Vibes for OzzieDad

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Vibes for OzzieDad

Post by Miles » October 30th, 2009, 10:55 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Oz, I know you're only one man and can't be everywhere at once....BUT.....you leave town and the Heels win. Aaargh! Get back here on the job ASAP. Obviously, you are missed!
Love, Ima
On the plus side, Virginia Tech lost. Every cloud has a silver lining? :ymhug:
sMiles
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 3rd, 2009, 9:03 am

OK, here's an update.

I drove home yesterday. He is doing somewhat better in rehab. He has feeling and motion in all limbs and talks fine most of the time. He's not "with it" all of the time. Don't think he knows he's in rehab from a stroke, although he will sometimes say he is in rehab, but they are just empty words he is repeating. His best/most coherent moments come on the phone when he is talking to my wife and daughter! He knows exactly who they are! So we are trying to make that a daily occurrence.

The big problem is/will be getting him so he can get himself up off the bed or out of a chair, so he can walk, with guidance (he's blind), from point A to point B. My mom can't begin to lift him, or even offer significant assistance, so getting up to a standing position is absolutely necessary, or he can't go home. Hopefully they can make progress towards that in the next week or two.

Thanks for all the vibes. I know they work and report any significant progress back here when it occurs.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 3rd, 2009, 9:09 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:OK, here's an update.

I drove home yesterday. He is doing somewhat better in rehab. He has feeling and motion in all limbs and talks fine most of the time. He's not "with it" all of the time. Don't think he knows he's in rehab from a stroke, although he will sometimes say he is in rehab, but they are just empty words he is repeating. His best/most coherent moments come on the phone when he is talking to my wife and daughter! He knows exactly who they are! So we are trying to make that a daily occurrence.

The big problem is/will be getting him so he can get himself up off the bed or out of a chair, so he can walk, with guidance (he's blind), from point A to point B. My mom can't begin to lift him, or even offer significant assistance, so getting up to a standing position is absolutely necessary, or he can't go home. Hopefully they can make progress towards that in the next week or two.

Thanks for all the vibes. I know they work and report any significant progress back here when it occurs.
Another does of vibes zoomin' from Clearwater to the East Coast...hope he continues to improve and can go home in no time! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » November 3rd, 2009, 9:42 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:OK, here's an update.

This is very familiar ground. Being able to transfer as you describe is so essential. I'm visualizing his success and sending stronger vibes and prayers.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » November 3rd, 2009, 1:09 pm

More vibes from VA for the OzzieDad that he will get healther and stronger very soon!!!!! :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 3rd, 2009, 1:49 pm

I'm guessing that nobody can give you an estimate of how long it will take him to reach his goal of transferring alone? Probably will depend on how motivated he is to be independent. So often that mental attitude is all important and it's tough fighting the depression that comes with a stroke.

I know seeing your cherubic face helped a bunch in that regard. Who could ever stay sad with your sunny smile in the room? Do you have other family or sibs in their area who can help your mom out? Where is he recuperating....still in the hospital or in a rehab facility?

Now, you need a change of pace. Hope you are planning to keep your seat in Cameron warm tonight........or not, actually. Let's hope the Devils keep you up on your feet in place!!!! Go Duke! Go OzzieDad!

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 3rd, 2009, 3:01 pm

Sending some extra strong vibes!!! } } } } } } } } } } } :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Class of 2014
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 3rd, 2009, 3:28 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I'm guessing that nobody can give you an estimate of how long it will take him to reach his goal of transferring alone? Probably will depend on how motivated he is to be independent. So often that mental attitude is all important and it's tough fighting the depression that comes with a stroke.

I know seeing your cherubic face helped a bunch in that regard. Who could ever stay sad with your sunny smile in the room? Do you have other family or sibs in their area who can help your mom out? Where is he recuperating....still in the hospital or in a rehab facility?

Now, you need a change of pace. Hope you are planning to keep your seat in Cameron warm tonight........or not, actually. Let's hope the Devils keep you up on your feet in place!!!! Go Duke! Go OzzieDad!

Love, Ima
Unfortunately, he is blind and has been for a couple of years, losing his sight gradually over 3 or 4 years from glaucoma (surgery didn't help), diabetes and whatever else he had, despite the efforts of ophthalmologists. My brother, who is down there, is/will be of little help; he's got his own problems, but they are not physical.

Originally they said Medicare would pay for 2 weeks in rehab, but apparently it will pay for up to 100 days if it is "medically necessary". Hopefully it will be deemed so.

I will be in Cameron tonight!

DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » November 3rd, 2009, 3:54 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote: So often that mental attitude is all important and it's tough fighting the depression that comes with a stroke.
Speaking of mental attitude and depression, has treatment for this been discussed? After my grandmother had her latest stroke, her emotions went on a whirlwind, she could go up or down at the drop of a hat. After putting her on an anti-depressant, she has done a lot better, both in working with her caregivers, and in being more in control of her emotions.

Sending huge hugs your way, Ozzie, and major recovery vibes to your dad.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 3rd, 2009, 4:10 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote: So often that mental attitude is all important and it's tough fighting the depression that comes with a stroke.
Speaking of mental attitude and depression, has treatment for this been discussed? After my grandmother had her latest stroke, her emotions went on a whirlwind, she could go up or down at the drop of a hat. After putting her on an anti-depressant, she has done a lot better, both in working with her caregivers, and in being more in control of her emotions.

I'll mention depression to my mom - for both of them. Thanks.

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 3rd, 2009, 6:09 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:

I'll mention depression to my mom - for both of them. Thanks.
When I use to work with elderly people, those who were depressed due to a medical condition, were often put on Ritalin. It has the opposite effect on elderly than young folks. In the elderly, it perks them up. Worth asking about.
I worship the Blue Devil!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 3rd, 2009, 8:23 pm

Another round of vibes coming, Ozzie!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein