Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » December 25th, 2014, 9:03 pm

From December 8, 2013:

Three Philosophers (2012 edition)-Ommegang Brewing

A Belgian style quadruple ale (98%) blended with a cherry lambic (2%) makes a delicious combination for a celebratory brew. I enjoyed 1/2 a 12 ounce bottle of this with my son Saturday night as a pre-dinner beverage. It was a rather cold but, with a bit of warming, the dark, fruity flavors of dates and figs blended exquisitely with the bing cherry flavors of the lambic. There are also notes of dark brown sugar and rum which add to the enjoyment of this excellent ale. The pour was a deep ruby brown with a small head. I'd guess the IBU to be 20-30 with little hop presence and the ABV is a hefty 9.8%. This would also be a fine after dinner or dessert brew and could be served alone or with a plate of dark dried fruits or even with chocolate, making your dessert even more decadent. I have a 750 ml bottle I'll save for a year and celebrate again .

It's now a year and a half later and that 750 ml bottle was shared with my son, daughter and son-in-law last PM, a bit less of a celebration than I thought or hoped it might be as we were losing 14-0 at the time, but a celebration of the event, nonetheless.

I don't think this changed that much with another 18 months of aging except perhaps becoming a bit smoother and was every bit as enjoyable as any other time I have purchased it. Ommegang has a Christmas package now with this, Hennepin and Chocolate Indulgence along with an Ommegang chalice/tulip that you can purchase for your favorite beer lover, even if it's yourself. Cost is about $25 which I think is very reasonable as the Three Philosophers is generally about $9-10, as is the Chocolate Indulgence, which may only be available in this 3 bottle/glass package. I think the Hennepin is about $6-7, so that makes the specialty glass essentially free.

From tonight (aka, "It's next year and I'm celebrating again."):

Once again, fine ales are better when sipped with family and/or friends. I think this was even a bit smoother tonight after another year of aging and sharing of course with my younger daughter and her husband. There was a bit of sediment in the pour but it didn't detract from its rich Belgian quad/brown ale/kriek lambic flavors. Our son loses out on this one as he's in Ohio with his wife and family but will return on Sunday to share a couple others "from the cellar."
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 28th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Grand Illumination (2014)-Alewerks Brewing

Named after the traditional synchronized fireworks extravaganza in triplicate on the first Sunday in December every year at Colonial Williamsburg, this barleywine changes every year "depending on what mood we're in" with its composition as "whatever strikes our fancy" makes for a rather interesting tasting and trying to figure out what the heck the ingredients might be. Poured an orange-brown with a modest, light tan, foamy head, I divided over two nights with the second night being shared with my younger daughter and her husband. Aromas were table syrup, brown sugar, earthy hops and some orange. The first flavor to strike me was orange liqueur, followed by raisins, medium brown sugar, syrup and mild, herbal bitterness. I'll estimate 30-40 IBUs which were somewhat understated compared to the ABV of 10%. Best served a bit below room temperature from a snifter by itself or with a slice of fruitcake or pee-can pie. I treated myself to another bottle of this packaged with the 2013 version for a vertical tasting and the box included an Alewerks goblet, too, so I can give myself a Christmas gift next year.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2015, 1:12 am

Vera Mae-Hill Farmstead Brewery

I'm not sure I can do any better than fuse but I'll add a few slightly different thoughts. Five family members shared a bottle before our Thanksgiving feast today. Served at garage temperature, estimated at 55 degrees. Our pour was slightly cloudy with a moderately fizzy head. Nose was mildly floral and tasting thoughts varied from a bit of pepper from the farmhouse yeast to a hints of sourness and citrus from the Vermont spelt. I'd agree with fuse on the origin of the barely perceptible bitterness as being from the dandelions, though unspecified American hops are on the label. There are no other grains listed so I'll assume it's all spelt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt) and no barley or oats, basically making this a wheat saison. Sweetness from the honey was negligible. I've got one remaining 750 ml bottle of this and can't decide whether it's so unusual to share, thinking another round of tasting partners wouldn't find it appealing and appetizing, or to savor myself and see if I can decipher any more thoughts and flavors.

I decided to share my second bottle four ways last PM and very happy to do so as it's much more fun/enjoyable to hear other thoughts. My younger son-in-law and I both liked Florence, the other Hill Farmstead 750 ml bottle I procured this summer, and it was probably the slight bitterness from the dandelions that tipped the scale. Our son and daughter found it light and very enjoyable, especially as a starter beer for the tasting.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2015, 8:12 am

Valar Morghulis-Ommegang Brewing

I saw the cases of this rolling out of the brewery this summer and unsuccessfully tried to talk our tour guide into the opportunity for tasting an early release but, alas, no success. They didn't even had it tapped at the tasting room or restaurant yet. So, I finally ferreted out the last bottle of World Market's supply last week at a 20% discount and shared it with son, daughter and youngest son-in-law on Tuesday night. I was probably the fondest of the brew but still came away a bit disappointed as this is one of my favorite ale styles. Poured a ruby-chestnut with a medium-sized, creamy head. Earthy and herbal aromas were the olfactory sensations with very similar gustatory ones following. There was a taste and aftertaste that were a bit difficult to identify as the only adjunct listed was dark candi sugar along with "our carefully crafted mixture of specialty malts." Hops listed were Apollo, Hallertau and Spalt, the last 2 being in the Noble category, and this is where the unusual tastes may have originated. It still have some typical feature of the Belgian dubbel style, including some toffee, dark fruits and caramel but just not what I would have expected from the style listed on the label. I'd prefer their original brewing, Ommegang (now Abbey Ale), over this release, even though Abbey has 5 spicy and fruity additives. Worth a 750 bottle to share/sample, especially for a bit over $7, but not one I'd re-visit.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2015, 1:32 pm

Crème Brûlée-Southern Tier Brewing Company

Liquid dessert. Decadence in a glass. This was a 12-18 month old imperial milk stout bomber divided 4 ways after Vera Mae left and Valar Morghulis died. Probably served a bit too cold as all the aromas and flavors became even more delectable as we sipped our 5-6 ounce portions over 15-30 minutes. Poured midnight black with little discernible head, the scents were semi-sweet chocolate morsels generously infused with vanilla extract and the silky smooth, almost oily mouthfeel rewarded the palate with equally delightful tastes of the same with perhaps a drop or two of espresso. Two hops are "mentioned" in the STBC description with estimated IBUs of 20-30, but they play little role here among the 4 malts and lactose sugar that impart almost overwhelming sweetness and an ABV of 9.6%. I'm not sure I could even drink half a bomber in a sitting unless dessert time lasted for an hour or more but sharing 22 ounces with several family members was a great way to sample this as a stand alone or perhaps (dangerously) with even more chocolate in the form of truffles, fudge or cakes or with a cinnamon/caramel cake or even Bananas Foster dessert.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2015, 10:36 am

Over the Edge-The Unknown Brewing Company

I had seen products from this Charlotte brewery before but never purchased any as I had read no reviews anywhere, but when my older son-in-law offered a 12 ounce can of this IPA on New Year's Eve, I was happy to oblige. The pour into a pint glass was a yellow-orange with a somewhat thick, creamy head. Attractive aromas of citrus zest and juices accompanied by mild sweetness. Tastes were grapefruit zest and juice up front followed by a bit of an oily, piney finish. Good balance with the grains imparting hints of toffee and light brown sugar. I'll guess IBUs of 60 with the ABV stated at 6.9%. If he has any left from their party, I'd certainly trade for another can or two. Solid entry into a crowded market.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2015, 10:52 am

Harvest Time-Big Boss Brewing

Wedding reception beer from a local brewery. The other choices were something Guinness, Lagunitas IPA and something undrinkable. Any speculation what my second beer was.

I guess one could consider this a month or two late but it still made a nice beer for cocktail hour before dinner. I think the base is an amber ale with the appropriate appearance and a 1-2 finger, foamy head. Pleasant bouquet of fall/winter spices with a bit of pumpkin, too. The pumpkin was a bit more prominent upon sipping and the spices were not overwhelming. The combination made me think of pumpkin bread with a slightly nutty bite. Very mild hop presence, guessing IBUs around 20. ABV was 5.5% so a nice session beer with assorted cheeses, crackers and fresh fruit. From their website: "Goes great with: zombie rituals, vampire hunting, walks in a graveyard... after midnight." Amusing. Not one I'd seek out next fall but a good product.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2015, 1:49 pm

IPA-Lagunitas Brewing

Went through the archives and don't think I've ever had this beer, despite it being their original seasonal starting in 1995. Poured a golden-yellow with a generous, creamy head into a pint glass with all the expected west coast IPA aromas and tastes of citrus, some tropical fruits, pine, resin and some balancing from bready, caramel sweetness. IBUs not listed anywhere (somewhat surprisingly as these folks almost always put it on their label, usually with 1 or 2 decimal places) but I'd estimate 60. ABV is 6.2% so a sessionable IPA that'd pair with some hard, pungent cheeses and artisanal breads and crackers as appetizers like last PM or with spicy entrees.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » January 3rd, 2015, 9:13 pm

I had 4 beers in December. 3 Dos Equis, 1 Negra Modelo.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 4th, 2015, 9:30 pm

Farmhouse Pumpkin-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Another trader from October, or was it November from duketaylor. This one was a 750 ml capped bottle and represents a fascinating twist on the pumpkin theme. I divided the bottle over two nights with about 375 ml last PM at about 60 degrees and the remainder tonight at about 45 degrees that I'm allowing to warm to near room temperature. It's a Wallonian farmhouse ale (think saison) made with a truckload of Grandma's Virginia sugar pumpkins, brown sugar and damn near every spice under the sun from all over the globe including Ceylon cinnamon, Grenada nutmeg, Madagascar clove, allspice from an unspecified location and freshly sliced ginger root, likely from the same Virginia source as their Gingerbread Stout. The grain bill includes rye, wheat and barley with IBUs of 21. Aroma is freshly baked and moderately spiced pumpkin pie. Tastes are a melting pot of the spices with a bit of citrus/orange from the wheat and very slight mustiness from the rye. The pour was a light amber with a modest head. This easily qualifies as dessert but you could also convince me to sample this with a bowl of squash soup before a meal or a slice of plain (or lemon or vanilla) pound cake drizzled with a bit of caramel sauce after a meal. ABV rolls in at 8.5% putting this in the imperial pumpkin category. Thanks duketaylor!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 8th, 2015, 7:57 pm

5/2/14 review:

XS Russian Imperial Stout 2009-Rogue Brewing

Probably the darkest beer I've ever had at 258 Lovibond. Some of the Southern Tier stouts approach this but I don't think any are this black. Also, likely the most bitter RIS I've ever had at 88 IBUs, but the oats make this rather smooth and silky on the palate. This was a 7 ounce nip or pony I divided over two nights and sipped at near room temperature. I bought this at Total Wine in early 2012 for $3 because it was "on sale" and I refused to pay $5 for a little bottle o' beer. I also refused to pay about $18 for the ceramic swing-top 750 ml bottle, too. Very complex aromas with coffee, dark chocolate, molasses and dark fruits. Tastes of the same with a bit of licorice which is actually used in the brewing process but is not as prominent as in the Uinta Labyrinth. I had my first tastes of the Rogue XS series probably 15 years ago when my Dad and I toured and tasted a few of their early attempts at their brewery in Newport, Oregon. along with a bowl of chowder and a fish sammich. The nips were about $1.60 each back then and I must have bought a dozen or more assorted samples of Old Crustacean, an IIPA and McRogue Scotch Ale and smuggled them back to NC in ski socks, boots and gloves. Ahh, those were the days and this little bottle brought back some very pleasant memories.

1/2/15 review:

Call me strange (you won't be the first), but I didn't like this quite as much 8 months later. My last 7 ounce nip had "2 secret ingredients" included and I'd have guessed licorice and been correct for one of them. The other would have been molasses and I'd have been wrong, assuming rolled oats was the other as currently listed on their web site as it appears they have returned to the vastly overpriced 750 ml swing top bottle. I thought the licorice was a bit too forward after some more aging and it wasn't as pleasant a brew. It also had a 1/4" layer of silt on the bottom, most of which I managed to avoid as I decanted the final 3.5 ounces on the second night of sipping this last week. Otherwise, appearance and tastes were fairly similar. So, the $3 for the little bottle was certainly worth it but not a beer I'd re-visit, though I am looking forward to sampling their Marionberry Braggot sometime this spring.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2015, 10:50 am

Box of 4 Bastards bought last PM. $22.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 15th, 2015, 11:34 am

devildeac wrote:Box of 4 Bastards bought last PM. $22.
Hell, that's nothing. I've got bastards all afternoon in court, and the Commonwealth is paying me for it. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2015, 2:02 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
devildeac wrote:Box of 4 Bastards bought last PM. $22.
Hell, that's nothing. I've got bastards all afternoon in court, and the Commonwealth is paying me for it. :9f:

=)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2015, 10:04 pm

#NoHoldsies Uno-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Drink local!

According to the owner and beertender at Bottle Revolution last PM, this brewery has been open about 2 months. I think this is their "standard" Belgian-style rye tripel which they then aged in chardonnay (?) barrels for several months and released as both kegged and 500 ml bottled products. I sipped a pint of this last night with ricks68 and his lovely bride for <$6 which was quite reasonable for the quality and quantity, especially considering the 500 ml was ~$8-9. Pour was a cloudy yellow-orange with a generous foamy head and aromas of mustiness, black pepper and citrus, most notably orange. Tastes were pretty standard for the style with perhaps hints of banana and clove. The chardonnay barrel-aging lends some oakiness and obvious dry, vinous notes. I'll estimate IBUs of 20 and the ABV was stated at 8.2%, both in step with the style. Deuce is aged in red wine barrels and, the last of the "series," the name of which I can't remember, is a bourbon barrel aged tripel.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2015, 10:15 pm

Dirty Little Freak-DuClaw Brewing

Small sample=short review. Poured as a 2 ounce sample at Bottle Revolution before my Haw River #NoHoldsiesUno last PM, this is labeled as a coconut caramel chocolate brown ale. There's no chocolate listed except as one of the grains, nor is there any caramel listed as an additive or one of the malts, but, it is coconut-infused and you get hints of slightly burned coconut at the finish of a smooth, nutty, caramely-y, chocolate-y dark brown ale. IBUs at 30 from Columbus and Fuggles hops with ABV at 5.8% from Pale, CaraMunich, Chocolate, and Melanoiden Malts. Certainly worth a 12 ounce bottle or a pint at your favorite specialty shop.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 17th, 2015, 8:56 am

Ninjabreadman Porter-Asheville Brewing Company

Many thanks to ricks68 for procuring and delivering this Wednesday after we dined.

Fuse pretty much nails it above. I would quibble about the tongue-numbing and would more describe it as tingling. I got a fresher bottle dated 12/17/14. I had to research the ABV and found secondary sources that listed it at 5.8% which is about what I'd expect for a porter. I'll estimate the IBUs around 30. I'm guessing NC law requires bottle labeling if the ABV is >6% since the Pop the Cap campaign almost a decade ago that got the ABV law in NC changed from 6% to 15% for beer. There were subtle notes of coffee and mild chocolate in the nose and on the taste buds but the two stars here are the vanilla and the gingerbread tastes which are very well done and not overpowering. I'll definitely place an order for a bomber or three of this next winter.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 18th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Bourbon Barrel Porter-Alewerks Brewing

I'm a bit surprised there's no clever name for this brew from this Colonial Williamsburg area brewery. Smelled and tasted like one of these with a coffee bean in the middle and without the pee-can on top:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kentucky-bourbon-balls/

It's an imperial porter brewed with unrefined Caribbean sugar and aged for a couple months in Virginia bourbon barrels. Poured almost as dark as a stout but a bit thinner. All the expected porter flavors of coffee, chocolate and dark caramel were present along with modest bourbon throughout. Bitterness is the heavily roasted pale, crystal and chocolate malts and really not much from hops, guessing IBUs of 30. ABV is a warming 9% so I split this slightly chilled bomber over a couple nights. This was bought just over a month ago at the brewery and would certainly purchase again. Might even have a twin lurking in my storage area for any interested trading parties.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 18th, 2015, 10:06 pm

Love Ninja-Asheville Brewing Company

Take ABC's World Beer Cup award-winning Ninja Porter (which I must admit I've never tasted), add a squirt of raspberry juice and a couple tablespoons of fresh brewed coffee and you have your Valentine beer. Ricks68 delivered this last week as we dined the day after he attended the Miami MBB game. Poured a dark brown with ruby highlights into a pint glass and formed a medium-sized foamy head that fairly quickly disappeared. Nose was coffee and mild chocolate and palate-pleasing tastes encompassed the same with some dark caramel and a slight, pleasant raspberry finish. Snooped out the IBUs (not listed) at 27, about as expected, with the ABV discovered to be 5.25%, also not listed. The bomber, which I'll be sipping over two nights, has no dating but it's a new release (heck, mattman didn't even know it had hit the retail market) and can't be more than a week or two old. Fuse might even find pleasure in my extra Love Ninja.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 22nd, 2015, 10:13 pm

Skillet Donut Stout-Burial Beer Company

Dark fudge coffee. Or maybe coffee infused dark chocolate fudge. I divided this 750 ml capped bottle that ricks68 kindly delivered last week over the last couple nights. Poured a slightly thin, almost black hue with a huge coffee nose from the 50/50 blend of cold pressed Hologram and Big Trouble coffees from Counter Culture Coffee (as stated on Burial's website). Bottle says 9 malts, website says 6-row Pale malt, along with Nugget hops, oats, milk sugar (lactose), molasses, and surprisingly, no chocolate. But this sure tastes like semi-sweet dark chocolate morsels with a handful of raisins. I think they serve this at the brewery with a chocolate donut hole. It'd also be delicious with any other chocolate or caramel dessert or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Liquid dessert also works. Comparable to Founder's Breakfast Stout but not quite in the same league as their KBS, but you never know what a few months of bourbon barrel aging might do to this ale. IBUs stated as 60 and ABV at 8% and served at about 50-55 degrees as suggested on the bottle. They claim this will be canned in early 2015 so I can imagine the demand for this may be rather high.