Marinade
2 Tbsp peanut oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 cup Ponzu sauce
1/2 cup Mirin
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch knob of ginger, peeled and minced

1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp oil (peanut, canola, olive or your favorite)

8 oz Wahoo fillet
8 oz Salmon fillet

Mix the marinade together. Pour over fish in Ziploc bags and marinate for 30 minutes.

Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil and butter. Remove fish from marinade and pat with paper towels to remove some of the marinade (to reduce the splattering from the hot oil). Put the fish in the hot pan skin side down first. Cook 3-5 minutes, depending on thickness. Turn and cook 3-5 minutes more or until done.

-------

Now the piece of Wahoo I had was very very thick and the above cooking method wasn't perfect for it. If you have one that's thinner than 3/4 inch, it should work. Mine was probably 1.25 inches. I thought I'd cook it hot for a bit and get a nice sear on it, but then bring the temp low to cook it slow. It was getting too brown on the outside so I decided that I'd be better off finishing it in the oven. I'm actually thinking next time I get a piece of wahoo that big I'll do an even quicker sear in the pan and do most of the cooking in the oven. The outside of the Wahoo got a bit tough from too much heat before the inside was even finished cooking.
-- DukeUsul
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by Miles » August 16th, 2010, 8:23 am

DukeUsul wrote:Pan-fried Asian-marinated Wahoo and Salmon

Marinade
2 Tbsp peanut oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 cup Ponzu sauce
1/2 cup Mirin
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch knob of ginger, peeled and minced

1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp oil (peanut, canola, olive or your favorite)

8 oz Wahoo fillet
8 oz Salmon fillet

Mix the marinade together. Pour over fish in Ziploc bags and marinate for 30 minutes.

Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil and butter. Remove fish from marinade and pat with paper towels to remove some of the marinade (to reduce the splattering from the hot oil). Put the fish in the hot pan skin side down first. Cook 3-5 minutes, depending on thickness. Turn and cook 3-5 minutes more or until done.

-------

Now the piece of Wahoo I had was very very thick and the above cooking method wasn't perfect for it. If you have one that's thinner than 3/4 inch, it should work. Mine was probably 1.25 inches. I thought I'd cook it hot for a bit and get a nice sear on it, but then bring the temp low to cook it slow. It was getting too brown on the outside so I decided that I'd be better off finishing it in the oven. I'm actually thinking next time I get a piece of wahoo that big I'll do an even quicker sear in the pan and do most of the cooking in the oven. The outside of the Wahoo got a bit tough from too much heat before the inside was even finished cooking.
Mmmmmm ponzu. =p~
sMiles
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 16th, 2010, 12:21 pm

What's ponzu?
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 16th, 2010, 12:26 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:What's ponzu?
Love, Ima
It's a seasoned soy sauce containing citrus juice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzu

Having now read that link, I see that straight Ponzu is a citrus sauce and that Ponzu Shoyu is where the Ponzu is mixed with soy sauce. I was definitely using a ponzu shoyu.

This is what I was using:
http://www.amazon.com/Ponzu-Soy-Sauce-1 ... B002HFXIXM
-- DukeUsul
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 17th, 2010, 3:53 pm

Must try. Thanks.
Love, Ima
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 20th, 2010, 5:36 pm

The apple thread got me thinking about Waldorf salad..I haven't had it in so long, but it's damn good stuff. Here's a recipe I found online. http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/waldorfsalad.htm
This is a great apple Waldorf salad recipe. Perfect for dessert, potlucks or even a light lunch.

•3 or 4 apples, unpeeled, cut from the core, and chopped into bite size pieces (about 3 cups)
•1 tablespoon lemon juice
•1/3 cup raisins
•2/3 cup chopped celery
•1/3 cup walnuts (optional)
•1/3 cup mayonnaise
•1 tablespoon sugar
Don’t bother peeling the apples unless their skins are really unattractive. Cut up 3 or 4 of them, until you get about 2-1/2 or 3 cups of chopped apples. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the apples. The acid in the lemon juice prevents the apples from turning brown. The raisins will taste best if you plump them first. Do this by measuring them into a cereal bowl and adding enough warm tap water to cover them completely. Allow them to sit for a few minutes, absorbing the water, and softening up. Drain them very well when you need them. I actually squeeze them to make sure they are very dry. Chop up the celery, it should take about 2 stalks or so. I add black walnuts because I get them for free, but you can use regular walnuts or omit them completely if you don’t have any handy. Mix everything together in a medium sized bowl with the mayonnaise and sugar, coating all of the ingredients with the mayonnaise. It is now ready to serve, or you can chill it overnight and serve it tomorrow instead. This is so crunchy and chewy, it is perfect contrast for a meal which is soft, or easy to chew. This recipe serves 6.
I might have to whip one up and bring to a fall brunchgate...mmmmmmm.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 20th, 2010, 6:21 pm

Waldorf Salad.

YUM!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 20th, 2010, 9:28 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:The apple thread got me thinking about Waldorf salad..I haven't had it in so long, but it's damn good stuff. Here's a recipe I found online. http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/waldorfsalad.htm
This is a great apple Waldorf salad recipe. Perfect for dessert, potlucks or even a light lunch.

•3 or 4 apples, unpeeled, cut from the core, and chopped into bite size pieces (about 3 cups)
•1 tablespoon lemon juice
•1/3 cup raisins
•2/3 cup chopped celery
•1/3 cup walnuts (optional)
•1/3 cup mayonnaise
•1 tablespoon sugar
Don’t bother peeling the apples unless their skins are really unattractive. Cut up 3 or 4 of them, until you get about 2-1/2 or 3 cups of chopped apples. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the apples. The acid in the lemon juice prevents the apples from turning brown. The raisins will taste best if you plump them first. Do this by measuring them into a cereal bowl and adding enough warm tap water to cover them completely. Allow them to sit for a few minutes, absorbing the water, and softening up. Drain them very well when you need them. I actually squeeze them to make sure they are very dry. Chop up the celery, it should take about 2 stalks or so. I add black walnuts because I get them for free, but you can use regular walnuts or omit them completely if you don’t have any handy. Mix everything together in a medium sized bowl with the mayonnaise and sugar, coating all of the ingredients with the mayonnaise. It is now ready to serve, or you can chill it overnight and serve it tomorrow instead. This is so crunchy and chewy, it is perfect contrast for a meal which is soft, or easy to chew. This recipe serves 6.
I might have to whip one up and bring to a fall brunchgate...mmmmmmm.
Use the right apples and the sugar won't be needed at all. I like to use regular raisins and golden raisins for different colors and tastes. Some add a little chicken to make an entree salad or maybe use a yogurt dressing instead of mayonnaise. Sliced grapes, white, red or black seedless make a great addition. Substitute orange juice for the lemon juice for a pleasant variation. A little orange zest sprinkled over the Waldorf salad is attractive and tasty.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 20th, 2010, 10:12 pm

Gotta have some little marshmallows in there, too, and I like red grapes (cut in half)instead of the raisins.
Love, Ima
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 21st, 2010, 7:24 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Gotta have some little marshmallows in there, too, and I like red grapes (cut in half)instead of the raisins.
Love, Ima
Yet again, I agree with Ima. We must be related or something. ;)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 21st, 2010, 3:10 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Gotta have some little marshmallows in there, too, and I like red grapes (cut in half)instead of the raisins.
Love, Ima
Yet again, I agree with Ima. We must be related or something. ;)
I'm beginning to think so, too! :dance:
Love, Ima
bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebutton » August 24th, 2010, 2:12 pm

Just made these corn fritters from a nytimes recipefor lunch today -- excellent!
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/ ... n-fritters

Ingredients
For the dipping sauce:
1/3 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
1/3 cup Bango or other kecap manis (sweet soy sauce, available at Asian markets)
For the fritters:
4 ears of corn, kernels cut from cob, or one 15.25 ounce can of corn, drained
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon red bell pepper, julienned into pieces 1/2 inch long, and 1/8 inch wide
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons rice flour
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
Salt
Vegetable oil
Method
1. For the sauce: In a small bowl, combine sweet chili sauce and kecap manis. Mix and set aside.
2. For the fritters: In a large bowl, combine half the corn kernels, garlic, red bell pepper, nutmeg, ground pepper and egg. Mix well. Place in blender and process at medium speed until pureed. (Variations: For a smooth fritter, add all the corn to the blender; for a very crunchy fritter, reserve all of the corn for step no. 3.)
3. Transfer back to bowl; add corn starch, rice flour, shallot and reserved whole corn kernels. Mix well, and season with salt to taste.
4. In a wok or a deep frying pan over high heat, add vegetable oil to a depth of 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Heat to 350 degrees. Working in batches, scoop up corn mixture 1 tablespoon at a time, and add to hot oil; be careful not to crowd pan. Fry until golden brown, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes a side; fresh corn may take slightly longer to brown than canned. Drain and place on paper towels. Serve with dipping sauce.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 24th, 2010, 2:14 pm

bluebutton wrote:Just made these corn fritters from a nytimes recipefor lunch today -- excellent!
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/ ... n-fritters

Ingredients
For the dipping sauce:
1/3 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
1/3 cup Bango or other kecap manis (sweet soy sauce, available at Asian markets)
For the fritters:
4 ears of corn, kernels cut from cob, or one 15.25 ounce can of corn, drained
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon red bell pepper, julienned into pieces 1/2 inch long, and 1/8 inch wide
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons rice flour
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
Salt
Vegetable oil
Method
1. For the sauce: In a small bowl, combine sweet chili sauce and kecap manis. Mix and set aside.
2. For the fritters: In a large bowl, combine half the corn kernels, garlic, red bell pepper, nutmeg, ground pepper and egg. Mix well. Place in blender and process at medium speed until pureed. (Variations: For a smooth fritter, add all the corn to the blender; for a very crunchy fritter, reserve all of the corn for step no. 3.)
3. Transfer back to bowl; add corn starch, rice flour, shallot and reserved whole corn kernels. Mix well, and season with salt to taste.
4. In a wok or a deep frying pan over high heat, add vegetable oil to a depth of 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Heat to 350 degrees. Working in batches, scoop up corn mixture 1 tablespoon at a time, and add to hot oil; be careful not to crowd pan. Fry until golden brown, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes a side; fresh corn may take slightly longer to brown than canned. Drain and place on paper towels. Serve with dipping sauce.
=p~ =p~ =p~

Man, this looks yummy, and well worth another trip around the weightroom at the gym!

Thanks for posting!
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 24th, 2010, 5:20 pm

CathyCA wrote:Waldorf Salad.

YUM!
Waldorf Salad would be great at a Brunchgate. Just sayin' :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 24th, 2010, 7:55 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

YUM!
Duly noted.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 24th, 2010, 10:00 pm

CathyCA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

YUM!
Duly noted.
Wait just a minute there. You said brownies or CCC. [-( ( ;) )
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 24th, 2010, 10:19 pm

devildeac wrote: Wait just a minute there. You said brownies or CCC. [-( ( ;) )
We're having more than one Brunchgate.

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 24th, 2010, 10:21 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Just checking. :D =p~
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 24th, 2010, 10:23 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
I'll bring it to the Brunchgate following the Elon game. Who is our opponent for that game? :think:

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 24th, 2010, 10:29 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote: We're having more than one Brunchgate.
I'll bring it to the Brunchgate following the Elon game. Who is our opponent for that game? :think:
Gonna have to think about that for a bit...
;)