Brunchgate 10/24 Edition: Planning and Attendance

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Brunchgate 10/24 Edition: Planning and Attendance

Post by devildeac » October 19th, 2009, 9:36 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Just ordered our brisket from Town Market in Princeton! They'll trim it really nice (get rid of the extra fat on the bottom, wish I could do that...) and Mrs. Ozzie will cook it on Wednesday, then I'll slice it on Thursday. Ymm! I can hardly wait! In fact, I may taste test it for dinner on Thursday night! :D
If you're gonna taste test it Thursday, you had better make it a 20 pound brisket instead of a 15 pounder. :roll: :drool: :)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Jarhead
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by Jarhead » October 19th, 2009, 8:14 pm

This is sounding like the pinnacle of all Brunchgates, and sadly, I won't be able to make it this time. :-??
I'll be at the game, but I need to get back home by six. No excuses. Buschdevil will be hard at work coaching my granddaughter's soccer team, and we'll go to the game together, so he'll miss Brunchgate, also. We'll suffer, :sigh: but I expect the boys will beat Maryland, so I'll drive home happy. :ymhug:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 19th, 2009, 8:27 pm

Jarhead wrote:This is sounding like the pinnacle of all Brunchgates, and sadly, I won't be able to make it this time. :-??
I'll be at the game, but I need to get back home by six. No excuses. Buschdevil will be hard at work coaching my granddaughter's soccer team, and we'll go to the game together, so he'll miss Brunchgate, also. We'll suffer, :sigh: but I expect the boys will beat Maryland, so I'll drive home happy. :ymhug:
Unfortunate but understandable. You know where we are, so if time allows please come by, even at half-time. Best of vibes to her soccer team! :wizard: :wizard:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 19th, 2009, 8:33 pm

I had an epiphany tonight..for some cool brunchgatedness. We have a great spot, nice trees on both sides, and a lamp post. I think it would be way awesome to use the lamp post as support on one side of a banner that stretches above the sidewalk that says "Devil's Alley Kitchen Today's Special Turtle Soup". Cutcliffe has noted he wished the alley were more than what it is, I think that a banner to welcome them and fire the team up would be a great way to do it. We would need an equally tall support on the other side..plus some rope to make sure it stays upright. We can use one of the tent poles as the base to tie it too. I don't know what we would use for the support itself, maybe two 8' 2x4's that we can nail together onsite..for the banner we can use a bedsheet that's been painted. Anyways..it's a fun thought.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 19th, 2009, 9:07 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I had an epiphany tonight..for some cool brunchgatedness. We have a great spot, nice trees on both sides, and a lamp post. I think it would be way awesome to use the lamp post as support on one side of a banner that stretches above the sidewalk that says "Devil's Alley Kitchen Today's Special Turtle Soup". Cutcliffe has noted he wished the alley were more than what it is, I think that a banner to welcome them and fire the team up would be a great way to do it. We would need an equally tall support on the other side..plus some rope to make sure it stays upright. We can use one of the tent poles as the base to tie it too. I don't know what we would use for the support itself, maybe two 8' 2x4's that we can nail together onsite..for the banner we can use a bedsheet that's been painted. Anyways..it's a fun thought.
Chris that is an awesome IDEA!!!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: I can't wait for this weekend! CathyCA, her mom and I will be there all day for both the DUKE victory on the football field and then on the BBall court!!!! I am soo excited!!!!! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ LGD! LGD!!!! LGD!!!!!!!!!!

We will be bringing the following:
- Those Oatmeal Jiffy crunch bars I mentioned last week, but they'll be fresh!
- Broccoli Salad (this recipe is a wonderful, will post afterwards)
- Some bombers for drinking/sharing
- some traders
- maybe some mimosas stuff and that screw driver/spicy BM was a big hit last time
- surprise dessert!!!! (HAHAHAHA), I'll post that homemade recipe also when afterwards also, can't tip my hand!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 19th, 2009, 9:46 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I had an epiphany tonight..for some cool brunchgatedness. We have a great spot, nice trees on both sides, and a lamp post. I think it would be way awesome to use the lamp post as support on one side of a banner that stretches above the sidewalk that says "Devil's Alley Kitchen Today's Special Turtle Soup". Cutcliffe has noted he wished the alley were more than what it is, I think that a banner to welcome them and fire the team up would be a great way to do it. We would need an equally tall support on the other side..plus some rope to make sure it stays upright. We can use one of the tent poles as the base to tie it too. I don't know what we would use for the support itself, maybe two 8' 2x4's that we can nail together onsite..for the banner we can use a bedsheet that's been painted. Anyways..it's a fun thought.
Love this idea!!!! We probably have 8' 2x4s from the old deck. The other support, don't know. I will get Bud to read this when I get home. He may have something that will work. How tall does it need to be? He may also have the rope. We may need a mac truck for Sat. :)) :)) :)) :))

To make Devil's Alley more creative, maybe Jason should judge the best tent each week with some sort of prize. That could make the alley very interesting. What do you think?

Gads, its hard to type while watching the Big Bang. Its so funny. :D :D
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 19th, 2009, 10:14 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:... Gads, its hard to type while watching the Big Bang... :D :D
I love the Big Bang also!!!! ;) :D I too was there!!!! :ymblushing:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 19th, 2009, 10:48 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Chris that is an awesome IDEA!!!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: I can't wait for this weekend! CathyCA, her mom and I will be there all day for both the DUKE victory on the football field and then on the BBall court!!!! I am soo excited!!!!! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ LGD! LGD!!!! LGD!!!!!!!!!!

We will be bringing the following:
- Those Oatmeal Jiffy crunch bars I mentioned last week, but they'll be fresh!
- Broccoli Salad (this recipe is a wonderful, will post afterwards)
- Some bombers for drinking/sharing
- some traders
- maybe some mimosas stuff and that screw driver/spicy BM was a big hit last time
- surprise dessert!!!! (HAHAHAHA), I'll post that homemade recipe also when afterwards also, can't tip my hand!
I am devildeac and I highly approve of your ideas/selections. ;) :D
My wife makes an awesome broccoli salad. We'll be really anxious to taste yours/Cathy's. :drool:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 19th, 2009, 10:49 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:... Gads, its hard to type while watching the Big Bang... :D :D
I love the Big Bang also!!!! ;) :D I too was there!!!! :ymblushing:
You are an old 8-x but you ain't THAT old. :roll:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 19th, 2009, 10:50 pm

Paging TNTDevil.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 19th, 2009, 11:05 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote: To make Devil's Alley more creative, maybe Jason should judge the best tent each week with some sort of prize. That could make the alley very interesting. What do you think?
I think for next year this is an awesome idea...one maybe that Ozzie can pass along and that we can set the bar for. :D :ymapplause:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 19th, 2009, 11:13 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote: To make Devil's Alley more creative, maybe Jason should judge the best tent each week with some sort of prize. That could make the alley very interesting. What do you think?
I think for next year this is an awesome idea...one maybe that Ozzie can pass along and that we can set the bar for. :D :ymapplause:
I meant to say "each home game week". Like I said, its hard to type watching the Big Bang. :)) :))
TNTDevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by TNTDevil » October 20th, 2009, 12:41 am

devildeac wrote:Paging TNTDevil.
Huh? Wha...? What's goin' on?!?

This Saturday's events make this a very unique opportunity. A "Brunchgate/Lunchgate" combined with a "linnergate/tailgate". Heck, it's a GD WHOLEDAYGATE!!!! Given that this is the case, we need to plan accordingly. It's clear to me that two "menus" will be required. No?

TNTClan will be there +six or eight. For the early crowd, I'm gonna' bring Cinnamon-Raisin Swirl bread (v2.0) and maybe some French-Toast fixin's? (TBD). For the Lunchgate/Tailgate, I'll make an attempt to compliment Mile's chili with, ho-hum... wings (probably two varieties).

Then, because TNTClan will be attending the BB game, I'm thinking about something for hoops-gate like a simple and unassuming... say... hmmmm... I don't know... maybe... fire-roasted, spice-rubbed, sherry-molasses glazed, whole beef tenderloin? Damn. Sounds tasty... maybe I'll give it a spin? (It's a big SOB too, nearly 4 kilos, untrimmed, figure 3.5 kilos once prepped.)

I'll also do some bread (thinking sourdough) and some butter-pecan cookies. I'll probably add a starch too, just not sure which way I'll go... unless there's someone who wants to volunteer a starch (or maybe we'll have some of VDB's baked beans left over?).

And, of course, I'll have beverages. Lots and lots of beverages. :))

Tomorrow, if no one beats me to it, I'll consolidate the posts down to a roster and menus.

I like the banner idea but, if it's gonna' be a decorated bedsheet, we'll have to hang it in the trees or, between the trees and lamppost. If we had a professional banner made, we could hang it between the tent and the lamppost (so the team could walk under it) if we strapped a pole (via zip ties) to our tent. We could have a banner made (probably not in time for MD) from which we could hang our "special de jour".

Just my $.02 worth...
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 20th, 2009, 7:55 am

TNTDevil wrote:
devildeac wrote:Paging TNTDevil.
Huh? Wha...? What's goin' on?!?

This Saturday's events make this a very unique opportunity. A "Brunchgate/Lunchgate" combined with a "linnergate/tailgate". Heck, it's a GD WHOLEDAYGATE!!!! Given that this is the case, we need to plan accordingly. It's clear to me that two "menus" will be required. No?

TNTClan will be there +six or eight. For the early crowd, I'm gonna' bring Cinnamon-Raisin Swirl bread (v2.0) and maybe some French-Toast fixin's? (TBD). For the Lunchgate/Tailgate, I'll make an attempt to compliment Mile's chili with, ho-hum... wings (probably two varieties).

Then, because TNTClan will be attending the BB game, I'm thinking about something for hoops-gate like a simple and unassuming... say... hmmmm... I don't know... maybe... fire-roasted, spice-rubbed, sherry-molasses glazed, whole beef tenderloin? Damn. Sounds tasty... maybe I'll give it a spin? (It's a big SOB too, nearly 4 kilos, untrimmed, figure 3.5 kilos once prepped.)

I'll also do some bread (thinking sourdough) and some butter-pecan cookies. I'll probably add a starch too, just not sure which way I'll go... unless there's someone who wants to volunteer a starch (or maybe we'll have some of VDB's baked beans left over?).

And, of course, I'll have beverages. Lots and lots of beverages. :))

Tomorrow, if no one beats me to it, I'll consolidate the posts down to a roster and menus.

I like the banner idea but, if it's gonna' be a decorated bedsheet, we'll have to hang it in the trees or, between the trees and lamppost. If we had a professional banner made, we could hang it between the tent and the lamppost (so the team could walk under it) if we strapped a pole (via zip ties) to our tent. We could have a banner made (probably not in time for MD) from which we could hang our "special de jour".

Just my $.02 worth...
Most excellent. Do you realize Ozzie is bringing his wife's version of his mom's beef brisket?
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 20th, 2009, 8:59 am

I did put done to bring baked beans. I need a ball park count of heads. Last time, I made a double batch of beans, only 1 was needed. I do want to make sure to bring enough but don't want to do 2 batches if not needed.

I am so excited about this brunchgate. Its going to be our best. :) :) GO DUKE GTHC DROWN THE turtle :Clap: :Clap:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 20th, 2009, 9:53 am

I love the banner idea!

The players will still see the banner if it's not an overhead one. I'm thinking safety/liability issues here, and how are you going to secure the two 8' 2x4s so that thousands of fans can walk under the banner and not have those two 8' 2x4s fall on someone's head (like mine)? I like the idea of putting it off to the right side across from our tent. The players and Coach Cut will see it on their Devil Walk to the stadium.

Maybe we could include an invitation on the banner for the players' reverse Devil Walk: "Join us post-game for our world famous Deep-Fried Turtle Fritters."
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 20th, 2009, 11:26 am

CathyCA wrote: I'm thinking safety/liability issues here, and how are you going to secure the two 8' 2x4s so that thousands of fans can walk under the banner and not have those two 8' 2x4s fall on someone's head (like mine)?
That's a good thought. I'm thinking I'll make a sheet banner, and we can stretch it on the side of my tent (on the other side of the sidewalk) that will be facing the team as they walk past.
TNTDevil

Post by TNTDevil » October 20th, 2009, 11:34 am

devildeac wrote:Most excellent. Do you realize Ozzie is bringing his wife's version of his mom's beef brisket?
Of course, It wasn't my intention to overlook him. However, by his own admission he's going to tuck into that bad boy early so, I figured by gameday, there will be about one serving left ;).
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 20th, 2009, 11:44 am

TNTDevil wrote:
devildeac wrote:Most excellent. Do you realize Ozzie is bringing his wife's version of his mom's beef brisket?
Of course, It wasn't my intention to overlook him. However, by his own admission he's going to tuck into that bad boy early so, I figured by gameday, there will be about one serving left ;).
If you are going to do tenderloin (which sounds awesome) I might skip the burgers. So now I've got to figure what to bring besides beer. I'm thinking some kind of casserole. Also maybe guacamole with chips.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 20th, 2009, 11:50 am

Anybody got a full rundown of the menu? I want to make sure my planned contribution still makes sense.