Congratulations to...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Congratulations to...

Post by Rolvix » August 20th, 2009, 12:44 pm

devildeac wrote: Disagree. The 2 guys who owned the cheer and tumble gym our daughter trained at for aobut 6 years were really good guys and taught her squads some great routines, tumbling, stunting and safety issues. They were nice people, too, and one of the guys told us a GREAT unc cheer story if any one is interested...(heh-heh) ;)
Pray tell!
Class of 2014
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2009, 12:51 pm

CellR wrote:
devildeac wrote: Disagree. The 2 guys who owned the cheer and tumble gym our daughter trained at for aobut 6 years were really good guys and taught her squads some great routines, tumbling, stunting and safety issues. They were nice people, too, and one of the guys told us a GREAT unc cheer story if any one is interested...(heh-heh) ;)
Pray tell!
I was hoping you would ask... :))

One of the dudes was a unc cheerleader for 4 years and told us how a particular male student tried out for the squad for 4 consecutive years and was never selected as he just sucked so bad. His name...

Stuart Scott... :)) :)) =)) =))

I hate him. Absolutely despise him and hearing this just made me howl with laughter. I'd love to hear him tell THAT unc story on the air some time at the 4 letter sports channel.

More: :)) :)) =)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 20th, 2009, 12:56 pm

devildeac wrote:
CellR wrote:
Pray tell!

One of the dudes was a unc cheerleader for 4 years and told us how a particular male student tried out for the squad for 4 consecutive years and was never selected as he just sucked so bad. His name...

I hate him. Absolutely despise him and hearing this just made me howl with laughter. I'd love to hear him tell THAT unc story on the air some time at the 4 letter sports channel.

Wow! How depressing to try out all 4 years and not make the UNC cheerleading team...
:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Class of 2014
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2009, 12:59 pm

CellR wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Wow! How depressing to try out all 4 years and not make the UNC cheerleading team...
That should be unc, not UNC. I'm tempted, as a mod, to get up from my LazyBoy and edit your post... :roll: :))
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 20th, 2009, 1:09 pm

wilson wrote: And this is all of course not to mention that male cheerleaders are on the very short list of the worst things in the world.
CathyCA wrote: Um, no they're not. Male cheerleaders can be very cute and lots of fun.
Don't get me wrong; I'm sure the people who serve as male cheerleaders are generally fine individuals, nice people, upstanding citizens, blah blah blah. But I find the notion of male cheerleaders to be remarkably silly.
I smell a poll...
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 20th, 2009, 1:39 pm

devildeac wrote:
CellR wrote:
Pray tell!

I think it might be appropriate to email/PM (via the DBR) the story to Jay Bilas. He might find an appropriate time to ask mr. scott (If I don't capitalize unc, I see no reason to capitalize their proponents) about his cheerleading prowess... =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 20th, 2009, 1:41 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CellR wrote: quote="devildeac"
Disagree. The 2 guys who owned the cheer and tumble gym our daughter trained at for aobut 6 years were really good guys and taught her squads some great routines, tumbling, stunting and safety issues. They were nice people, too, and one of the guys told us a GREAT unc cheer story if any one is interested...(heh-heh) ;) /quote

Pray tell!

I think it might be appropriate to email/PM (via the DBR) the story to Jay Bilas. He might find an appropriate time to ask mr. scott (If I don't capitalize unc, I see no reason to capitalize their proponents) about his cheerleading prowess... =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Sounds like niece Michelle needs to be consulted on this one. :D
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 20th, 2009, 1:43 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote: I was hoping you would ask... :))

Ooo! Even better! Although how often is Michelle on the same set/broadcast at stuart scott? Jay is on a regular basis. Perhaps Michelle could get the word to Jay in a more timely fashion?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 20th, 2009, 2:18 pm

devildeac wrote:
CellR wrote:
devildeac wrote:

That should be unc, not UNC. I'm tempted, as a mod, to get up from my LazyBoy and edit your post... :roll: :))

It won't happen again, King DD.
Class of 2014
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 20th, 2009, 2:30 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:quote="devildeac"

I think it might be appropriate to email/PM (via the DBR) the story to Jay Bilas. He might find an appropriate time to ask mr. scott (If I don't capitalize unc, I see no reason to capitalize their proponents) about his cheerleading prowess... =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) /quote
Ooo! Even better! Although how often is Michelle on the same set/broadcast at stuart scott? Jay is on a regular basis. Perhaps Michelle could get the word to Jay in a more timely fashion?
Perhaps it can be a poll on SportsNation?
Life is good!
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 20th, 2009, 2:32 pm

wilson wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote: This is a rumor of a rumor, but I heard that they had some tumbling accidents and decided to get rid of the "high risk" stuff. When they did so, the need for male cheerleaders, which do a lot of the lifting and supporting in those moves, disappeared.

%%-
That's fact, not fiction. One of the girls wasn't caught on an elevated tumbling move (pyramid?) and broke her neck. The big lifts and throws were outlawed, the guys weren't needed anymore, and they were eliminated. I think the prohibition extends to the visiting teams as well (at football games, where the visitors bring their cheerleading teams.
And this is all of course not to mention that male cheerleaders are on the very short list of the worst things in the world.
I must disagree with your comment about male cheerleaders. You're just too young to know that it was ever any different at Duke!

There were about as many male cheerleaders as female cheerleaders when I was an undergraduate. The head cheerleader was always a guy during that era. In most cases, the male head cheerleader was also a leader on campus and provided strong leadership on the sidelines. It was common for male cheerleaders to belong to the same fraternities as the football or basketball players. Many of those guys have been as successful in life after Duke as any other group of Dukies you might compare them to. I remember one in particular who has done quite well in his career with Northwestern Mutual.... high level management. Other schools across the country continue to have male cheerleaders who are great leaders on the sidelines and who know how to muster support for the home team.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 20th, 2009, 3:21 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Um, I thought you said you were a :ymhiro:. I don't think Duke has had :ymhiro: cheerleaders for a very long time, if ever. You'd have to make some serious changes to be a Duke cheerleader, like become a o-+ . ;)

%%-
Yea, what he said. I just didn't read far enough. But hey, at least I got 2 more posts out of it. :oops: :roll: :D
Hey! You put words in my mouth! That was bjornolf's quote! MODS!!!!! I've been wronged! By a mod!!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 20th, 2009, 3:42 pm

I've come to realize how juvenile this was, but I remember my friends and I sitting around as youngsters in high school thinking that it would be kinda cool to be a male cheerleader, if nothing else than because of where they get to put there hands on pretty female cheerleaders. We used to watch college football and when they'd come back from commercial and we'd see the male cheerleaders holding up the females with one hand on their posteriors and debate which colleges it would be best to go to as a male cheerleader. I know, teenage boys are gross.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 20th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Back in 1983 or 1984, the cheerleaders were doing a stunt in Cameron Indoor during a timeout. The girl cheerleader who went to the top, Shannon Marsh, slipped and fell and hit her head on the floor. They had to stop the game for a while until the paramedics could secure her to the board and take her out of the gym.

The next day, Coach K sent Shannon a handwritten note. <----This was very rare, as the only persons who got handwritten notes from him were his very tippy-top recruits. He was extremely concerned about Shannon. He may have even paid her a visit in the hospital. I don't remember that detail as it was not my responsibility to keep up with what went on outside of the office.

Sometime thereafter, Mr. Butters told the cheerleaders that there could be no more stunting on the hardwood floors. And after that, well, there was no need really for guy cheerleaders, so they sort of went "poof."

The good news in getting rid of the guy cheerleaders was that it opened up spots for so many more girls to cheer. When they had guy cheerleaders, there were only 5 spots for girls to cheer. Only 5 girl cheerleaders on campus. You can bet that the tryouts were competitive, and that when so many girls didn't make the squad, there were a lot of hurt feelings.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2009, 5:11 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Great idea!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2009, 5:13 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote: quote="devildeac"
Disagree. The 2 guys who owned the cheer and tumble gym our daughter trained at for aobut 6 years were really good guys and taught her squads some great routines, tumbling, stunting and safety issues. They were nice people, too, and one of the guys told us a GREAT unc cheer story if any one is interested...(heh-heh) ;) /quote

Who dat? Or, I guess better put, why her or what connection does she have?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2009, 5:16 pm

CellR wrote:
CellR wrote:
devildeac wrote:

It won't happen again, King DD.
I'll be watching... :roll: :)) ;)
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 20th, 2009, 5:18 pm

devildeac wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: quote="devildeac" quote="devildeac"

More: :)) :)) =)) =)) /quote
Who dat? Or, I guess better put, why her or what connection does she have?
My brother's oldest child is on ESPN - a show called SportsNation - ESPN2 at 4pm Eastern and repeated at midnight.
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2009, 5:18 pm

devildeac wrote:
Um, I thought you said you were a :ymhiro:. I don't think Duke has had :ymhiro: cheerleaders for a very long time, if ever. You'd have to make some serious changes to be a Duke cheerleader, like become a o-+ . ;)

%%-
Yea, what he said. I just didn't read far enough. But hey, at least I got 2 more posts out of it. :oops: :roll: :D
Hey! You put words in my mouth! That was bjornolf's quote! MODS!!!!! I've been wronged! By a mod!!
Settle down. I'll bring an extra hand-crafted ale to Brunchgate for you. :oops: :roll: ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2009, 5:20 pm

CathyCA wrote:Back in 1983 or 1984, the cheerleaders were doing a stunt in Cameron Indoor during a timeout. The girl cheerleader who went to the top, Shannon Marsh, slipped and fell and hit her head on the floor. They had to stop the game for a while until the paramedics could secure her to the board and take her out of the gym.

The next day, Coach K sent Shannon a handwritten note. <----This was very rare, as the only persons who got handwritten notes from him were his very tippy-top recruits. He was extremely concerned about Shannon. He may have even paid her a visit in the hospital. I don't remember that detail as it was not my responsibility to keep up with what went on outside of the office.

Sometime thereafter, Mr. Butters told the cheerleaders that there could be no more stunting on the hardwood floors. And after that, well, there was no need really for guy cheerleaders, so they sort of went "poof."

The good news in getting rid of the guy cheerleaders was that it opened up spots for so many more girls to cheer. When they had guy cheerleaders, there were only 5 spots for girls to cheer. Only 5 girl cheerleaders on campus. You can bet that the tryouts were competitive, and that when so many girls didn't make the squad, there were a lot of hurt feelings.
I figgered the facts/rest of the story might show up here eventually. :D

Thanks for posting this.