Moral Support Needed

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Moral Support Needed

Post by bjornolf » August 10th, 2009, 7:41 am

ArkieDukie wrote:At this risk of sounding like the PPB, this is why we need some sort of health care reform. Insurance companies won't cover prevention, even though it would ultimately be cheaper. The examples of this are endless. I wasn't aware of the Chantix one, but it doesn't surprise me. Add it to the long, growing list. And people wonder why health care costs are so high.

Stepping down from soap box...
Not to continue the PPB discussion, but I wasn't aware that Obama's plan would address that particular problem at all. Government insurance, like Champus, the one most military personnel have, certainly hasn't done any of that for MY parents. Bureaucracy and red tape are NOT conducive to appreciating the benefits of "preventative health care". Heck, the government has rules IN PLACE that PREVENTED the USPTO, where my wife works, from building parking structures and office space that would meet their needs in even five years (they were hiring 1000 people per year at the time) when they gave them the money to build a giant facility in Carlyle, Virginia. They could ONLY build to current specifications. They fudged it to get just enough for when the campus was planned to be finished. Within a month, they were already having space problems, which is why they moved from Crystal City in the first place. They've had to pay out bunches of money to keep some of their rental space in Crystal City because of this. You think a government that's that short-sighted is going to take a proper approach to health care, worrying about what MIGHT happen to you in several years when they can save some money on you now? Heck, the way they see it, a bus could hit you tomorrow, and then they'd have wasted all the "preventative" money.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Obama's plan is all about that. But I just don't see the bean counters and bureaucrats going for that when all is said and done.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 10th, 2009, 9:07 am

Avoiding a PPB-esque wrangle - I think we could all agree that there are changes need in our current health care system - when a 41 year old woman (a former co-worker) DIES while the insurance company figures out if she really needs that treatment the system is wonked. Exactly what changes I wouldn't risk debating x_x 'nuff said.

Meanwhile, back at the quest to quit - following the Chantix plan (inlcuding their marginally hokey get-quit.com) to the letter. Get-Quit actually has a 24x7 talk me down off the bridge hotline (or away from the cigarette) hotline (ironically talking on the phone at home is one my triggers!). Thus far their plan has been nothing out of the ordinary - tracking what you smoke identifying triggers etc. Once I hit my quit date (that would 8/12 for those playing the home game) they call me every night at a prescribed time to see how I'm doing.
So far no side effects from the Chantix - almost...was in a hurry to get out the door Saturday am and forgot to eat, just took the pill. Bad plan. Quick stop at a convenience store for some food and I was fine. (nauseau seems to be the number one issue with folks talking chantix)

If Chantix & I fail my doctors next plan is a body cast and a feeding tube (really - he told me so :D ) :-ss
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 10th, 2009, 9:11 am

Windsor - wishing you success on your quest for a smoke-free life! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 10th, 2009, 9:15 am

windsor wrote:Avoiding a PPB-esque wrangle - I think we could all agree that there are changes need in our current health care system - when a 41 year old woman (a former co-worker) DIES while the insurance company figures out if she really needs that treatment the system is wonked. Exactly what changes I wouldn't risk debating x_x 'nuff said.

Meanwhile, back at the quest to quit - following the Chantix plan (inlcuding their marginally hokey get-quit.com) to the letter. Get-Quit actually has a 24x7 talk me down off the bridge hotline (or away from the cigarette) hotline (ironically talking on the phone at home is one my triggers!). Thus far their plan has been nothing out of the ordinary - tracking what you smoke identifying triggers etc. Once I hit my quit date (that would 8/12 for those playing the home game) they call me every night at a prescribed time to see how I'm doing.
So far no side effects from the Chantix - almost...was in a hurry to get out the door Saturday am and forgot to eat, just took the pill. Bad plan. Quick stop at a convenience store for some food and I was fine. (nauseau seems to be the number one issue with folks talking chantix)

If Chantix & I fail my doctors next plan is a body cast and a feeding tube (really - he told me so :D ) :-ss
Talking on the phone was a trigger for my mom, too. Unfortunately, she didn't quit soon enough so I'm glad you are doing this. Vibes for being a successful quitter. :ymhug:
Life is good!
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 10th, 2009, 9:28 am

I feel for ya windsor. I left my habit in California so that puts me around two months. For me, the first few weeks were the toughest. Now it gets easier and easier every day. Hang in there, you can do it.
sMiles
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 10th, 2009, 9:40 am

Miles wrote:I feel for ya windsor. I left my habit in California so that puts me around two months. For me, the first few weeks were the toughest. Now it gets easier and easier every day. Hang in there, you can do it.
Did you use anything to quit Miles? Or do the cold turkey root?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Miles

Post by Miles » August 10th, 2009, 9:51 am

windsor wrote:
Miles wrote:I feel for ya windsor. I left my habit in California so that puts me around two months. For me, the first few weeks were the toughest. Now it gets easier and easier every day. Hang in there, you can do it.
Did you use anything to quit Miles? Or do the cold turkey root?
I had been cutting back for over a year. I cut out some of my rituals, like the 10:00 AM smoke break and the smoke on the way home from work for examples. When it was time, I went cold turkey. No drugs, no gum, no patches, just no more smoking. For me, the idea of using aides made me feel like I was too dependent on the drug and I didn't like the idea. I like the idea of feeling like I was in the control, sorta like: "I don't need any damn drugs to kick your ass Mr. Habit!!!"

One thing that really helped me, is that I could lean on my neighbor (an ex-smoker) and talk about the times I really wanted a cigarette. We'd reminisce, and bitch and moan for a while until the conversation eventually led to another topic.
sMiles
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 10th, 2009, 11:58 am

Miles wrote:I had been cutting back for over a year. I cut out some of my rituals, like the 10:00 AM smoke break and the smoke on the way home from work for examples. When it was time, I went cold turkey. No drugs, no gum, no patches, just no more smoking. For me, the idea of using aides made me feel like I was too dependent on the drug and I didn't like the idea. I like the idea of feeling like I was in the control, sorta like: "I don't need any damn drugs to kick your ass Mr. Habit!!!"

One thing that really helped me, is that I could lean on my neighbor (an ex-smoker) and talk about the times I really wanted a cigarette. We'd reminisce, and bitch and moan for a while until the conversation eventually led to another topic.
I think cold turkey is harder in the first week or two, but it gets all the 'pain' out of the way at once. If I could lock myself in the house for a week I might try cold turkey - prior experience tells me I would be evil, wicked, nasty and mean ~x( (and that's if you catch me in a good mood).

I do know someone who has been on the nicotine gum for years and years - never went back to smoking but can't kick the nicotine. I guess the gum is better than cigarettes, but that certainly isn't ideal.

Cutting out the rituals is important....I have a new morning routine planned out (that doesn't inlcude sitting on my porch with my coffee and cigarettes) I've told all my smokin' friends at work NOT to come by and ask me if I want to go downstairs or to give me any cigarettes - most of them are watching to see how Chantix works for me...one or two may be joining me quite soon. As luck would have it, they are getting ready to move the smoking area to an inconvient location which will help- frankly even as a smoker the current areas were STUPID. (we're in a five building complex arranged in a circle connected behind the buildings by covered 'habit trails' the current smoking areas are covered porches at the back door of each building, which means you have to wade through the cloud of smoke if you're going to another building - or take the 'street' route which is hotter and much longer) . At least I'll be able to walk building to building without going through the temptation zone.
Miles

Post by Miles » August 10th, 2009, 12:08 pm

windsor wrote: I've told all my smokin' friends
This is huge! Don't forget to tell a close, empathetic, non-smoking friend either. It helped me to have someone hold me accountable for my promise. It really helped that the person was very kind, and not going to be in my face about it either! If I wanted to smoke, they'd kindly remind me of my promise and give me positive reinforcements:
"Think of the money you'll save"
"Food will start tasting better"
"There's no way in hell I'll kiss you if you're a smoker"
sMiles
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 10th, 2009, 12:14 pm

Miles wrote:
This is huge! Don't forget to tell a close, empathetic, non-smoking friend either. It helped me to have someone hold me accountable for my promise. It really helped that the person was very kind, and not going to be in my face about it either! If I wanted to smoke, they'd kindly remind me of my promise and give me positive reinforcements:
I've told EVERYONE I know - which is something I didn't do the last time I quit - was afraid I'd be embarassed if I failed. I did quit for a few months then went back (in a 60 day period my grandmohter died, a close friend died of cancer - while at friends funeral my mother in law was rushed to the hospital - she died hours later...and finally the company I was with for 7 years closed. On my way home after being 'involuntarily leisured' I bought a carton of cigarettes)

I've fortunate to have lots of people routing for me - including all the great Crazie Talkers...I'm hoping those famous CT vibes will be just the ticket help me dump the cigarettes for good.

Funny thing - last time I quit food did NOT taste better - everything tasted awful (awful probably = different). I was sooo disappointed!
Miles

Post by Miles » August 10th, 2009, 12:29 pm

windsor wrote:
Miles wrote:
I've told EVERYONE I know - which is something I didn't do the last time I quit - was afraid I'd be embarassed if I failed. I did quit for a few months then went back (in a 60 day period my grandmohter died, a close friend died of cancer - while at friends funeral my mother in law was rushed to the hospital - she died hours later...and finally the company I was with for 7 years closed. On my way home after being 'involuntarily leisured' I bought a carton of cigarettes)
I quit a few times too, only to fall victim to some sort of horrible day where I felt like cigarettes were exactly what I needed to feel better or ease the pain. Sadly, I'd just wake up the next still miserable from whatever cause, and feeling guilty about smoking again.

You definitely got tons of vibes coming from me. Feel free to chat me up anytime you wanna blow off some steam.
I've fortunate to have lots of people routing for me - including all the great Crazie Talkers...I'm hoping those famous CT vibes will be just the ticket help me dump the cigarettes for good.

Funny thing - last time I quit food did NOT taste better - everything tasted awful (awful probably = different). I was sooo disappointed!
sMiles
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 11th, 2009, 8:47 am

Sending vibes to you Windsor, to have a stress free smokeless day. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
I worship the Blue Devil!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 8:51 am

TillyGalore wrote:Sending vibes to you Windsor, to have a stress free smokeless day. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
:ymhug: and vibes from me too. I'm always trying to get my friends to quit. They regularly get pretty annoyed with me. There are a million reasons to quit smoking (although, true confession, I smoke about two cigarettes a year), and you've got a bunch of us here pulling for you. :-bd :ymapplause:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 11th, 2009, 8:58 am

wilson wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:Sending vibes to you Windsor, to have a stress free smokeless day. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
:ymhug: and vibes from me too. I'm always trying to get my friends to quit. They regularly get pretty annoyed with me. There are a million reasons to quit smoking (although, true confession, I smoke about two cigarettes a year), and you've got a bunch of us here pulling for you. :-bd :ymapplause:
Thank you both!! So far so good - Chantix seems to be doing exactly what is should - no side effects to speak of. woo hoo :D :D :D :ymapplause:

Wilson - I know you mean well trying to get your friends to quit..but they KNOW all the reasons they should quit. Really. They do. All you are going to do is piss them off. Trust me on this one. They need to find their own reasons to give them up and when that happens and they are ready then be there to support them. :D
DukePA

Post by DukePA » August 11th, 2009, 9:57 am

Woo hoo!!! You can do it, Windsor!! We're all here behind you with mega vibes and hugs!
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » August 11th, 2009, 12:50 pm

windsor wrote:
wilson wrote:
Thank you both!! So far so good - Chantix seems to be doing exactly what is should - no side effects to speak of. woo hoo :D :D :D :ymapplause:
That's awesome!!! Keep it up!
Class of 2014
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 11th, 2009, 3:57 pm

Windsor, I'm thinking of you as you approach QUIT DAY!

You can do it! I believe in you!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 11th, 2009, 4:14 pm

I'm being lazy and don't feel like looking this up.

Is quit day tomorrow?
I worship the Blue Devil!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 12th, 2009, 7:00 am

Good morning, windsor!

Our 50-lb Aussie sends her best!

The funny thing is, she doesn't look like she's 50 lbs (53 lbs to be exact). She's just lots of muscle and fur.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 12th, 2009, 8:27 am

Today is quit day. Last cigarette was 10 pm last night.l Not too bad so far - having tried to quit before using the patch (also tried cold turkey) this is way easier. Usually the first day or two is the worst. I smoke when I drive (correction I chained smokeD when I drove) so I was 'smoking' a coffee straw on the way in to work. Seems to work pretty well. Other drivers in traffic looked at me a bit funny but what hte hell. Tic Tacs, crunchy snacks, cough drops (I will hack more in the next week then I ever ever did smoking) lots a water...ready to do battle.

I read something last week about lizard brains and addiction (http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-addmonst.html) the science isn't exaclty solid but the concept isn't far off. My craving visualization includes a slimey drooling Komodo dragon with about 10 cigarettes jammed in his mouth.

The support is really appreciated guys...I haven't killed anybody....yet. :D