Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » February 17th, 2016, 6:57 am

Interesting article about nanobreweries, Burial in particular:

http://www.newsobserver.com/living/food ... 12506.html

No mention of Sub Noir in Raleigh which started as a nano and has remained that way.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 18th, 2016, 5:20 pm

From 1/28/15 but worth re-posting after last night:

Arrogant Bastard Ale-Stone Brewing

I looked through the archives and found no review of this beer so I'll guess it's been >5 years since I tasted it. Poured from a bomber and divided over 2 nights. Appeared a reddish-brown with a foamy head that lingered. Nose was pine and citrus and tastes were the same with some tobacco and a bit of caramel sweetness that lost out to the almost overwhelming hop blast. I'll guess IBUs are 80+ and the ABV of 7.2% just doesn't quite achieve balance. Stone doesn't categorize this brew but it most reminds me of Bigfoot which I stopped buying 3 years ago. I've seen it labeled an American Strong Ale but that style is less bitter, has a somewhat higher ABV and is a bit sweeter. This would be a good ale to have with game or spicy fare. I've got 3 (different) Bastards left from the mixed 4 pack I bought a couple weeks ago and the next tasting will be this weekend.

An amusing read from the "painted" bottle:

"This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!"

"You're Not Worthy (yea, I'm looking at you, c*rolina)"

From last PM:

Couple modifications as last night I had the entire bomber (11 ounces for the 2nd half and 11 ounces to celebrate that very tasty victory :D )

The ABV was more on the order of 74 or 73 ( % ), or something like that. I may be missing a decimal point in those numbers somewhere, but, then again, maybe not ;) .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 20th, 2016, 11:15 am

Ovila-Sierra Nevada and the Abbey of New Clairveux

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/specialty/ovila

And the one ricks68 was kind/smart enough to snag from the Mills River, NC location of SN is not even listed in their "3 pack." Yet.

Here's the story:

"Our Ovila® Abbey Ales series is a collaboration with the monks of the Abbey of New Clairvaux in Vina, CA. Each beer is a modern twist on a traditional Belgian-style abbey ale—monastic inspiration and American innovation. These rotating Ovila Abbey Ales highlight, when possible, local ingredients grown and harvested by the monks on their nearly 600-acre working farm. We hope you enjoy these one-of-a-kind collaboration ales." Who knew monks could brew beer? :p ;)

Here's the beer:

Poured into a pint glass from a corked and caged 375 ml bottle. It's a quad style so it was a ruby-purple tinged dark brown with very little head. Scents of raisins, dates and figs and a cornucopia of flavors of the same along with dark candi sugar and a rummy, Plumlee, err, plum-like finish. I'll guess low IBUs of 20-30 and the ABV is listed at 10.2% so another dangerously quaffable Belgian-style concoction. This is truly an outstanding ale so another hearty shout to ricks68 for selecting.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 22nd, 2016, 10:33 pm

From 1/9/16:

The Dweller (2014)-Green Man Brewery

Mattman on top of it with this one. Thanks!

The story (recounted but not redacted):

Fuse, mattman and their special guests and I met at Raleigh Brewing and exchanged ales almost a year ago and mattman felt guilty that he had been overly gifted with our brews so he went and purchased a buncha fancy Beer City beverages and returned the favor to me in May during our visit there, assuming of course that I'd deliver the "extras" to fuse, which, amazingly, I did. This bomber was kindly included in the package.

The beer:

Poured a dark, dark brown with a modest-sized, beige head, this imperial stout was cellared (no mention of bourbon, wine or any barrels) until they thought it ready and it was released in late 2014. Medium roast coffee and dark chocolate aromas up front with complex, heavy notes of semi-sweet chocolate, espresso, black strap molasses and licorice on the taste buds. I have no clue what the grains and hops are or any additives but the tastes could be there from any or all of the aforementioned ingredients. I'll guess IBUs of 50 and the ABV is listed at 10% so I was happy to have sipped this over 3 nights this week. Serve this all alone or with a portion of any chocolate/caramel dessert.

From 2/21/16:

The Dweller (2016)-Green Man Brewing

Ricks68 gets the beer sporks for this one, now available in 12 ounce bottles and dated 1/18/16 so it was fresh stuff.

Pretty similar sniffing and quaffing thoughts with this one, perhaps a bit heavy on the licorice notes but enough dark chocolate-y and molasses flavors for balance. IBUs listed at 65 on the label and the ABV is still 10%, both pretty standard numbers for an imperial stout, so it was a OAD last PM. Worth seeking out and procuring a 4 pack for tasting, sharing and cellaring one for next year.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 24th, 2016, 10:23 pm

Raleigh Wood-Raleigh Brewing

Late to the party again . But, better late than never.

Poured from bomber #689 last PM into an Alewerks snifter (7 ounce serving), it was a fairly clean/clear pecan color with about 10 bubbles on the top. Tonight's 7 ounce serving was a bit muddier but still fairly clear. Fuse has some interesting observations. Last night, this was almost all vanilla, oak/wood, dark caramel, butterscotch and mild chocolate with very little whiskey. Tonight, my aliquot was likely a bit warmer and the bourbon was more prominent up front and at the finish. There's still a lot of dark caramel sweetness, too. I'll guess IBUs of 30 and the ABV is 9%. I think the bottle was $15-16 and I'm glad they had some left at the brewery this weekend as I picked up 2 more of these for myself and purchased a couple other BBA offerings for ricks68. My only complaint is that it's a bit "thin" for the style but it is indeed a highly tasty sipper that I don't think I'd pair with anything except a warm chair and a crackling hot fire on a cold winter night, although it's about 60 degrees outside now .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 25th, 2016, 10:27 pm

From 7/3/14:

Immort Ale (10/26/11 bottle)-Dogfish Head Brewing

This is comparable to the dear old friend that you haven't seen in years that comes back to visit for a couple nights. Your home is always welcome for as long as they'd like to stay. I believe this is one of the earliest high gravity ales that I ever tasted and I'll almost always buy a 4 pack (or two) when I see it available. Still on my top 10 beer list of all time. Maybe top 5. The closest descriptor would be an old English ale. Poured a dark amber with woody scents along with maple and dark caramel. There are hints of vanilla and dark fruits along with a trace of smoke. Made with Massachusetts maple syrup, English and Belgian yeasts and aged on oak, this is an exquisite sipping ale. IBUs noted at 50 and the ABV is 11%. I divided this 12 ounce bottle over 2 nights. Got 2 left from 2011 and 3 from 2012.

From the last 2 nights:

Well, maybe not top 5 any more or even top 10. There's simply too may great beers to be tasted . But, it's still an excellent sipping old ale and a nice one to taste along with Raleigh Wood, in reduced quantities, of course. There was a bit of fine sediment in the last 5 ml which I didn't completely avoid but it didn't detract from my enjoyment. Still worth a purchase for about $12 for a 4 pack if/when you see it but not convinced aging it this long made it much better, if at all. I have a 2011 and 2012 left, I think, and they may have to wait until the fall.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 29th, 2016, 10:27 pm

Otra Vez-Sierra Nevada Brewing Company (Mills River/Fletcher, NC)

Drink local!

Packaged on 2/11/16 at their (almost) new brewery in Beer City, USA, this is an interesting variation of a gose-style ale. Decanted into a pint glass from a 12 ounce bottle, the color was straw with a smallish head. Slightly floral, fruity nose with tastes of pear, apple, a pinch of coriander, a smaller pinch of salt and a drop or two of white grapefruit juice, with a minimally tart finish. Next to no bitterness at 5 IBUs (no typo) from hops listed as "experimental" and the ABV of 4.5% from two row pale and wheat malts with adjuncts of cactus, grapefruit and coriander. Our younger son-in-law visited the brewery in Asheville last week and had six 2 ounce samples and liked this the best (he has a tender palate), purchasing 6ers of cans and bottles (to compare taste/quality and to share/trade ) for Triangle distribution. This would pair nicely with summer weather (hey, it was 70 here today), a plate of fresh fruit or a light seafood entree.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 2nd, 2016, 10:37 pm

Cherry Midnight Brue-Brueprint Brewing

Dark Godiva chocolate soda meets Kirschwasser and Jim Beam drops by for a visit. Or maybe this is an old fashioned fountain chocolate cherry coke with a generous shot of Jack Daniels. Or, could it be a semi-sweet chocolate covered cherry with a liquid bourbon center.

I divided this capped bomber over 3 nights and each night it poured a dark mahogany with ruby-tinged edges. Briefly, there were a few bubbles at the periphery of my Alewerks snifter and if you blinked, you missed them. Bourbon up front, in the middle and at the end of each sip with dark chocolate, dark cherries, wood and vanilla checking in, too. I'll guess 50 IBUs as it's an imperial stout that has been aged in bourbon barrels that drinks "bigger" than its 8.5% ABV on the bottle.
My usual suggestions for pairings with an elixir like this would be a) almost anything chocolate, cake or confections b) a black forest cake or c) a warm fire.

Many thanks to fuse for this gem of a find.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 5th, 2016, 9:06 am

Eight Point IPA-Devil's Backbone Brewing Company

The story:

"This is the first batch of beer we brewed after the conception of Devils Backbone Brewing Company in 2008. Our brewmaster Jason Oliver was thinking about how to design the IPA when he heard a rustle near his fence line (just touching the woods) where he saw two young proud eight point bucks walking along it. He decided to name the beer after those young bucks as it seemed to fit the spirit of the beer,which is proud, brash, youthful, yet approachable. Citrus, Pine, Snap.
Basecamp Favorites represent our core brewing principles: balance, approachability and trueness to style."

The beer:

Hops: Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe
Malts: Pilsen, Caramel, Torrified Wheat

Poured a golden yellow from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Generous, foamy head with pine and resin all the way through with a bit of caramel. I don't sense the Simcoe hoops, err, hops, much at all. Reasonably well-balanced brew and a quality IPA in a crowded field. Worth a tasting.

ABV: 6.2%
IBU: 60
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 8th, 2016, 10:27 pm

devildeac wrote:Black Rye-Founders Brewing

Many thanks to dpslaw for this trader a couple games ago. I'd put this in the same gendre as Lagunitas Night Time and Maine Beer Company Weez, meaning, it's a black IPA. But this is a bit twisted with heavily roasted rye and wheat malts, so there's a bit of mustiness, a bit of citrus and a lot of milk chocolate and coffee, both in the aromas and on the palate. Think pumpernickel rye bread dipped in dark chocolate with a cup of espresso. Dark, dark brown appearance with a mocha head, lots of bitterness (78 IBUs) and some booze at 7.5 ABV, both very similar to the Maine and Lagunitas offerings mentioned above. I appreciate the high quality of the product and the desire to be different, but I think I liked Night Time and Weez just a bit better, but I'd certainly be willing to do a side-by-side if someone could assemble all 3 suspects at the same tailgate.

From 9/24/15:

Black Rye-Founders Brewing

Many thanks to dpslaw for this trader a couple games ago. I'd put this in the same gendre as Lagunitas Night Time and Maine Beer Company Weez, meaning, it's a black IPA. But this is a bit twisted with heavily roasted rye and wheat malts, so there's a bit of mustiness, a bit of citrus and a lot of milk chocolate and coffee, both in the aromas and on the palate. Think pumpernickel rye bread dipped in dark chocolate with a cup of espresso. Dark, dark brown appearance with a mocha head, lots of bitterness (78 IBUs) and some booze at 7.5 ABV, both very similar to the Maine and Lagunitas offerings mentioned above. I appreciate the high quality of the product and the desire to be different, but I think I liked Night Time and Weez just a bit better, but I'd certainly be willing to do a side-by-side if someone could assemble all 3 suspects at the same tailgate.

From last PM (bottled on 12/6/14):

I didn't intend to "age" this ale this long . However, after 15 months, I don't think much has changed. Perhaps a bit more pine and citrus and a tad less chocolate. I'm still waiting to assemble that side-by-side .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 9th, 2016, 10:27 pm

From 1/22/15:

Skillet Donut Stout-Burial Beer Company

Dark fudge coffee. Or maybe coffee infused dark chocolate fudge. I divided this 750 ml capped bottle that ricks68 kindly delivered last week over the last couple nights. Poured a slightly thin, almost black hue with a huge coffee nose from the 50/50 blend of cold pressed Hologram and Big Trouble coffees from Counter Culture Coffee (as stated on Burial's website). Bottle says 9 malts, website says 6-row Pale malt, along with Nugget hops, oats, milk sugar (lactose), molasses, and surprisingly, no chocolate. But this sure tastes like semi-sweet dark chocolate morsels with a handful of raisins. I think they serve this at the brewery with a chocolate donut hole. It'd also be delicious with any other chocolate or caramel dessert or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Liquid dessert also works. Comparable to Founder's Breakfast Stout but not quite in the same league as their KBS, but you never know what a few months of bourbon barrel aging might do to this ale. IBUs stated as 60 and ABV at 8% and served at about 50-55 degrees as suggested on the bottle. They claim this will be canned in early 2015 so I can imagine the demand for this may be rather high.

Skillet Donut Stout (can)-Burial Beer Company

Tonight's beverage. Well, they finally canned it sometime late in 2015 or even early this year .

Not sure it's much different from an aluminum vessel. Still makes me think of dark chocolate fudge coffee. Decadent stuff and another big thanks to ricks68 for selecting and delivering this 16 ounce serving for about $3.50.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 12th, 2016, 10:35 pm

From 3/28/15:

Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel Stout-New Holland Brewing

It ain't from Asheville so I think ricks68 picked this up on a whim after having it on draft from one of his (many) favorite watering holes. I usually divide a bomber of a high gravity ale over two nights but this one was consumed over two halves last PM. Poured a dark brown with a modest light tan head. The body/texture was a bit thin for a stout but the tastes were not. Aromas were cocoa, vanilla, wood, bourbon and a whiff of coffee, though it is not an ingredient. Tastes were heavily roasted grains up front and matched the aromas pretty closely with a mildly boozy finish. Glacier and Nugget hops provided little bitterness and an IBU rating of 31. Grains included 2 row, Munich, Caramel, Crystal, Black, Chocolate malt and flaked barley and drove the ABV to 11%. Vintage date on this was 2014 with no month specified. I don't drink many New Holland products but this will make me look again when I see them on the shelves and try some of their other products.
Thanks again to ricks68 for selecting this and including it in his recent delivery.

From last PM:

Dragon's Milk BBA Stout (2015 vintage)-New Holland Brewing

I don't think the recipe has changed much since the 2014 vintage above. Three of us raided his beer fridge (on more than one occasion) before (and after) his arrival last PM to his surprise 70th birthday party and we were quite happy we did. So the bomber was divided fairly equally among 3 of us in our tulip glasses and all partakers were very impressed with all the features above with a warm, boozy middle and finish.

Thanks to ricks68 for leaving this in his beer fridge for our arrival .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Toured the Sierra Nevada brewery in Mills River, NC yesterday with mattman91 and Amused Cupcake and got to sample 9 brews so here ya go with a bunch of 2.5 ounce reviews:

Pale Ale

Their flagship beer, but not their original. IIRC, our tour guide said their stout was first, then their excellent porter, followed by the pale ale, all being first released in 1980. This is a classic PA with a smallish head, golden-yellow color with a piney and resiny nose and tastes to match. More bitter that the stats would indicate at IBUs of 38 and an ABV of 5.6%, from Magnum, Perle and Cascade hops and Two-row pale and Caramel malts. I haven't had one of these in years and it's nice to return to an old friend.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2016, 8:15 pm

Kellerweis

Their Bavarian-style wheat beer which is fermented in open tanks, a rather unusual process for the style. Hazy and sunshine yellow in color, the nose is very ripe bananas, cloves and oranges and the tastes match exactly. Very easy on the palate at 15 IBUs and highly sessionable at 4.8% ABV, with Perle or Sterling hops and Two-row Pale, Wheat and Munich malts, respectively. I'd serve with a fruit plate, a light seafood entree or soft cheeses.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2016, 8:26 pm

Nooner

No, not the time for our first tailgate this season, but a Sierra Nevada pilsner, if you can believe it. Clear, light yellow pour with a pungent floral nose and floral bitterness on first sip, followed by mild, light caramel sweetness. German Perle, Saphir, Tettnanger and Strisselspalt hops pair with Two-row Pale, Pilsner, Munich, Acidulated malts with the edge to the hops here, a bit unusual for a pilsner as the IBUs are somewhat high at 38 with a pretty standard ABV of 5.2%. Serve with wienerschnitzel und spätzle. Prosit!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2016, 10:31 pm

Otra Vez (Gose-style ale)

Yea, I've posted twice about this already () with the bottled and canned versions but this was quite fresh, a bit more sour, salty and fruity on draft. Almost no head and pale yellow in color. Aromas of pear, salt, spice and citrus with the salt, coriander and fruitiness in that order for the tasting. Hops are listed as experimental but they have virtually no presence with an IBU rating of 5 (no typo). Two-row pale and wheat malts along with adjuncts of prickly pear cactus, grapefruit and cactus complete the list of ingredients, along with an ale yeast and fresh-from-the well Henderson County water from western NC. Their suggested pairings:

CUISINE Thai or Vietnamese noodle dishes. Grilled Mahi. Pickled watermelon salad
CHEESE Fresh tangy goat’s cheese
DESSERT Grapefruit and mint sorbet
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2016, 10:40 pm

Beer Camp Tropical IPA

Raising the stakes a bit here with an IPA that checks in at 55 IBUs from Amarillo, Mosaic, Citra, Comet, El Dorado hops and a fairly nice balancing ABV of 6.7% from Two-row Pale, Munich, Honey malts, mattman and I both thought this smelled and tasted like cannibis, but we know that's not legal in NC . There were some tropical fruity flavors and aromas, too, almost like Juicyfruit gum. Medium yellow color with a modest, foamy head, this would pair well with the usual suspects for IPAs, that being curried or medium hot/spicy Chinese dishes.

Another brew, much to fuse's chagrin, that is widely commercially available .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2016, 10:46 pm

Torpedo Extra IPA

Getting even more serious now, they took Magnum, Crystal, Citra hops and "torpedo'ed" them into a light yellow-amber elixir with scents and tastes of pine, citrus, resin and a bit of tropical fruits. IBUs roll in at 65 and ABV at 7.2%. I'd grill some ribs or a brisket with a peppery/spicy rub and serve them together. Man, I almost wish it was FB season already.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 14th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Peppercorn Saison

Kinda, sorta new I guess and I don't think available outside the brewery. They previously released a mandarin orange peppercorn saison in the Ovila series but this is not it. Somewhat surprisingly, this is cola-colored with a small, tan head. Some dark fruit and spices up front with mild black pepper and dark fruits again on the palate. No ingredients to be found on their website but IBUs listed at 41 and ABV at 6.2%. A nice variation on the traditional farmhouse/table ale that would pair well with stews, roasts and grilled fare.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 14th, 2016, 7:59 pm

Porter

I think our guide said this was their 2nd release back in 1980, after the stout and before the pale ale. Pretty traditional take on the style but interestingly, it's bottle conditioned. Poured a dark brown with a creamy, beige head. Roasted grains and coffee on the nose with cocoa and some dark caramel accompanying them on tasting. Hops listed are Aurora and Yakima Golding with malts being Two-row Pale, Munich, Chocolate, Caramel and Black & Carafa. Perhaps a bit hop forward for a porter at 32 IBUs and the ABV is a pretty standard 5.2%. Serve with BBQ fare or some chocolate/caramel baked goods with dessert.