Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » April 12th, 2016, 10:37 pm

From 11/16/14:

(in celebration of ol roy, who fits the description well, and his NC (non-championship) this month)

Backwoods Bastard (bottled on 9/26/14)-Founders Brewing

This is a fascinating creation. My guess is that it is a variation of their Dirty Bastard which is a scotch type ale with a bit of peat and smoke. This blends nicely with the oak aging in whiskey barrels which gives it a bit of vanilla, a bit of oak and a moderate amount of boozey bourbon flavor. There are a ton of dark cherries in the brew with very mild bitterness and an IBU of 50. The ABV of 10.2% makes this quite a sipper so I'd serve it at cellar temperature in a snifter with a plate of fruit or some soft, mild cheeses for dessert. Might be heavenly with some chocolate covered strawberries. This was another August West contribution that 4 of us shared and tried to squeeze the last drop or two out of the 12 ounce bottle when we were done.

From tonight:

Somehow, I must have had one of my own sequestered after all these 18+ months .

Clarification: There are no cherries in this ale but it sure tastes like it.

Other tastes: Toasted coconut, figs, dates and dark caramel.

Cost: I think about $14 for the 4 pack and worth it.

Ratings: beeradvocate 95; ratebeer 100
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 14th, 2016, 5:00 pm

I finally had time to stop at Doule Barley Brewing in Wilson's Mills, on Hwy 70 just west of Smithfield. So glad I did. I'm drinking a pint of Angie's Amber. Very smooth. And I've had samples of the other 7 beers on tap :twitch: Seriously. I have found an IPA that's not bitter. Here's a picture of its "card". Lots of honey and no bitterness!

Guys, and Cathy, y'all need to stop by and try this place! :9f: :9f: :9f:
Attachments
image.jpeg
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 14th, 2016, 5:16 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I finally had time to stop at Doule Barley Brewing in Wilson's Mills, on Hwy 70 just west of Smithfield. So glad I did. I'm drinking a pint of Angie's Amber. Very smooth. And I've had samples of the other 7 beers on tap :twitch: Seriously. I have found an IPA that's not bitter. Here's a picture of its "card". Lots of honey and no bitterness!

Damn, that beer has 93 IBUs and you don't think it's bitter? Your palate has really, really changed :D . And no wonder the photo is sideways, the ABV is 12.2%. I guess we're lucky it's not upside down. Or blurry. :p
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 14th, 2016, 6:14 pm

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I finally had time to stop at Doule Barley Brewing in Wilson's Mills, on Hwy 70 just west of Smithfield. So glad I did. I'm drinking a pint of Angie's Amber. Very smooth. And I've had samples of the other 7 beers on tap :twitch: Seriously. I have found an IPA that's not bitter. Here's a picture of its "card". Lots of honey and no bitterness!

Damn, that beer has 93 IBUs and you don't think it's bitter? Your palate has really, really changed :D . And no wonder the photo is sideways, the ABV is 12.2%. I guess we're lucky it's not upside down. Or blurry. :p
Swear to God, it's not bitter! And the photo looks right side up on my iPhone. B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 14th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Barrel Aged Old Ale-Sierra Nevada Brewing

From their Trip in the Woods series comes this almost opaque, dark brown ale. I divided this corked and caged 750 ml bottle over a couple nights. There was very little head and aromas of smoked malts reminiscent of a Scotch ale came to mind first followed by dark, dried fruits and chocolate covered caramels. Tastes mirrored the scents, along with some toasted coconut, vanilla and a mildly whiskey-like finish. Based on the style, I'll guess IBUs around 20-30 and the ABV on the label is 8.2% which is a bit high for a Scotch ale but a bit low for an old ale. You could pair this with some ribs or brisket off the grill, a chocolate/caramel dessert or simply sip it for a nightcap. At $20 for the large format bottle, it's on the spendy side but I sincerely appreciate ricks68 choosing this for me while he visited the brewery in Mills River earlier this year.

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » April 14th, 2016, 11:09 pm

I had a beer last night. A Live Oak Hefeweizen. It was fine, I drank it all before it was warm.

http://liveoakbrewing.com/year-round/
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 15th, 2016, 10:36 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I had a beer last night. A Live Oak Hefeweizen. It was fine, I drank it all before it was warm.

http://liveoakbrewing.com/year-round/
Ooh, another Ymm, Beer participant. :ymblushing:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 17th, 2016, 7:24 am

Samichlaus (2009)-Castle Brewery Eggenberg

No typo. I really saved another beer 7 years and it was worth the wait. It was semi-intentional as I re-discovered this rotating/consolidating stock in the cellar, err, garage this spring. I did not think I had any left prior to 2010 but found this gem and "forced" myself to sip this over an hour in one sitting tonight. It is technically a double bock but really most resembles a sherry. Brown sugar and dark caramel sweet with dark cherry and very winey, sherry-like flavors. Tough to believe this is beer as it has little head but remained rather clear over the years. There was a small amount of sediment in the last 5 ml. Best served in a snifter or wine glass at cellar temperature and only as a dessert beer. Recommended to sip and savor over an hour or so as the ABV is 14% (no typo here either) and I'd guess the IBU 20-30 as it is technically a lager. I'll guess it is over $20 for a 4 pack now. The label states "The World's Most Extraordinary Beverage" which was quite a claim even 7 years ago and even more difficult to think/profess now with a lot more competitors in the very high gravity market but I still enjoy tasting one or two of these (on different nights, of course) every winter/spring, much as one enjoys seeing an old friend every year or two.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 18th, 2016, 9:19 pm

From 4/20 (really)/15:

I'll kinda/sorta recycle this from 4/7/13:

Burton Baton (3/7/10)-Dogfish Head Brewing

Best let the brewers initiate the description:

"This oak-aged gentle giant has been gaining popularity over the past few years and is now available year-round.

For Burton Baton, we brew two "threads," or batches, of beer: an English-style old ale and an imperial IPA.

After fementating the beers separately in our stainless tanks, they're transferred and blended together in one of our large oak tanks. Burton Baton sits on the wood for about a month.

When enjoying the Burton Baton, you'll find an awesome blend of the citrus notes from Northwestern hops melding with woody, vanilla notes from the oak. The wood also tends to mellow the 10% ABV of Burton, so tread cautiously!"

Now I'll take a shot. What a smooth mouthfeel! Poured a golden-bronze with a modest head and gentle scents of grapefruit and dark, brown caramel/sugar. Don't think I've had one of these for a couple years at least and last night's 12 ounce bottle reminded me how good this is. I think the cellaring enhances the oak and vanilla notes and adds some rummy/sherry flavors to the mix. IBU at 70 but the ABV of 10% hides the fairly typical DIPA hop bite very nicely. I'd enjoy this as a nightcap ale. Ahh, yes, another 2010 championship vintage.

Still celebrating!

From last PM:

Burton Baton (bottled on 4/7/11): Dogfish Head Brewing

Not quite the same brew. Perhaps a bit oxidized? Maybe too cold? Perhaps a year (or more) beyond its prime?

After 5 years in the bottle, this one tasted more like a barleywine than a DIPA. There was little to no head and the scents and tastes were more piney/resiny than citrusy and caramely. Even as it warmed, it still didn't taste like an IIPA.

All my prior reviews of this are very positive so I wouldn't hesitate buying again if I spotted it. I'd just drink it sooner, likely one when purchased and then trade/gift one and have the others 1 and 2 years later.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 22nd, 2016, 3:42 am

image.jpeg
I had a pint of this yesterday. It tasted pretty good.

That's my review. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2016, 10:17 pm

Grand Illumination Ale (2013)-Alewerks Brewing Company

This is named after their tripel-ganger fireworks display in Colonial Williamsburg each year and is an American barleywine style ale, as opposed to the English barleywine style that they brewed in 2014, which just so happens, is up next.

I finally got to have my mini-vertical over a 3 night span last week from these 2 bombers bought in December, 2014 after a conference in Williamsburg, VA. This was my Christmas gift to me that year () so for about $25, I got the 2 large format bottles (2013 and 2014) plus a shapely Alewerks snifter.

This one poured a slightly cloudy orange-amber with a nose of pine and resin. Tastes were moderate bitterness, guessing 70-80 IBUs here, and matched the piney-resiny notes with a bit of butterscotch and tobacco. Standard potency at 10% ABV and would be a nice ale to have with smoked dishes.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2016, 10:24 pm

devildeac wrote:Grand Illumination Ale (2013)-Alewerks Brewing Company

This is named after their tripel-ganger fireworks display in Colonial Williamsburg each year and is an American barleywine style ale, as opposed to the English barleywine style that they brewed in 2014, which just so happens, is up next.

I finally got to have my mini-vertical over a 3 night span last week from these 2 bombers bought in December, 2014 after a conference in Williamsburg, VA. This was my Christmas gift to me that year () so for about $25, I got the 2 large format bottles (2013 and 2014) plus a shapely Alewerks snifter.

This one poured a slightly cloudy orange-amber with a nose of pine and resin. Tastes were moderate bitterness, guessing 70-80 IBUs here, and matched the piney-resiny notes with a bit of butterscotch and tobacco. Standard potency at 10% ABV and would be a nice ale to have with smoked dishes.

Grand Illumination Ale (2014)-Alewerks Brewing Company

The differences between these 2 were rather subtle as this one was a bit darker with an orange-brown hue, smelled a bit more floral, had some orange liqueur-like flavors to it and was a bit sweeter/maltier than its older sibling. Those are supposed to be pretty much the comparisons/differences in the 2 styles with American barleywines more hop-forward and bitter and the English blokes a bit smoother/milder/maltier than their colonial cousins. This one would have similar food pairings but I might serve this with some bread pudding or a caramel dessert, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 27th, 2016, 10:07 pm

Bourbon Barrel GBS (2014)-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

I agree with beeradvocate: "freagin' Christmas in a bottle."

Take their highly coveted Gingerbread Stout reviewed 11/21/14:

Gingerbread Stout-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Well worth the time of anticipation. Duketaylor was kind enough to bring 2-750 ml bottles of this last PM, one to share and one for me. I'm accumulating my tab again, Chuck. Thanks! Poured an inky black with a tinge of brown and an almost medium tan head. It's an imperial milk stout brewed with local Virginia wildflower honey and ginger, further enhanced with the addition of Madagascar vanilla beans and Vietnamese cinnamon. The aromas are pleasant winter spices and all have their place in the concoction. Milk sugar (lactose) and oats are part of the grain bill but no others are listed. No hop names are included either and the IBUs are 55 with a potent ABV of 9.2%. Once again, I've described dessert in a glass or it could be served with pumpkin cheesecake as it was last night, or peanut butter sandwich cookies or any of the other decadent desserts that were prepared for us last PM. As one might be able to tell, our tailgate was far more tasty and enjoyable than the product on the field yesterday.

Throw it in some bourbon barrels for 12 months which adds woody/oaky and perhaps some coconut flavors and also enhances the vanilla already present, drop in a shot of Jim Beam or Jack Daniels, and you have an even more decadent concoction that I divided over 3 nights this week. Almost criminal that a beer could be so sinfully delicious.

So, if you're reading duketaylor, I'll place an order for a couple bottles of this and the plain GBS this fall/winter.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 28th, 2016, 9:29 pm

The Abyss (released 12/17/15) -Deschutes Brewery

Fuse mentioned a while ago that he felt intimidated by reviewing a legendary beer and that's how I feel about this one. I've heard about it for 5 years, maybe more, but never had the chance to purchase until this month, getting a nice shipment from a store in the midwest and I divided a bomber over the last 3 nights and sipped each sampling at cellar temperatures over 30-45 minutes each, thereby allowing them to warm a bit more during the tasting.

It's an imperial stout that is 21% aged in oak bourbon barrels, 8% in oak barrels and 21% in oak wine (pinot noir) barrels. Poured almost pitch black into an Allagash 250 ml tulip with a creamy, tan head that lingered longer than I would have expected. Rich aromas of heavily roasted malts, espresso, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits, red wine and a whiff of whiskey. Tastes as complex as the aromas, if not more so, with oak/wood, less espresso than expected (none added), black strap molasses (added), black licorice (added), blackberries, tannins, prominent vinous notes with a very subtle bourbon finish. Vanilla is also an ingredient but I missed that taste. No way I'd have thought 86 IBUs but their website states this and the ABV is a dangerous 12.2%. I'm not a licorice fan but this was extremely well done and balanced and not over-powering as I recall Uinta's Labyrinth was 2-3 years ago. Another very decadent concoction. The stamp on the label states "Best After: 12/08/16" but I couldn't wait another 7-8 months on this one. Luckily, I still have 11 more bombers...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 2nd, 2016, 9:31 pm

37 Flood (draft)-Dry Ground Brewing (Paducah, KY)

Two or three ounce taster from Cork N Bottle in Crescent Springs, KY on Saturday.

An American IPA that was a slightly cloudy orange-amber with a creamy, light tan head. Scents of pine with a bit of citrus. Piney/resiny tastes up front with a bit of caramel finish. Bitterness>grain with IBUs of 69 and ABV of 6.6% and the following ingredients: GRAIN: Riverbend Pale, Heritage and Rye, Carafoam, Caramel 40
HOPS: Columbus, Amarillo, Simcoe Not one I'd seek out/order but a decent IPA in a very crowded field.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 2nd, 2016, 9:32 pm

Axis Mundi (draft)-Madtree Brewing (Cincinnati, OH)

Another 2-3 ounce taster, this was an imperial stout that was almost black with a mocha-colored head. Mild coffee and dark, roasted grains greeted my nose and espresso, cocoa and resins greeting my taste buds. From the website's brief beer stats sheet the IBUs are 72 and ABV of 9.5% (but 70.6 and 10.5% respectively below) in this limited production seasonal. I've never seen a brewery offer a link to download their recipe but here it is:

"Axis Mundi
Size: 5 gal @ 68 °F
Efficiency: 78.0%
Attenuation: 83.0%
Original Gravity: 1.095
Terminal Gravity: 1.016
Color: 33.68
Alcohol: 10.5%
Bitterness: 70.6
13-F Russian Imperial Stout
12.48 lb (69.6%) 2-Row Brewers Malt - added during mash
2.91 lb (16.2%) 2-Row Caramel Malt 120L - added during mash
0.83 lb (4.6%) 2-Row Chocolate Malt - added during mash
0.83 lb (4.6%) Victory® Malt - added during mash
0.46 lb (2.6%) Chocolate Rye Malt - added during mash
0.42 lb (2.3%) Oats (Pregelatinized Flakes) - added during mash
0.48 oz (12.8%) Galena (13.1%) - added during boil, boiled 90 m
0.3 oz (8.0%) Galena (13.1%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
0.59 oz (15.9%) Cascade (6.8%) - added during boil, boiled 30 m
1.44 oz (38.7%) Perle (6.9%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
0.92 oz (24.5%) Cascade (6.8%) - steeped after boil"

Good representative of the style.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 2nd, 2016, 9:32 pm

Consecrator (draft)-Bell's Brewery

This was actually the 2nd sample of my 3, starting with the IPA and finishing with the RIS.

Typical doppelbock appearance of a clear, dark amber with a syrupy nose and palate-pleasing caramel, butterscotch, table syrup and very light floral tastes. I'll guess the IBUs are 20 (it's a lager) and the ABV is 8%, a bit thin for the style. I think I've had a 6er of this in the past and liked it but didn't reach for the bottles to purchase from their cooler after tasting. Off the tip of my tongue, Troegenator is certainly better along with the traditional German doppelbocks, Salvator, Optimator and Celebrator.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 2nd, 2016, 9:33 pm

From 4/19/14:

Bigfoot 2008 version-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Somehow, I found this a bit more palatable than the 2007 bottle. Poured the same color with a modest, foamy head which lingered throughout the tasting. Perhaps a bit smoother and whisky-ish but with the same nose and tastes. Still pretty brutal with the high IBUs barely balanced with the ABV of 9.6%. Still sipping my way through my collection of cellared ales. Not sure what tonight's selection will be. Last evening's/night's mini-vertical was enough for a while.

From last PM:

Bigfoot (2008-25th Expedition)-Sierra Nevada Brewing

I thought I had exhausted by Bigfoot supply but our son returned 6 bottles of his 30 beers for 30 years gift from 18 months ago and it included 3 Bigfoots/Bigfeet/Bigfooties from 2008/2009/2010 and 3 Brooklyn Monster that I haven't checked the vintages yet. They'll be later in the week.

This was perhaps a bit smoother after spending another 18 months cooped up in a 12 ounce glass container. Sipped at cellar temperature, there was a lot of pine, resin and caramel up front with a tobacco-like, smokey, whiskey-ish finish. IBUs for this are typically 90 and the ABV is 9.6% as it has been for years.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 2nd, 2016, 9:55 pm

From 11/8/14:
Bigfoot (2009 Expedition)-Sierra Nevada

Better than I expected as I've about given up on buying this beer. Just way too hoppy for too long to be really enjoyable. However, after 5 years in the cellar, this was somewhat smoother and more sippable. Poured a cloudy brown with an herbal, earthy nose and tastes of sherry, caramel and tobacco. Still rough on the palate at its traditional 90 IBU but the malty/booziness at 9.6% ABV has attained a reasonable balance. Allow it to warm for 15-30 minutes before decanting or serve with some spicy ribs or brisket. I've got two 2010 bottles and a 2012 but still don't intend to purchase this again.

From tonight:

Bigfoot (2009)-Sierra Nevada Brewing

I actually like this a bit better than the 2008 version and retain that opinion with tonight's bottle, about 7 years after its production. Careful decanting yielded a fairly clear brew until the last 5 ml. Less rough on the palate than 18 months ago. This would make a nice pairing with some smoked brisket or pork or some stinky cheeses. 2010 is on deck for tomorrow night because at 9.6% ABV, I'm only good for one of these in an evening.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 3rd, 2016, 10:59 pm

From 2/17/11:

2010 Bigfoot-Sierra Nevada Brewing

This barleywine style ale remains somewhat difficult to drink, even after a year in the cellar. It was "rough" when it was released and remains that way despite a year in the bottle. It may have been a bit warm for the pour but still had a 5 finger head (are you kidding me?) and a couple ounces of ale. So,it took about 5 minutes to pour the 12 ounce bottle. This tastes far more bitter then the usual 90-100 IBU it has been for years. There is a fairly nice medium-to-dark caramel malt balance but it is still tough to drink, cold or at cellar temperature. It still is a nice pair with BBQ foods or pungent cheeses but it is a bit softer and less brutal after 2-3 years or more of aging. ABV is 9.6%. If you buy a 6er of the 2011 release, drink one now and then age the rest and enjoy your last bottle about 5 years from now in a vertical tasting with some friends over the holidays, maybe with some 5 year old Samichlaus or Old Stock Ale .

From tonight:

Bigfoot (2010 edition)-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Free at last. Free at last. Thank God, I'm free at last .

From Bigfoot. I think.

Well, it's 5 years later and my post from 2011 comes back to bite me on the butt . This was the 3rd Bigfoot (along with the 2008 and 2009 versions) that our son marked "return to sender" from his 30 beers for 30 years about 18 months ago. Yea, it's a little smoother. Yea, it also took only 2 minutes to pour this year, but it was still a bit rough on the palate. I've even seen Bigfoot 4 packs at Harris Teeter the last year or two (WTH?) for about $10 and passed. I also saw it at the Sierra Nevada brewery about 2 months ago as a vertical 6er for $25 and passed on that opportunity, too. Didn't even check or care which years were included. Just not interested in Bigfoot anymore. Couldn't pour it out but tonight's bottle convinced me that this brew is not for me.