Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » September 2nd, 2015, 9:15 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:115 double IPA's reviewed. Nice to actually see some readily available ones pretty high up on the list. (Such as DFH's 90 Minute)
DD reviewed at least one in the top 10, Lagunitas Sucks. (Which apparently, really doesn't!)

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... m.html?a=1
Here's a review of #3 from our trip to beer country, err wine country (Sonoma and Russian River Valleys) 2 years ago:

And to complete the 6er sampler, Cafe Racer 15 filled the last sample glass. Poured a golden-orange with little head, this DIPA had a ginormous blast of grapefruity Citra hops up front but a dry, boozey, almost Cointreau-like sweetness and finish. At 100+ IBU and 9.75% ABV, it made a perfect finish to the flight, though if we were eating dinner after the tastings at the brewpub, I'd have ordered a goblet of this for dessert, too.

Definitely a benefit and difference to go to the brewpub to see what is on draft and not often available for retail purchase.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 2nd, 2015, 10:09 pm

Grapefruit Sculpin-Ballast Point Brewing Company

I'd likely have never tried this beer if fuse hadn't posted this. So, when I visited Total Wine today and saw 6ers of this in cans and bottles and had my $1 off coupon, I hoisted a 6er of the cans (much lighter and smaller package than those long-necked, breakable bottles), into the cart and headed to the check-out, along with 3 other packages at a buck off each and planned an IPA night.

Poured a light gold with a foamy two-fingered head. Smells like freshly squeezed Florida grapefruit juice. Tastes started out like a typical Simcoe hops dominant IPA but with a distinct difference as the grapefruitiness, including zest/rind, pulp, tartness, ripeness and juiciness persisted through each mouthful. Excellent by itself but would pair well with tropical/Indian/Chinese entrees quite nicely. A bit spendy at $14 for the litter of 6 with my coupon but certainly worth the purchase of several to savor and/or trade.

One quibble with fuse (and I don't have many)-it's an IPA, not an IIPA as the ABV is 7% and the IBUs are 70 (I'd have thought a bit higher), so it teeters on the edge between IPA and IIPA, but still fits the bill and is labeled an IPA.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 2nd, 2015, 10:56 pm

Freak of Nature-Wicked Weed Brewing

I must admit, I had to have two 500 ml bottles of this over the last couple weeks (each divided over two nights), before I could decide where I'd rank this in my favorite IIPA list. I'd have to say top 5, maybe top 3, but there are still at least a couple I'd prefer over this outstanding DIPA. Why outstanding? Because of its complexity. Poured a slightly cloudy yellow-golden with a small head, the aromas were citrus and pine and the tastes were pineapple, mango, tangerine, resin and grapefruit. A highly hop-forward IIPA with IBUs probably 90-100 and a bit unbalanced but still with a bit of bready, caramely sweetness and an ABV of 8.5%. Sipped from my Alewerks snifter each time. I'd still rank Heady Topper, Hopslam and probably Pliney the Elder above this because they are smoother, more drinkable and a bit less costly but this is reasonably priced at $5.50 for the 16.9 ounce bottle fresh off the WW deliver truck in mid-August. Food pairings? To hell with that idea. Savor this by itself if you can find it on draft or poured into your special glass from the bottle.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 4th, 2015, 11:38 am

I will be at the PITT game on 11/14. I will bring BEER from local breweries....including CIGAR CITY and my personal favorite local micro - Three Daughters.

Let me know if there is a particular offering/type you would really like to try and I will endeavor to get hold of home.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 5th, 2015, 12:55 pm

From 9/24/10:

Saison du Buff-DFH

From the brewers' lips/fingers to your ears/eyes:

This beer is collaboration between Dogfish Head, Stone Brewing Co. (Escondido, CA), and Victory Brewing Company (Downington, PA).

The idea for this beer germinated way back in 2003 when the three guys (Sam from Dogfish, Greg from Stone and Bill from Victory) formed the BUFF alliance (Brewers United for Freedom of Flavor) - a noble endeavor with the goal to highlight the passion and camaraderie of the American craft brew movement.

So, BUFF didn't really do anything (beyond talk a lot of talk) until 2010 when the three brewers finally got together to jointly brew at beer at the Stone Brewery. Saison du BUFF will first be brewed at Stone and then replicated at each of the other two breweries - same recipe, same ingredients, three different breweries throughout 2010.

Plans call for Saison du BUFF to be a 6% alc/vol Saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This beer will be brewed three times, once at each brewery using the same recipe. The expected release dates for each brew are as follows:

Stone Brewing Co.- Late April 2010 (release date 5/3/2010, visit Stone Brewery for more information)

My thoughts:

Simon and Garfunkel. This is a saison style ale meaning it's a Belgian farmhouse type ale which is a bit funky, light, fruity (think apples and pears) and slightly cloudy, fizzy and light yellow. The Simon and Garfunkel reference is to the fact that this ale is brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme and has those earthy aromas and also a nose of fir. This is one of the most unique smelling brews I have ever imbibed and is a fabulous summer/fall beverage and would be marvelous with grilled chicken or grouper or light fish with just a hint of lemon or pepper for the marinade/basting. IBU are estimated to be small at about 20 and the ABV is 6.8%. $3/12 ounces at Total Wine and not available as a 4 pack or 6er. Definitely worth a sample.

From 9/3/15:

Saison du Buff-Victory Brewing

This seemed a bit less typical of a saison with less fruity and more grassy, spicy and herbal scents and tastes. Yellow-golden pour, modest fluffy head and very palate-pleasing and mild. Otherwise, it reminded me of the DFH version, tempered by memory deficits from 5 years ago. Costs must have come down as I think this was $8 or $9 for the litter of 4 with my buck off coupon at Total Wine last week. I'm not sure I ever saw the Stone version and Victory sure is late to the parade. Certainly worth purchasing a single or a 4 pack to sip and share/trade as a late summer ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 5th, 2015, 1:07 pm

windsor wrote:I will be at the PITT game on 11/14. I will bring BEER from local breweries....including CIGAR CITY and my personal favorite local micro - Three Daughters.

Let me know if there is a particular offering/type you would really like to try and I will endeavor to get hold of home.

^:)^ ^:)^

Bless you, bless you (and you didn't even sneeze :ymblushing: ). Assuming you are driving, I'll take anything you can purchase from Cigar City except any jalapeno/habanero beers or Jai Alai as I've had it before and would prefer to try ones I haven't sampled before, even though it's a very good IPA. That includes 6 packs of bottles or cans, or special/seasonal releases in 22 ounce bombers and/or 750 ml bottles. I'll trust you and/or your favorite specialty ale store/steward for the recommendations/selections. I'll have $$ with different dead presidents and/or statesmen on them :D .

Also available via PM B-) .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 5th, 2015, 1:30 pm

windsor wrote:I will be at the PITT game on 11/14. I will bring BEER from local breweries....including CIGAR CITY and my personal favorite local micro - Three Daughters.

WRT 3 Daughters, I had to do my research as I have no knowledge, primary, secondary or illicit, about any of their products. I'd prefer one of their seasonal ales but would again defer to your and/or your beer advisor's (beervisor's?) suggestions. Standard 12 ounce bottles/cans, bombers, 750 mls, crowlers (new type of packaging, generally 16 or 32 ounce cans that might be resealable) or growlers would be fine.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 5th, 2015, 3:43 pm

Another Florida brewery suggestion:

https://funkybuddhabrewery.com/about-us

For/from a friend, of course ;) :ymblushing: .
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » September 5th, 2015, 4:11 pm

You've been all over this idea, DD.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 5th, 2015, 5:57 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:You've been all over this idea, DD.
Hey, windsor started it so I'm just helping her with some packing suggestions for her trip :ymblushing: .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2015, 6:32 pm

Ginger Lemon Radler-Boulevard Brewing

If it weren't for this thread, I'd likely have never tried this.

What's a radler?

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Radler.html

Fullsteam Cack-A-Lacky meets lemon soda.

or

Canada Dry meets Simply Lemonade

Poured a hazy yellow with a slightly foamy head which disappeared fairly quickly. Smelled like fresh squeezed lemon,s and lots of them, in a glass of ginger ale. Tastes? No surprise here either with lemon soda infused with ginger. Very pleasant and effervescent. Even the faint of tongue/palate could drink this at 4.1% ABV and 12 IBU. I enjoyed this with a 1/4 rack of ribs, steamed broccoli and a corn and black bean salad with green and red peppers and chopped red onions.

Availability at a tailgate near you. Soon. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2015, 9:21 pm

King Basil-Fullsteam Brewing

The style:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/biere-de-garde/58/

If you look at their list, I think I've had a grand total of 0 of their top 50 ales.

Another viewpoint:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi%C3%A8re_de_Garde

At least they don't have a Top XX list so I can be embarrassed again.

The beer:

Poured from a pint can into a standard pint glass (with a wee bit left over so I could let it warm up a tad) with a small, foamy head. Very fragrant nose of herbs and spices, with the basil not over-powering. Mildly earthy and herbal tastes, again with basil being in the forefront but not in an obnoxious manner. There are some saison characteristics of pears and apples and also some pale ale features of lightly toasted wheat bread and a bit of caramel sweetness. Very "soft" drinking at 28 IBUs and more potent than expected at 8% ABV. Sooooooo, if it's the French "equivalent" of a strong pale ale, does that make it a session IIPA or, in the Belgian line/style of brewing, an imperial saison? I've never had their Summer Basil and that would make an interesting tasting comparison, I think. I like fuse's idea of pairing this with Italian foods but I'd also consider a pint of this with a pork roast, an herbal chicken entree or a rack or lamb.

Available for sharing/trading at a tailgate soon near you. ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 8th, 2015, 9:58 pm

Night Time (Fear the Dark)-Lagunitas Brewing

Reminds me of this. A lot.

Weez-Maine Beer Company

No relation to our esteemed poster. This is another somewhat unusual example of an unusual style of beer, a black IPA. Poured a dark, dark coffee color with a generous, foamy, light tan head. Complex assortment of aromas including dark chocolate, tropical and citrus fruits and a bit of espresso. Tastes were just as varied. My best comparison would probably be a mixture of dark chocolate covered coffee beans and milk chocolate covered candied or jellied grapefruit and orange slices. Strange, interesting and very flavorful. Malts listed: Maris Otter, American 2-Row, Munich, C-80, Chocolate, Flaked Wheat, Black Barley, Midnight Wheat. Hops: Warrior, Cascade, Citra, Simcoe. So, after you examine those lists, the scents and palatal delights make a whole lot more sense. They state on the bottle that the same hops are used in Another One, a standard IPA. but it's a different malt bill for Weez, so a much darker, different flavored IPA. I'd guess IBUs around 60-70 range with the ABV stated at 7.2%. I don't think this was on draft when I visited the brewery and tasting room last month so I had to "settle" for the 500 ml bottle divided over two nights last week. Fuse got the 2nd bottle so I'll be curious to read his musings when he consumes his.

Black IIPA? Imperial porter meets IPA?

Fascinating brew. Poured a dark espresso color with a generous, foamy tan head that lasted to the bottom of the glass. Nose of slightly burned coffee, dark chocolate and roasted figs. Tastes were similar with grapefruit juice, pulp and zest. I'm really thinking jellied/candied grapefruit wedges, covered in dark chocolate dipped in ground Jamaican coffee beans. IBUs of 74 and ABV of 7.9% so it's treading on that IPA/IIPA borderline. Forget a food pairing with this unless you want a hard, stinky cheese or some chile/jalapeno rubbed ribs right off the grill with it. I think this was about $10 for the 6er with my buck off Total Wine coupon.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 9th, 2015, 10:07 pm

The Ogden-Goose Island Beer Company

The history:

"William Ogden opened Chicago’s first brewery. He was the city’s first mayor. And he added the North Brand channel to the Chicago River that created the island from which we take our name. Three good reasons why we gave our first-ever Belgian Style Tripel his name. We dry hopped The Ogden with American Citra® and Brewer’s Gold hops to add spicy, tropical flavors. Then we fermented it with a unique Belgian yeast to give it a bold, complex palate."

The beer:

Poured a light, golden straw color with a moderate, lacy head, the aromas are typical Belgian tripel with banana, a bit of clove with a few flowers. Tastes are even better, some matching the aromas and also with the additional palate-teasers of some lemon, a splash of orange, a pinch of white pepper and some juicyfruit gum. I'd venture they added a bit of light Belgian candi sugar, too, as it's a bit sweet. Bottle also lists Saaz hops which help keep it a bit more authentic. Very easy sipping at 38 IBUs and dangerously quaffable, even at 9% ABV. I think this was $8 or $9 for the 4 pack with my buck off Total Wine coupon and I'm fortunate because the bottled on date is 3/17/14 and they state their beers are good for 180 days after the bottle date and I found no staleness/spoiled/oxidized issues with this 12 ounce bottle. I had this with a plate of red grapes and it would be good with some soft cheeses or a fruit tart/compote/cobbler.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 12th, 2015, 7:47 am

Pumpkin Down-Ballast Point Brewing

This is their Piper Down Scottish Ale with a truckload of pumpkin and spices added, making it makes a very interesting combination. Poured a dark amber with a small head, the first aromas are light smokiness, toasted wheat bread, baked pumpkin and a melange of spices, all making for a pleasant start. Tastes are fairly typical Scottish ale with some peat, moderate amounts of dark brown sugar sweetness with a home-baked pumpkin pie finish with no Cool Whip or vanilla ice cream.
Accents are on the grains with UK Maris Otter malts, roasted barley and UK hops yielding a low, smooth IBU rating of 22 and a highly sessionable ABV of 5.8%, which is why and how I enjoyed it with a freshly grilled cheeseburger and large garden salad for dinner tonight. It'd pair nicely with other grilled beef/pork fare or with squash/pumpkin soups, stews, pumpkin bread/muffins or a slice of pumpkin or pecan pie. I'd still prefer a Pumking or Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin or Punkin but this was a very nice twist on the pumpkin theme.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 12th, 2015, 7:59 am

Hardcore Chimera-Finch's Beer Company

Another entry into a crowded field that falls just a bit short of a top tier. Poured from a pint can into a standard pint glass with a bit left over to top off after a couple sips. Color was golden-yellow with a bit of a chill haze. Citrus upfront upon pouring that changed to a bit of sticky resin on tasting, accompanied by tangerine, pine, a little grapefruit and some pineapple. Modestly bitter at 80 IBUs but reasonably balanced at 9% ABV with hints of bready, caramel sweetness. It'd stand up well to spicy dishes. I think it was about $9 for the 4 pack of cans with my buck off Total Wine coupon. I'd rather drink Heady Topper (d'oh), Hop Slam, Hoptimum, 90 Minute or Hop, Drop and Roll but this was a good IIPA, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 12th, 2015, 11:00 pm

BTTT!

Raleigh/Cary/Holly Springs/Apex had Beericana today. We had our own tasting. The cast, in order of appearance:

Imperial Brown Ale (2014)-CameronBornAndBred Home Brewing

Drink local!

Yep, making a re-appearance from the floor of his SUV from last FB season was this mildly foamy pour that was a medium brown and had all the features of a typical brown ale, only stronger. Nutty and mildly herbal aromas with almond-y, brown-sugary, woody and boozy tastes. He recalls 13% ABV but I didn't think he ever brewed anything that strong and I thought about 10%. IBUs? Who cares? I'll guess 30. A nice starter (Are you kidding me? A lead-off hitter at 10%+ ABV?) that paired well with last year's (frozen/re-thawed and reheated) 'cue, spicy baked beans and slaw.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 12th, 2015, 11:04 pm

devildeac wrote:Deliria-Brouwerij Huyghe

Worth re-posting/PW'ing

A limited edition brewed once a year for International Women's Day by women, this heavy blonde ale (I did "borrow" this last phrase from ratebeer and still can't believe they described it this way) probably is best described as a hybrid between a Belgian strong/golden ale and a Belgian IPA/IIPA. Poured from a painted, ceramic 750 ml caged and corked bottle, it was a pale straw color with a typical foamy, fizzy, lacy Belgian ale head that lingered to the bottom of my 250 ml Allagash tulip (twice as a matter of fact). Nose was a bit of straw and bouquet of garden flowers with tastes of light Belgian candi sugar, Granny Smith apples, pears and Pinot Grigio. Imagine what a dry-ish beer champagne might taste like. There's a pinch of white pepper in the finish from the Belgian yeasts. It's not quite as delicate as DeuS but reminds me a bit of that ale. Bitterness is on the low end, guessing 20 IBUs. It's deceptively easy sipping at 8.5% ABV. I think the other Delirium series ales are better but I'm quite glad to have found this for about $8 at World Market a few weeks ago at their 20% off large format beer sale. It'd pair nicely with some warm brie and a fruit or nut compote topping.
2nd beer of the show?!?! Oh, my...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2015, 7:39 am

Resin-Sixpoint Brewing

A huge hoist of the pint glass to CameronBornAndBred for hauling this to tailgate yesterday after his trip to DC/MD last week. I'd about guarantee that this never would have found its way into my shopping cart, even if it was available in the Triangle area. Are you kidding me? A(nother) brewery in Brooklyn? (Well, I did select a 4 pack of Sorachi Ace yesterday with a buck off coupon at Total Wine.) Poured from a svelte 12 ounce can into my 2010 National Championship pint glass (I got a 3 ounce sample I believe as we were sharing the above and subsequent ales among 4-5 of us.), it arrived as a dark gold color with a creamy head. Immediate scent of grapefruit juice and zest that was quickly followed by piney and resin-y (duh!) smell. Citrus, stickiness, oil, pine and a bit of pineapple, tangerine and light caramel-y tastes, too. Quite the pucker at 103 IBUs (no typo!) but very well-balanced and potent at 9.1% ABV. Good pairing with our 'cue, slaw and German potato salad and it'd stand up to spicy fare, also. No question that I'd get a litter of these if I could find one and others agree as it garnered a 91 on beeradvocate and 98 on ratebeer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2015, 6:20 pm

Choklat Oranj-Southern Tier Brewing

Southern Tier Choklat or Creme Brulee meets Cointreau or Grand Marnier

Orange-chocolate liqueur

Jellied orange candies dipped (and dipped and then dipped again) in semi-sweet chocolate fondue

Do I sense a trend here?

Poured from a bomber into our individual tasting glasses (mine's still a 2010 Duke National Championship pint glass) as a midnight black elixir with a small head. Dark chocolate nose with orange peel. Tastes are decadent and as described/compared above. Mouthfeel is smooth and oily with a slightly burned cocoa flavor and a shade of bitterness (I'll guess IBUs around 50 based on the imperial stout style) from the orange peel added in the brewing process. A bit of an alcohol burn from the 10% ABV but not boozey. Another decadent, liquid dessert that was outstanding alone but you could use part of your bomber for a beer float or just pour several ounces over a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream instead of a sundae sauce. I'd never come close to drinking even half a bomber of this so I'm happy we shared this 5 ways. Thanks to dpslaw for this concoction.