The Job Search Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Job Search Thread

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 14th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Vibes to you Tily!! If the position is what you want, I hope they offer it to you. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 15th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Good Luck Tilly !

Shall CSI or CSI (Miami) or CRiminal Minds FBI team........... need to be called in to Tallahassee to find the 5 Missing Unc Mens Basketball Team Walk Ons?
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 15th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Wow, Tilly! Your life is a blast right now!!! And you're just getting started. 2012 will be a banner year for you!
Enjoy every minute. You've earned it.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » January 17th, 2012, 8:01 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:I have a little be of a job thing going myself. I'm applying for a job running the internal medicine residency program at Duke. This program is the largest graduate medical education program at Duke. While I love Surgery, sometimes you need to let go. This new position would be working with just one program instead of trying to manage 4-5. There is a lot of work involved with this, but again, one program. I know the hiring manager, and have known him almost the whole time I've been at Duke and have a really good rapport with him. Will be updating my resume this weekend so I can submit it next week and will be having lunch with the gal who is leaving the position (she saw an opportunity for growth and took it, much like how I'm viewing this) to talk about the good and bad of the job and people she worked with. The more I think about this job, the more I get excited about it. Need to reel myself in as I don't want to put the cart before the horse.
I had my first interview yesterday and it went very well, lasted 2 hours. As I mentioned before I know the hiring manager and we had a great talk. He shared things with me that I doubt he would share with other candidates, like he hopes to retire within 5 years and can see me taking over for him. He was very complimentary of me and my skills. He did ask me a question I've never been asked in an interview, "have you ever failed?" I had to answer truthfully, yes I have. But I've learned from my failures or mistakes along the way.

This position will supervise 2 employees, something I have never done before, but the HM seems very willing to mentor me in this area. Duke offers a course on how to supervise which is geared towards the employee who has not been a supervisor.

There is opportunity to grow and advance in this position, which is very important for me at this point in my career. I don't want to be in a dead end job. I have to give Duke a lot of credit in that they really do want their employees to grow and really are willing to make it happen, course it also helps that everyone I've worked for encourages growth, both personal and professional.

The next step is to interview with the residency program director and that will occur within the next few weeks. I may also meet or interview with a few other people. The higher you go in this world, the more people you interview with for a position.

And to think, I had briefly considered not saying anything to the HM about the plans for this position when it was vacated.
I have a second interview Thursday morning at 0830. :)
I worship the Blue Devil!
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » January 17th, 2012, 9:00 pm

TillyGalore wrote: He did ask me a question I've never been asked in an interview, "have you ever failed?" I had to answer truthfully, yes I have. But I've learned from my failures or mistakes along the way.
There is a certain camp that would say if you've never failed, you've never taken enough risk.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » January 17th, 2012, 9:01 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:I have a little be of a job thing going myself. I'm applying for a job running the internal medicine residency program at Duke. This program is the largest graduate medical education program at Duke. While I love Surgery, sometimes you need to let go. This new position would be working with just one program instead of trying to manage 4-5. There is a lot of work involved with this, but again, one program. I know the hiring manager, and have known him almost the whole time I've been at Duke and have a really good rapport with him. Will be updating my resume this weekend so I can submit it next week and will be having lunch with the gal who is leaving the position (she saw an opportunity for growth and took it, much like how I'm viewing this) to talk about the good and bad of the job and people she worked with. The more I think about this job, the more I get excited about it. Need to reel myself in as I don't want to put the cart before the horse.
I had my first interview yesterday and it went very well, lasted 2 hours. As I mentioned before I know the hiring manager and we had a great talk. He shared things with me that I doubt he would share with other candidates, like he hopes to retire within 5 years and can see me taking over for him. He was very complimentary of me and my skills. He did ask me a question I've never been asked in an interview, "have you ever failed?" I had to answer truthfully, yes I have. But I've learned from my failures or mistakes along the way.

This position will supervise 2 employees, something I have never done before, but the HM seems very willing to mentor me in this area. Duke offers a course on how to supervise which is geared towards the employee who has not been a supervisor.

There is opportunity to grow and advance in this position, which is very important for me at this point in my career. I don't want to be in a dead end job. I have to give Duke a lot of credit in that they really do want their employees to grow and really are willing to make it happen, course it also helps that everyone I've worked for encourages growth, both personal and professional.

The next step is to interview with the residency program director and that will occur within the next few weeks. I may also meet or interview with a few other people. The higher you go in this world, the more people you interview with for a position.

And to think, I had briefly considered not saying anything to the HM about the plans for this position when it was vacated.
You won't need it at all, but good luck!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 17th, 2012, 9:39 pm

I agree, good luck but I doubt you need it. :happy-bouncyblue:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 17th, 2012, 9:53 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:

Woo to the hoo! Best of luck! Vibes coming your way on Thursday morning at 0830 EST (0730 CST). :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 17th, 2012, 9:56 pm

I got an e-mail from UTMB-Galveston today. They want me to come back for an interview Jan 22-23. That's next Monday-Tuesday. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » January 18th, 2012, 5:46 am

oooooohhhh. Interview vibes all around! Go Tilly and AD!!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 18th, 2012, 8:27 am

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

interview vibes all around!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 18th, 2012, 9:04 am

More interview vibes!! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 18th, 2012, 9:19 am

Very good news for our CTN job candidates! Still vibing and praying for you all!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 18th, 2012, 9:23 am

Double interview vibes! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

DWP2.0, you're next! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 18th, 2012, 9:35 am

TillyGalore wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: (even though I don't think you'll need them!)
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 18th, 2012, 9:41 am

Vibes, thoughts and prayers to all of us in the JOB SEARCH market. Whether it is to find a New Job with great benefits or a lateral promotion....anything to better our financial and security by all means!!!! :wizard: :wizard: :pray:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 18th, 2012, 2:51 pm

When I asked permission to take Monday and Tuesday off, PHB told me I could as long as my current task is finished. It's part of a major proposal that's due next week for a project I'm not assigned to (NuBarbie is). I'm not sure if I should postpone the visit or schedule it and cross my fingers. Thoughts?

I am confident I can get my part done. The problem is that PHB keeps changing his mind on what he wants. I can envision a scenario in which I have everything completed and PHB decides he needs something completely different.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 18th, 2012, 3:01 pm

Do NOT postpone. Send an e-mail clairfying that you need to complete XYZ on the project. Be detailed. Then do it...get er done and get gone...and keep it very very quiet that you will not be there Mon/Tuesday else NuBarbie or some other troglodyte decidess to screw with you and come up with something that just MUST be done...by YOU on....and the will come up with it at 4:45 on Friday :)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » January 18th, 2012, 7:52 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I got an e-mail from UTMB-Galveston today. They want me to come back for an interview Jan 22-23. That's next Monday-Tuesday. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Vibes for you AD. Hope all goes well.

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
I worship the Blue Devil!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 18th, 2012, 8:30 pm

windsor wrote:Do NOT postpone. Send an e-mail clairfying that you need to complete XYZ on the project. Be detailed. Then do it...get er done and get gone...and keep it very very quiet that you will not be there Mon/Tuesday else NuBarbie or some other troglodyte decidess to screw with you and come up with something that just MUST be done...by YOU on....and the will come up with it at 4:45 on Friday :)
Thanks for the advice. That's what I'm doing. If PHB doesn't have the information he needs, TS.
-- Albert Einstein