Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Post by Lavabe » February 26th, 2010, 9:31 am

NBC Today just had one of the most HILARIOUS profile segments of the US Ski Team's Starting Gate Motivator, a 6'4", 275 pound landscaper nicknamed BABY HUEY. UNBELIEVEABLE!! Here's a web story on him:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/wgal/news/newsid=397881.html

I want that gig!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 26th, 2010, 9:42 am

The Canadian women's hockey team: Good performance in the game.

However, AFTER the game:
http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/wint ... id=4947716

It's probably not the wisest thing to do to bother the folks who are weighing whether or not to continue the sport in future Olympics.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 26th, 2010, 9:59 am

Lavabe wrote:The Canadian women's hockey team: Good performance in the game.

However, AFTER the game:

It's probably not the wisest thing to do to bother the folks who are weighing whether or not to continue the sport in future Olympics.
I agree with your final sentence. I very much congratulate the Canadian women on their well-deserved gold medal, and I of course have no problem if they want to get smashed and puff cigars in celebration. But on the ice? Good grief, what the hell are you thinking?!?!?!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 26th, 2010, 10:01 am

colchar wrote:
wilson wrote:Big time hats-off to Bill Demong and Johnny Spillane, gold and silver medalists respectively for the U.S. in nordic combined. These guys have toiled anonymously in a fringe (at best) sport . . .

Dude, that isn't just in the US. When I read the opening sentence of your post the first thought that ran through my head was 'What the fuck is nordic combined?!?'

Maybe their medals and the fact that these games were held in Canada (although I'm still not convinced that Vancouver, or any other part of British Columbia, is actually part of Canada) might help raise the profile of that sport here in North America.
Ski jumping + cross-country skiing, in case anyone's still wondering.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 26th, 2010, 10:03 am

wilson wrote:Two more medals would put the U.S. at its best-ever total in a Winter Olympiad, and Uncle Sam is inching ever closer to also clinching this year's highest overall medal count.
...and according to this morning's SportsCenter, the U.S. are only four away from equaling Germany's all-time record of 36 medals in a single winter Olympiad.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 26th, 2010, 11:00 am

Lavabe wrote:The Canadian women's hockey team: Good performance in the game.

However, AFTER the game:

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. So they had a couple of drinks on the ice after the game, who cares?!? The fans had left the building and the person who spoke out about the party was a reporter. Did that reporter not have better things to worry about? They've just won Olympic gold, some of them for the first time and some for the last time, and they had a couple of drinks on the ice (like tens of thousands of other Canadian hockey players have done in the past and will do in the future while celebrating a championship). Seriously, who gives a shit?

On another note, I had forgotten to mention previously in this thread that one of my younger brother's best friend's sister is on the Canadian team. Congrats to her.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 26th, 2010, 11:09 am

colchar wrote:The fans had left the building and the person who spoke out about the party was a reporter.
I was unaware of this part of the story. This is completely different to me. I concur with you that the whole thing is bullshit. Good for the Canadians for their victory and their ability to celebrate the moment. :ymapplause:
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 26th, 2010, 11:22 am

wilson wrote:
colchar wrote:The fans had left the building and the person who spoke out about the party was a reporter.
I was unaware of this part of the story. This is completely different to me. I concur with you that the whole thing is bullshit. Good for the Canadians for their victory and their ability to celebrate the moment. :ymapplause:

One of the big issues seems to be that one of our players was drinking underage. Again, I don't think anyone should care. First of all, underage drinking isn't that big a deal up here as everyone does it. Second, even someone caught drinking underage only gets a small fine similar to a speeding or parking ticket with no possibility of a criminal record as it isn't a criminal offense (as opposed to the situation faced recently by one of our members here). Third, while the legal drinking age in British Columbia is 19 there are other Canadian provinces, including the province that this player is from, where the legal drinking age is 18 so I don't have a problem with her drinking at that age (it's not like she is a 16 year old). And fourth, the laws vary by province with regards to the legality of giving booze to minors in private residences, parties, etc. so it is entirely possible (I am not at all familiar with the law in British Columbia) that it is technically legal for her to drink there under certain circumstances and, if that is the case, then, again, I am fine with it as I would consider their party to have been a private affair (in other words, it was inside a building as opposed to out on the streets or in a bar).

Canadians have far more liberal attitudes towards drinking than many other countries and I doubt very many people up here will give a damn that the women were drinking on the ice.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » February 26th, 2010, 11:52 am

colchar wrote:
wilson wrote:

One of the big issues seems to be that one of our players was drinking underage. Again, I don't think anyone should care. First of all, underage drinking isn't that big a deal up here as everyone does it. Second, even someone caught drinking underage only gets a small fine similar to a speeding or parking ticket with no possibility of a criminal record as it isn't a criminal offense (as opposed to the situation faced recently by one of our members here). Third, while the legal drinking age in British Columbia is 19 there are other Canadian provinces, including the province that this player is from, where the legal drinking age is 18 so I don't have a problem with her drinking at that age (it's not like she is a 16 year old). And fourth, the laws vary by province with regards to the legality of giving booze to minors in private residences, parties, etc. so it is entirely possible (I am not at all familiar with the law in British Columbia) that it is technically legal for her to drink there under certain circumstances and, if that is the case, then, again, I am fine with it as I would consider their party to have been a private affair (in other words, it was inside a building as opposed to out on the streets or in a bar).

Canadians have far more liberal attitudes towards drinking than many other countries and I doubt very many people up here will give a damn that the women were drinking on the ice.
My first thought was (hope you aren't offended, Colchar), "duh, their Canadians"? Canadians have just as much of a reputation for drinking beer as the Irish do. IIRC the Olympics are in Canada this winter, making the celebration that much sweeter. [/sarcastic tone]

Someone needs to get a life!

Oh, congrats to the Canadian women on winning the gold and the US women on winning the silver.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 26th, 2010, 11:58 am

colchar wrote:One of the big issues seems to be that one of our players was drinking underage. Again, I don't think anyone should care. First of all, underage drinking isn't that big a deal up here as everyone does it. Second, even someone caught drinking underage only gets a small fine similar to a speeding or parking ticket with no possibility of a criminal record as it isn't a criminal offense (as opposed to the situation faced recently by one of our members here). Third, while the legal drinking age in British Columbia is 19 there are other Canadian provinces, including the province that this player is from, where the legal drinking age is 18 so I don't have a problem with her drinking at that age (it's not like she is a 16 year old). And fourth, the laws vary by province with regards to the legality of giving booze to minors in private residences, parties, etc. so it is entirely possible (I am not at all familiar with the law in British Columbia) that it is technically legal for her to drink there under certain circumstances and, if that is the case, then, again, I am fine with it as I would consider their party to have been a private affair (in other words, it was inside a building as opposed to out on the streets or in a bar).

I'm glad an apology was given, at least to the IOC. I wouldn't want ANYTHING to be used as evidence against hockey in the Olympics, but frankly, I'm afraid that it's all a moot point, as the competitive balance issue will force the IOC to remove the women's game from the Olympics.

On the other hand, Molson now probably can obtain some good advertising photos from some enterprising photographers. And who produced the Canadian champagne? LOTS of potential advertising there, too.

Canadian champagne? =p~
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 26th, 2010, 12:00 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Oh, congrats to the Canadian women on winning the gold and the US women on winning the silver.

I must say that I am pissed about one of the American players - not that she did anything wrong but just for the fact that she is American and not Canadian as she is hot as hell (or as hot as you can look in hockey equipment)!!! Seriously, can we have her? If she moved up here and took citizenship she could eventually play for Team Canada. We'll trade you a couple of our girls for her. Anyone want to make that trade? Please? I'll even offer her a place to stay until she gets settled up here...
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 26th, 2010, 12:01 pm

colchar wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:

I must say that I am pissed about one of the American players - not that she did anything wrong but just for the fact that she is American and not Canadian as she is hot as hell (or as hot as you can look in hockey equipment)!!! Seriously, can we have her? If she moved up here and took citizenship she could eventually play for Team Canada. We'll trade you a couple of our girls for her. Anyone want to make that trade? Please? I'll even offer her a place to stay until she gets settled up here...
Paging colchar's future mum-in-law. ;)
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 26th, 2010, 12:05 pm

It is Kelli Stack. Gigi Marvin ain't bad looking either.

Here is some proof (Kelli is on the left in the second photo):

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/901956 ... 0B0D811297

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/901139 ... 0B0D811297
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » February 26th, 2010, 2:24 pm

Separated at Birth? Shaun White and Switzerland's curler Mirjam Ott?
Shaun and Mirjam Ott.JPG
Shaun and Mirjam Ott.JPG (11.23 KiB) Viewed 300 times
-EarlMirJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 26th, 2010, 2:32 pm

EarlJam wrote:Separated at Birth? Shaun White and Switzerland's curler Mirjam Ott?
Shaun and Mirjam Ott.JPG
-EarlMirJam
Same hairdresser.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 26th, 2010, 2:48 pm

EarlJam wrote:Separated at Birth? Shaun White and Switzerland's curler Mirjam Ott?
Shaun and Mirjam Ott.JPG
-EarlMirJam
NBC did a HORRIBLE Olympian twins series with winter athletes:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/wmaq/photos/ ... 34018.html

Shaun White and...

MOLLY RINGWALD?
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 26th, 2010, 3:08 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Shaun and Mirjam Ott.JPG
-EarlMirJam

Shaun White and...

MOLLY RINGWALD?

Some of those were weak. Others, however, were pretty good.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 26th, 2010, 3:13 pm

colchar wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Shaun and Mirjam Ott.JPG
-EarlMirJam

Shaun White and...

MOLLY RINGWALD?

Some of those were weak. Others, however, were pretty good.
Plushenko & Streep cracked me up.
Life is good!
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » February 26th, 2010, 3:20 pm

Wow! An All-American Ass Whoopin' is being laid down on Finland right now.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 26th, 2010, 3:25 pm

EarlJam wrote:Wow! An All-American Ass Whoopin' is being laid down on Finland right now.

-EarlJam
I came here to say just that. 4-0 USA, midway through the 1st period(?!?!?!).
**== **== **== **==