Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Life is good.

Post by Miles » July 29th, 2009, 12:23 am

Sue71 wrote:
Miles wrote: I think the world is a better place with all of my CTN and DBR chums around. Though I've been absent in recent weeks, I do think of y'all often and it's mostly good thoughts too. :-D Thanks for everyone being around and sticking through the though times.
Yeah I see how you are... out of sight, out of mind. :p :-* ;;)

:D
Like I said, mostly good thoughts. ;-)

xoxo
sMiles
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » July 29th, 2009, 12:25 am

Miles wrote:
Sue71 wrote:
Miles wrote: I think the world is a better place with all of my CTN and DBR chums around. Though I've been absent in recent weeks, I do think of y'all often and it's mostly good thoughts too. :-D Thanks for everyone being around and sticking through the though times.
Yeah I see how you are... out of sight, out of mind. :p :-* ;;)

:D
Like I said, mostly good thoughts. ;-)

xoxo
2 words: Chef Alf
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
Miles

Post by Miles » July 29th, 2009, 8:22 am

Sue71 wrote:2 words: Chef Alf
Chef Alf does put a smile on Miles' face.
sMiles
Ben63
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Ben63 » July 29th, 2009, 9:05 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
CHWC? Not sure what that stands for but I was at a Group Workcamps Week of Hope.

CHWC is Catholic Heart WorkCamp. It sounds exactly the same as what you went to. 1 adult and 5-6 teens work together at a local non-profit or a residents home (usually elderly or disabled.) I have been to four camps in Virginia Beach, Toledo, Pittsburgh, and Lexington, KY.

In VA Beach I worked for an elderly man who was also a pack rat. His place was an absolute mess but after 4 days of hard work we did a bunch landscaping and yardwork as well as cleaning out his house. Totally fulfilling experience. In Toledo I worked at the Boys and Girls Club as well as the Salvation Army. In Pittsburgh we worked for an elderly lady an did yardwork and painted her deck. And in Lexington we cleaned out an reorganized a storage garage at the Salvation Army.

The experience is fantastic and I feel I get more out of it than the people I help do. It also creates lasting friendships from 4 days of work with total strangers from other states. Through this experience I have friends from VA, NC, IL, MN, TN, WI, and IA.

Life is good. I really regret not going this year. Those weeks are usually the best of the year and I can't wait to go next year.
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » July 29th, 2009, 9:51 pm

This is a picture of me at my first workcamp in 2005 in Virginia Beach. Thats me in the red hat.

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 29th, 2009, 11:37 pm

Ben63 wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
CHWC? Not sure what that stands for but I was at a Group Workcamps Week of Hope.

CHWC is Catholic Heart WorkCamp. It sounds exactly the same as what you went to. 1 adult and 5-6 teens work together at a local non-profit or a residents home (usually elderly or disabled.) I have been to four camps in Virginia Beach, Toledo, Pittsburgh, and Lexington, KY.

In VA Beach I worked for an elderly man who was also a pack rat. His place was an absolute mess but after 4 days of hard work we did a bunch landscaping and yardwork as well as cleaning out his house. Totally fulfilling experience. In Toledo I worked at the Boys and Girls Club as well as the Salvation Army. In Pittsburgh we worked for an elderly lady an did yardwork and painted her deck. And in Lexington we cleaned out an reorganized a storage garage at the Salvation Army.

The experience is fantastic and I feel I get more out of it than the people I help do. It also creates lasting friendships from 4 days of work with total strangers from other states. Through this experience I have friends from VA, NC, IL, MN, TN, WI, and IA.

Life is good. I really regret not going this year. Those weeks are usually the best of the year and I can't wait to go next year.

Sounds similar. I was at the Boys & Girls Club in Fort Collins, CO last year and at House of Charity, a soup kitchen, in Minneapolis, MN this year. Next year, we are going to Nashville. And you are right - it is an amazing week.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 30th, 2009, 1:11 pm

With apologies to those in the Northwest - but I don't have to run my air conditioner at the moment. July without AC is a very rare occurrence in Kansas - it is usually in the '90s with 90% humidity.
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 31st, 2009, 4:45 pm

I had my little surgeries today. Like my friend Kenny Dennard says, any day above ground is a good day.

So long as it's not cancer (or a malignancy) that I'm dealing with, my problems are small.

Life is good.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 31st, 2009, 5:28 pm

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: for Cathy. As long as it doesn't make 8-x jealous.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 31st, 2009, 6:51 pm

bjornolf wrote::ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: for Cathy. As long as it doesn't make 8-x jealous.

%%-
And another reason that life is good is that I had my personal handyman here this week to help me get settled in my "new" house. You wouldn't believe how hard cl15876 worked around the house this week! He painted, trimmed trees, repaired light fixtures, screwed cabinet doors back in to their brackets, got the internet/phone/cable set up, waited for the fridge (which is now broken), caulked the cabinets, moved furniture, repaired the screen slider door, brought me a container garden, and so much more!

I am so blessed! Thank you, cl15876!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 31st, 2009, 10:17 pm

CathyCA wrote:
bjornolf wrote::ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: for Cathy. As long as it doesn't make 8-x jealous.

%%-
And another reason that life is good is that I had my personal handyman here this week to help me get settled in my "new" house. You wouldn't believe how hard cl15876 worked around the house this week! He painted, trimmed trees, repaired light fixtures, screwed cabinet doors back in to their brackets, got the internet/phone/cable set up, waited for the fridge (which is now broken), caulked the cabinets, moved furniture, repaired the screen slider door, brought me a container garden, and so much more!

I am so blessed! Thank you, cl15876!
Yes. It seems you are. That's a lot of work. #:-s
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 2nd, 2009, 10:53 pm

Just spent the weekend with two of my best girlfriends and their fabulous significant others - one couple in from DC, and one up from Portland. We did a crab boil by the beach last night, under a perfect summer evening sky, with plenty of delish food and adult beverages. Today, brunch on the beach, a stroll through the outdoor sculpture garden, a cocktail happy hour at a swank, water-front hotel - ahh, a great weekend.

Plus, having houseguests got my husband to help clean and organize the house, so we have a clean place for the next couple of weeks! Almost as good as seeing old friends!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 2nd, 2009, 11:02 pm

It's August in Kansas and I don't need my ac on. (Will have to turn it back on later this week.)

Played a hand bell duet with piano accompaniment this morning - and only messed up one measure during the two services. Got some baby hugs also.

Life is good.
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 2nd, 2009, 11:07 pm

Though I've already mentioned it, I'll throw this past weekend's wedding into this thread's celebration. It's also nice to sleep in my own bed for just the second night in a month. I also get to see my Walter for a couple of days before departing for Columbia, and then I'll be back after just a few days to celebrate my birthday. Even with the voluminous, not fun work of a move that stands just ahead of me, I still think life is good (dammit).
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 2nd, 2009, 11:20 pm

wilson wrote:Though I've already mentioned it, I'll throw this past weekend's wedding into this thread's celebration. It's also nice to sleep in my own bed for just the second night in a month. I also get to see my Walter for a couple of days before departing for Columbia, and then I'll be back after just a few days to celebrate my birthday. Even with the voluminous, not fun work of a move that stands just ahead of me, I still think life is good (dammit).
It's nice to sleep in my own bed. I'm getting ready to sleep in my bed for only the 6th night in 16 months.

GET YOUR MINDS OUT OF THE GUTTER!

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 2nd, 2009, 11:23 pm

CathyCA wrote:
It's nice to sleep in my own bed. I'm getting ready to sleep in my bed for only the 6th night in 16 months.

Hah! I love the preemptive finger-wag at the end (totally appropriate with this crowd).
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 3rd, 2009, 12:24 am

DukieInKansas wrote: Got some baby hugs also.

Life is good.
Baby hugs/cuddles are great. One of the couples here had their 3.5 month old daughter with them, and she was a perfect angel. Cute little chubby cheeks and thighs - so adorable!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 3rd, 2009, 8:21 am

CathyCA wrote:It's nice to sleep in my own bed. I'm getting ready to sleep in my bed for only the 6th night in 16 months.

Yea, we'd only think that if 8-x were there. ;) Oh, and you forgot these little guys at the end: [-x :-$ [-( Any one of them, or the group if you're REALLY serious, would have really hammered home the point.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 3rd, 2009, 8:48 am

Went dancing for about 3.5 hours yesterday afternoon/evening. Wow, are my feet tired/sore.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 3rd, 2009, 9:11 am

devildeac wrote:Went dancing for about 3.5 hours yesterday afternoon/evening. Wow, are my feet tired/sore.

:D :D :D , about the dancing.

:( :( :( :( , about the sore feet.
I worship the Blue Devil!