Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: What's for dinner?

Post by lawgrad91 » September 14th, 2010, 1:26 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:One of the things I loved about Japan was the "hole-in-the-wall" restaraunts that are in abundance. And I also loved how they had their dishes displayed..they were plasticized versions of the real thing. So all you had to do was point at one of them to order.
I am now recalling discussions on another thread when we criticize American food photographers for staging food. ;)

Not every restaurant has these here... in fact, many of those hole-in-the-wall places do NOT have those things. And those things would still not warn me that the fried-banana like object is really some sort of battered-fried rubberish seafood.

OMG... maybe I was eating part of the plasticized version of the real thing?! :)) =)) =)) :))
I'm going to guess that your fried-banana like object was sea cucumber. Many moons ago, a plastic spring roll was put out on the buffet table at a cocktail party in Tokyo. Someone took a bite before they realized it was plastic. They figured it out quickly and left the rest on the table. You would know if you ate the plastic food.
:ymsick:

Somehow this discussion makes my Hebrew National fat-free hot dog lunch seem that much more palatable.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 14th, 2010, 1:29 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:I'm going to guess that your fried-banana like object was sea cucumber. Many moons ago, a plastic spring roll was put out on the buffet table at a cocktail party in Tokyo. Someone took a bite before they realized it was plastic. They figured it out quickly and left the rest on the table. You would know if you ate the plastic food.
You mean, I just tried fast food sea cucumber?! :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 14th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Lavabe wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:I'm going to guess that your fried-banana like object was sea cucumber. Many moons ago, a plastic spring roll was put out on the buffet table at a cocktail party in Tokyo. Someone took a bite before they realized it was plastic. They figured it out quickly and left the rest on the table. You would know if you ate the plastic food.
Is that anything like a fried pickle?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 14th, 2010, 2:17 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
I don't know - I don't eat pickles. I generally determined that it was best not to question what you were eating. Sometimes knowledge is NOT a good thing. I remember a meal in Taipei where they served tongue. It came to the table whole - not sliced. I passed on trying it. I also had a hard time with shark's fin soup after I read Jaws. I had no trouble with it prior to that.
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 14th, 2010, 3:39 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
NO!! Fried pickle has taste.

It's like semi-cooked plastic, minus any taste.

And no, dipping it in wasabi won't make it taste any better.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » September 15th, 2010, 12:09 am

CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Here's what they look like in their natural surroundings:

http://www.giantstridephotography.com/S ... XPrH-M.jpg

If you hold a starfish/sea star up to a sea cucumber, the cucumber will run away. No, really, it wriggles and "gallups" pretty darned fast. It's rather amusing (if somewhat cruel to the sea cucumber.)
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 15th, 2010, 2:21 pm

EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW. He's an ugly little bugger, bless his heart.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 16th, 2010, 8:45 am

Lavabe wrote:A wrapped yellow cold something with the consistency of stuffed derma,
Turns out this is codfish roe.

MUST bring to Brunchgate! :ymsick: b-( b-(
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 16th, 2010, 8:48 am

Dinner tonight:
Peanuts.
Banana.
Yogurt.
Fuji apple.
Bread.
Water.

Hey... judging from the plastic models that show the food inside the restaurant, this sure beats the stuff in the restaurants.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 16th, 2010, 9:04 am

Lavabe wrote:Dinner tonight:
Peanuts.
Banana.
Yogurt.
Fuji apple.
Bread.
Water.

Hey... judging from the plastic models that show the food inside the restaurant, this sure beats the stuff in the restaurants.
In comparison to what you've mentioned before, this sounds like a good spread! At least everything is recognizable.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 16th, 2010, 6:33 pm

By the way, each apple cost $1.25 and the banana cost $1.15... IN THE SUPERMARKET.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 16th, 2010, 6:34 pm

Beef and black bean chili. Corn bread.
-- DukeUsul
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 16th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Pork loin. Brown rice. Some sort of green veggie, probably microwaved Green Giant something-or-other.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2010, 8:13 pm

Baby back ribs. I want my babybackbabybackbabyback....
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 16th, 2010, 8:39 pm

I ate solid food! Scrambled eggs and bacon. The bacon hurt, but it was so yummy!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 16th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Homemade chicken salad (with celery, grapes and walnuts) in a pita. Salad. Tabbouli (sp?). Diet Sunkist.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » September 16th, 2010, 11:11 pm

"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 24th, 2010, 10:00 am

I'm taking the wife out on a date tonight for her birthday. We're going to Ruth's Chris. It's her favorite restaurant. She knows we're going out, but not where, and she thinks we're taking the kids, so she'll NEVER guess RC. :D We're meeting my dad at the Bertucci's halfway to Ruth's Chris, where we're swapping cars and handing off the kids. ALSO what she doesn't know is that the kids are staying with PopPop for the night! I hope she's pleasantly surprised. :D

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 24th, 2010, 10:07 am

bjornolf wrote:I'm taking the wife out on a date tonight for her birthday. We're going to Ruth's Chris. It's her favorite restaurant. She knows we're going out, but not where, and she thinks we're taking the kids, so she'll NEVER guess RC. :D We're meeting my dad at the Bertucci's halfway to Ruth's Chris, where we're swapping cars and handing off the kids. ALSO what she doesn't know is that the kids are staying with PopPop for the night! I hope she's pleasantly surprised. :D

@};-
That is a great plan! I'm sure your wife will be thrilled!

Happy Birthday to Mrs. Bjornolf!
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 24th, 2010, 10:14 am

bjornolf wrote:I'm taking the wife out on a date tonight for her birthday. We're going to Ruth's Chris. It's her favorite restaurant. She knows we're going out, but not where, and she thinks we're taking the kids, so she'll NEVER guess RC. :D We're meeting my dad at the Bertucci's halfway to Ruth's Chris, where we're swapping cars and handing off the kids. ALSO what she doesn't know is that the kids are staying with PopPop for the night! I hope she's pleasantly surprised. :D

@};-
What a nice, thoughtful plan! I hope Mrs. Bjornolf enjoys her birthday celebration. Happy Birthday to her!

~ James Naismith