LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » July 5th, 2018, 2:13 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Driving question for you: You are in a left turn lane that has its own light - a green arrow. It doesn't turn to a flashing yellow arrow when the lanes going straight through the intersection turn green. If you are sitting there, along with other cars, through multiple cycles of the light without the green arrow coming on, what do you do?

a. keep waiting until it does
b. run it if there is a break in the traffic coming toward you
c. switch lanes and go straight until you can make a UTurn to come back

How many cycles do you wait?

X( Stupid light!
I choose b or c. A lot of it depends on how heavy the traffic is. If it was in my town and I was sure it was malfunctioning, I would call the City and report it.

Also, I would only wait 2 complete cycles to make my determination.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 5th, 2018, 6:41 pm

CathyCA wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:Driving question for you: You are in a left turn lane that has its own light - a green arrow. It doesn't turn to a flashing yellow arrow when the lanes going straight through the intersection turn green. If you are sitting there, along with other cars, through multiple cycles of the light without the green arrow coming on, what do you do?

X( Stupid light!
I choose b or c. A lot of it depends on how heavy the traffic is. If it was in my town and I was sure it was malfunctioning, I would call the City and report it.

I concur, but she’s the lawyer, not me! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 6th, 2018, 10:10 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

X( Stupid light!

I concur, but she’s the lawyer, not me! :9f:
But, can she represent me if I get a ticket? :D
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 6th, 2018, 10:29 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
But, can she represent me if I get a ticket? :D
Only in the several courts of North Carolina.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 12th, 2018, 11:51 am

CathyCA wrote:

X( Stupid light!

The Virginia Bar, or at least one small cog in it, concurs with learned counsel from NC. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 18th, 2018, 8:32 pm

A3D6E182-F554-4BA3-8DE9-5396C2E42547.jpeg
Kerrygold the Labradoodle. :x :x
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 19th, 2018, 6:36 am

Kerrygold is adorable.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 20th, 2018, 10:08 am

The courthouse went to the dogs yesterday.
6CE179C7-4EB1-4CD2-8097-2BB93B582CD4.jpeg
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » July 20th, 2018, 10:42 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
A3D6E182-F554-4BA3-8DE9-5396C2E42547.jpeg
Kerrygold the Labradoodle. :x :x
So precious!!!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 20th, 2018, 11:32 pm

Want to see something fun?
Go here https://www.liveleak.com/ top video is mine.
The video will prob be moved by time you click, but the top ones last a bit, so who knows.
(For those that are too slow to click, this is the link. https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uiA78_1532018329 )
So this was a cool story. And I will tell all about how viral videos actually get made! Tomorrow...when I'm awake. :)

Spiders are cool!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 21st, 2018, 8:38 am

73908 views when I clicked on it.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

As the Bunsen Burns...

Post by ArkieDukie » July 26th, 2018, 8:07 am

I think I told all of you that Doogie is joining the faculty at my current institution. He signed the contract several months ago and was waiting for his visa status to get straightened up before officially resigning the old job. THAT process took so long (new administration basically treated it as a new green card application) that his start date got pushed back to Sept 1. His new visa was approved in mid-June. He was planning to tell them on the last day of June and then pushed it back until the week after the 4th. Instead of announcing it then, he pushed it back a bit longer and actually SUBMITTED A TENURE PACKET. #-o He finally handed in his resignation on Monday. His moving truck came on Tuesday.

Response was what I expected. The Boss was gracious and nice about it. Most colleagues were happy for him and were full of congratulations. Two exceptions: Wile E Coyote and Red Dragon. Wile E Coyote, who he told in person, was (at first) very surprised. Actually asked if he thought he was good enough to come here and asked about his salary. Then he went off on a rant about how he would’ve had tenure already if he had stayed at his old job. The last part I totally expected. I also expected Red Dragon’s response. Doogie is an idiot and didn’t tell her in person. She apparently went into a rage and now refuses to talk to him. I think it’s relevant to add here that Doogie has a grant with Red Dragon. Before notifying UTMB, he called the NIH and made arrangements to take his grant money with him to his new job - effectively blocking Red Dragon from keeping all the money for herself, which she totally would’ve done. Also, they were awarded an internal grant for bridging money that he turned down. Idiot wrote the grant knowing that he was leaving but didn’t want to announce it yet. I think he majorly failed WTA in his actions toward Red Dragon. He feared exactly the reaction he is getting, and I think he brought it on himself.

Due to visa status, he has to be physically present at the old job on Aug 31. Between now and then, he’ll be back and forth between old job and new job. I think he’s in for an interesting month, and I’m guessing that Red Dragon isn’t finished yet. He needs to watch out for retaliation.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 27th, 2018, 7:27 am

Looks like I can still kill threads. Happy Friday, everyone!!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA

Re: As the Bunsen Burns...

Post by DukePA » July 27th, 2018, 9:04 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I think I told all of you that Doogie is joining the faculty at my current institution. He signed the contract several months ago and was waiting for his visa status to get straightened up before officially resigning the old job. THAT process took so long (new administration basically treated it as a new green card application) that his start date got pushed back to Sept 1. His new visa was approved in mid-June. He was planning to tell them on the last day of June and then pushed it back until the week after the 4th. Instead of announcing it then, he pushed it back a bit longer and actually SUBMITTED A TENURE PACKET. #-o He finally handed in his resignation on Monday. His moving truck came on Tuesday.

Response was what I expected. The Boss was gracious and nice about it. Most colleagues were happy for him and were full of congratulations. Two exceptions: Wile E Coyote and Red Dragon. Wile E Coyote, who he told in person, was (at first) very surprised. Actually asked if he thought he was good enough to come here and asked about his salary. Then he went off on a rant about how he would’ve had tenure already if he had stayed at his old job. The last part I totally expected. I also expected Red Dragon’s response. Doogie is an idiot and didn’t tell her in person. She apparently went into a rage and now refuses to talk to him. I think it’s relevant to add here that Doogie has a grant with Red Dragon. Before notifying UTMB, he called the NIH and made arrangements to take his grant money with him to his new job - effectively blocking Red Dragon from keeping all the money for herself, which she totally would’ve done. Also, they were awarded an internal grant for bridging money that he turned down. Idiot wrote the grant knowing that he was leaving but didn’t want to announce it yet. I think he majorly failed WTA in his actions toward Red Dragon. He feared exactly the reaction he is getting, and I think he brought it on himself.

Due to visa status, he has to be physically present at the old job on Aug 31. Between now and then, he’ll be back and forth between old job and new job. I think he’s in for an interesting month, and I’m guessing that Red Dragon isn’t finished yet. He needs to watch out for retaliation.
Dang, that's crazy. I hope things smooth out for Doogie.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: As the Bunsen Burns...

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 27th, 2018, 11:39 am

DukePA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I think I told all of you that Doogie is joining the faculty at my current institution. He signed the contract several months ago and was waiting for his visa status to get straightened up before officially resigning the old job. THAT process took so long (new administration basically treated it as a new green card application) that his start date got pushed back to Sept 1. His new visa was approved in mid-June. He was planning to tell them on the last day of June and then pushed it back until the week after the 4th. Instead of announcing it then, he pushed it back a bit longer and actually SUBMITTED A TENURE PACKET. #-o He finally handed in his resignation on Monday. His moving truck came on Tuesday.

Dang, that's crazy. I hope things smooth out for Doogie.
I forget - is Doogie a good guy or a bad guy? :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 27th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Doogie is a friend of mine. He’s a good guy and hella smart. Very under appreciated in his soon-to-be-former department. Now The Boss is telling everyone that one of his star faculty members is leaving. The cynical side of me says that it’s because he’s coming here; he said to Doogie that it looks good for him that one of his people is taking such a huge step up. 8-| Actually, dude, it kinda makes you look stupid for not putting him up for promotion when you had the chance. I should add that he hasn’t been able to keep Doogie’s name straight the entire time he has been there. Even got it wrong in the email he sent out to invite everyone to a going away party for Doogie.

Red Dragon has calmed down and his now planning a very nice going away party for him. She was unhappy because she found out from someone else before he could tell her. One of the departmental admin people called and told her AFTER Doogie specifically requested that she not do so because he wanted to tell Red Dragon in person.

Aside from Wile E Coyote’s oh-so-rude reaction, asking him how he got a job here, the second most rude reaction is from a colleague who’s immediate reaction was to come to Doogie’s lab and take back a piece of equipment that he had borrowed. No congratulations or anything. “I heard you’re leaving; I want my (whatever the heck it was) back.” Oh, how I don’t miss that place.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 31st, 2018, 10:08 am

I hope Doogie has a nice, calm month of August. It sounds as though he will be living in interesting times. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 31st, 2018, 6:52 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:I hope Doogie has a nice, calm month of August. It sounds as though he will be living in interesting times. :9f:
Yes indeed. He brought some of it on himself, but he was afraid of telling them sooner.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 31st, 2018, 6:53 pm

Spring has come late (and out of order) to my fair city. We’ve had rain with temps in the 70s for the past few days.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2018, 7:50 am

I had dinner, a couple of nights ago, with our old friend Lavabe.
-- Albert Einstein