional weizenbier auf Deutschland but an American style wheat beer with their red wheat and proprietary hops blend (from the bottle) but boatloads of Amarillo hops claimed from their website . Poured a chill-hazed golden yellow with a modest, fluffy head. Nose of citrus and tastes of flowers and lemons, not banana, clove and orange like a lot of wheat ales. A bit hoppy for a wheat beer at 35 IBUs, which turned our younger daughter off just a bit, and the ABV perhaps a shade high at 5.6% for the style. I thought this very refreshing and distinctive and would find it very pleasant with a grilled chicken sammich on a Kaiser roll with a slice of mild cheddar, a slice of fresh tomato, a few shreds of lettuce and a side of pasta salad or a fruit cup.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2016, 11:08 pm

Robert the Bruce-3 Floyds

Their very good version of a Scottish-style ale. Pour was a dark brown, about middling between a brown ale and a porter, and topped with a creamy, light tan head. Earthy, herbal aromas and dark caramel, milk chocolate and toffee tastes with very mild hop presence. Mild on the bitterness scale with only 24 IBUs with a fairly standard ABV of 6.5%. So many entrees would pair well with this including tenderloins of pork or beef off the grill and traditional English/Scottish fare.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » October 27th, 2016, 7:39 am

My favorite beer last night was Ridgetop Red Ale:

http://www.silvercity.beer/year-rounds/
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » October 27th, 2016, 7:51 am

For the Mac and Jacks, that is a brewery with multiple beers. The specific one I was drinking was the African Amber.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 28th, 2016, 8:32 pm

From 8/8/14:

Two Women-New Glarus Brewing

A Wisconsin lager, and a solid one with some body and flavor, too. Named after the two ladies who run the malting company who provides grain for the brews and New Glarus itself, this slightly sweet and mildly hoppy brew is a nice session brew. I shared one of these with my daughter last PM, along with the next brew and we were surprised and pleased. I received this as a "special delivery from Wisconsin" from one of my patients who lives in Wisconsin now and it was just plenty warm enough here last PM to uncap a lighter beer. Pours a light amber with a modest head and aroma of floral hops and light caramel malts with tastes to match. I could not find IBU or ABV but would estimate 20 and 5% respectively so this beverage is fine for tasting/sharing in an afternoon or eveing or serving with almost any mild dishes. And what better way to conclude a review than to say "I tasted Two Women" last evening .

From tonight:

Procured during our Midwest Beer Odyssey (credit to tbyers11 for that name ), I'm thinking this was pretty much the same as over 2 years ago only I kept this one all to myself as our daughter has gone back home for the weekend. Pretty bready and toasty and enjoyed immensely sitting in a lawn chair and watching the grass grow after a couple hours of yard work on a warm, sunny gorgeous fall afternoon in central NC. It's always nice to savor Two Women.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2016, 10:07 pm

Fig and Raisin (draft)-Mother Earth Brewing

Drink (fairly) local!

I'm guessing this is a re-issue of their 2013 (?) 3rd member of their Windowpane Series. The base ale is a Belgian-style dubbel with the addition of NC-foraged figs and raisins. I chose this over the coffee-infused Southern Tier Pumpking and Epic's Big Bad Baptist and quite happy I did. Crafty Beer Shop was serving their brews last PM in orange plastic Halloween cups as there was a fall festival at Lafayette Village in north Raleigh so most beverages were consumed on the lawn. Pour was a medium brown with a small head. Nose was earthy with dark, dried fruits (no surprise there). Tastes were the expected Belgian dubbel with toffee, dark caramel, raisins and figs (D'oh!), with a warming, boozey, brandy finish from the 3 months this concoction spent in old brandy barrels. The local crepery (?) allowed me to bring my half-finished pint inside to accompany my Philly steak and cheese crepe with sauteed, carmelized onions, 'shrooms and provolone cheese with home-fried potatoes. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV was 9% on their electronic chalkboard but 10% on their corked and caged 750 ml bottle. Pleased to have spent $6 for the pint but wouldn't spend the $19 for the large format bottle.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2016, 10:39 pm

Really Old Brown Dog Ale-Smuttynose Brewing

Make mine a Smutty!

I thought I had tasted this before but in searching the archives, I am mistaken.

Pour was a dark amber with earthy, toffee-ish aromas. Tastes were dark caramel, mixed nuts, herbal and alcohol. This is an imperial brown ale, or old ale or stock ale as they call it. I split a 12 ounce bottle with daughter #2 tonight and it'd make a nice pairing with bovine or porcine grillings or some caramel/chocolate desserts. Ingredients were:

Grains: North American 2-Row, Crisp Pale Ale, C-15, Aromatic, Carared, Carafa II DH

Hops: Sterling

Other: Port-soaked oak chips (I'd have never guessed this .)

IBUs are 34 and ABV a bottle-conditioned 11.1%, meaning I'll have to save a bottle or two for next year from my ~$10 four pack last month (with coupon!) from Total Wine. I'll probably compare one of these this winter with a bottle of North Coast's 2015 Old Stock Ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 1st, 2016, 10:27 pm

Clawhammer-Highlands Brewing

Disclaimer-I don't drink many Oktoberfest biers. Hell, I'm not even sure I spelled Octoberfest or beer correctly .

This is a good entry in another crowded house of beers. The 12 ounce bottle was part of my October (D'oh!) Beer Club 4 pack. Pour was a copper-amber with a modest, creamy head. Nose of earthy hops and caramel and tastes of toasted wheat bread, light brown sugar and fall flowers. I'll guess IBUs of 20 and the ABV was on the label at 5%. I shared the bottle with our younger daughter. Very palate-pleasing and sessionable and would make a fine pairing with grilled fare (brats!) and some warm German potato salad.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 1st, 2016, 10:37 pm

Munsterfest-3 Floyds Brewing

"Es ist nicht normal.”

I dunno, seemed fairly typical for the style. Poured from a bomber and shared with our younger daughter, the hue was copper-amber, the head tan and creamy, the nose honey and earthy and the tastes were toast, light brown sugar and a bit herbal. Interesting observations as I'd describe it as a bit less sweet than fuse did above but our daughter liked the Clawhammer better as she thought it was smoother. I liked Munsterfest a tad better as I thought it had a bit more body/fullness than the Clawhammer but I really appreciated both brews. IBUs here listed at 30 and the ABV is 6%. I'd serve with the same fare as any Oktoberfest. Some whole wheat crackers and Gouda cheese would be tasty, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 3rd, 2016, 10:07 am

From 5/19/13:

Totally Naked (the beer, not the poster)-New Glarus Brewing

Poured a pale straw color with a small head and a light floral bouquet nose and minimal bitterness. A true pilsner/lager made with European hops, this is indeed a light beer but not devoid of flavor. Very light caramel notes on the palate makes this a nice beverage to pair with lighter chicken or seafood entrees. I'd guess the IBU to be 10-20 and the ABV about 4.5%.

From last PM, procured during our recent Midwest Beer Odyssey (credit again to tbyers11 for the name ):

Leadoff hitter gets on base easily.

I don't think the formula has changed in 3+ years and still an excellent lager/pilsner in the true Euro (stretch 4) tradition.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 3rd, 2016, 10:16 am

From 3/9/12:

Spotted Cow-New Glarus Brewing

This farmhouse ale made a nice follow-up to our sharing/enjoyment of Totally Naked. It is a straw-colored and slightly hazy pour with fizz instead of foam and scents of flowers and tastes of crisp, slightly underripe apples and pears. No IBU or ABV stats to be found but there is little hop presence here so I'd guess 10-20 with an ABV of 5-6%. This would make a fine ale to sip on a warm/hot spring or summer day or with some fresh berries or any light fish or chicken dishes.

From last PM (can):

This was also beer-muled back from our September beercation.

I don't think this has changed in 4+ years. Why alter your flagship product? I know it's labeled as a farmhouse ale but there are still elements/suggestions of a cream ale here, too (and no, fuse, I couldn't taste any "cream" in the beverage ). Perhaps there was a hint of mild white pepper in the palate. Such a smooth brewing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 3rd, 2016, 10:05 pm

Zwickel-New Glarus Brewing

Not to be confused with Zwickel-Urban Chestnut Brewing that fuse was nice enough to share/trade with me a couple years ago.

From the NG website:

"It is the custom of village breweries in Bavaria to invite special friends to the Brewmaster’s cellars to share bier at its freshest, “Zwickel Bier” direct from lager tanks. Our Brewmaster has revived this tradition with his special offering. Straight from the tanks, unfiltered, this bier has undergone its third and final fermentation in the bottle in order to insure you the freshest possible lager bier.

Expect this bier to be smooth, full-bodied, and slightly cloudy. The brewer’s yeast imparts a mild, fresh character which is as close as you can get to brewery fresh. Unless, of course, you do come by and visit our little village Brewery here in New Glarus."

From my lips/fingers:

Pour was a light, golden yellow with a moderate, creamy head. Enticing aromas of fresh garden flowers, baked bread and a little honey. Tantalizing tastes of delicate, floral European hops with a bit of light brown sugar and cereal. Almost imperceptible bitterness, guessing 10 IBUs and I'll estimate ABV around 5%. New Glarus really knows how to brew traditional German-style pilsners/lagers and fruit beers as fuse has raved about already from his share of my midwest haul. I'll find out shortly if they can brew a high gravity/high IBU ale that fuse has reviewed already so I'm anticipating another winner and the opportunity to Scream about it a bit later this evening...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 3rd, 2016, 11:10 pm

Cold Press Pumking (draft)-Southern Tier Brewing

Granted, it was only a 2 ounce taster before my half pint (more on that tomorrow) but color me impressed.

A slice of Mrs. dd's homemade pumpkin pie and a large glass of iced, medium roast Columbian java. There are other desserts I prefer and I like my cup(s) of coffee hot and black but I'd have a pint of this if I saw it again or they packaged it in bombers or 12 ounce bottles. I'll guess IBUs of 30 and the ABV is a hefty 8.6%, just like the regular Pumking but this is a very good combination. Hmm, wonder what some bourbon/rum barrel aging would do to/for this. And some chocolate. No whipped cream.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 4th, 2016, 5:39 pm

Speedway Stout (draft)-Alesmith Brewing Company

Almost pitch black, thick/viscous. Coffee and dark chocolate scents. Espresso, toasted pumpernickel, semi-sweet chocolate, dark caramel, dried dark fruits, moderate alcohol burn, oily and chewy flavors and sensations that intensified as my $5 half pint warmed over 20-30 minutes. IBUs 70 and ABV 12%. Forget dessert. Well, maybe a small triple chocolate brownie square would be good with this . I'm glad ricks68 didn't want the second 750 ml corked and caged bottle I bought today in his holiday gift pack .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 4th, 2016, 5:55 pm

Scream-New Glarus Brewing

Another winner from New Glarus. My next trip to Wisconsin may yield two 4 packs of everything from their Thumbprint Series if the remainder match the reviews here of this, Zwickel and Apple Ale.

Pour was an orange-bronze with a generous, foamy head. I'll see fuse's pineapple and raise him 2 mangoes, 1 papaya and a slice of guava both on the nose and on the tongue. Sweet, bitter and oily like a fresh IIPA should be. IBUs listed at 85 and ABV at 8.5%, a very well-balanced brew on paper and out of a pint glass. This would be very pleasant with spicy fare but was quite enjoyable by itself a couple nights ago.
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » November 5th, 2016, 8:08 pm

Hey DD, it was Burial Billows. See ya Thursday. AW. :D

PS. GTHC.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 5th, 2016, 10:35 pm

August West wrote:Hey DD, it was Burial Billows. See ya Thursday. AW. :D

PS. GTHC.
Ha! Just looked it up on their Instagram for my review. Here ya go:

Billows (growler)-Burial Beer

Shout out to richardjackson199 for this contribution. Thanks!

Very pleasant lead-off hitter on a clear, somewhat warm, Indian summer afternoon at tailgate today. A kölsch-style ale from Stella Brew shop in Winston-Salem and well done, too. Pour was a straw-yellow with a moderate fizzy head that lingered a bit. Delicate floral nose with bit extra hop bite than I would have expected given the style. But, then again, it's a Burial beer. Tastes were apple, pear, flower petals with a bit of caramel. I'll guess IBUs of 30 here and the ABV was 4.9%. I had a plate of TrueBlue'CueCrew pulled pork topped with a generous scoop of their slaw, Mrs. dd's almost famous corn and black bean salad, a large hunk of mac and cheese and some assorted marinated and grilled veggies.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 5th, 2016, 11:07 pm

Next up:

Plead the 5th (growler)-Dark Horse Brewing Company

A 10 month old growler? Still fresh and tasty? You bet!

Many thanks to August West for bringing from his beer collection!

Pour of this imperial stout was almost pitch black with a small, mocha head. Coffee, dark chocolate scents and dark fruit, dark caramel and chocolate and some more coffee on the taste buds but I'm not sure any coffee was added. Moderately thick and chewy but no licorice. IBUs 41 and ABV 11% (both stats from their web site). Very good fall warmer that made a nice pairing with the above posted platter.