Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 5th, 2009, 5:41 pm

cl15876 wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:Iced tea in Boston? Variable and always iffy.
That reminds me of a funny story. So we were in Guildford, England a few weeks ago. About 10 of us from the NCSU MBA program went out to an Indian restaurant for dinner. One of the ladies (who was a lifelong North Cackalackian) says to the Indian owner/manager "Do you have any sweet tea?.... I mean, sweetened iced tea?" And he stares at her for a moment and says, "No ma'am, we only have normal tea."

I nearly lost it.
LOL - I was in the Huntingdon area a handful of years ago and wanted some sweet iced tea and when I asked the folks at the Marriott if they could send some iced tea to my room, they looked at me like I was an alien! Why on earth would anyone drink ice cold tea vice a HOT CUP! I had to explain to them how to make it, duh L-), and when they still couldn't get over the shock, it occurred to me that I had all the tools in my room, HOT POT, TEA BAGS, and sugar! #-o No need to further waste my time, thank you very much and if all of y'all would like to try it, please stop by the room! :))

I'll leave my funny Germany story for another thread and another time, but it is kin to Captmojo's video link!!!! :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: =)) =)) =)) =))
You don't have to go to Germany to have a good ice tea story.

In 1976 I went to work for a company based out of North Wales, PA (I was in their Winston Salem sales office). They sent me up to HQ for 7 weeks of training, and I roomed with another new hire from the Knoxville, TN office. For lunch one day, our group went to a local restaurant. It was late October. Jim ordered iced tea and the waitress said "I'm sorry sir, but it is out of season". Jim's jaw dropped in disbelief! You see, they made their iced tea from a mix and didn't offer it in the fall. Being the Duke engineer that I am, I asked the waitress "Do you have hot tea?" "Yes." "Do you have any ice?" When she said yes to the second question, I told her "he would like some iced tea please!" The idea of making it fresh never occurred to her (or the restaurant). =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 5:49 pm

All the Texans I know who drink iced tea (and in my experience, it's a pretty popular drink there, though perhaps less so than here in Jawja) take it unsweetened. I always thought that was weird.
Incidentally, what do y'all think...does Texas count as part of "the South"?
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » August 5th, 2009, 6:09 pm

wilson wrote:All the Texans I know who drink iced tea (and in my experience, it's a pretty popular drink there, though perhaps less so than here in Jawja) take it unsweetened. I always thought that was weird.
Incidentally, what do y'all think...does Texas count as part of "the South"?
No offense to any Texan's out there, but I don't consider them a part of the south, I consider them Texans! :D
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 6:15 pm

cl15876 wrote: No offense to any Texan's out there, but I don't consider them a part of the south, I consider them Texans! :D
For the most part, I'd say that so do they. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of Texans are prouder of Texas than they are of the United States.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 5th, 2009, 6:18 pm

wilson wrote:
cl15876 wrote: No offense to any Texan's out there, but I don't consider them a part of the south, I consider them Texans! :D
For the most part, I'd say that so do they. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of Texans are prouder of Texas than they are of the United States.
Having lived there for three years as a ute and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, my opinion has always been that the fact that they were a separate country for a year or so never really wore off on them. So, yes, I'd say that most of them ARE Texans before Americans.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 6:22 pm

bjornolf wrote: Having lived there for three years as a ute and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, my opinion has always been that the fact that they were a separate country for a year or so never really wore off on them. So, yes, I'd say that most of them ARE Texans before Americans.

%%-
I've loved all the time I've spent in Texas, too (at least four separate trips), but I do think Texans take the place just a little bit too seriously.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » August 5th, 2009, 6:42 pm

And the less said about Dallas Cryboy fans the better... I bet if you drew a Venn diagram of Cryboy and Tarhole fans who reside outside the states of NC and TX, they would overlap almost exactly. Bunch of front-running wannabe posers...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 6:45 pm

Turk wrote:And the less said about Dallas Cryboy fans the better... I bet if you drew a Venn diagram of Cryboy and Tarhole fans who reside outside the states of NC and TX, they would overlap almost exactly. Bunch of front-running wannabe posers...
There are one or two more teams I'd add to that list, but I'm trying to be nice to BD & Ozzie. ;)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 7:05 pm

wilson wrote: There are one or two more teams I'd add to that list, but I'm trying to be nice to BD & Ozzie. ;)
*Disclaimer: I am in no way implying that BD and Ozzie are themselves bandwagon fans, just that their respective teams' legions include many such fans.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 7:05 pm

Moving sucks.
Turk

Post by Turk » August 5th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Moving does suck - haven't done it for 15 years and don't plan to do it ever again (voluntarily). Good luck and Godspeed.
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » August 5th, 2009, 7:15 pm

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote: There are one or two more teams I'd add to that list, but I'm trying to be nice to BD & Ozzie. ;)
*Disclaimer: I am in no way implying that BD and Ozzie are themselves bandwagon fans, just that their respective teams' legions include many such fans.
Clarification noted, and thanks.

Now, to be obnoxious, the nice thing about being a Red Sox fan is that, they are, of course, front runners most of the time. Game on this weekend Ozzie, the Yanks only have to take 8 in a row to tie the series this year. :D

I have never worn a pink Red Sox hat although I did buy one of my kids a 'camo' Red Sox lunch box, it's the one he wanted and I figure when you're 7 it doesn't matter so much.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 7:32 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
Now, to be obnoxious, the nice thing about being a Red Sox fan is that, they are, of course, front runners most of the time.
To be obnoxious back, this is yet another affliction of sox and yankees fans. For the past seven years or so, the above is admittedly true for the sox. But after the epic meltdown of '86, they won a grand total of two playoff games in 17 years, and before '86, they had made the playoffs only twice in the previous 40 seasons, and three times in the previous 67 seasons. That doesn't qualify as perennial frontrunning to me...yet another reason that "red sox nation" is so loathsome.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » August 5th, 2009, 7:48 pm

wilson wrote:Moving sucks.
Amen.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Sue71 wrote:
Amen.
Well, my room's just about done. I'm just waiting on one last load of laundry (I've washed nearly every article of clothing I own this week). Then, there's just one more box to pack, and the only thing remaining in my room will be to load furniture, which isn't happening until Friday anyway. I may or may not take a load of boxes to Mom's tonight (probably should; it's gonna take probably three trips), and then after that, all that remains is to do my study (should only take about an hour) and the kitchen (a bit longer, but still not bad) before physically emptying the joint at the end of the week.
Progress...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 5th, 2009, 8:29 pm

I'm enjoying every second of my move on this side of it!

But I agree with you that the past 18 months--no, make that past 22 months--have been my personal hell on earth.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 5th, 2009, 8:31 pm

wilson wrote:
Sue71 wrote:
Amen.
Well, my room's just about done. I'm just waiting on one last load of laundry (I've washed nearly every article of clothing I own this week). Then, there's just one more box to pack, and the only thing remaining in my room will be to load furniture, which isn't happening until Friday anyway. I may or may not take a load of boxes to Mom's tonight (probably should; it's gonna take probably three trips), and then after that, all that remains is to do my study (should only take about an hour) and the kitchen (a bit longer, but still not bad) before physically emptying the joint at the end of the week.
Progress...
Say hi to your mom from the Beach Babes!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 8:34 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Say hi to your mom from the Beach Babes!
Headed over there now. Will do (though I still don't know quite how she feels about the fact that I have internet friends :-B ). Will also grab the few stray PBRs I brought home from Charleston and left over there. ;)
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 5th, 2009, 9:02 pm

wilson wrote:Headed over there now. Will do (though I still don't know quite how she feels about the fact that I have internet friends :-B ). Will also grab the few stray PBRs I brought home from Charleston and left over there. ;)
Mary Chapin Carpenter...
Last edited by YmoBeThere on August 5th, 2009, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 5th, 2009, 9:05 pm

I Am A Town by Mary Chapin Carpenter

I'm a town in Carolina, I'm a detour on a ride
For aphone call and a soda, I'm a blur from the driver's side
I'm the last gas for an hour if you're going twenty-five
I am Texaco and tobacco, I am dust you leave behind

I am peaches in September, and corn from a roadside stall
I'm the language of the natives, I'm a cadence and a drawl
I'm the pines behind the graveyard, and the cool beneath their shade, where the boys have left their beer cans
I am weeds between the graves.

My porches sag and lean with old black men and children
Their sleep is filled with dreams, I never can fulfill them
I am a town.

I am a church beside the highway where the ditches never drain
I'm a Baptist like my daddy, and Jesus knows my name
I am memory and stillness, I am lonely in old age; I am not your destination
I am clinging to my ways
I am a town.

I'm a town in Carolina, I am billboards in the fields
I'm an old truck up on cinder blocks, missing all my wheels
I am Pabst Blue Ribbon, American, and "Southern Serves the South"