Buy Windows 7 Now!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Buy Windows 7 Now!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2009, 7:12 am

OK..it's the release date. Where the hell are my emails about shipping, Best Buy? My coworker got an email from HP two days ago, my other co-worker and I ordered ours from Best Buy and haven't recieved any notices. Grrrrrrrr. X(
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 22nd, 2009, 9:13 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:OK..it's the release date. Where the hell are my emails about shipping, Best Buy? My coworker got an email from HP two days ago, my other co-worker and I ordered ours from Best Buy and haven't recieved any notices. Grrrrrrrr. X(
Maybe we should add a Windows Launch party to the Brunchgate agenda. They look like tons of fun!
sMiles
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » October 22nd, 2009, 11:22 am

Did I hear someone say 'Windows 7'? :D :D

I actually woke up an hour early to watch the Win7 launch party. I could have gone into work and participated in one of the watching parties going on on campus, but I prefer to watch the NYC event streaming from the comfort of my couch, in my PJs. Kylie ("I'm 4, and I'm a PC") made a live appearance! :ymapplause:

It's a big big day for us 'softies - even those of us who have nothing to do with the O/S. Finally, we can get out from under the massive reputation suck that was that ... previous version. :ymtongue: Plus, Win 7 just kicks arse.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 22nd, 2009, 1:16 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:Did I hear someone say 'Windows 7'? :D :D

I actually woke up an hour early to watch the Win7 launch party. I could have gone into work and participated in one of the watching parties going on on campus, but I prefer to watch the NYC event streaming from the comfort of my couch, in my PJs. Kylie ("I'm 4, and I'm a PC") made a live appearance! :ymapplause:

It's a big big day for us 'softies - even those of us who have nothing to do with the O/S. Finally, we can get out from under the massive reputation suck that was that ... previous version. :ymtongue: Plus, Win 7 just kicks arse.
So, an upgrade should be in my future? Guess it is time to upgrade Office also. Always slow to the personal upgrade party.
Life is good!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » October 22nd, 2009, 1:22 pm

I purchased the student upgrade version DA posted about - $30! Still waiting for my email with a download link!!! I have a Vista install on my desktop at home. It's 64-bit Home Premium and I'm going to upgrade to Win7 64-bit Home Premium. I know I can do a direct upgrade, but not sure if I might as well just do a clean install.

DA, what do you think about that? Is the upgrade path clean enough?
-- DukeUsul
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » October 22nd, 2009, 2:03 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I purchased the student upgrade version DA posted about - $30! Still waiting for my email with a download link!!! I have a Vista install on my desktop at home. It's 64-bit Home Premium and I'm going to upgrade to Win7 64-bit Home Premium. I know I can do a direct upgrade, but not sure if I might as well just do a clean install.

DA, what do you think about that? Is the upgrade path clean enough?
I always clean install, so I don't have any personal experience on that path. I can tell you that the upgrade path has been vigorously tested in-house and through the RC1 beta, so I suspect it's pretty solid.

If you do clean install, I HIGHLY recommend using the Windows Easy Transfer wizard. It makes backing up data and settings a total snap, and it's dead-simple to use. If you have Vista, it's already installed; if you have Windows XP, you can get it from download.microsoft.com.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2009, 2:05 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I purchased the student upgrade version DA posted about - $30! Still waiting for my email with a download link!!! I have a Vista install on my desktop at home. It's 64-bit Home Premium and I'm going to upgrade to Win7 64-bit Home Premium. I know I can do a direct upgrade, but not sure if I might as well just do a clean install.
CAN you do a clean install? Often times they make it a pain in the ass since it's an upgrade and not a "full version". With XP you had to present an earlier OS cd to verify that at least you owned an earlier version.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » October 22nd, 2009, 2:13 pm

Be sure to check out http://www.windows7.com for the new cool stuff you can do with the new O/S.

And there's some good info/walkthroughs up installing and upgrading here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help

For those of you wondering about upgrades, and whether your machine can handle it, there's a system scanner here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... de-advisor

There's a deal out there between Best Buy & HP, where for the cost of a low-end Mac ($1200), you get a desktop machine + monitor, a notebook, and a netbook, all with Windows 7, plus a wireless router & installation by the Geek Squad. Damn, that would outfit an entire family quite nicely.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » October 22nd, 2009, 2:16 pm

One last post for now, I promise. There is a rumored "family pack" of home premium coming - three licenses for just more than the cost of one ($120, I've seen.) I'm actually waiting on buying my own copies, because that would actually work out to be cheaper for me than what I can get through company discounts.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2009, 3:02 pm

DevilAlumna wrote: There's a deal out there between Best Buy & HP, where for the cost of a low-end Mac ($1200), you get a desktop machine + monitor, a notebook, and a netbook, all with Windows 7, plus a wireless router & installation by the Geek Squad. Damn, that would outfit an entire family quite nicely.
It will be $2000 by the time IDon'tKnowWhatI'mDoing-HereBuyThis Squad upsells you on all the crap they try to unload to their customers.
I have issues with the squad...is it obvious?
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 22nd, 2009, 3:57 pm

Please tell me you didn't really watch any launch festivities.

It's a big big day for us 'softies - even those of us who have nothing to do with the O/S. Finally, we can get out from under the massive reputation suck that was that ... previous version.

I never had any problems with Vista.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » October 22nd, 2009, 4:51 pm

colchar wrote:

It's a big big day for us 'softies - even those of us who have nothing to do with the O/S. Finally, we can get out from under the massive reputation suck that was that ... previous version.

Most people didn't. It's a decent O/S. But for various reasons, it got a horrid reputation, deserved or not.

And yes, I did watch. Given the time it's taken the company to get out new versions of an O/S, I may not be around for the next one.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » October 22nd, 2009, 4:54 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
colchar wrote:

Most people didn't. It's a decent O/S. But for various reasons, it got a horrid reputation, deserved or not.

And yes, I did watch. Given the time it's taken the company to get out new versions of an O/S, I may not be around for the next one.
I had problems with Vista. They MOVED EVERYTHING!!! Dad gummit gimme a button that says "put it all back the way it was!!!!" :D :D :D

I also continually have issues with my Vista PC (which is running on a wireless card) failing to pick up my wireless network after coming up from sleep. I have to go into the network center and disable/enable the card. But it takes too many dadgum clicks to do that. I hear that's been redesigned, so I'm anxiously awaiting how good they made it!
-- DukeUsul
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » October 22nd, 2009, 4:56 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I also continually have issues with my Vista PC (which is running on a wireless card) failing to pick up my wireless network after coming up from sleep. I have to go into the network center and disable/enable the card. But it takes too many dadgum clicks to do that. I hear that's been redesigned, so I'm anxiously awaiting how good they made it!
Drivers, man. Check the drivers.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2009, 4:57 pm

DukeUsul wrote: I had problems with Vista. They MOVED EVERYTHING!!! Dad gummit gimme a button that says "put it all back the way it was!!!!" :D :D :D

I also continually have issues with my Vista PC (which is running on a wireless card) failing to pick up my wireless network after coming up from sleep. I have to go into the network center and disable/enable the card. But it takes too many dadgum clicks to do that. I hear that's been redesigned, so I'm anxiously awaiting how good they made it!
Roy? :poke:
Miles

Post by Miles » October 23rd, 2009, 11:21 am

Congratulations DA! I'm really happy for you. I cannot imagine the effort that goes into releasing an O/S, but I've been a part of major releases of commercial software and it is a great feeling. Kick ass for you all your buddies.
sMiles
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 23rd, 2009, 11:25 am

DevilAlumna wrote:

I think that came from the stability issues that existed when it was first released (maybe they put it out to early?). But very soon after that it settled down and, except for some minor irritants, it has worked very very well for me. I might switch to Windows 7 if I can find a cheap version but I really have no legitimate reason to do so right now.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » October 23rd, 2009, 1:41 pm

Ok. So they sent the Windows 7 download link to my NCSU email address. Oops. I only check that every few days. :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing:
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 23rd, 2009, 2:08 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Ok. So they sent the Windows 7 download link to my NCSU email address. Oops. I only check that every few days. :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing:
I still haven't gotten mine. I've "checked status" on my confirmation emails and it says "processing". That blows.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 23rd, 2009, 3:45 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:Ok. So they sent the Windows 7 download link to my NCSU email address. Oops. I only check that every few days. :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing:
I still haven't gotten mine. I've "checked status" on my confirmation emails and it says "processing". That blows.
From BestBuy email I just got.
The items listed below are now packed and ready to leave our warehouse.
About time you pokey bastards. Now I'm just waiting on Acer for the other one.