Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2015, 6:31 pm

Palate cleansing time. What'd we use? Look below:

Best Brown Ale-Bell's Beers

What has beer tasting come to when we're using a brown ale to cleanse the taste buds after a high gravity dessert.

This 12 ounce bottle was shared about 4 ways and poured a clean, medium brown with a nutty, malty, dark toasted bread nose and caramel and chocolate on the palate. Very mildly, herbally bitter, guessing IBUs around 30 with ABV of 5.8%. I think solid desserts had not been served yet and we had some more pulled pig, slaw, German potato salad, spicy baked beans and corn casserole about this time. Pretty classic brew.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2015, 7:01 pm

Insanity (2015 I'll guess)-Weyerbacher Brewing

This was a shared 12 ounce bottled version and, as a draft sample was reviewed a couple weeks ago, I'll keep this short. It's their oak/bourbon barrel aged version of Blithering Idiot, their barleywine style ale, so I mislead August West, the prior owner of this bottle, into thinking it was an imperial stout before we uncapped and poured. Heresy is the BBA version of Old Heathen, their imperial stout. Dark brown color, little head and aromas of dark fruits and tastes of the same with a bit of vanilla, oak, toasted coconut and a splash of booze. I'll guess IBUs of 60 but this was incredibly smooth with a mild alcohol burn, especially at 11.1% ABV. I think there were 4 of us still standing at this point.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2015, 7:14 pm

From 4/12/15:

120 Minute IPA (4/17/2008-no typo)-Dogfish Head

Consumed and reviewed in honor of our championship performance in the NCAAT last week. Once again, I have difficulty reviewing this as a beer because it is such a unique concoction. I believe it is continuously or repeatedly hopped for its 120 minute boiling cycle. This yields an intensely citrusy and fruity profile to the tune of 120 IBU. Yet another reason for its 120 minute name. There is a minimal head to this cloudy, red-orange pour and it is best sipped and savored slightly chilled in small aliquots due to its 18-20% ABV. The massive amount of grain to reach this high gravity impart a sherry-like taste, in addition to some whiskey-ish notes, thereby balancing the palate-scorching high IBU. The 12 ounce bottles of this are about $12 according to duketaylor as I obviously haven't bought one for about 7 years and I finished this one over 3-4 nights. If you can find any, buy several and age them for a few years as I have done and then compare tastings.

From 9/12/15:

120 Minute IPA (date rubbed off bottle from too much handling)-DFH

I'll guess this was a 2014 or 2015 bottle as CB&B just bought this in DC and generously/kindly/graciously divided this among the 3 remaining tasters who were still standing (but leaning heavily) and semi-conscious.

Pretty much as above and surprisingly sippable despite its (assumed) youth. He thinks it was about $14-15 for the bottle and we all thought it really didn't taste like beer but more like sherry. Definitely a dessert or nightcap beverage served in small quantities from a small tulip at near room temperature, with a fire extinguisher readily available as this might be one fermented, malted beverage that could ignite.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Finestkind-Smuttynose Brewing Company

Make mine a Smutty!

Part of my 6 pack of traders with CB&B at tailgate yesterday, this is their IPA offering in a very crowded field. Poured a light golden-yellow with a modest head, their hop assortment ends up being more herbal and grassy than fruity, both on the nose and whilst sipping the full 12 ounces of this bottle. Might be even a few hints of cannabis in this one. The malty ones: North American 2-Row, Crisp Pale Ale, C-60. The hoppy guys: Bittering: Magnum, Flavoring: Simcoe, Centennial, Santiam, Cascade; Dry hops: Amarillo, Centennial. Vital stats are 6.9% ABV and IBUs listed at 73.5 (really?). Good stuff for grilled fare or spicy dishes. Certainly worth a trader to try a new IPA and and sample another one of their brews as I've liked some of their brews in the past (Old Brown Dog and Big A IPA come to mind), but not worth a 6er.
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » September 14th, 2015, 9:50 pm

devildeac wrote:Finestkind-Smuttynose Brewing Company

Make mine a Smutty!

Part of my 6 pack of traders with CB&B at tailgate yesterday, this is their IPA offering in a very crowded field. Poured a light golden-yellow with a modest head, their hop assortment ends up being more herbal and grassy than fruity, both on the nose and whilst sipping the full 12 ounces of this bottle. Might be even a few hints of cannabis in this one. The malty ones: North American 2-Row, Crisp Pale Ale, C-60. The hoppy guys: Bittering: Magnum, Flavoring: Simcoe, Centennial, Santiam, Cascade; Dry hops: Amarillo, Centennial. Vital stats are 6.9% ABV and IBUs listed at 73.5 (really?). Good stuff for grilled fare or spicy dishes. Certainly worth a trader to try a new IPA and and sample another one of their brews as I've liked some of their brews in the past (Old Brown Dog and Big A IPA come to mind), but not worth a 6er.
Unless CB&B included one in his trader that one was from me. I haven't had one yet. I'll put in my two cents worth when I consume one. AW. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2015, 10:41 pm

August West wrote:
devildeac wrote:Finestkind-Smuttynose Brewing Company

Make mine a Smutty!

Unless CB&B included one in his trader that one was from me. I haven't had one yet. I'll put in my two cents worth when I consume one. AW. :D

Oops :ymblushing: . I may have gotten my 6ers mixed up or re-arranged them after unpacking to fit in the 'fridge. Thanks to AW for this one. Look at the next post/review. You're getting the credit but it coulda been CB&B's beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Pale Ale-Founder's Brewing

Thanks to August West for the trader. Not sure I've had this before and, if I have, it's been quite a number of years. Poured a light copper-yellow color with a modest head. Website notes claim citrusy. I'll claim herbal and floral aromas and slightly piney and caramel-y tastes. Solid session beer at 35 IBUs and 5.4% ABV so easily enjoyable with brats, burgers, chicken or mildly spicy ribs off the grill.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 15th, 2015, 9:58 pm

La Luna Rossa Cuvee 2012-Bottle 756-Birrificio del Ducato

My "earlier" bottle must have been a little different than the above Bottle 761. But not much. I thought the first 11 ounces were not bad. Effervescent but without much of a lingering head and with a lot of sour cherry tastes. Then the acidity and vinegar kicked in, along with some astringency and medicinal and metallic tastes in the finish. Not very pleasant. After reading the bottle, I had high hopes, especially at the cost per ounce. I had even higher hopes after reading a bit more about it on beeradvocate and rate beer where it had scores of 87 and 96, respectively. After fuse's review, I wondered whether I should even open it. The last 2-3 tsp were undrinkable and I decanted my bottle slowly, especially the second night. I'd be interested in the Love Ninja's thoughts about the first half of the bottle.

I'd never ask for a refund. I agreed to the purchase and I'll put that one on the chalkboard as a learning experience for both of us. I still think I lead in bad beer if you're counting ounces as the Salamander Slime was 16 ounces and this was only 11.2. You lead in the cost per ounce category. I'll call it a draw.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 15th, 2015, 10:20 pm

Big Punisher-Jailbreak Brewing

A very solid and surprising trader from CB&B at tailgate on Saturday. Poured a light golden-yellow with a moderate foamy head and very pleasant tropical and citrus aromas and tastes of the same with grapefruit, orange and tangerine. Pretty well-balanced with some mildly sweet caramel influence. Pretty potent, too, with IBUs of 93 and ABV at 8.5% so it's a DIPA. Sometimes you discover swill and others you discover hidden gems from unknown brewers and this is one of them. It won't make any top 5 or top 10 IIPA lists but it's a quality entry into a crowded grouping that I'd certainly sip again if offered.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 17th, 2015, 8:56 am

Enjoyed an art opening at the Overland Gallery last night, right around the corner from the Mother Earth brewery. Good beer, better art!
MotherEarth.jpg
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 17th, 2015, 10:18 pm

devildeac wrote:Brown Shugga' (draft)-Lagunitas Brewing

They claim this was originally a failed attempt at their 1997 release of Olde GnarlyWine Ale. This was my third and final 5 ounce sample of the evening so I made it my dessert beer. Poured a medium brown with a small head, the nose was pancake syrup and dark rum and the tastes were dark, dried cherries, syrup, dark brown sugar (d'oh!) and some more rum. They really do add brown sugar to the grain bill which I'm sure helped the yeasts turn out some more ABV, reaching 9.99%. Bitterness is moderate and mostly herbal and piney and I'd guess 60-70 IBUs. Available in 12 ounce bottles for a limited time.
It's back...

(from 12/8/14)

Brown Shugga' (draft)-Lagunitas Brewing

They claim this was originally a failed attempt at their 1997 release of Olde GnarlyWine Ale. This was my third and final 5 ounce sample of the evening so I made it my dessert beer. Poured a medium brown with a small head, the nose was pancake syrup and dark rum and the tastes were dark, dried cherries, syrup, dark brown sugar (d'oh!) and some more rum. They really do add brown sugar to the grain bill which I'm sure helped the yeasts turn out some more ABV, reaching 9.99%. Bitterness is moderate and mostly herbal and piney and I'd guess 60-70 IBUs. Available in 12 ounce bottles for a limited time.

From a 12 ounce bottle tonight, traded by August West.

Medium to dark amber pour, moderate-sized, creamy tan head with table syrup and herbal/woody aromas and potent, boozey rummy, brown sugary tastes. Drinks a bit more bitter than the 51 IBUs on the label but that's easily smoothed by the 9.9% ABV in the other lower corner of said label.

"Brown sugar how come you taste so good?"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 20th, 2015, 5:46 pm

From 6/3/12:
devildeac wrote:Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale-Lagunitas Brewing

Quite the discovery here as I wandered through Harris Teeter last week on a mission to see what grocery store craft brews I could purchase on their first ever 20% off sale and I grabbed a 6er of this along with 3 others to sample/trade/gift. Poured a golden amber with a modest foamy head that had aromas of pine, citrus and caramel with hints of medium brown sugar and honey. The tastes of this strong ale matched fairly well with some scents of maple, too. Moderate hop blast with a "devilish" IBU rating of 66.6. Fairly smooth with only mild alcohol burn despite its ABV of 9.8%. There was only one of these on the agenda for the evening and I sipped it over an hour from a standard pint glass and, the more it warmed, the sweeter and rummy-er (?) it became. I think it was $9.49 on the shelf but with the 20% off, it ended up at $7.60 out the door, an excellent value for a high quality, high gravity brew.

From 9/19/15:

Both CB&B and August West traded me one of these yesterday and I'm not sure whose I drank for proper credit :ymblushing: . The other will likely go out in another trading session with our son next month.

Impressions are pretty similar except perhaps a hint of vanilla this time (not added) and a bit lower ABV in the 2015 version at 9.3%. Described as an American strong ale, it probably is closest to a barleywine in terms of familiar styles. Find a 4 pack, drink one now, save one for a year and trade the other two. AW and I wonder what'll happen now that Lagunitas is 50% owned by Heineken.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 20th, 2015, 5:51 pm

From 11/30/14:
devildeac wrote:Hefe Weissbier-Weihenstephaner Brewery

Graciously contributed by Bob Green, we started our tasting with this classic offering from the oldest brewery in the world. Poured gently from a 500 ml bottle, this highly rated (98 on Beer Advocate), unfiltered wheat beer was a cloudy straw color with a generous, foamy head which lingered for a while. The aromas were underripe bananas with a pinch of cloves with tastes to match, along with a bit of orange from what is likely about 50% wheat malt. Many German breweries still abide by the Reinheitsgebot, the German Beer Purity Law, which originally stated only hops, water and barley could be used to brew beer, allowing for natural fermentation without yeast. Very easy to sip at 18 IBUs, it made a nice beginning to our session, aided by the ABV of 5.4%.
From 9/18/15:

Yea, I know it's a repeat but when somebody trades me a really, really good beer or a classic, they/it needs to be recognized so August West gets the credit here for a 12 ounce trader from the NCCU tailgate. I enjoyed this on Friday with some leftover Qdoba rice, black beans, mildly spicy chicken and some romaine topped with tomatillo sauce and pico de gallo.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 20th, 2015, 9:21 pm

Punk'n-Uinta Brewing

Earth, wind and beer.

A solid entry into a very crowded field received as a trader from dpslaw. Poured an orange-amber with a mild chill haze and a moderate head. Nose of the usual suspects from the fall spice rack with light pumpkin tastes up front and somewhat heavy on the cinnamon mid-sip and in the finish. Bitterness? Almost non-existent with IBUs of 10. ABV? Very sessionable at 5%. Food pairings? Well, I had my 12 ounce bottle with half a slice of 4 layer carrot cake and my palate was very happy. Worth a single or inclusion in a tasting session if you're trying to find a favorite or three in the large selection available as your favorite bottle shop.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2015, 10:46 pm

From 1/21/13:

Serum-DuClaw Brewing

An even newer brew/er than the Idiot from above. I've never heard of this outfit but it was a quality ale. CB&B picked one (several?) of these up in a specialty shop near Blacksburg over the Thanksgiving holiday and we traded a 6er at the Miami game. Just getting around to drinking one last week. Damned bottle still smells like ginger beer from the one he busted in his cooler before trading. Poured a light orange-yellow with a small head with scents of pineapple, grapefruit and mango with a good, sweet malty balance. Not quite as monstrously hopped as the Idiot, this one measured 80 IBU. A bit more ABV at 9% so this would also match nicely with hot/spicy fare.

From tonight:

A trader from CB&B from his recent DC/MD trip and another entry into a crowded field. I think the 2015 version is a bit less hoppy and a bit more piney and less tropical than the 2012/13 version above. A bit more copper color to this edition with IBUs perhaps around 70 and ABV a bit lower at 8.3% but still in IIPA territory, albeit at the lower number range.

I'm going to finish my Lagunitas Sucks from last PM and probably post a comparison later tonight or tomorrow. I think I already have my winner.

Merlindevildog responded to my review in 2013 with this gem:

"I think the brewery name should be pronounced DUKE LAW."

I also need to search the archives a bit to figure out who/what I'm calling "the Idiot from above."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2015, 9:45 pm

devildeac wrote:Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale-Lagunitas Brewing

The story behind the brew:

This sad holiday season we didn’t have the brewing capacity to make our favorite seasonal brew, the widely feared BrownShugga’ Ale. You see we had a couple of really good years (thank you very much) and so heading into this season while we are awaiting the January delivery of a new brewhouse we are jammin’ along brewing 80 barrels of IPA and PILS and such every 3 hours. A couple of months back we realized that since we can only brew a mere 60 barrels of Shugga’ every 5 hours, that we were seriously screwed. For every case of Shugga’ brewed, we’d short 3 cases of our favorite daily beers. It’s a drag. This year, we brewed something that we think is also cool and brews more like our daily brews. The new brewhouse will help insure this kind of failure never happens again. It’s a mess that we can not brew our BrownShugga’ this year and we suck for not doing it. There is nothing cool about screwing this up this badly and we know it. Maybe we can sue our own sorry selves. There is no joy in our hearts this holiday and the best we can hope for is a quick and merciful end. F*@& us. This totally blows. Whatever. We freaking munch moldy donkey butt and we just want it to be all over...
So this substitute beer is a ‘Cereal Medley’ of Barley, Rye, Wheat, and Oats…. Full of complexishness from the 4 grains, and weighing in at 7.85% abv, Then joyously dry-hopped for that big aroma and resinous hop flavor.

The brew:

Interesting take/variation of a winter IPA. The rye gives this a bit of mustiness, the wheat imparts a bit of orange taste and aroma and the oats lend their usual silkiness/smoothness to the mouth feel here. I tasted Ozzie's draft at Tyler's Taproom in Derm before the UNCG game and the aroma and tastes are mostly grapefruity but they are well balanced by the large amounts of grains that give this the IBU of 63 and the ABV of 7.85%. Not quite IIPA levels but in the range for you typical IPA. Generous, foamy head and the flavors paired well with my Buffalo chicken sammich though Oz did not like the brew quite as much as I did and he had a Newcastle as his second brew. My 10% ABV Brooklyn Companion was all I could handle.

The old, from 12/23/11:

Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale-Lagunitas Brewing

The story behind the brew:

This sad holiday season we didn’t have the brewing capacity to make our favorite seasonal brew, the widely feared BrownShugga’ Ale. You see we had a couple of really good years (thank you very much) and so heading into this season while we are awaiting the January delivery of a new brewhouse we are jammin’ along brewing 80 barrels of IPA and PILS and such every 3 hours. A couple of months back we realized that since we can only brew a mere 60 barrels of Shugga’ every 5 hours, that we were seriously screwed. For every case of Shugga’ brewed, we’d short 3 cases of our favorite daily beers. It’s a drag. This year, we brewed something that we think is also cool and brews more like our daily brews. The new brewhouse will help insure this kind of failure never happens again. It’s a mess that we can not brew our BrownShugga’ this year and we suck for not doing it. There is nothing cool about screwing this up this badly and we know it. Maybe we can sue our own sorry selves. There is no joy in our hearts this holiday and the best we can hope for is a quick and merciful end. F*@& us. This totally blows. Whatever. We freaking munch moldy donkey butt and we just want it to be all over...
So this substitute beer is a ‘Cereal Medley’ of Barley, Rye, Wheat, and Oats…. Full of complexishness from the 4 grains, and weighing in at 7.85% abv, Then joyously dry-hopped for that big aroma and resinous hop flavor.

The brew:

Interesting take/variation of a winter IPA. The rye gives this a bit of mustiness, the wheat imparts a bit of orange taste and aroma and the oats lend their usual silkiness/smoothness to the mouth feel here. I tasted Ozzie's draft at Tyler's Taproom in Derm before the UNCG game and the aroma and tastes are mostly grapefruity but they are well balanced by the large amounts of grains that give this the IBU of 63 and the ABV of 7.85%. Not quite IIPA levels but in the range for you typical IPA. Generous, foamy head and the flavors paired well with my Buffalo chicken sammich though Oz did not like the brew quite as much as I did and he had a Newcastle as his second brew. My 10% ABV Brooklyn Companion was all I could handle.

The new, from 9/20/15 and 9/21/15:

A 12 ounce trader from CB&B on Saturday that I couldn't resist trying again and comparing to Serum. Easy winner was Sucks (that just doesn't sound right). I thought this one was a bit different with little rye mustiness but the others scents and palate ticklers were about the same, perhaps with a bit more grapefruit juciness stimulating both senses. IBUs are actually 63.21 (yes, that's really on the label) and this one tasted more like an IIPA but the stats are still kinda, sorta in that IPA/IIPA border zone. Certainly one of my top 5-10 of the style, no matter which side of the IBU/ABV/IPA/IIPA boundary it falls.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 24th, 2015, 9:35 pm

Black Rye-Founders Brewing

Many thanks to dpslaw for this trader a couple games ago. I'd put this in the same gendre as Lagunitas Night Time and Maine Beer Company Weez, meaning, it's a black IPA. But this is a bit twisted with heavily roasted rye and wheat malts, so there's a bit of mustiness, a bit of citrus and a lot of milk chocolate and coffee, both in the aromas and on the palate. Think pumpernickel rye bread dipped in dark chocolate with a cup of espresso. Dark, dark brown appearance with a mocha head, lots of bitterness (78 IBUs) and some booze at 7.5 ABV, both very similar to the Maine and Lagunitas offerings mentioned above. I appreciate the high quality of the product and the desire to be different, but I think I liked Night Time and Weez just a bit better, but I'd certainly be willing to do a side-by-side if someone could assemble all 3 suspects at the same tailgate.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 25th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Bottle Mixx barrel-aged beer night on Thursday.

Five-4 ounce samples for $10

First up:

La Bonte w/figs (draft-aged in oak foeders)-Wicked Weed

Poured a cloudy orange-yellow with a small head, this sour ale is brewed with Brettanomyces yeast, Lactobacillus bacteria and figs and then in their oak vats for a month or three. The oak aging adds a bit of coconut and vanilla to the flavors and "softens" the sourness some as the plum version I had from mattman91 was a bit more sour I seem to recall. No bourbon or winey flavors here. Fig presence is pretty minimal. I'll guess IBUs about 20-30 and the ABV is 6.5% so it made a nice stater for the tasting.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 25th, 2015, 10:27 pm

#2:

Red Sky at Morning-Heavy Seas Brewing

Take their Red Sky at Night, add more grain, a different yeast and some Belgian candi sugar and age for a few months in chardonnay barrels and you get this light, golden-yellow saison with a small head and a whole array of vinous and floral scents and matching winey, peach, pear and apple fruitiness with a hint of white pepper on the palate. You might also think, "Is this really beer?" Minimal bitterness, guessing IBUs 20 and the ABV is 10% so it's more like an imperial saison. I think this would pair well with some fruity salsa on a light/creamy seafood entree or with some fruit and soft cheeses before or after dinner.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 27th, 2015, 7:36 pm

#3 from Thursday night:

Spooky (draft)-Blue Mountain Brewing

From their barrel house in Arrington, VA, this un-spiced (they make it very clear in their draft list), amber ale has a smallish head and a woody, pumpkin-y, whiskey-ish bouquet. Tastes are mild pumpkin with a moderate boozey finish. I'll guess IBUs about 20-30 and the ABV is listed at 8.3%, IIRC as I didnt' pilfer one of their tasting lists. I'd serve this with pumpkin/butternut squash soups or souffles, sweet potato dishes or any pumpkin-based desserts/pastries/breads. I wouldn't buy a $10-15 bomber of this but would gladly try/sample again.