2014 Recruiting

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Re: 2014 Recruiting

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 20th, 2013, 12:37 pm

It is so refreshing to actually read some positive REcruiting information about Duke Football!!!!

Thanks to Coach Cut and staff and his recruitment, and putting Duke Football back on the map, and into ACTIVE PLAY!!!

WE ARE DUKE!!!
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » May 24th, 2013, 2:09 pm

Scout now rates Zach Harmon as a 3-Star and the #16 center in the nation:

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&c=8&yr=2014
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 2nd, 2013, 7:34 am

Johnathan Lloyd, a 3-Star Athlete per ESPN with an impressive offer list has verbally committed to Duke.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... than-lloyd
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 2nd, 2013, 2:33 pm

Bob Green wrote:Johnathan Lloyd, a 3-Star Athlete per ESPN with an impressive offer list has verbally committed to Duke.

:clap: :clap:

Good news!
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 3rd, 2013, 12:02 pm

Duke had a One Day Football Camp yesterday!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 3rd, 2013, 1:04 pm

This is a cool piece on the recruitment of Harrison Phillips. It shows some of the tactics that our coaches are using to bring these kids in.
Duke poured it on thick two weeks ago when the school sent Phillips 115 handwritten letters in one day in a bring-the-house recruiting blitz on the standout defensive lineman.
"I thought it was pretty cool, the time it must have taken them -- it was almost overwhelming," the 6-foot-3, 245-pound Phillips told me Friday. "It was hard to open all of the letters and read all of them. They were all so personal.
"They even made my mom cry, reading all the nice things about me."
http://journalstar.com/sports/columnist ... 22e30.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 3rd, 2013, 10:02 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:This is a cool piece on the recruitment of Harrison Phillips. It shows some of the tactics that our coaches are using to bring these kids in.
Duke poured it on thick two weeks ago when the school sent Phillips 115 handwritten letters in one day in a bring-the-house recruiting blitz on the standout defensive lineman.
"I thought it was pretty cool, the time it must have taken them -- it was almost overwhelming," the 6-foot-3, 245-pound Phillips told me Friday. "It was hard to open all of the letters and read all of them. They were all so personal.
"They even made my mom cry, reading all the nice things about me."
http://journalstar.com/sports/columnist ... 22e30.html
Thanks for posting. Again, we can hope. :duke:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 5th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Bob Green wrote:Johnathan Lloyd, a 3-Star Athlete per ESPN with an impressive offer list has verbally committed to Duke.

“Duke is a great place. It is on the up and up, it is a lovable place with the people in the administration staff to coaches to graduate assistants,” Lloyd said. “Everybody seems so real. I can see myself flourishing at Duke, taking my game to another level.”
Good article on Lloyd, who will also be playing baseball for the Blue Devils.
http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/high ... e-1.153063
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 7th, 2013, 6:51 pm

According to The Devil's Den message board, 3-Star LB Kendall Joseph will announce his destination on June 17. His final three schools are Clemson, Duke and Louisville. Supposedly, Joseph has stated he does not want to redshirt. Clemson and Louisville are stacked at LB so that puts Duke in a good position. Moreover, Joseph's last visit was to be Clemson this weekend but he has added another visit, to Duke. I think we have a decent chance to land him.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 8th, 2013, 1:48 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

“Duke is a great place. It is on the up and up, it is a lovable place with the people in the administration staff to coaches to graduate assistants,” Lloyd said. “Everybody seems so real. I can see myself flourishing at Duke, taking my game to another level.”
Good article on Lloyd, who will also be playing baseball for the Blue Devils.
http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/high ... e-1.153063
Johnathan Lloyd is a kid from Alamance County!!!!! Southern Alamance High School!!!!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: Football has always been competitive in the Alamance/Burlington School System!!!!! Good to see some local kids make the Duke Roster!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 11th, 2013, 5:41 pm

This week and coming weekend are potentially big for recruiting. There is a premium article at Scout.com (The Devils Den) with lots of details, unfortunately I am not a subscriber so I can't read it. I do know Kendall Joseph a 3-Star LB from South Carolina is visiting (his last visit) prior to announcing on Monday. There are other recruits on campus this week as well. Hopefully we will have some good news to discuss next week!
The Football Fan
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by The Football Fan » June 12th, 2013, 10:43 pm

I don't want to get into trouble, so I'll limit the commentary, but here's the folks on the visit schedule. All are 3-4 star rated folks except Bryant. But...he looks...interesting. I'll just say he plays a line position but is athletic enough to return kicks and punts. I'll take the flyer for more information on that one.

Tuesday: Kurt Holuba
Wednesday: Travon Lee
Thursday: Kedar Bryant
Friday: Kendall Joseph, Bradley Chubb, and Justin Jones

I'll be thrilled if we can get a couple of commits this week and then leave a couple open for the season and on signing day...but then if we got all of the above, not likely, but if...I'd be fine with closing shop for signing day.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 13th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Christian Harris to Duke. Scout lists him as a 3-Star OT/DE. Hopefully he has FBS level defensive lineman skills. He is 6'6" 260 and from Suwanee, Georgia. He is also rated 3-Stars by Rivals. Other BCS offers are UNC, N.C. State, Mississippi State and Kentucky.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 13th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Bob Green wrote:Christian Harris to Duke. Scout lists him as a 3-Star OT/DE. Hopefully he has FBS level defensive lineman skills. He is 6'6" 260 and from Suwanee, Georgia. He is also rated 3-Stars by Rivals. Other BCS offers are UNC, N.C. State, Mississippi State and Kentucky.
I'd like to see the recruits we are getting now stand next to the freshmen Cutcliffe met during his first spring practice. It seems like we are getting much larger guys.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 14th, 2013, 5:14 pm

Bob Green wrote:Hopefully he has FBS level defensive lineman skills.
Reading on Scout, it appears Harris will play Offensive Tackle at Duke. He is ranked the #48 OT in the nation, which is higher than Kameron Schroeder (#88) and Trip McNeill (#89).
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 17th, 2013, 8:32 am

Joseph to Clemson:

http://clemson.scout.com/

Bummer.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 19th, 2013, 4:56 am

TE Avery Edwards (Ravenscroft) to UNC. I don't see TE as a position of need right now.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 24th, 2013, 6:28 pm

DE/LB Bradley Chubb and DE Justin Jones to State. DE Harrison Phillips (he of 150 letters in a single day) picked up scholarship offers from Stanford and UCLA. Rumors say he is high on Stanford.

The linebacker and defensive lineman targets are quickly disappearing. We just can't seem to land those guys.
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » June 24th, 2013, 10:48 pm

Kinda surprising in some ways. I thought our D-line recruiting would improve with Rick Petri on staff. Our line play has improved, but again, I thought we would've picked up a few 3-4 star guys.

Funny, I also remember Coach Cut saying that improving the D-line play was the most critical piece to turning a team around...yet we haven't got the talent there that we have at other positions. Of course, we haven't fully seen what last year's group will bring as they'll be redshirt freshman this year. They must have seen something to move Sink back to offense.

Does make you wonder why we keep missing on those guys.

Once I saw the post with Phillip and the handwritten notes story, I kinda figured, he's going elsewhere. At that point, he was only coming if no one else offered. Surprises do happen, so, we'll see.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 16th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Monroe's Tre'Shun Wynn talks recruiting and Duke states he and teammate Jaylan Barbour could both end up at the same college:

http://www.enquirerjournal.com/sports/l ... g-up-speed