Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Wheat/“/“/“
I don't know what PWing is.

Re: Trump Vs Biden --- The Election Thread

Post by Wheat/“/“/“ » September 2nd, 2020, 10:14 pm

gumbomoop wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 5:37 pm
I’d like to ask a question to those several of you who mentioned, in connection with Wheat’s recent posts, that his views mirror what you hear from your own Trump-supporting acquaintances. I’m not trying to reëngage with Wheat here, though of course he can post on any subject he wants, whenever he wants.

One issue that I assume Trumpists prefer to avoid is the shocking news of Russian bounties on American soldiers in Afghanistan. We know that the White House knew of this intelligence in early 2019. Wheat didn’t mention this; nor would I expect him to do so. I’m a bit embarrassed that I failed to bring it up, in response to claims of “America First,” Trump’s great support for the military, etc.

Since Trump and Trumpists present themselves as super-patriotic, what do your Trumpist acquaintances say about this? Crickets? Fake news? Trump playing long-game 5-D chess?
Just saw this...

Trump had Secretary of State Pompeo warn Russia on this issue...what would you have him do without any direct evidence? Shit like this is why we need to get out of Afghanistan, and Trump’s been getting us out of those situations.

The military community would respond, Trump or no Trump, if there was actual evidence this was a thing, I have no doubt.

Really. Good night.
Last edited by Wheat/“/“/“ on September 2nd, 2020, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » September 2nd, 2020, 10:23 pm

Furniture wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 10:04 pm
Gosh.....
Agreed. I need to get a good night's sleep so that tomorrow I can tell all of my African-American friends and neighbors here in New York City that some old white dude who grew up in NC and now I believe lives in Florida knows better than them what is best for them and that they are the victim of a huge conspiracy theory by Democrats to keep them down. It's going to be a long day.
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » September 3rd, 2020, 5:37 am

I guess I have to admit this post is “reëngaging” with Wheat. I acknowledge that this contravenes the community’s consensus advice that this is a pointless exercise.

1. Trump’s character faults — AFAIK, you, Wheat, have only agreed to one of his numerous character flaws. You’ve agreed he’s a narcissistic ass. I don’t agree that that single admission comes within a mile of recognizing his multiple deeper flaws that I have previously detailed at length and that endanger — immediately, right now, every day, as we speak — democracy and the rule of law. I repeat: we inhabit different moral universes.

2. It is accurate, yes, to say that Biden’s career has been in politics. Not a single Republican who has worked with Biden, however, would substantiate your silly characterization of him as a lying swamp creature. Your truly odd description is a Trumpian manifestation of “projection”: attributing to another one’s own flaws [Trump’s, not yours, I hope]. Trump lies about everything, every day, every hour. His administration is filled with far more swamp creatures than any other administration in American history.

Periodically, one reads the latest historians’ “rankings” of Presidents. The top two are always Lincoln and Washington, with FDR, TR, Jefferson probably next. Ike usually makes the top ten, sometimes Truman. Reagan maybe sneaks in there around 10-12. A mixture of Repubs and Dems, and the earliest lived long before our modern parties.

Whenever Trump leaves office, he will be ranked dead last. In his own special category of lastness.

Not because historians are all liberal weenies, but because they believe in evidence and standards. They will apply the same standards to Trump as to, say, Richard Nixon and, say, perennial bottom feeders [.......] Andrew Johnson and James Buchanan. They will present an overwhelming, social-science-evidence-based case as to Trump’s all-encompassing unfitness for any high office in the United States of America. Whence cometh this World Historical Derangement? Holding tightly to their professionalism and scholarly distancing, they will be hard pressed to avoid wondering aloud about “the people.” If by hook and crook Trump “wins” a second term, the historians will not spare “the people.”

3. Biden is not a conservative; he’s a centrist Democrat. But actual conservatives, as opposed to nostalgic reactionaries themselves mesmerized by Trump’s fascistic sloganeering, emerge daily from the proverbial political woodwork announcing their support, including their intent to vote, for Biden. They know Biden shares more moral and political sentiments with conservatism than does Trump, who never was, is not now, and will never be a conservative. Thus, actual conservatives have no perfect choice in this election. But they believe in conservatism’s traditional commitment to moral standards, the rule of law, and democratic norms. Some will, yes, sit out the election. Many will firmly cast a ballot for Biden’s decency over Trump’s sociopathy. They hope to be able to reconstitute the Republican Party into a vibrant conservative entity, but they know that everything Trump touches turns to rust. They inhabit a different moral universe from Trump and his (temporarily?) deranged supporters.

4. It is true that Democrats have not implemented policies that have come anywhere near solving the grotesque inequality in our country. But Republicans have no record to be proud of. Indeed, Republicans have for 40 years accused Democrats of “waging class war.” We have had class warfare in America — not by Democrats against the 5%, but by Republicans on behalf of the people at the top. Republicans have serially proffered iterations of what George H.W. Bush called “voodoo economics,” supply-side trickle-downism.

5. Race card — The word “irony” hardly does justice to a claim that Democrats constantly play the race card, when Trump has throughout his life called on good Americans to “stop the thugs.” He is infamous for his role in falsely accusing the Central Park Five of rape in 1989. After years in prison, the boys’ convictions were overturned. They were compensated in the millions; the money did not come out of Trump’s pockets. He practiced red-lining for decades. He was one of the originators of Birtherism, and now revives it by “wondering” whether Kamala Harris is “eligible” to run for VP. He began his campaign, literally, by calling Mexicans rapists. He encouraged a Muslim ban. He has spent the last two weeks defending white nationalists, “patriotic” militiamen driving in to stop the thugs from destroying our cities, a mere preview of what’s “coming for” Trump’s 1950s-imagined lily white, housewife-protected suburbs.

Race card indeed. Trump is inciting race war. Two months to go, he sees it as his best shot. And .... he has no qualms whatsoever about setting Americans to killing each other. He will do anything — literally anything — to win. The racists think he’s one of them; they’re right. The fascists and neo-Nazis think he’s one of them; they’re right. The deranged QAnon conspiracy loonies, knowing Secrets, answer his welcoming dog whistles.

Make America Great Again. Make America white again. Return the Master Race to its rightful place atop the pyramid of races.
Wheat/“/“/“

Post by Wheat/“/“/“ » September 3rd, 2020, 8:05 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 10:23 pm
Furniture wrote:
Gosh.....
Agreed. I need to get a good night's sleep so that tomorrow I can tell all of my African-American friends and neighbors here in New York City that some old white dude who grew up in NC and now I believe lives in Florida knows better than them what is best for them and that they are the victim of a huge conspiracy theory by Democrats to keep them down. It's going to be a long day.
I don’t pretend to “know what’s best for them”, that’s just you trying to inflame.

Free, educated, secure and empowered people make their own decisions, and that’s what I want for all Americans, especially minorities.

Don’t deflect by dismissing my opinion as some conspiracy theory. You are avoiding the issue.

Liberal/progressive policies in minority communities has created generations of crime, poverty and poor educational opportunities.

Simple question: Democrats have had control of those communities for decades. just how much time do you need to fix it?

It’s time for minority America to wake up and join conservatives who actually have plans and are willing to take actions to help.
dudog

Post by dudog » September 3rd, 2020, 8:34 am

Wheat/“/“/“ wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 8:05 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
Furniture wrote:
Gosh.....
I don’t pretend to “know what’s best for them”, that’s just you trying to inflame.

Free, educated, secure and empowered people make their own decisions, and that’s what I want for all Americans, especially minorities.

Don’t deflect by dismissing my opinion as some conspiracy theory. You are avoiding the issue.

Liberal/progressive policies in minority communities has created generations of crime, poverty and poor educational opportunities.

Simple question: Democrats have had control of those communities for decades. just how much time do you need to fix it?

It’s time for minority America to wake up and join conservatives who actually have plans and are willing to take actions to help.
O...M...G. I was going to sprinkle in some profanity, but I'm not sure I know enough cuss words to respond to this.

And if those decisions are to vote for Democrats, the poor souls just aren't smart enough to know what's good for them. Let the generous old white man tell them what that is. They are obviously too stupid to figure it out for themselves.

Can you be any more insulting. (that is not a question)

Yes, they should be supporting the man (and the party that grovels at his feet) who calls their places of origin "shithole countries". Who tells elected leaders who look like them to "go back to where they came from". Who proudly supports marchers who chant "You will not replace us". Who is the fucking (sorry, that one slipped out) champion of Birtherism, the most racist thing to happen in this country since lynchings.

Finally, YOU are the ones behind voter disenfranchisement and suppression. Explain that. No, check that, I don't want to hear anymore.

I don't know what is more disgusting, your bullshit (there I go again) or the appearance that you actually believe it.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » September 3rd, 2020, 9:18 am

Moving on...

Trump is threatening to withhold federal funds from "anarchist" cities. So much for the "united" states of America. One would think that as a result, these cities should no longer have to pay taxes. Since blue states tend to be net contributors while red states tend to be net takers, that could cause some problems. Especially since it was just announced that our debt is about to pass our GDP. It is also particularly ironic that NYC is on the list - the city where Trump has lived his whole life and to which he has a lot of financial ties.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/0 ... ice-408116

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/56517
Wheat/“/“/“

Post by Wheat/“/“/“ » September 3rd, 2020, 9:30 am

dudog wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 8:34 am
Wheat/“/“/“ wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 8:05 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

O...M...G. I was going to sprinkle in some profanity, but I'm not sure I know enough cuss words to respond to this.

And if those decisions are to vote for Democrats, the poor souls just aren't smart enough to know what's good for them. Let the generous old white man tell them what that is. They are obviously too stupid to figure it out for themselves.

Can you be any more insulting. (that is not a question)

Yes, they should be supporting the man (and the party that grovels at his feet) who calls their places of origin "shithole countries". Who tells elected leaders who look like them to "go back to where they came from". Who proudly supports marchers who chant "You will not replace us". Who is the fucking (sorry, that one slipped out) champion of Birtherism, the most racist thing to happen in this country since lynchings.

Finally, YOU are the ones behind voter disenfranchisement and suppression. Explain that. No, check that, I don't want to hear anymore.

I don't know what is more disgusting, your bullshit (there I go again) or the appearance that you actually believe it.
That’s another post of complete horseshit, to use a word you might be able to comprehend.

When you have no response, no answer to what you’ve been called out on, you attack me personally. It’s a common tactic of the left and why there is a silent majority out there. Most people are not as thick skinned as I am and just won’t engage in a debate like this to avoid the attacks.

Answer the fucking question. Just how long are minorities expected to wait before democratic policies actually help them? A few decades not enough?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 3rd, 2020, 9:35 am

Wheat/“/“/“ wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 9:30 am

Answer the fucking question. Just how long are minorities expected to wait before democratic policies actually help them? A few decades not enough?
I'm pretty sure that neither of you is going to change the other's mind.

In other news, Trump says if you really want to make sure that your vote gets counted, vote twice.
President Donald Trump has long sought to undermine public confidence in the upcoming election with baseless warnings that mail-in-voting could lead to widespread voter fraud.
Now, he is actively encouraging people to test the system by actually attempting to commit fraud.
In the battleground state of North Carolina Wednesday, Trump suggested to supporters that they should attempt to vote twice -- first by mail and then in person.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 3rd, 2020, 9:58 am

Wheat/“/“/“ wrote:

That’s another post of complete horseshit, to use a word you might be able to comprehend.
While CTN supports everyone's right to their own opinion, I do draw the line when it comes to one poster attacking another poster for voicing said opinion. The tone of the post that I've quoted is pretty much highlighting what I am talking about. Say what you have to say, but do it respectfully. And if you feel that you can't do so, then don't reply at all. Not engaging is a perfect way to let a "debate" that barrels into nothing more than dogmatic banging-your-head-against-the-wall one on one fight die a merciful death. (Or take it offline and beat each other up in private messaging.)
Wheat/“/“/“

Post by Wheat/“/“/“ » September 3rd, 2020, 10:54 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 9:58 am
Wheat/“/“/“ wrote:

While CTN supports everyone's right to their own opinion, I do draw the line when it comes to one poster attacking another poster for voicing said opinion. The tone of the post that I've quoted is pretty much highlighting what I am talking about. Say what you have to say, but do it respectfully. And if you feel that you can't do so, then don't reply at all. Not engaging is a perfect way to let a "debate" that barrels into nothing more than dogmatic banging-your-head-against-the-wall one on one fight die a merciful death. (Or take it offline and beat each other up in private messaging.)
It’s telling that you called out the reply in tone rather than the poster of the profanity laced attack the preceded it.

Will somebody attempt to answer the question?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 3rd, 2020, 11:04 am

New CNN poll out has Biden maintaining his lead after the conventions. I was worried that Trump's "Law & Order" tour he's been on of late would affect the numbers as well, but the more he keeps pounding his doom & gloom in Biden's America scenario, and the more Biden projects optimism while reminding people that all of this is happening in Trump's America, the less I think those poll numbers are going to change.
Among registered voters, 51% back Biden, 43% Trump. The difference in each candidate's support when compared with a CNN poll conducted pre-conventions is within the poll's margin of sampling error.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/02/politics ... index.html
dudog

Post by dudog » September 3rd, 2020, 11:52 am

September 3rd, 2020, 9:58 am
Wheat/“/“/“ wrote:

My apologies to Wheat and CTN, because I was a participant. White patrimony is just so infuriating, especially in support of the most overtly racist president (many have been racist but have at least tried to hide it) in history. But I went overboard. So I'll try again.

What are your policies? Seems it's just 'Trust us', or more famously (directly quoted) "What have you got to lose?". What has been offered is:
  • Support for white supremacists, up to and including tweeting a video of a supporter shouting "White Power"
    Thinly veiled racist statements
    Completely FUBARing a pandemic which has disproportionately affected people of color
    Tax cuts for the very wealthy, not a lot of help for black people or inner cities there
    Inflaming racial tensions daily, constantly turning up the heat with words and deeds
    Numerous attempts to take away health care which a lot of lower income people depend upon
These are actual things. So I would appreciate a more substantive response than platitudes.
hml1959

Post by hml1959 » September 3rd, 2020, 12:08 pm

September 3rd, 2020, 11:04 am
New CNN poll out has Biden maintaining his lead after the conventions. I was worried that Trump's "Law & Order" tour he's been on of late would affect the numbers as well, but the more he keeps pounding his doom & gloom in Biden's America scenario, and the more Biden projects optimism while reminding people that all of this is happening in Trump's America, the less I think those poll numbers are going to change.
Among registered voters, 51% back Biden, 43% Trump. The difference in each candidate's support when compared with a CNN poll conducted pre-conventions is within the poll's margin of sampling error.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/02/politics ... index.html
To be honest, I'm not really expecting the polls to change much between now and November. The two candidates are both well known. I don't think much changes unless one of the debates goes really south for Trump or he falls on camera.

Speaking of the debates, if I were Biden, I would agree to Trump's call for drug testing, if Trump will agree to his call for real time fact checking.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 3rd, 2020, 12:14 pm

hml1959 wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 12:08 pm
Speaking of the debates, if I were Biden, I would agree to Trump's call for drug testing, if Trump will agree to his call for real time fact checking.
Ooooh, I like that! :))
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » September 3rd, 2020, 12:34 pm

Wheat/“/“/“ wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 10:54 am
Will somebody attempt to answer the question?
I think the question concerns policies that might actually help minorities.

My view is that Democratic policies have been somewhat more successful than Republican policies. BUT ..... you and I will never agree about that, so let me turn to the future, which is your concern, too, I think.

I think actual conservatives, as opposed to the majority of Trump voters, might find common ground with Democrats in facing up to the problem of crushing inequality, which affects both black and white people. There are smart people who will try to fashion both broad and targeted policies and programs.

My optimistic premise may be naïve, and faces the major obstacle of Alternative Realities America. I don’t know who will win this election. I don’t know which party will control the Senate for the next 2 years. I’m confident that Dems will control the House.

We will not agree on whether a Trump or Biden presidency, and a Repub or Dem Senate, would be better positioned to begin again to solve rather than exacerbate problems, in short, to govern. Trump voters overwhelmingly believe in “not-government.” Trumpism represents, among other things, the revenge of radical individualism: “I’m a freeborn American. Government can’t make me do anything.” But I think [read: hope] virtually all Dems, all actual conservatives, and some smaller but nevertheless possibly meaningful portion of Trump’s tripartite base will face Real Reality, and will at least say, “We cannot ignore inequality, our crumbling infrastructure, hungry kids, ruinous health care costs, any longer.” I think it unwise to focus solely on the black underclass, as millions of whites can’t make it anymore, either.

You and I will perhaps agree about the desperate need for job creation, infrastructure repair, controlling health costs, etc. But we are unlikely to agree on how to pay for the massive investment that is needed. Nor are we likely to agree on whether a Trump or Biden presidency is the more likely to be able to “bring us together.” I think Biden is capable of appealing to some portion of Trump voters, maybe just enough to count. Biden is a legislator who is liked by some Republican Senators. Trump has not actually been a “deal-maker,” despite his claims. There’s less chance Trump is willing to negotiate, though It’s vaguely possible that he’d sign some “economic opportunity” legislation passed by both Dem-controlled House and Senate. I’m not optimistic about that.

A President Biden would first have to deal with QAnon and more numerous Trump conspiracy theorists, who would be encouraged by Trump to believe the election was stolen from him, and them.

I think there’s a chance to begin what will be a longterm reconciliation project if Biden wins. That reconciliation must include a hard look at class inequality, and an honest admission that racial inequality is, in part, systemic. You and I agree on very little. But we’d have at least a small chance at doing something to address inequality, class and racial. We are not sociopaths.

If Trump wins, there’s no chance at reconciliation. Trump does not do reconciliation. He does revenge.
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » September 3rd, 2020, 12:53 pm

September 3rd, 2020, 12:14 pm
hml1959 wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 12:08 pm
Ooooh, I like that! :))
I like what someone else said. Let’s both do drug testing if we both show our taxes.
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
dudog

Post by dudog » September 3rd, 2020, 2:30 pm

Re the terrible person Biden is, let's hear from one of Trump's favorite people: Lindsey Graham

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/linds ... 2020-06-14

"If you can't admire Joe Biden as a person, you've got a problem"
"He is as good a man as God ever created"
"He is the nicest person I think I've ever met in politics"

Ok, that last one may have a low bar. :) :(
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 3rd, 2020, 3:01 pm

dudog wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 2:30 pm
Re the terrible person Biden is, let's hear from one of Trump's favorite people: Lindsey Graham

Too bad those words come from literally the most two faced person in the Senate. Goes from Trump is a "race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot" who is "unfit for office" to Trump is the best thing since sliced bread.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » September 3rd, 2020, 3:20 pm

September 3rd, 2020, 3:01 pm
dudog wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 2:30 pm

Too bad those words come from literally the most two faced person in the Senate. Goes from Trump is a "race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot" who is "unfit for office" to Trump is the best thing since sliced bread.
How is he doing in the polls? Has anyone asked him about the hypocrisy of his statements about Biden and Trump? Last I saw he was having a closer race than I expected. Maybe it is because I am in a place with no relevant down-ballot races but I am surprised at how little press I have seen about other races, especially the Senate. As much as I really, really want to win the white house, I could stomach four more years of Trump a bit more if the Dems controlled both house and senate.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » September 3rd, 2020, 3:33 pm

Wheat/“/“/“ wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 9:50 pm
I don’t like Trumps character, I’ve been very clear on that and certainly not afraid to address his faults there. I also don’t like Biden’s character, he’s a lying career politician that’s tells people what he thinks they want to hear, [etc.].

And those are our two choices. Not America’s best or brightest, but that’s what we have. So we have to set aside those character flaws and look at what they do, or what their party wants to do, if they are in office.
This isn't just a question of character. It is a question of the use of power for personal, political ends.

You asked earlier what Trump did to further his personal interests, and in the next breath laughed off the Ukraine matter. Let's say you really believe Hunter Biden is really a threat to national security because Joe arranged a cushy job for him in a Ukrainian oil company. Under past administrations, U.S. agencies would have been tasked with that matter. Those agencies would have worked outside the direct purview of the President, possibly in conjunction with the country in which it happened, but also possibly not. But in any case, it is the U.S. investigation that would have evaluated the case and made a determination. No such U.S. investigation was opened. Why not?

In addition, the President did not make the money appropriated to Congress available to Ukraine for its defense against Russia immediately available. Did he want an investigation opened in exchange for that release? Actually, no. He asked for a public statement of an investigation, but didn't actually ask for an investigation, didn't ask for any reports to be sent, and didn't ask for any U.S. agency involvement in the requested investigation. Why not? Meanwhile, Congress had said that Ukraine needed the money urgently, but the funds were not released. How is that acceptable action in the national interest?

That just one instance, of course. He has also suggested holding the G7 at his own resort (rescinded due to public outcry), has redirected the routes of military aircraft to house crews at a Trump-owned resort, has asked the British Government to change the site of the British Open golf tournament to one of his properties, and used official acts and official government property directly in a campaign. And before you flippantly say that last one doesn't mean anything, how is using the White House for the Republican National Committee advancing the interests of any non-Republican taxpayer? That's just the low-hanging fruit.

Oh, and why won't he release his tax returns, anyway? Why does he get a free pass on that, as the only major party NOMINEE, let alone elected President, to refuse to do so for the last 40 years (Gerald Ford released summaries - but not returns - in 1976)?

Hunter Biden is a problem, I agree. But the fact remains, that it is is legal under U.S. law. The reverse, by the way, is not. A foreign leader's children may not accept jobs directly in U.S. companies. That law needs to change.

Now for the issue you raised, which I believe boils down to the following from a later post:
Wheat/“/“/“ wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 9:50 pm
The problem with the general question as phrased is that regardless of what specific item I raise, it allows you to shift the discussion to something else. This is a very common rhetorical tactic (on both sides, not just yours): One asks a general question, a specific response is given, and then the initial questioner gives a different "whatabout" question until the initial responder can't find a reply.

That doesn't pass for discussion where I'm from. If you have something specific in mind, whether a specific policy or a specific city, name it, and I'll be happy to discuss it, warts and all. I have done so above, so now I expect you to do the same.

One of the major faults of our current political discourse is that it is far too simplistic. Both sides have trouble admitting fault. Errors need to be evaluated and discussed. Encountering a single problem may, but more then likely does not, invalidate an entire approach. It often does require a fix, however. But you can't fix the details until you agree on what the subject matter is. The way your question is phrased, I can't tell what you are actually asking.

Or, I could say, "less time than passed between 1865 (the Civil War) and 1960 (the Civil Rights Movement)", and leave it at that. But I don't see how that advances the discussion. :D