Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » July 13th, 2016, 11:01 pm

Summer Love-Victory Brewing Company

German pilsner meets session IPA. The last of my 4 pack summer sampler was this ale, allegedly commissioned by Visit Philadelphia (summer time, City of Brotherly Love...), they threw in some 2 row German malts and hops (Tettnang) and a few American varieties (Citra and Simcoe), for floral, earthy and subtle grapefruity aromas to blend with pineapple-y, mango-y and lemony flavors and a bit of light caramel sweetness in a light golden ale. I'll guess IBUs around 40 and the ABV is 5.2%. Nothing was outstandingly delicious with the litter (not meant to be a derogatory comment), but the good quality selections and opportunity to sample a different brewer and several styles was a very pleasant start to my 2016-17 Bottle Revolution beer club.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 18th, 2016, 8:38 am

Tripping William deserves some credit, too, as he has a review of this some time in March but I can't locate it. Sorry, big guy.

Toaster Pastry-21st Amendment Brewing

Their first brew in their new/upgraded facility, which used to be a toaster pastry bakery (but no truth the rumor-mongering that said old bakery used to produce bakery banners, too )

I refused to pull the trigger on this at $6 for the 16 ounce can so I found the $11 litter of six 12 ounce cans at Total Wine a couple weeks ago and it's more agreeable to me .

Fuse has it pretty much nailed down but I tasted some citrus notes in the filling, err, red-amber elixir I poured myself (none for Bill Self) last PM. It's pretty much an imperial red ale at 74 IBUs and 7.6% ABV. I'd put it in the same category as Oskar Blues' G'Knight, their double red IPA at "only" 60 IBUs and a very hefty 8.7% ABV. It'd be nice to do a side-by-side of the two as I have 5 cans left. I won't drink them all but will share/trade with family and friends, after all, it's good until 10-8-16, putting it right in the middle of tailgate, err Duke football season.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 18th, 2016, 10:53 pm

Back Burner-Southern Tier Brewing Company

Just when I thought I had forsaken barleywine style ales, ricks68 finds this gem and includes it in a recent assortment I picked up from him in May. Last brewed in 2012 (my bomber had DOB 2/15/12 stamped across it under the painted label), it has been recreated this year, now in 4 packs to accompany bombers and kegs. Poured a slightly murky ruby-brown color with a small head. Luscious herbal nose with nuances of maple syrup and caramelized brown sugar and tastes that mirrored the scents along with a ton of dark, dried fruits (figs, dates, raisins and cherries) with an oaky/woody and toasted coconut finish. No IBUs listed but I'd guess 70 based on the style but extremely smooth mouthfeel from the added maple syrup and blackstrap molasses. The ABV is very deceptive and dangerous at 9.6% (I divided the bomber over 3 nights) and, according to the website, this year it is 10.5%. It was released in January and I may take a stroll through Total Wine this weekend to see if any is available.

A hearty thanks to ricks68 for this discovery, made even better by the $7.50 sticker on the bottle.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 19th, 2016, 10:36 pm

Coolcumber-Wicked Weed Brewing

Missed the first delivery of this last week so I go the new owner of Bottle Revolution to hold a 4 pack for me (as a new beer club member) after I missed the second delivery on Friday afternoon, too. I feel like such a beer stalker . Fuse gets two of these when we are able to rendezvous, perhaps this weekend.

Pour from a full 12 ounce bottle (somehow, they manage to package Pernicious in an 11.2 ounce bottles-WTH?) was a light yellow-straw color with a small, fizzy head that faded fairly quickly. Smells like your summer vegetable and herb garden from the cucumber juice and basil. I've never tasted juniper berries (though I think DFH incorporates them into their Immort Ale), but WW claims they're in the brew, also. Fooled me. Perhaps they add a bit of herbal and fruity tastes/smell . It's a golden ale but not in the Belgian style as the ABV is only 5.5% and I'll guess the IBUs are 10-20 so minimal bitterness. No sour, no funk, no barrel-aging, just a light, refreshing summer ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 24th, 2016, 10:53 pm

little brett-Allagash Brewing

Fuse regularly finds these gems before I do .

My "pineapple" was a little less ripe than his and I tasted a hint of lemon but otherwise, his taste buds nailed it. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV is 4.8% This is a 100% Mosaic (dry) hop ale. I did find a 4 pack on Monday and fuse gets 2 of the remaining 3 bottles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 30th, 2016, 11:04 pm

Ovila Abbey Saison-Sierra Nevada and the Abbey of New Clairvaux

Background:

"Our Ovila® Abbey Ales series is a collaboration with the monks of the Abbey of New Clairvaux in Vina, CA. Each beer is a modern twist on a traditional Belgian-style abbey ale—monastic inspiration and American innovation. These rotating Ovila Abbey Ales highlight, when possible, local ingredients grown and harvested by the monks on their nearly 600-acre working farm. We hope you enjoy these one-of-a-kind collaboration ales."

The brew:

Poured from a 750 ml corked and caged bottle and sipped over the last 90 minutes tonight (no one to share with ), it appeared a mildly cloudy apple juice hue with a mild foamy and lacy head. Smells like an herb garden. Tastes like an herb garden, wet straw and a pinch of black pepper. Sounds like a Simon and Garfunkel song . Reminds me of Saison du Buff, the DFH/Victory/Stone collabeeration from a few years ago. I'll guess IBUs of 20 with an ABV of 7.5%. Bought as part of a pre-packaged trio for about $24 with an Abbey Dubbel and an Abbey Quad that will both survive until another night/week. If you like herbal-themed or flavored ales, you'd enjoy this as I did but would have been happy to share as there's a lot of sage here. Would pair nicely with roasted chicken, a rack of lamb or a Thanksgiving bird and stuffing/dressing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 3rd, 2016, 11:21 am

Ovila Abbey Brown Ale-Sierra Nevada and Abbey of New Clairvaux

The second 750 ml caged and corked bottle of the boxed trio bought for about $25 at Total Wine a few weeks ago. I divided the bottle over 2 nights with the 2nd night being a bit less carbonated without being flat, but just as enjoyable. Pour was a dark, nearly opaque mahogany with a foamy and lacy head. Aromas of cocoa and dark, dried fruits and maybe a hint of citrus rind/juice. Tastes were comparable to Raisinets. Really. And that's meant as a compliment. Really. I like chocolate-covered raisins . I perceived very little orange tastes excepts hints at the very end of my aliquots as each serving warmed a bit. A bit disappointing as it's brewed with mandarin oranges and cocoa nibs and I was kinda/sorta expecting chocolate-covered orange flavors. But, again, a minor disappointment. I'm somewhat partial to this style and overall found it very enjoyable and quite suitable for a dessert beverage/nightcap and would certainly purchase again. I'll guess IBUs of 30ish and the ABV is 7.5%, IIRC, as the bottle is now gone to recycling as of about an hour ago.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 9th, 2016, 10:59 pm

Rusty Plow (draft)-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Two ounce sample before the clean-up hitter came to the plate. I think fuse reviewed this somewhere up-thread but I'm too tired/lazy to search.

Pour was a foamy, lacy straw-colored brew. Nose of hay, apples, pears and melons. Tastes the same with a bit of funk and black pepper. Would readily procure a pint of this ale.

Haw River makes really good (and rather spendy) ales.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 10th, 2016, 1:18 pm

Pisgah Pale Ale - Pisgah Brewing Co., Black Mountain, N.C. (home of Brad Daugherty)

I had a glass of Pisgah Pale Ale on draft at Isa's Bistro at the Haywood Park Hotel in Asheville on Saturday afternoon. This is an organic beer (isn't everything in Asheville organic?) and it was quite smooth.

The color was amber with a lacy foam that settled down pretty quickly. I tasted some citrus and perhaps some cantaloupe.

There was no bitter aftertaste. This beer didn't seem overly hoppy to me.

It was a nice beer to enjoy with candied nuts and popcorn while enjoying USA Basketball on the big screen in the bar with my girlfriends.

From their website, this beer has a 31 IBU and is 5.5% ABV.

There! I reviewed a draft beer on the Ymm, Beer! thread.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 10th, 2016, 2:00 pm

CathyCA wrote:Pisgah Pale Ale - Pisgah Brewing Co., Black Mountain, N.C. (home of Brad Daugherty)

I had a glass of Pisgah Pale Ale on draft at Isa's Bistro at the Haywood Park Hotel in Asheville on Saturday afternoon. This is an organic beer (isn't everything in Asheville organic?) and it was quite smooth.

The color was amber with a lacy foam that settled down pretty quickly. I tasted some citrus and perhaps some cantaloupe.

There was no bitter aftertaste. This beer didn't seem overly hoppy to me.

It was a nice beer to enjoy with candied nuts and popcorn while enjoying USA Basketball on the big screen in the bar with my girlfriends.

From their website, this beer has a 31 IBU and is 5.5% ABV.

There! I reviewed a draft beer on the Ymm, Beer! thread.

:9f:
That's awesome. Drink more beer. Post more reviews.

Pisgah is a very good brewery. Try their Tripel (a high ABV, low IBU Belgian golden ale) or their Red Devil (same beer brewed with raspberries).

:clap: :dance:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 13th, 2016, 9:21 am

This week in beer:

Farking Wheaton w00tstout (draft)-Stone Brewing

The story-sort of:

http://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/sto...#ageGatePassed

The beer:

Style: flavored, bourbon barrel-aged Russian imperial stout
Appearance: almost pitch black
Pour: 10W30
Aroma: dark chocolate, dark caramel, espresso
Mouthfeel: 10W30-this stuff is viscous
Tastes: mirrored aromas with some licorice, black strap molasses and a bit of whiskey
IBU: 65
ABV: 13% (no typo)
Cost: $6 for a full pint-most places won't pour a full pint of this heavyweight

Idle chatter: After reading the description, I thought I might find nuances of orange flavors (from the wheat), a bit of nuttiness (D'oh!) from the pecans, some mustiness from the rye and a lot more bourbon. No disappointments, just the flavors didn't really match the labeling/my expectations, but I still found this to be an excellent sipper, especially the more it warmed during the 30-45 minutes I eventually decided not to buy any products from Crafty Beer Shop.

There are a couple $10 bombers waiting to be delivered by ricks68 on one of his football journeys and I've got one I purchased that is cellaring now so it'll be interesting to taste the bottle versions after several (many?) months of aging.

Tip of the snifter to ricks68 for notifying me of this beer's release last month and buying the couple mentioned above.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 13th, 2016, 9:58 am

Grapefruit IPA (draft)-White Street Brewing Company

Drink local!

Served from a beer truck 10 yards from the brewery last PM at a street festival on (wait for it) White Street in (not so quiet) downtown Wake Forest. It don't get much fresher than this, nor cheaper as the pint pour set me back $4. Hazy amber-orange in color with a citrusy-piney nose. There was a small, foamy head and I tasted more rind and pith than I did grapefruit juice considering the 5 pounds of puree they added per keg. Similar idea/concept to the Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin but in a different category as this is a session IPA with IBUs of 45 and ABV of 4.8%, that drinks more like a regular IPA and it's on extended release but only available on draft. It would have paired nicely (the forbidden open container "rule" they had prevented me from carrying this to the restaurant) with the giant cheesesteak I had 10 minutes later a few blocks away.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 13th, 2016, 10:17 am

Hoptimist (draft)-White Street Brewing Company

More local!

Another $4 pint at Friday Night on White Street in rockin' downtown Wake Forest.

Appearance: clear orange-amber with a small, creamy head
Nose: pine, resin and citrus
Mouthfeel: slightly oily and moderately bitter
Taste: Upfront herbal, piney/resin-y with some smoothness and sweetness of butterscotch and caramel and a citrus-y finish
Malts: American 2-Row, Crystal, Vienna
Hops: Citra, Centennial, Cascade, Bravo, Amarillo
IBUs: 60
ABV: 7.5% (whoa!)

More bantering/blathering: The brewers thought grapefruit and mango, I thought more pine/resin. That many hop varieties make it a bit confusing on the mind and palate with scents and tastings to me. Solid offering but certainly not in the Ballast Point, DFH, Bells league with their flagship IPAs. It's a crowded, crowded field. I really wanted to try their limited release IPL (India Pale Lager with some experimental hops) which they had on tap inside the brewery but the very nice young beertender told me there'd be quite the line at the bar at 8 PM at night and was ready to draw me a pint that second from his beer truck so I succumbed to his charms and guile and handed over my last token (I only bought 2 anyway, 1 for before and 1 for after dinner ) for the quickie. :p
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 13th, 2016, 11:16 pm

Just Gose to show ya, I wasn't kidding.

Calimost-Wicked Weed Brewing Company

Drink regional! Drink fresh!

Brewed on 8/3/16 and bought at Total Wine today for $10 for the 4 pack, this Gose is brewed with grapefruit, honey and the usual sea salt but no mention of coriander. Poured a hazy, straw hue with a thin head that disappeared faster than a double cheeseburger at Sean May's training table. Smelled like salt, tasted like salt (Mediterranean sea salt, of course ) with a hint of tart grapefruit and an even more subtle sweetness from the honey, counterbalancing the saltiness and the mild inherent sourness of this particular style. My IBU meter guesses about 10 or less and the ABV on the bottle is 4.1%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2016, 3:33 pm

I warned y'all:

Cherry Gose-Southern Tier Brewing

This:

With a shot of vodka. Maybe 2 shots. And a couple pinches of salt. Pink Himalayan sea salt, of course .

Appearance: pink zinfandel
Aroma: cherry soda and the Atlantic Ocean
Mouthfeel: spritzy
Tastes: salty, tart/sour cherries; maybe some lemon-lime soda/a bit of sweetness
Grains: 3 types of malts (not specified); "large portion of wheat" (the farm crop, not the DBR poster )
Hops: none listed but I'd guess at least a very small amount (see IBU below)
Adjuncts: NaCl, tart cherry juice, coriander
Yeast: house ale strain and Lactobacillus buchneri
IBU: 7 (no, I didn't leave out a 2nd digit )
ABV: 8.3% (again, no typo)

More thoughts: As I suggested last PM, and fuse has mentioned a few times before, Southern Tier brews a number of "extreme" beers like Choklat, Mokah, Pumking, Warlock and, of course, Creme Brulee. This is no exception. 8.3% ABV? For a Gose? You can't be serious?!?!

This style is an acquired taste and I'm still in the acquisition mode . Certainly worth a single and I'm not unhappy having spent about $10 for the 4 pack at Total Wine yesterday as now I have a couple to gift/trade and one more to taste later this month.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2016, 11:07 pm

Flanders Red-Destihl Brewing

From their Wild Sour series, which amazingly contains 11 beers according to their website. This one poured a brilliant ruby-amber color with a small, fizzy head. Aromas were "corked" or "turned" wines and sour cherries. Tastes were lactic acid, vinegar, Sour Patch cherry kids and Warheads. I haven't had a Rodenbach for probably a decade or more but this really reminded me of that ale. Amazingly, I didn't wonder "why" as fuse mentioned, probably because he had prepared me what to expect with his review, plus, the distant memory of the intense sourness of a Belgian Flanders red ale. IBUs are 15 and the ABV is 6.1%. This is worth a single purchase for anyone wishing to try the style (I think I spent about $10 for the 4 pack) but I doubt it'll be added to your favorite list. I'll return to Total Wine later this week and buy a single Rodenbach and probably do a side-by-side, either by myself or with our son who we'll be visiting next weekend. I think it's that authentic/close to the traditional Belgian offering.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2016, 10:53 pm

devildeac wrote:Sculpin-Ballast Point Brewing Company

Consistently listed as one of the best IPAs in the world, last nights 12 ounce bottle, my first ever, made me long for what I've been missing. I think I found a 6er of this in Lexington, Kentucky last fall and this was yet another garage discovery. I've had a couple other Ballast Point brews but don't think I had ever seen this in any of my beer hunting expeditions.

Poured a light orange-yellow with a small head, this had scents of citrus and stone fruits and tastes of mango, grapefruit, orange and a bit of bready, caramel-y sweetness, too. Extremely well-balanced beverage with IBUs of 70 and an ABV of 7%, this was fine for sipping and tasting and would also accompany any mild to moderately spicy foods such as curry or Szechuan dishes. I'm not sure I'd age this so I have 3 bottles remaining that I'm not quite sure what I'll do with yet, having already given my son the first two bottles from the collection. Hmm...

Pineapple Sculpin-Ballast Point Brewing

They took one of the consistently highly rated IPAs in the US, Sculpin, and added pineapple to it as "one of many small batch cask experiments." This one didn't fail but I certainly like the original better and even thought the Grapefruit Sculpin was better. Pretty similar orange-yellow hue with a nose of citrus and tastes of stone fruits, grapefruit and a mild, pineapple juicy finish. Stats are identical to Sculpin at 70 IBUs and 7% ABV. Glad I decided against the whole 6er for $15 but happy to have spent $2.80 for the 12 ounce single to try it. It'd pair nicely with some grilled fish and a fruity-spicy salsa.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2016, 11:12 pm

Napoleon Complex-Wicked Weed Brewing

This hoppy pale ale would put a lot of IPAs to shame. Pour was a straw-yellow color with a modest head and tropical and citrus scents and tastes of peaches, nectarines, mangoes and papayas. Couldn't find the IBU # anywhere but I'd guess 50 and the ABV is 5.2%, making this highly crushable. Shrimp scampi or a seafood au gratin would make delectable entrees to accompany this outstanding pale ale. I think the 6er was $10.49 so I've got a few to share/trade.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2016, 10:04 pm

Barmy-Ballast Point Brewing

Apricot jam, orange marmalade, bananas and wild mountain honey on lightly toasted whole wheat bread. Anything else y'all want to know?

Pretty new brew as far as I can tell. Procured at Total Wine this weekend as a 6er for about $16 (no coupon ), IICC. It's a Belgian-style golden ale that really should be labeled an imperial golden ale. Pour was a yellow-orange with a creamy, fizzy, lacy head, fitting nicely into my Ommegang tulip. Oranges, bananas and light caramel aromas. Tastes as above with a grain or two of black pepper, typical for this style. Apricots and honey are added but the rest of the flavors are pretty standard for a golden/triple ale. What's not standard is the ABV of 12% as most range from 8-10%. IBUs pretty modest at 25. Dangerously drinkable. I've got 5 left. Anyone interested? ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 18th, 2016, 10:02 pm

Omie Blonde Ale-Four Saints Brewing

Drink local! (sort of)

Asheboro's newest (only?) brewery opened in May, 2015 after being in the planning stages since 2012 according to some of the articles on their site. "The beer is named after a Randolph County, NC historical figure, Naomi Wise. This beer echos her memory - favored by many, light in spirit, and deep in character."

I had a $2.50 eight ounce pour at Bottle Revolution after work today during a partial tap takeover. Pale a slightly hazy, yellow color with a modest, creamy head. Faint aromas of orange and flowers with tastes of the same with a bit of light caramel. No ingredients listed but I'd guess some Euro hops (Saaz, Tettnang perhaps) and lighter malts like Carapils, Pale and Two-row with some wheat, too. Light body too with 22 IBUs and 4.1% ABV so I could enjoy a second half pint. :D