2015 Recruiting

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

The Football Fan
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: 2015 Recruiting

Post by The Football Fan » June 23rd, 2014, 10:22 pm

ESPN comments he could be a corner at the next level.... interesting. "Raw Talent"
We get beat/burnt on long bombs when we play the Florida St., Clemson, and so on...
Add this guy to the mix at corner and I think you could put at least 2 in the defensive backfield with 4.4 speed. I'm not so sure we don't have another in Borders, McCarthy or Fields. DeVon Edwards definitely has the speed.

I saw someone comment that Hines is kinda like that impossible to get girl that flirts with you on occasion...makes you think you gotta a chance, but ya just can't see it happening. Rashad Roundtree, a 4 star safety, is another that fits the same story line.
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » June 25th, 2014, 10:33 pm

Another one in the truck....

http://duke.247sports.com/Article/Versa ... e-29335114

This one doesn't have the hype of many in the class, but does have 4.40 speed and watch his tape if you have any concerns about hips or whether he's athletic enough....

Will get a shot at QB, but most are projecting him as a DB for us. For DBs, I think our staff is incredible at rating talent and finding gems. Ross Cockrell wasn't a 3 star guy. Turned out pretty darn special. Breon Borders had a 70 rating by ESPN...one of the lowest ratings in any of our recruiting classes (and that's saying something). Devon Edwards wasn't even rated by ESPN. This guy camped with us, so our coaches know what they are getting.

This doesn't have the pazzaz of the other recent recruits, but he does look really good. I LOVE the speed we're getting in this class.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » June 29th, 2014, 6:03 pm

I've been off the grid since Wednesday afternoon. Keith Washington has verbally committed to Duke.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=7427008

Three Stars on Scout with offers from multiple programs including Miami and UNC. Washington is commit #15 and is projected to be a CB in college.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 29th, 2014, 6:23 pm

This recruiting season is fun.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » June 29th, 2014, 10:03 pm

I think the finish is going to be critical.

It can still be an absolutely amazing class if....we get 2 of the high 3/4 star running backs...Hines, Frasier, Gallaspy, Love at RB; Roundtree at Safety, Petite at TE, wait it out and pick a 4 star at CB, LB, DE, or OL that waited too long to commit to the top 10 perennial power, AND get solid 3 star guys everywhere else. CB and DE seem most likely for stealing away a 4 star (probably dependent on the season we have). Darnold, a QB out of California is a top 100 player on ESPN and we're in the running...if he were to choose Duke it would also help the rating class, but I'm not sure what that means for Harris or Pierre. Lloyd has already transitioned to CB. He'll be having surgery, but should be back....sorry, I'm getting off topic, but we seem loaded at QB.

The class will take another step forward and make us all pretty excited, if they can close on 2 RBs, and get either Roundtree, Petite, or another 4 star guy somewhere.

Otherwise, we have what we've had the last 2 years...a very good recruiting class that fits what we want to do, but that's still slightly below average for the ACC. With that said, this class already is a step above prior classes in terms of the number of guys committed that had offers from other major programs. Most all of the guys signed this year had offers from big time programs. We had to win some recruiting battles for these guys. In prior years you could only say that about a handful of guys. I don't know how hard the major programs were in pursuit when they committed, but many of these guys had good offer sheets. If we get a Hines, Frasier, Gallaspy, Love, Roundtree type guy to commit, we will have won a HUGE recruiting battle.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 30th, 2014, 6:46 pm

The Football Fan wrote:Darnold, a QB out of California is a top 100 player on ESPN and we're in the running...if he were to choose Duke...
Darnold sounds intriguing as he is a QB-PP (pocket passer) and we've focused our QB recruiting on QB-DT (dual threat) since Sean Renfree. I'd love to see Duke ink a classic drop back passer to mix things up.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... am-darnold

4-Star Darnold is #89 on the ESPN300 list.

Changing gears...the position I am starting to sweat a little is running back. Coach Cut is chasing four in state guys with three of them being 4-Stars so there is really no justification for my sweat other than impatience. The offense must remain balanced so we need at least one of those four NC running backs to commit. I want two of the four!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 2nd, 2014, 1:15 pm

4 Star TE (6'6" 225) Tyler Petite has verbally committed to Duke:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... ler-petite

He picked Duke over USC.

Edit fixed link
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 2nd, 2014, 1:43 pm

Bob Green wrote:4 Star TE (6'6" 225) Tyler Petite has verbally committed to Duke:

He picked Duke over USC.
Wooohooo!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 2nd, 2014, 2:51 pm

Bob Green wrote:4 Star TE (6'6" 225) Tyler Petite has verbally committed to Duke:

He picked Duke over USC.

Edit fixed link
Wow. That is a serious list of suitors. Auburn isn't exactly a small fry on the recruiting trail either.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 2nd, 2014, 3:24 pm

Duke is now in the top 20 of 2015 class recruiting rankings.
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... 15/all/all

:D :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 2nd, 2014, 3:36 pm

Here is a highlight reel of his junior season:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1846249/highlights/77537375

Typical highlight reel which shows him catching TD passes, delivering punishing blocks, catching the ball in traffic, piling up a bunch of YAC, etc....
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 2nd, 2014, 7:48 pm

Per Twitter, DB Brandon Feamster (6'3" 200) has committed to Duke:

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=7745102

He also had offers from Syracuse and Connecticut.

https://twitter.com/Feamster28/statu...518592/photo/1
wolfpackdevil

Post by wolfpackdevil » July 3rd, 2014, 12:10 pm

First of all, thank you for the amazing work you do for the recruiting aspect of the discussion on this team. I get 90% of my info for Duke football recruiting from your posts on here. And it has definitely been an amazing time these past couple of weeks seeing the commitments at such a high rate this summer.

This is shaping up to be such an amazing class. If we can steal a couple of those running backs, a four-star defensive lineman, and hopefully grab Darnold, this could be a top 25 class.

We are witnessing a complete rebirth of this program as we are becoming the Northwestern of three or four years ago. We are very similar programs that have been rebooted by a head coach. This is off-topic, but I would love to see us play a home-and-home with NW again. We beat them on the road for our only win of the 2007 season. And then we lost to them in Cutcliffe's first year in 2008.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 3rd, 2014, 12:53 pm

wolfpackdevil wrote:First of all, thank you for the amazing work you do for the recruiting aspect of the discussion on this team.
You're welcome! I enjoy following the team and sharing the information.
wolfpackdevil wrote:This is off-topic, but I would love to see us play a home-and-home with NW again.
You get your wish starting next year when Northwestern visits Duke on 9/19/15 in the first game of a four game series.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/acc/duk ... devils.php
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 4th, 2014, 4:08 pm

OG Nick Wilson to Stanford. This is the 2nd OL we have lost to Stanford in the last couple of weeks. Yuck!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 7th, 2014, 5:53 pm

DT Darian Roseboro (6'4 260) from Lincolnton, NC will cut his list from 10 to six schools at 8 pm. I'm following him on Twitter so I'll post the results once they are out there. Roseboro is #161 on the ESPN300 list. Duke has been recruiting him hard for a long time.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... n-roseboro
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 7th, 2014, 8:11 pm

We did not make Darian Roseboro's top six:

Michigan
Nc state
Alabama
Tennessee
Carolina
Clemson

Oh well, next play!
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » July 7th, 2014, 10:38 pm

Something I'd like to throw out there....

We have been turning some quality guys down. I don't want to name them as I got the info from pay sites and I don't know what now would be paid for knowledge vs. not, but we have turned down a quality TE, OL, and possibly WR&DB. I'm pretty sure there's others, but those are positions of players I recall that previously wanted to commit and the staff said..."hold on"...and finally, "we don't have space for you."

We've still missed on some that I know we all wanted...B. Chaffin, N.Wilson, Anderson, McGirt....but we lost out to Stanford, UNC, and Alabama. Hard to blame kids for Stanford and Alabama. For everything that's said on UNC, considering the alumni base, network of mentors/coaches, huge network of fans in this state (alumni/uncles/friends), background on NFL players....I can understand losing a few guys to UNC. Very soon I think we can start winning those battles, but right now, despite their mess, they are still having success with recruits...if you take off your duke specs for a sec, it is understandable. Again I think the afore mentioned pieces are factors there, but I think we're making some gains. Duke has a great product to sell, it'll just take some time and continued wins.

All that aside, what's exciting is that we are turning down some quality players that would have been 1st or 2nd year starters 5-6 years ago. The commit by Petite was huge.

on Roseboro...yeah, big time talent, but...I'm okay with it. I think the staff knew a long time ago we weren't getting Dalton or Roseboro...I think that's why the shift went to Price and others. I like the size of those guys and I'm still a big fan of coach Petri. The key for us is to continue to get better. It doesn't have to be huge steps. Our offense is good enough that improving the defense a little makes us significantly better overall. Duke got a lot better in June.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 8th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Linebacker is a position of need and Duke is involved with a couple. Ben Humphreys (6'2" 202) out of Santa Ana, California:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... -humphreys

And Markus Bailey (6'1" 215) from Hilliard, Ohio:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... kus-bailey

Both guys have good size, are ranked high by the various recruiting services and have impressive offer sheets. We have received a verbal from one linebacker (Joe Giles-Harris), so I expect we need one more in this class. Either of the two listed here would be a solid addition.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 11th, 2014, 7:17 pm

LB Ben Humphreys will cut his list to five in August. He says Washington and Duke will definitely make the cut, he doesn't know about the other three spots.