2014 Schedule

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: 2014 Schedule

Post by Bob Green » July 30th, 2014, 5:20 pm

Interesting timing, ESPN runs a blog post discussing Carolina's optimism on their defensive line:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/7 ... sive-front

Adam Rowe (247Sports) tweets the following question: Losing half of it? And provides this link:

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1427796.html

It appears the unavailable players are mostly reserves, but at a minimum, Carolina is losing a lot of depth.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 30th, 2014, 7:25 pm

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/0 ... 9l9s8J0zIU

Shawn Underwood, Greg Webb and Clint Heaven are the three Carolina players no longer on the team. The status of J.J. Patterson is unclear but he will not be one of the 105 players at the start of practice.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 30th, 2014, 7:54 pm

Bob Green wrote:Rumors, rumors and more rumors...according to posts at TDD (yeah I am using an internet message board as a source), Carolina is about to lose two defensive lineman to academic suspension. I'll believe it when I see it.

Their defense is weak so if this is true it could be crippling.
Boo-freaking-hoo.

:9f:

Watch them get enrolled in some advanced/upper level AFAM sham course and/or have some summer school grades "modified."
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 30th, 2014, 8:31 pm

devildeac wrote:
Bob Green wrote:Rumors, rumors and more rumors...according to posts at TDD (yeah I am using an internet message board as a source), Carolina is about to lose two defensive lineman to academic suspension. I'll believe it when I see it.

Boo-freaking-hoo.

:9f:

Watch them get enrolled in some advanced/upper level AFAM sham course and/or have some summer school grades "modified."
My thoughts too. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2014, 8:09 am

Sucks not having those fake classes to back you up! :9f:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2014, 8:12 am

Bob Green wrote:http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/0 ... 9l9s8J0zIU

Shawn Underwood, Greg Webb and Clint Heaven are the three Carolina players no longer on the team. The status of J.J. Patterson is unclear but he will not be one of the 105 players at the start of practice.
As we all know, losing even a player off the bench is a huge blow. That means more field time for the starter, and in a physical game that means getting tired, slower, and it increases the chance of injury. I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but I sure would like to see them lose a few steps in the 4th when it matters most.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2014, 8:17 am

P.S..WRAL is saying the three left for "personal reasons" ;) and the 4th, JJ Patterson "did not make the 105 man roster". So you have to try out still once you get a scholarship? :ymdevil:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/four-unc-f ... /13854577/
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by wolfpackdevil » July 31st, 2014, 9:13 am

Maybe T.J. Logan will leave for "personal reasons" with them. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2014, 6:09 pm

Article from Greg Barnes listing the Heels that won't be on the field this year. A total of 15 scholarship players with eligibility remaining are not returning.
Side note, who was advising Darius Lipford? He must have been facing academic issues too.
http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1427796.html
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 16th, 2014, 10:39 am

Are You Ready for Some FOOTBALL ???
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 18th, 2014, 8:44 pm

ESPN has a new commercial for the "College Football Playoff." There are a lot of mascots and colors on the commercial, but if you look at the very end, there's a very familiar Gothic D. Nice to have a little recognition. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 18th, 2014, 9:17 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:ESPN has a new commercial for the "College Football Playoff." There are a lot of mascots and colors on the commercial, but if you look at the very end, there's a very familiar Gothic D. Nice to have a little recognition. :9f:
Is that the commercial which ends with Scottie Montgomery looking up at the strategy board, framed by goal posts askew? ;;)
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 18th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:ESPN has a new commercial for the "College Football Playoff." There are a lot of mascots and colors on the commercial, but if you look at the very end, there's a very familiar Gothic D. Nice to have a little recognition. :9f:
Is that the commercial which ends with Scottie Montgomery looking up at the strategy board, framed by goal posts askew? ;;)
I think it was Scottie. I was so shocked that it didn't register what else was on there. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 18th, 2014, 10:00 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
I think it was Scottie. I was so shocked that it didn't register what else was on there. :9f:
The only commercial I know about has Scottie at the end. He's got his headset on, is holding his clipboard, looks up and is about to write on the transparent board.

The whole commercial is clever, but for the final image to be a Duke football coach... priceless. ;;)
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 18th, 2014, 10:29 pm

We are getting some publicity. The last ESPN The Mag I looked at had a spread on the offices of six NCAA FB coaches. There was a lovely blue cast to the last one (though it did show a Tennessee jersey signed by some Manning guy).
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 19th, 2014, 8:02 am

Andrea Adelson takes a look at what we've lost recently.
So all told, Duke has lost players who had a hand in 34 of the team’s 54 total offensive touchdowns last season, plus its lone All-ACC linebacker in Brown, who had 114 tackles as the heart of the Duke D.
Given the latest setbacks, it is hard to peg Duke as a favorite in the Coastal now. A program like Florida State can lose a few starters and reload. A program like Duke is still working to build adequate depth across the board. The Blue Devils are certainly capable of winning the division, but their task just got significantly harder.
She is including Connette, Duncan, Deaver and Brown.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/7 ... -continues
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » August 19th, 2014, 10:14 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:We are getting some publicity. The last ESPN The Mag I looked at had a spread on the offices of six NCAA FB coaches. There was a lovely blue cast to the last one (though it did show a Tennessee jersey signed by some Manning guy).
Yeah....we also get some love on the Spurrier spread. He still has the Duke 50 vs. UNC 0 football front and center. Gotta Love that!
wolfpackdevil

Post by wolfpackdevil » August 20th, 2014, 9:28 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Andrea Adelson takes a look at what we've lost recently.
So all told, Duke has lost players who had a hand in 34 of the team’s 54 total offensive touchdowns last season, plus its lone All-ACC linebacker in Brown, who had 114 tackles as the heart of the Duke D.
Given the latest setbacks, it is hard to peg Duke as a favorite in the Coastal now. A program like Florida State can lose a few starters and reload. A program like Duke is still working to build adequate depth across the board. The Blue Devils are certainly capable of winning the division, but their task just got significantly harder.
She is including Connette, Duncan, Deaver and Brown.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/7 ... -continues
I can't blame her for changing her position on Duke. Losing our best defensive player and our second-best offensive weapon are crucial. I was expecting Braxton to have a HUGE year playing in the shadow of Crowder. I still think we can win the division, but I am not as confident about it as I was two weeks ago :(
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 28th, 2014, 10:37 am

Keeley ranks the games from easiest (Elon) to hardest (Carolina):

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/08/28/ ... /269/&rh=1

It is an interesting read, she does a solid job, actually a better than solid job covering Duke.