Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Exercise!

Post by bluebutton » May 30th, 2011, 3:26 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Way to go, Bluebutton! It's a pity we don't live closer together and we could run a 5K together. Maybe virtually we could.... :happy-bouncyblue:
Hrm--we should look at a 5K calendar and pick something on the same weekend--Austin seems to have 5Ks all the time.

Well, I didn't run Day 2 until today, but it felt pretty good mostly because it was cloudy and quite windy. It's 93 dgr out. Did have a fun time with the whole fam in town, but I'm pretty excited about the absolute quiet in our house at this moment particularly after a night with a cranky baby.
:D :D :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :D :D
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 30th, 2011, 7:58 pm

I was inspired by lawgrad and bluebutton to start the Couch to 5K program. I bought an iPhone app and started today. Was outside initially, but I came inside and finished on my treadmill. Didn't do all the running I was supposed to do, but I got pretty close. Better luck on day 2. Now I'm off to shower!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 30th, 2011, 8:49 pm

I haven't done the next day of Couch to 5K yet. It looks like I'm going to hit 2 days a week, instead of three, but maybe I'll still get there.

Friday I "walked" four miles (four one-mile walks with DVD's), Saturday I walked 2 miles in the morning and danced the night away at a wedding in Burlington. Today we went to Cumberland Knob Recreation Area near Lowgap, NC. Memo to self: when the sign says "strenuous" hiking trail and "do not overestimate your abilities," the Park Service isn't kidding. I "walked" a mile this morning with the Biggest Loser Walking DVD, then two and a half miles at the park, with 800 feet of elevation change (that means 800 down and 800 back up). Not bad for an old fat lady. :duke:

Back to the gym tomorrow and Couch to 5K, assuming I can get out of bed in the am.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 30th, 2011, 10:28 pm

I'm watching a show where a girl lost 80 pounds in 12 weeks. How can people do that without getting ill?

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 30th, 2011, 10:38 pm

CathyCA wrote:I'm watching a show where a girl lost 80 pounds in 12 weeks. How can people do that without getting ill?

How much did she have to lose? Typically, fast weight loss isn't thought to be healthy, but some physicians think if a person is morbidly obese, whatever they can do to lose is better than them remaining at the same weight.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 30th, 2011, 10:41 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I'm watching a show where a girl lost 80 pounds in 12 weeks. How can people do that without getting ill?

How much did she have to lose? Typically, fast weight loss isn't thought to be healthy, but some physicians think if a person is morbidly obese, whatever they can do to lose is better than them remaining at the same weight.
Oh my lord, now she's lost another 50 pounds, and she's CRYING because she missed her goal!

I would classify this girl as MORBIDLY obese. She has lost an entire person, and the show isn't over yet! She's bungee jumping now!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 30th, 2011, 10:42 pm

CathyCA wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

Oh my lord, now she's lost another 50 pounds, and she's CRYING because she missed her goal!

I would classify this girl as MORBIDLY obese. She has lost an entire person, and the show isn't over yet! She's bungee jumping now!

What is the show? Is she going to need surgery to remove skin?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 30th, 2011, 10:49 pm

I don't know the name of the show--Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition or something. It's on channel 12.

She's at Day 270 now, and she's lost only 3 more pounds (which is what I think most people could lose in about 3 months).

She's a candidate for skin removal surgery. Yuck! She's still a big girl, and she needs to lose 47 more pounds to be eligible for the skin removal surgery.

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 30th, 2011, 10:54 pm

Oh boy, here comes the reveal:

Commercial break! (dang!)

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 30th, 2011, 10:59 pm

Here's the reveal, and she's still a big girl, but she's not what I would call obese. They put her in a tight dress. Probably not a good idea, but the before and after is dramatic.

At the final weigh-in, she went from 369 pounds to 208 pounds. This girl lost 161 pounds in a year. I am amazed.

She's referring to herself as skinny, and this is the first time I have ever heard a 208 pound woman call herself skinny, but with that kind of loss, I guess she's entitled to use that term.

Wow.

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 31st, 2011, 8:22 pm

Since I was still able to move after yesterday's hike, I went to the gym and did Week 2 Day 2 of the Couch to 5K.

Bluebutton and AD and I will all be proudly posting our 5K pix in no time.... :D
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 1st, 2011, 7:10 pm

Just completed Week 1, Day 2 of Couch to 5K. This time I did the entire workout on my treadmill. It worked out pretty nicely; I cranked up the speed a bit when I ran. I was also able to run my iPhone through the speakers on my treadmill, so I didn't have to fight the earphones and the cord.

Unlike W1D1, I was able to complete the entire workout. Progress! :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 1st, 2011, 7:11 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Since I was still able to move after yesterday's hike, I went to the gym and did Week 2 Day 2 of the Couch to 5K.

Bluebutton and AD and I will all be proudly posting our 5K pix in no time.... :D
You're exactly one week ahead of me! Good job!
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 1st, 2011, 7:35 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Just completed Week 1, Day 2 of Couch to 5K. This time I did the entire workout on my treadmill. It worked out pretty nicely; I cranked up the speed a bit when I ran. I was also able to run my iPhone through the speakers on my treadmill, so I didn't have to fight the earphones and the cord.

Unlike W1D1, I was able to complete the entire workout. Progress! :happy-bouncyblue:
You go, AD! :happy-bouncyblue: :clap: :dance:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 1st, 2011, 10:05 pm

Way to go ladies!!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :dance: :clap: :clap:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 1st, 2011, 10:05 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:Way to go ladies!!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :dance: :clap: :clap:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 1st, 2011, 10:07 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:Way to go ladies!!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :dance: :clap: :clap:
That was dumb. Oh well, it's good for another post. :D
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 1st, 2011, 10:31 pm

Thanks, VDB!

I did 2 miles of Leslie Sansone's walking video during work breaks and 2 miles of The Biggest Loser walking DVD tonight. I wish I had gone to the gym. I don't think I would have worked as hard.
Iron Duke #1471997.
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » June 2nd, 2011, 4:53 am

Woohoo for the C25K program. Go ladies!

I don't have an itouch or iphone, so I've been downloading podcasts with music and cues to transition from running to walking. 2 results

1) Last night I did Week 2 day 1 when I intended to do Week 1 day 3. I didn't pay attention and all of a sudden was running longer than I expected. It still went pretty well, but I felt silly.

2) I chose this podcaster because her stuff was a mix of familiar and new stuff, and the new stuff keeps me thinking about the music instead of my unsteady legs. But the funny thing is that both this time and last time there was a random track about toking up. I guess I just don't think of massive MJ use as part of a healthy life style ;) .

Despite weather near a hundred this week, I've been less miserable than expected. Yay!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 2nd, 2011, 9:08 pm

Tonight I did Week 2, Day 3. It only took me 3 weeks to get through the first two weeks of exercise. Sigh. But at least I'm getting there.

I also managed to squeeze in 2 miles of walking videos during the afternoon, interrupted sporadically by coworkers and eye candy, uh, deputies.
Iron Duke #1471997.