Men getting in touch with the softer side

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: Men getting in touch with the softer side

Post by DukieInKansas » August 18th, 2009, 4:50 pm

colchar wrote:As for my 'softer' skills: I can cook and am rather good at it. I bake (from scratch). I sew. I do the dishes almost every night but that is mostly because my dipshit of a roommate doesn't** and my dishes and pots are kind of expensive so I am rather particular about them. That's another part of my soft side - I almost always browse for kitchenware (dishes and pots) when shopping. I don't need new stuff, I just like to look.

**We were watching TV recently when an ad came on for some new dishwasher soap. During the commercial I remarked that we need a dishwasher in our house and, without missing a beat, he turned to me and said "I don't, I've already got one!" Dickhead.
Is your room mate a female? I had a room mate that never did the dishes. I would, occasionally, let them sit to see if she would break down and do them. Nope - she would actually go pull out a knife, fork, and plate from the stack and just wash them to use. I don't think she ever did a sink full of dishes that entire semester.
Life is good!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 18th, 2009, 4:54 pm

DukieInKansas wrote: Is your room mate a female? I had a room mate that never did the dishes. I would, occasionally, let them sit to see if she would break down and do them. Nope - she would actually go pull out a knife, fork, and plate from the stack and just wash them to use. I don't think she ever did a sink full of dishes that entire semester.
That's one of the kids' chores here. If they get excessively slack on doing them, I take every dirty dish out of the sink and put them in their bed. I only had to do that once to each.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 18th, 2009, 5:40 pm

DAY-UMMMMMM... NICE avatar, devildeac!! :-bd

If bjornolf does an RCMP (Mountie) emoticon, would colchar use it?

NAH!!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 18th, 2009, 5:42 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
colchar wrote:As for my 'softer' skills: I can cook and am rather good at it. I bake (from scratch). I sew. I do the dishes almost every night but that is mostly because my dipshit of a roommate doesn't** and my dishes and pots are kind of expensive so I am rather particular about them. That's another part of my soft side - I almost always browse for kitchenware (dishes and pots) when shopping. I don't need new stuff, I just like to look.

**We were watching TV recently when an ad came on for some new dishwasher soap. During the commercial I remarked that we need a dishwasher in our house and, without missing a beat, he turned to me and said "I don't, I've already got one!" Dickhead.
Is your room mate a female? I had a room mate that never did the dishes. I would, occasionally, let them sit to see if she would break down and do them. Nope - she would actually go pull out a knife, fork, and plate from the stack and just wash them to use. I don't think she ever did a sink full of dishes that entire semester.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) I can see this happening! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 18th, 2009, 5:43 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote: Is your room mate a female? I had a room mate that never did the dishes. I would, occasionally, let them sit to see if she would break down and do them. Nope - she would actually go pull out a knife, fork, and plate from the stack and just wash them to use. I don't think she ever did a sink full of dishes that entire semester.
That's one of the kids' chores here. If they get excessively slack on doing them, I take every dirty dish out of the sink and put them in their bed. I only had to do that once to each.
Now I can't imagine you hollering, but... how did you pull this off once the dishes were in position???? :-?
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 19th, 2009, 1:29 am

DukieInKansas wrote:

No, my roommate is a guy. He will do dishes, just not right away. He'll leave them to sit for a while or will leave them overnight and do them the next day. As I mentioned, my pots and dishes are kind of expensive and I would prefer that they be taken care of so I simply can't let them sit unwashed. He would do them, eventually, if left to his own devices (he wouldn't clean them quite as well as I do, but he would clean them). I do get my revenge by never vacuuming - if I have to deal with the kitchen he has to deal with the carpets. Sounds fair to me.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 19th, 2009, 7:48 pm

colchar wrote: No, my roommate is a guy. He will do dishes, just not right away. He'll leave them to sit for a while or will leave them overnight and do them the next day. As I mentioned, my pots and dishes are kind of expensive and I would prefer that they be taken care of so I simply can't let them sit unwashed. He would do them, eventually, if left to his own devices (he wouldn't clean them quite as well as I do, but he would clean them). I do get my revenge by never vacuuming - if I have to deal with the kitchen he has to deal with the carpets. Sounds fair to me.
I am thinking, you appreciation for fine cookware IS AWESOME, but why the HECK are YOU letting you room mater use your cookware to begin with?
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 19th, 2009, 8:31 pm

cl15876 wrote:
I am thinking, you appreciation for fine cookware IS AWESOME, but why the HECK are YOU letting you room mater use your cookware to begin with?

We're friends, have been for years - his brother and I were roommates for about five years and this guy and I have been roommates for about three years (on two separate occasions). Plus, there isn't enough room in the cupboards for two sets of dishes, pots, etc. He furnished the living room (I left my stuff in storage at my parent's place) and I furnished the kitchen. Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 19th, 2009, 10:02 pm

colchar wrote:
cl15876 wrote:

We're friends, have been for years - his brother and I were roommates for about five years and this guy and I have been roommates for about three years (on two separate occasions). Plus, there isn't enough room in the cupboards for two sets of dishes, pots, etc. He furnished the living room (I left my stuff in storage at my parent's place) and I furnished the kitchen. Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.
I think you made a good choice!!!! Thanks for enlightening me!!! Reminds me of one of my protegee's ( a buddy of mind) and he wasn't feeling too good and we've never stayed together in the same hotel room unless there were separate rooms, but OMG, He really scared me last year went we went to Ocracoke together.... seems as if one of us have a REAL problem with noise while we sleep (aka snoring), and I got to see a side of Dr. Jeckle/Mr. Hide that I've never seen! I attributed it to is state of mind, but the stay was short lived ..... I got tired of sleeping out on the deck or in my car, so a real confrontation didn't ensue!!!!! :D
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » August 20th, 2009, 2:24 am

This is a very dated but I've seen Christine play it live with more current references...

"Sensitive New-Age Guys" from the Christine Lavin LP "Attainable Love"

Spoken: Sing along, it will help you with your male bonding kind-of-thing...

Who like to talk about their feelings?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who's into crystal, who's into healing?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who like to dress like Richard Simmons?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who are hard to tell from women?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who like to cry at weddings, who think "Rambo" is upsetting?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who tape "Thirty-Something" on their VCR's?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who's got child-on-board stickers on their cars?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)

Whose last names are hyphenated?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who loved "Three Men and a Baby", a movie I hated?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who's consciousness is constantly raising?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Whose tax-free income is amazing?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who think that red meat is disgusting?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who's into UFO's, channelling, and dusting?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who believes us when we say we have pre-menstrual syndrome?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who doesn't know who plays in the Seattle Kingdome?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)

Spoken: Let's ask these guys who plays in the Seattle Kingdome...
Hey, do you know who plays in the Seattle Kingdome?
(Mumble...mumble...)
Oh, good answer, good answer!

Who likes music that's repetitious?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who likes music that's repetitious?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who's concerned about your orgasm?
(silence)
Spoken: ...Hey, wait a minute, wait a minute, you guys said you were sensitive?
(Well, Christine...we're sensitive -- but we're not *that* sensitive!)

I guess it's more important that they have 'em
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who carries the baby on his back?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who thinks that Shirley McLaine is on the inside track?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)
Who sings on singalongs even when they can't stand stupid singalong songs?
(Sensitive New-Age Guys)

(Spoken: Thank you for sharing.)
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 20th, 2009, 6:02 am

Who finds The Three Stooges repulsive?

Not me.

:D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » August 20th, 2009, 10:41 am

captmojo wrote:Who finds The Three Stooges repulsive?

Not me.

I've never seen it... :ymsigh: :ymsigh: :ymsigh:
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 20th, 2009, 11:13 am

CellR wrote:I've never seen it... :ymsigh: :ymsigh: :ymsigh:
This is a travesty. I bet you don't know what it's like to sit and watch cartoons all morning on Saturday either.
I weep for the future of this nation. **==
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2009, 12:22 pm

captmojo wrote:Who finds The Three Stooges repulsive?

Not me.

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk... :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 20th, 2009, 12:48 pm

wilson wrote:
CellR wrote:I've never seen it... :ymsigh: :ymsigh: :ymsigh:
This is a travesty. I bet you don't know what it's like to sit and watch cartoons all morning on Saturday either.
I weep for the future of this nation. **==
Actually, I did do that for a good part of my childhood. :D
I would say that most of the kids that are 3 or more years younger than me probably never did that.
They also watched those horrible TV shows (I don't even know the names) instead of Doug, Hey Arnold, and Rugrats.
Class of 2014
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 21st, 2009, 10:48 pm

CellR wrote:
I've never seen it... :ymsigh: :ymsigh: :ymsigh:
Superstitious, eh? b-(
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 22nd, 2009, 6:52 am

Not repulsive, but I don't really get it. But then I am accused of not having a funny bone.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 22nd, 2009, 1:16 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Not repulsive, but I don't really get it. But then I am accused of not having a funny bone.

I have a rather well-developed funny bone but have just never found the Stooges to be funny. Same goes for Family Guy.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 1:24 pm

colchar wrote:I have a rather well-developed funny bone but have just never found the Stooges to be funny. Same goes for Family Guy.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 22nd, 2009, 2:28 pm

colchar wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Not repulsive, but I don't really get it. But then I am accused of not having a funny bone.
Same goes for Family Guy.
It is on this point where we part ways.