Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » July 18th, 2014, 5:43 pm

From May 9, 2013:
devildeac wrote:Big Operator (draft tasting)-Big Boss Brewing

Drink local (sort of-it's a Raleigh brewery and I'm in Asheville)!

I actually had a two ounce taster of this last PM as my after dinner beer. A liquid mild chocolate-covered, slightly underripe raspberry. A couple sources list this as a black ale but the menu described it as a Belgian dark ale and I'd agree with this classification. Dark brown appearance with a small head, the aroma was dark, dried fruits, chocolate and rum and the raspberry taste was pretty subtle and near the finish. Think Belgian dubble/brown ale here so the IBU are pretty low, guessing 20-30 with an ABV of 8.6% so the standard pour would be 10-12 ounces. The sample was free but a full serving would have been $5 which is pretty reasonable for a complex high ABV brew.

Found a label and a picture of a bottle on line so they must have released this in limited quantities in bombers and kegs.

From 3 hours ago:

Today, it was a 4 ounce sample from the brewery and was bit surprised to find it in the middle of July but the beertender said they keep a few kegs "cellared" and bring them out occasionally after aging a bit so I'll guess this was the winter 2013/spring 2014 version. My thoughts were pretty much the same. ABV was listed at 8% and no IBUs were on their board but I'd guess on the low end as above. This bordered on luscious and would pair well with any chocolate dessert or stand proud on its own as a liquid dessert.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 19th, 2014, 7:18 am

Inferno Ale-The Lost Abbey (contract brewed by Port Brewing Company in San Marcos, California)

Recommended to my daughter and son-in-law by a beer shop steward in Lafayette, CA as they shopped for Russian River brews for me last month. This is a Belgian style golden/triple ale and was packaged in a 12.7 ounce caged and corked bottle and shared with her last evening, along with Redemption reviewed above. Poured a hazy, golden-orange with an immense amount of Belgian lace which coated our dainty little 4 ounce glasses for several minutes before we could sip. Aromas of apples, pears and bananas with an immediate perception of black pepper upon tasting with the sweet, fruity notes following. This may be the only beer I've ever had that could be described as "yeast-forward" as those tastes are so prominent. I'd guess IBUs 20-30 and the ABV is a deceptive and seductive 9%. Duvel is still the benchmark for the style as the yeastiness of this brew makes it just a bit difficult to like at first but the last 2-3 ounces were more enjoyable than the first couple. Definitely worth a try if you can find it, suspecting it may only be available on the west coast.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 20th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Palate Wrecker-Green Flash Brewing

I thought I had tasted one of these several years ago but can't find a review anywhere so it musta not happened. For duketaylor from the brewer:

"Weighing in at six pounds of hops per barrel, Palate Wrecker® stands up to the hoppiest heavyweight in the ring. A complex double-brewing process of mashing and sparging with hopped wort and special hop layering are the techniques used during a hop crisis define this champion. An abundance of Centennial, Columbus and Simcoe hops challenge and stun hop heads with an aggressive hop-forward attack. Your palate will recover, but you will remember that last round forever." (WTH is sparging?)

WARNING: This is a hop monster. 100+ IBU with an ABV of 9.5% make for a somewhat bitter but surprisingly balanced DIPA. I didn't think this one had much grapefruit aroma or taste, especially considering the Simcoe hops. I thought it was potent with pine and resin and perhaps a bit of cannabis with very little citrus taste and/or aroma. Poured a slightly cloudy orange-yellow with a moderate foamy head, this would make a fine beverage to share during a spicy/hot Szechuan or curry meal. This was a single 12 ouncer procured for $3.50 as part of my birthday gift from last month. If you are indeed a hophead, this one's for you. Otherwise, it's worth a single or draft purchase but not one I'd add to my regular rotation.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 20th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Road Warrior-Green Flash Brewing

For duketaylor:

"Our Imperial Rye IPA is brewed in the name of our Road Warriors—the sales team who tirelessly hit the streets, traveling from town to town and pub to pub sharing the Green Flash experience. Road Warrior™ charges full flavor forward. Columbus and Mosaic hops, rich crystal and spicy rye malts pave the way for Mosaic and Amarillo dry-hopping to boldly shine through in the finish. Raise a glass to those who never settle!"

My musings:

Surprisingly, this was an amber pour with a foamy, light cream-colored head. Aromas of orange peel, papaya, mango and pine with tastes of toasted rye bread, dark cherries and dark caramel. I generally am not a big fan of rye but I found this fascinating and flavorful and more complex as it warmed a bit during my 30 minute sipping of the 12 ounce portion from a pint glass. Rather hoppy at 80 IBUs but nicely balanced with 9% ABV. I generally would prefer a red wine with a brisket or steak but this might make a very nice combination. Worth another 12 ounce bottle (purchased as part of a mixed 6er with some birthday cash I received last month) but not sure I'd spend $3.50 for it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2014, 8:53 am

Cuvée des Jacobins Rouge-Brouwerij Bockor

This was the first brew of a Belgian-inspired evening from 3 of the ales our son gave me as part of my 60 ounces for 60 years. We shared them on Tuesday night. Labeled as a Flemish sour ale, this poured a brilliant ruby-brown with a small head. Immediate aromas of dark cherries, rum and brown sugar gave way to tastes of the same along with candy-like tastes of Sour Patch kids or Warheads. The finish was vanilla and woody from its 18 months of barrel aging. I'll guess IBUs of about 30 and ABV of 5.5% made this a fabulous starter beer or one to sip with a fruit plate before or after dinner. From their website:

"Cuvée des Jacobins Rouge is a Flemish Sour Ale, red in color with a beguiling balance of malty sweetness and acidic sharpness. It is made from spontaneously fermented and barrel-aged beer of at least 18 months in age. The beer is cooled overnight in a large, shallow metal vessel called a coolship and then fermented and aged in large oak foudres which are made in France and assembled on-site at Bockor."

I love that word: foudres

http://www.omervanderghinste.be/site...%20(Small).jpg
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2014, 8:53 am

Mooi & Meedogenloos (bottled 2/13/2012)- Brouwerij De Molen

This Belgian dark/strong ale was the 2nd in our tasting session Tuesday evening and another unique find by our son for part of my 60th birthday gift. Poured from a 330 ml bottle, this was a dark brown hue with scents of dark rum and dark, dried fruits. Tastes matched perfectly with some dark brown sugar sweetness, too. Think of this as an imperial Belgian dubbel/brown ale as the ABV was 10.2% with an EBU (European Bitterness Units) of 78, which I find rather high as this ale had only mild to moderate sensations of bitterness. This was an outstanding after dinner beverage by itself but would also accompany caramel, cinnamon or chocolate desserts well, too.

http://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/i...eer_126216.jpg
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2014, 8:54 am

Just discovered this:

Mooi & Meedogenloos is Dutch for Beautiful & Ruthless.

Not sure what it is in Swahili.

Guess you'd have to go to (hell) class to learn that.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2014, 8:54 am

Espresso Stout-Bierbrouwerij Emelisse

Stats/vitals:

Algemeen
Ingrediënten Water, Gerstemout, Hop, Gist, Koffie
Technische gegevens
Alcoholpercentage 9,5%
EBU 75
EBC 117
Plato 22
Hopsoorten Nugget, Cascade

Sorry, no Swahili translation. What I found interesting was the use of Nugget and Cascade hops, which I think of as typically US varieties, but, figuring the Europeans have been brewing for centuries, We just mighta stolen them from overseas.

Poured a dark, dark brown with little head, this beer resembled its moniker with strong coffee aromas and tastes. Comprised of 90% Arabica and 10% Robusta beans, the tastes requested a splash of cream and sugar. This was also a 330 ml bottle shared with our son. It's an imperial stout with the
EBU and ABV stated above. There was a bit of "chunkiness" near the end so the last 15 ml was decanted very slowly and carefully so there was a bit of a residue in the glass and bottle after the tasting. Not a summer beer and not one I'd seek out again but very nice for a nightcap. This would make a nice pairing with a molten chocolate cake or torte.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2014, 6:22 pm

Backcountry Black IPA-Deep River Brewing (Clayton, NC)

This was a 16 ounce can and was part of a mixed 6er I assembled a couple weeks ago to showcase some local brews for my wife's cousin who visited from Atlanta. After tasting a pale ale and IPA, she decided she really didn't like higher IBUs so much so I stored this tall boy back in the 'fridge without opening and saved it for myself.

Poured a moderately foamy, very dark brown with a variety of scents and flavors. They claim 5 unique malts so I thought the usual citrus and pine for aromas accompanied by some chocolate, grapefruit, resin and even a bit of licorice for tastes. I'll estimate IBUs about 60-70 and the ABV is 7.9%. The website labels this an imperial pale ale and the stats match but I'll be honest, I'm not sure why this couldn't be called a black India pale ale instead. This would be a nice friend to share several ways at a tailgate with some smoked brisket, ribs or cajun burgers.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2014, 6:23 pm

House of Clay-Raleigh Brewing Company

Very nice write-up of this rye IPA from the brewers, including stats, description, naming of the brew and history of the style:

http://raleighbrewingcompany.com/wp-...ouseofClay.pdf

My musings:

Bomber divided over two nights as another beer thought to be too harsh for my wife's cousin's taste buds. Poured a hazy orange-amber with a moderate light tan head. Pretty much all you'd expect from the style with some mango and papaya, a bit of caramel with the rye imparting the usual mustiness. The use of cane sugar in an IPA is an interesting twist, too. IBUs of 68 and ABV at 7.2% usher this properly into the category. The rye makes the tastes a bit unusual but would be another good beverage to share with friends at a grilling session in the fall at Devils' Alley.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2014, 6:23 pm

I'll see your Allagash saison and raise you one pint of Hi Yo, Saison from Sub Noir Brewing (http://subnoir.net/), Raleigh’s Boutique Brewery & Imbibery.

This joint is honestly a block off a rail line headed to downtown Raleigh from north Raleigh and located in a line of shops in a renovated warehouse basically. We stopped by to see if they were open on our way from a wedding at a Catholic church in Dunn, NC to the reception at another Catholic church a couple miles from center city. Why these folks got married 45 miles away from their respective homes and the reception is a mystery to me.

This sub-nano brewery is a seating area for about 20 with a small counter, two taps and a brewing area not much bigger than our kitchen. A very nice beermaid attends to the pouring and two kinda large, friendly fellows take care of the brewing in two half-barrel fermenters/tuns. This draft was served in a sexy Sub Noir goblet with a small, fizzy head and had aromas of lemon grass, straw, unbaked bread and unripe apples and pears. Tastes were yeast, more unripe pears and apples and a hint of lemon/citrus and black pepper. I'd estimate IBUs about 30 and the ABV was 6%, both in the park for the style. I can see why OPK might not like a saison as the tastes are a bit unusual, but fairly refreshing. Cost: $3 for the goblet o' beer, bringing my July tab to $138, which should be the finally tally as I just might make it to the end of the month with the supply I have on hand.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Eccentrica-Sub Noir Brewing

Well, it was only a two ounce sample but would have been worth another pint at $4 on any other occasion. This was a ginger-flavored Belgian tripel style ale. Poured a cloudy, golden color with a smallish head (tough to tell with such a small sample) and a very ginger-forward flavor but not overwhelming. Some light brown sugar from the Belgian candi sugar added and a bit of banana, clove and pepper. Dangerously drinkable low IBU (maybe 20-30), high ABV brew (9.7%).

They have about a half dozen small old bourbon barrels and one apple brandy cask that they are going to start using for some of their sours. Should be very interesting. They brew in such small batches that I suspect they'd be hard to locate outside of the Triangle area.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Not sure Bob Green reads this thread but this one's for you, sir:

http://www.greenflashbrew.com/virginia-beach/

They brew mostly hop-forward ales so I'm not sure Bob's tender palate and these hop monsters will get along very well but I'd bet he'll try their tasting room
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor
"I now own and possess a 1 bbl brewing system. Should I show up at a Duke fball game with a keg o' beer, do not be surprised. I now need to work on a mobile kegerator, but that's not such a big issue. "If I brew it, you will come," my new motto, or something like that Is there electricity supplied near Devil's Alley? If not, that should be one of the many upgrades to Duke sports-and very soon!! Cut would agree, I'm sure!

Seriously, I need to buy a few kegs and a kegging system next. Have a location nearby (my house) selected to start my test-kitchen; very amenable rent and plenty of traffic. Could be my first brewpub before the main brewery.

Run for cover!!"

My response:

TNTDevil, one of our chefs, routinely brings a generator. Perhaps you can bring a growler or three.
Last edited by devildeac on July 27th, 2014, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Green Bullet-Green Flash Brewing

My next to last bottle from my birthday sampler 6er last month. Interesting, though a bit over the top hop monster. From the brewers:

"With the aim of finding new and unique ingredients, we honed in on New Zealand grown Pacific Gem and Green Bullet hops to create this adventurous Triple IPA. Green Bullet leaps onto your palate with bold, spicy pine and citrus flavors including tropical notes of mango and pineapple. The aggressive yet well-balanced finish will stun the senses of even the most skilled hop hunter."

My taste buds told me similar thoughts with more resin than tropical fruits. They've achieved a reasonable balance with the IBUs of 100+ and ABV of 10.1% but this one is still a bit difficult to handle. Poured a cloudy yellow-orange with a frothy head, this is labeled a triple IPA or TIPA or IIIPA, I guess. As I write about most beers in this genre, it would pair well with spicy/hot Indian or Chinese foods.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2014, 9:55 pm

Rain Check-Sierra Nevada Brewing, Mills River, NC (no typo!)

Their web site says they have been trying to keep up with demand for their Pale Ale and Torpedo Ale at their recently opened location so I guess this is technically their first new brew from their new facility 10 miles south of Asheville. Labeled a spiced stout, it really is an imperial stout which poured an opaque, onyx hue with a foamy, mocha head. Brewed with ginger and lime, both fairly non-traditional ingredients for this style, the ginger was easily scented and tasted and the lime finished each sip with a slightly astringent quality. Faint hints of coffee appear early, too. I'd guess IBUs about 50 with the ABV stated at 8.9%. Worth a single at about $2.50 to sip/share/sample but not one I'd buy a 4 pack of, nor could I think of a good food pairing. Definitely a fall/winter brew but this one finally finishes my birthday 6er from last month, not the Green Bullet reviewed above.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 28th, 2014, 9:44 pm

An explanation:

"In recognition of the 25th anniversary of this milestone year, North Coast Brewing and two other west coast members of the pioneering “Class of ’88,”—Rogue Ales and Deschutes Brewery—have collaborated on a trio of commemorative beers evolving from Fred’s style guidelines.

Each of the breweries has created its own distinctive interpretation of a barleywine. Brewers traveled to each other’s locations and teamed up to brew all three ales. Their common heritage, joint efforts and inherent camaraderie resulted in a cohesive set that allows beer aficionados to enjoy three examples of the style."

I thought this was pretty cool-another collabeeration.

This poured a clear bronze with a 2 fingered, foamy head. Notes of medium brown sugar, toasted breads and resin to start and a bit of syrup, tobacco and booze for the finish. Quite smooth for a 9-12 month old barleywine, much like Old Knucklehead, Old Foghorn and Old Boardhead and totally opposite to the roughness of Bigfoot. Deceptively and dangerously sippable. I'll finish the other half of the caged and corked 750 ml bottle I bought at the Liquor Barn in Lexington, KY last fall, tomorrow night and may report back. If this sounds intriguing, I have a second bottle...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 29th, 2014, 11:05 am

Turk wrote:Another layover in CLT. Beer stand in Gate D. Mediocre beer, airport BBQ, One word: Meh.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/natty-gree ... pa/119434/

I firmly believe the environment in which the beer is consumed matters almost as much as the beer itself. If I had the exact same meal on the back porch of a CTN colleague for example, I have no doubt my evaluation would be much more positive and descriptive. On the plus side, I am no longer hungry and thirsty, and the plane is about to board.

I will have to get me some Natty Greene when the Turk clan makes our annual migration to Holden Beach in August to test this hypothesis. in setting up the experiment, I'm thinkng of pairing it with some Kraft mac-n-cheese (a favorite of the young Turks).
Any beer consumed at Holden Beach is spectacular beer.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 29th, 2014, 11:08 am

devildeac wrote:Baby Maker-Triple C Brewing (Charlotte)

Bomber trader from fuse a couple months ago that I divided over the last couple nights. Poured a surprising cloudy, amber color with pine and resin scents with tastes of the same with hints of mango and caramel. Foamy head which lingered. Statistically "balanced" DIPA with IBUs of 80 and ABV of 8.5% but not that balanced on the palate as I thought this a bit rough. I suspect this would be a bit smoother on draft and would probably pair well with spicy/hot foods or some ribs. Not one I'd re-visit or seek out. I've got a bomber of Triumphant, the NoDa triple that I'm probably going to enjoy tomorrow/this weekend that I am highy anticipating after I had it on draft at Brewgaloo in Raleigh a couple months ago.
I love the name of this beer.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 29th, 2014, 6:22 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:Baby Maker-Triple C Brewing (Charlotte)

Bomber trader from fuse a couple months ago that I divided over the last couple nights. Poured a surprising cloudy, amber color with pine and resin scents with tastes of the same with hints of mango and caramel. Foamy head which lingered. Statistically "balanced" DIPA with IBUs of 80 and ABV of 8.5% but not that balanced on the palate as I thought this a bit rough. I suspect this would be a bit smoother on draft and would probably pair well with spicy/hot foods or some ribs. Not one I'd re-visit or seek out. I've got a bomber of Triumphant, the NoDa triple that I'm probably going to enjoy tomorrow/this weekend that I am highy anticipating after I had it on draft at Brewgaloo in Raleigh a couple months ago.
I love the name of this beer.

Better than Cereal Killer (if you remember that from 2010)?