Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Trump Vs Biden --- The Election Thread

Post by OPK » July 31st, 2020, 9:15 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 9:01 pm
Wander wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:46 pm
At... that other place...
For future reference, it has always been called "Over Yonder", or "OY" for short. :p
I miss game chats . . . .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2020, 9:22 pm

McConnell tells GOP folks feeling the heat to feel free to run away if they have to.
Sen. Mitch McConnell is allowing Republican Senate candidates to do whatever it takes to salvage their campaigns ahead of what Republicans increasingly fear could be a devastating election for their party.
Not sure Trump himself will be on board with that strategy, will be interesting to see.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics ... index.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 1st, 2020, 6:23 am

Anyone think banning TikTok will make Trump extra popular with the youth voters in the United States? :-\ :-?
OPK

Post by OPK » August 1st, 2020, 7:06 am

August 1st, 2020, 6:23 am
Anyone think banning TikTok will make Trump extra popular with the youth voters in the United States? :-\ :-?
Not with me. I‘m TikTok popular.
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » August 1st, 2020, 7:59 am

I have three kids and only one of them is not really bothered about the election. One way to upset her would be to ban TikTok. She will be pissed and probably very motivated to vote. I think this is probably another one of those outrageous things that Trump says he will do and doesn’t do crap. He will have forgotten in one week.
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » August 1st, 2020, 8:40 am

JV001 wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 5:03 pm
As for the Presidential Election, I don't see how Trump can come back from being so far down in the polls.
Emerson College (rated A- by 538) released a National Poll yesterday that shows Biden up by only 4 points 50 to 46 so I not sure how far down Trump really is.

https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.c ... lic-spaces

I’m in the minority that I believe Biden’s VP selection is going to be a factor. Do not underestimate the power of Racism. Once he selects a black women as his running mate the polls are going to tighten.

For the record, I am a Moderate Conservative, however I also believe Trump is a threat to our democratic society. He must be defeated on November 3.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » August 1st, 2020, 8:46 am

As a Department of Defense employee, I was directed NOT to download TikTok onto my iPhone. This was at least six or eight months ago.

TikTok is a threat to our national security. You TikTok users are all Communists Agents by proxy. :D
Furniture

Post by Furniture » August 1st, 2020, 8:50 am

Bob Green wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 8:40 am
JV001 wrote:

I’m in the minority that I believe Biden’s VP selection is going to be a factor. Do not underestimate the power of Racism. Once he selects a black women as his running mate the polls are going to tighten.
You may very well be correct. Could it also go the other way though? If Trump is smart (Which we know he is not) he will not say anything about her. If he attacks her, finds one of his nicknames it could just reinforce the the anti trumpers. It’s going to be an interesting ride.

The ‘How popular is DT” poll numbers on 538 have tightened up the last few days. 54.8 vs 41.2. Still a big gap..But a couple of points closer...
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
Phredd3
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Phredd3 » August 1st, 2020, 8:53 am

Bluedog wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 4:13 pm
Biden 388 - Trump 150

Holy cow if that comes to pass. Still don't believe that TX and GA will go Biden.
My great fear is that the Bernie Bros and moderates will see stuff like this and not bother coming to the polls because the election is such a sure thing. We all know that a lot of the people who are saying they will vote for Biden are actually voting against Trump. Biden does not inspire. But he still needs the loose holders to stay on the train until they actually cast a ballot.

I wish the media would emphasize that every single time they publish a poll result. Heck, I think that one reason Hillary lost in the first place (amoung the many, many reasons) is because a lot of people saw the 4-point lead and said, "Great. I'm off the hook and don't have to vote this time." Yes, Biden has a bigger lead at the moment, but it's not big enough to be sure this far out.

This election is not over, and won't be until November 3rd.
Still_mtn_devil
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by Still_mtn_devil » August 1st, 2020, 9:00 am

OPK wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 9:15 pm
July 31st, 2020, 9:01 pm
Wander wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:46 pm
At... that other place...
For future reference, it has always been called "Over Yonder", or "OY" for short. :p
I miss game chats . . . .
I miss games.
It feels weird being the "new guy," but trust me, I'm not really "new."
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » August 1st, 2020, 9:00 am

OPK wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 5:29 pm
Preparing the life boats ahead of abandoning the ship?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics ... index.html
The most interesting thing about that article is that Republicans need McConnell's permission to distance themselves from the party leader. Trump is not the only fascist in the U.S. government today.

Can anyone even imagine someone ruling the Democrats to this extent? It's almost inconceivable. Those who think there's no difference between the parties need look no further than that one thing.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 1st, 2020, 9:24 am

Bob Green wrote:

I have no doubt this is true but it also may inspire more minorities to get out and vote. The two factors could cancel each other out, or even increase liberal numbers.
OPK

Post by OPK » August 1st, 2020, 11:30 am

August 1st, 2020, 9:24 am
Bob Green wrote:

I have no doubt this is true but it also may inspire more minorities to get out and vote. The two factors could cancel each other out, or even increase liberal numbers.
I wished I shared your optimism. But Bob may well be right.

I guess I’m just a Pessimistic Peter these days.
dudog

Post by dudog » August 1st, 2020, 12:18 pm

Has anyone else noticed this absurdity?

When you go to worldometers for the U.S., and scroll down to the deaths graph and daily update, there is a Trump ad by the Trump Make America Great Again Committee. It's been there for a while, different iterations. Today's ad asks you to "Add Your Name", because "President Trump needs to know he has your support during this unprecedented time".

Such a needy little bastard. I almost feel sorry for him. Almost. No, not at all.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
OPK

Post by OPK » August 1st, 2020, 12:41 pm

dudog wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 12:18 pm
Has anyone else noticed this absurdity?

When you go to worldometers for the U.S., and scroll down to the deaths graph and daily update, there is a Trump ad by the Trump Make America Great Again Committee. It's been there for a while, different iterations. Today's ad asks you to "Add Your Name", because "President Trump needs to know he has your support during this unprecedented time".

Such a needy little bastard. I almost feel sorry for him. Almost. No, not at all.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
It sounds like Donnie needs a hug:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/01/politics ... index.html
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » August 1st, 2020, 2:21 pm

Bob Green wrote:
JV001 wrote:
As for the Presidential Election, I don't see how Trump can come back from being so far down in the polls.
I am a Moderate Conservative, however I also believe Trump is a threat to our democratic society. He must be defeated on November 3.
IMO, moderate conservatism is what’s left of American conservatism.

It’s commonly claimed that Trump’s opponents suffer from Trump Derangement Syndrome. A much stronger case can be made that it’s his supporters who are — temporarily? tbd — deranged. Trump bit them and they went mad. Dems and that remnant of the former, and formerly conservative, Repub Party who oppose Trump are hardly deranged. They believe in the Constitution, representative democracy, the rule of law, competence, decency.

At least at the edges of 2 of Trump’s tripartite base (not sure about evangelicals), he seems to be leaking support. Actual conservatives, many of whom see themselves as moderate conservatives, are these days very uncomfortable with Trump’s incompetence in dealing with Covid. They tire of his constant lying, his buffoonery, his dog-whistle/bullhorn racism, his phoniness. Trump is the very dictionary definition of a sociopath. Lacking a conscience, he is utterly unbound by normal social mores, incapable of empathy, guilt, remorse, admitting error, apologizing. He is delusional, self-obsessed. They see all these things, every single day, in Trump’s TV appearances and tweets. Thus, some of what I categorize as come-home-to-Trump Republicans find, reluctantly, sadly, but also angrily, that their Republican Party is no more.

Quietly in some cases, fiercely in others (e.g., Lincoln Project and other similar Repub groups), moderate conservatives believe Trump and his elected Republican Party enablers pose an existential threat to our constitutional democratic republic. [I know I have repeated this phrase in several posts. It cannot be said frequently enough in the next few months.] Further, they think he threatens conservatism. They hope the tens of millions of their formerly fellow Republicans who will soon vote for Trump a second time in 2020 can be reclaimed going forward from their temporary Trump derangement. They hope to reconstitute their Republican Party and return it to conservative principles in the coming years
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 1st, 2020, 3:02 pm

So happy to see this thread - welcome, everyone! So many of you believe as I do. I’m officially registered independent. I will triple mask and wear a hazmat suit if necessary to vote him out. If it was feasible to move to Kentucky and vote against McConnell I’d do that too. I think he is equally dangerous.

I got dinged OY for going off on a rant about Cheeto Hitler declaring churches as essential and allowing them to open. Of course, it made many of his core supporters happy, but it also caused untold clusters of cases. Same with his earlier claims about the virus being a hoax, created by Democrats, to make him look bad. Or, his insistence in holding a campaign rally in Tulsa, no masks required. Objectively speaking, it’s counterproductive to encourage his followers to engage in behavior that endangers their lives. He needs them in November.

As a former TX resident, I wouldn’t discount the chances of a Biden victory there. It was actually closer than you’d think in 2016. The large metro areas are becoming more heavily Democratic, and it might be enough to finally tip the balance. I’ve heard MO is close as well, but I see TX flipping before I see it happening here.

Regarding TikTok: the cynical side of me sees that as retaliation for the Tulsa and New Hampshire rallies. I think he is trying to squelch that particular movement. I think the instigators are bright enough to find another way to get the word out.

I’m currently reading Mary Trump’s book. It explains a lot about why he is such a toxic narcissist.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
dudog

Post by dudog » August 1st, 2020, 3:06 pm

gumbomoop wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 2:21 pm
They hope the tens of millions of their formerly fellow Republicans who will soon vote for Trump a second time in 2020 can be reclaimed going forward from their temporary Trump derangement. They hope to reconstitute their Republican Party and return it to conservative principles in the coming years
I don't think they are going to. These people are not going back under their rock. Too much money to be made from them as well. I'm not sure all of Fox is comfortable with it, but it's given Tucker and the like more power, and Trump, Trump Jr. and their ilk a new revenue stream. They're gonna exploit the heck out of this and milk it dry.

I think the Rs are going to be splintered and there's going to be a generation solid D control. Which isn't necessarily a good thing (I like it when they keep each other in check), but it's certainly better than the past 4 years. I'm probably wrong, the Ds will overreach, and we'll be back to "normal" in a few years.

Example: I've got a fairly good friend who said to me a few weeks ago 'What's with these protests? They're a minority, why should they have the same rights as me?'. I had never heard a speck of racism from her before. I haven't spoken with her since, and I'm not going to completely snub her, but our relationship will never be the same.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 1st, 2020, 3:08 pm

JWill Stan wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 12:01 pm
Take 2 - for some reason after previewing my post, it vanished. I promise it was quite intelligent and pithy. This one, should it succeed, won't be as good, alas.

First - thanks for spawning this from what was clearly becoming a strained thread over at DBR. As I told Jason, he is in a no-win situation over there.

Second - I echo a few of the commenters here and am glad we can call a fascist a fascist and a liar a liar here without warnings or other finger-wagging.

In my previous post I included a link to a Vanity Fair article that exposes the corrupt incompetency of the lack of pandemic response, and lays a lot of the blame on Jared:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07 ... o-thin-air

The kicker for me was the reference to the "political strategy" of thinking the virus would be limited to "blue" states, which is both insane, stupid, and beyond incompetent. Fuckers:
Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.
Lastly - I will once again put in a plug for the DeTrumpify chrome extension which got me a warning over there - it continues to be a source of joy, and yes I am 12

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... n?hl=en-US
Thank you so much fir the link. It has brightened my life. I will be sharing it with my older sister’s kids, all twentysomethings, who are the only other anti-Cheeto people in my immediate family. (Apparently I’ve been brainwashed...)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 1st, 2020, 3:27 pm

Bob Green wrote:
JV001 wrote:
Emerson College (rated A- by 538) released a National Poll yesterday that shows Biden up by only 4 points 50 to 46 so I not sure how far down Trump really is.

https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.c ... lic-spaces

For the record, I am a Moderate Conservative, however I also believe Trump is a threat to our democratic society. He must be defeated on November 3.
Bob, agree with all of this. Your description fits me as well (although, to my father, I’m a d@mn liberal). And, I completely agree that the VP pick will be huge. Personally, I don’t think Hillary’s VP pick helped her at all, and I do think Palin hurt McCain.
-- Albert Einstein