LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » August 6th, 2009, 11:44 pm

devildeac wrote:It was fun catching up on more than a page of postings but I am whipped and have a LONG day tomorrow. Today, I met with a real estate agent, got my hair cut and (hopefully) sold a car. And that was after more than a 1/2 day of work...
Wow, all that AND a PWing frenzy? You must be exhausted! ;) :roll: :lol:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 6th, 2009, 11:45 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm painting.
Hi, painting! :-B
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » August 6th, 2009, 11:46 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I Am A Town by Mary Chapin Carpenter

I'm a town in Carolina, I'm a detour on a ride
For aphone call and a soda, I'm a blur from the driver's side
I'm the last gas for an hour if you're going twenty-five
I am Texaco and tobacco, I am dust you leave behind

I am peaches in September, and corn from a roadside stall
I'm the language of the natives, I'm a cadence and a drawl
I'm the pines behind the graveyard, and the cool beneath their shade, where the boys have left their beer cans
I am weeds between the graves.

My porches sag and lean with old black men and children
Their sleep is filled with dreams, I never can fulfill them
I am a town.

I am a church beside the highway where the ditches never drain
I'm a Baptist like my daddy, and Jesus knows my name
I am memory and stillness, I am lonely in old age; I am not your destination
I am clinging to my ways
I am a town.

I'm a town in Carolina, I am billboards in the fields
I'm an old truck up on cinder blocks, missing all my wheels
I am Pabst Blue Ribbon, American, and "Southern Serves the South"
I am tucked behind the Jaycees sign, on the rural route
I am a town
I am a town
I am a town
Southbound.
Great, great song. Good call, Ymo.

If I were to ever get drunk enough to sing Karaoke in public, I'd have to do MCC's "I feel lucky." :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 6th, 2009, 11:46 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:in keeping with the strange names thread, Batesville, AR has a Gwen St. and a Bearette St. They intersect. A former colleague of mine had a house at that intersection. That would be at the corner of Gwen and Bearette. :D
Groan!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 6th, 2009, 11:48 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:in keeping with the strange names thread, Batesville, AR has a Gwen St. and a Bearette St. They intersect. A former colleague of mine had a house at that intersection. That would be at the corner of Gwen and Bearette. :D
Groan!
There's a Dykes Street right around the corner from my middle school. The sign is frequently stolen by area lesbians.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 6th, 2009, 11:49 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:

If I were to ever get drunk enough to sing Karaoke in public, I'd have to do MCC's "I feel lucky." :D
I like that song. In fact, I like that entire album. "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug" is a fave as well. I've been known to randomly sing bits of both songs. They just apply to so many situations! :D
-- Albert Einstein
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 6th, 2009, 11:49 pm

wilson wrote:
bjornolf wrote:I had an acquaintance at Duke whose name last name was Fag. He was in ROTC. Think of the unfortunate combos his rank and last name would make if he made a career in the military: major, general, captain, private, corporal.

%%-
"Major Fag" is obviously hilarious, but I think my favorite is "Captain Fag." Truly unfortunate, but undeniably funny.
And I guess this means I'm 26, going on 8.
My college roommate was in ROTC. She married a guy with the last name of Beaver. She refused to take his last name, because she was afraid she'd never be promoted past Captain. =)) :))
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 6th, 2009, 11:51 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:

I like that song. In fact, I like that entire album. "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug" is a fave as well. I've been known to randomly sing bits of both songs. They just apply to so many situations! :D
That would be my encore. ;)

And yes, it's an excellent album all around. One I could leave in my car CD player for months on end, and not get tired of it, ya know?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 6th, 2009, 11:51 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:

That album is also a favorite among my family, especially my mom. Some of the lyrics/songs that I always knew to really speak to her are really telling in retrospect.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 6th, 2009, 11:56 pm

When we get the chat room running, the LTE will suffer drastically.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 6th, 2009, 11:57 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:When we get the chat room running, the LTE will suffer drastically.
...along with all of our productivity.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 6th, 2009, 11:58 pm

wilson wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:

That album is also a favorite among my family, especially my mom. Some of the lyrics/songs that I always knew to really speak to her are really telling in retrospect.
I've always liked "He Thinks He'll Keep Her" as well and am also intrigued by people's responses to it. I know one person in particular who thought it was a horrible song, but this particular person would likely be very much like the husband in the song. One could potentially get an interesting sociological study from that song.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 6th, 2009, 11:58 pm

Seriously though, I will honestly have to limit my chat room time. I could easily bullshit with y'all for 12 hours a day. I might keep it to game time +1 hour or something.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 6th, 2009, 11:59 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: I've always liked "He Thinks He'll Keep Her" as well and am also intrigued by people's responses to it. I know one person in particular who thought it was a horrible song, but this particular person would likely be very much like the husband in the song. One could potentially get an interesting sociological study from that song.
That's the primary song I had in mind in my above comment about Mom, and I'll say no more, but you get the picture.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 7th, 2009, 12:03 am

wilson wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: I've always liked "He Thinks He'll Keep Her" as well and am also intrigued by people's responses to it. I know one person in particular who thought it was a horrible song, but this particular person would likely be very much like the husband in the song. One could potentially get an interesting sociological study from that song.
That's the primary song I had in mind in my above comment about Mom, and I'll say no more, but you get the picture.
I guessed that, but only because I know the album so well. And, yes, I get the picture. In reality, I think anyone who has ever felt unappreciated should be able to identify with that song.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 7th, 2009, 12:04 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
wilson wrote:
I guessed that, but only because I know the album so well. And, yes, I get the picture. In reality, I think anyone who has ever felt unappreciated should be able to identify with that song.
And there's even a song on that album for anyone who's ever wanted to win the lottery! :D
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 7th, 2009, 12:26 am

Good Gawd, I've posted like fifty times a day this week. I really should chill out.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 7th, 2009, 12:26 am

Not to worry though; I'll be otherwise engaged for much of the weekend.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 7th, 2009, 12:28 am

wilson wrote:Not to worry though; I'll be otherwise engaged for much of the weekend.
I'm sure Tilly, Sue, and Cathy would agree with me that PWing is FAR more fun than packing and/or unpacking. Alas, I have to clean my spare room this weekend (company's coming), so unpacking is on my agenda. :-q
(thumbs down to unpacking, not the company)
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 7th, 2009, 12:30 am

wilson wrote:Good Gawd, I've posted like fifty times a day this week. I really should chill out.
As my niece used to ask, at age 3, "Why?"
-- Albert Einstein