Olympic Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Olympic Thread

Post by CathyCA » July 28th, 2012, 11:46 pm

Lavabe wrote:colchar's response is exactly why I love CTN. Many thanks, colchar. I still hope you lose at the Brickyard, tomorrow. ;)

While responding earlier, I caught a link to an interview with US Olympian Michael Johnson, who now does business work in the UK. They asked him how the ceremony would play in the US. I believe he pretty much said no. And I saw links where people wondered why Branagh was playing Abraham Lincoln. :-o

Well, hello? He looked like he was playing Abraham Lincoln. Of course people thought he was playing Abraham Lincoln.

That giant overgrown scary baby was the weirdest part of the show. I don't know what they were trying to do, but if they intended to creep people out, they succeeded.

My favorite part of the show was when the queen parachuted in to the stadium. My favorite scene from the opening ceremony was seeing Grant Hill with Michelle Obama.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 29th, 2012, 12:11 am

Lavabe wrote:colchar's response is exactly why I love CTN. Many thanks, colchar.
Glad to help. Also glad to clarify any questions anyone else might have so fire away folks.

I still hope you lose at the Brickyard, tomorrow. ;)
Did you see how my drivers qualified? I have no doubt that I am going to lose!

While responding earlier, I caught a link to an interview with US Olympian Michael Johnson, who now does business work in the UK. They asked him how the ceremony would play in the US. I believe he pretty much said no. And I saw links where people wondered why Branagh was playing Abraham Lincoln. :-o

I read a comment from an American on a British paper's website last night claiming that the truth was that America had led the Industrial Revolution but that, since it was Britain's party, they could go ahead and fudge the facts a bit. The fuckwit obviously didn't grasp that the Industrial Revolution started 26 years before America became a country!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 29th, 2012, 12:14 am

CathyCA wrote:
Well, hello? He looked like he was playing Abraham Lincoln. Of course people thought he was playing Abraham Lincoln.
Brunel was born before and died before Lincoln (although they did live at the same time).

My favorite part of the show was when the queen parachuted in to the stadium.
Sadly, some people believe it was actually her.

My favorite scene from the opening ceremony was seeing Grant Hill with Michelle Obama.
I didn't see Grant and Mrs. Obama was only on for a split second (our coverage focused on the ceremony with very little commentary and it only cut away for commercials). Why would Grant have been with her?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 29th, 2012, 8:59 am

colchar wrote:
My favorite scene from the opening ceremony was seeing Grant Hill with Michelle Obama.
I didn't see Grant and Mrs. Obama was only on for a split second (our coverage focused on the ceremony with very little commentary and it only cut away for commercials). Why would Grant have been with her?
Because Michelle Obama asked him to go to the Olympics with her. He is Grant Hill, after all.

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2012/07/26/21080/

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 29th, 2012, 2:18 pm

CathyCA wrote:
colchar wrote:
Because Michelle Obama asked him to go to the Olympics with her. He is Grant Hill, after all.

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2012/07/26/21080/

I figured it must have something to do with his mother.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 29th, 2012, 2:37 pm

I just saw DinK's niece, Michelle Beadle, on the Olympics!

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 29th, 2012, 4:50 pm

CathyCA wrote:I just saw DinK's niece, Michelle Beadle, on the Olympics!

Is she on the main NBC channel or the NBC sports channel? I figured she'd be at the Olympics. Lucky dog!
I worship the Blue Devil!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 29th, 2012, 6:01 pm

Lavabe wrote:colchar's response is exactly why I love CTN. Many thanks, colchar. I still hope you lose at the Brickyard, tomorrow. ;)

Now that I am feeling better and am thinking more clearly, I should point out that the cellular phone/modern love story thing was also a tribute to Tim Berners Lee who invented the World Wide Web (ie. his invention made that couple's love story possible). When they raised the house at the end of it, that was him sitting in there at a computer.

Despite feeling better I still sucked at the Brickyard though!
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 29th, 2012, 7:44 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I just saw DinK's niece, Michelle Beadle, on the Olympics!

Is she on the main NBC channel or the NBC sports channel? I figured she'd be at the Olympics. Lucky dog!
Michelle was on the main NBC channel. She was doing a social media feature. She is so gregarious--perfect for that position!

~ James Naismith
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » July 29th, 2012, 9:51 pm

Am pretty sure I must've seen her too since I've done nothing all weekend but sit in front of the TV watching everything Olympic NBC offers including sports I never watch any other time except Olympics! I even fist pump and holler - almost as rowdy as DUKE BB! Mr. ID out of town and the dog thinks I'm nuts! Will listen more carefully for the names of the NBC folks to be sure I catch her next time! :happy-bouncyblue:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 29th, 2012, 10:54 pm

CathyCA wrote:Here's a link to a picture of Lauren at the opening ceremonies: http://instagram.com/p/Nms7PErN2T/?ref=nf
This is way cool! :happy-bouncyblue:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 30th, 2012, 12:05 am

I believe that Jordyn Wieber was robbed. In what other sport is the person with the 4th highest score not allowed to compete for the all-around title, simply because two of her teammates scored higher? That just seems wrong and terribly unfair.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » July 30th, 2012, 7:18 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I believe that Jordyn Wieber was robbed. In what other sport is the person with the 4th highest score not allowed to compete for the all-around title, simply because two of her teammates scored higher? That just seems wrong and terribly unfair.

I agree!!!!! I know there is a rule, about the Top 2 scores from each country advance for the All Around Title. But is seems unfair. The Top Scorers should advance.

Jordyn just had a few bobbles here and there, on first day games. I think she might have stepped out of bounds doing the Floor exercise, which deducts .5 .

I hope Jordyn can just put this behind her, and perform her best for the Individual (Beam, UnEven, Vault, Floor Exercise) and the Team!!! Go Team USA!!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 30th, 2012, 10:21 am

Sorry, but Wieber was not robbed. Plain and simple. She knew the rules. She bobbled bad; the American women are very strong, and could take 3 of the top 5, but gymnastics has its rules. Douglas won the Trials, and is consistent. Would love to see two US on the medal stand.
The beam did not help Wieber. Christine Brennan described Wieber as shaky.

Meanwhile, congrats to Raisman, the team captain. Maybe she could beat Douglas?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 30th, 2012, 10:46 am

Lavabe wrote:Sorry, but Wieber was not robbed. Plain and simple. She knew the rules. She bobbled bad; the American women are very strong, and could take 3 of the top 5, but gymnastics has its rules. Douglas won the Trials, and is consistent. Would love to see two US on the medal stand.

I agree with Lavabe. She just didn't do as well as her teammates and per the rules, didn't qualify to move on. The best team, or player, doesn't always win, even though she is better than most of the rest of the field.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 30th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Lavabe wrote:Sorry, but Wieber was not robbed. Plain and simple. She knew the rules. She bobbled bad; the American women are very strong, and could take 3 of the top 5, but gymnastics has its rules. Douglas won the Trials, and is consistent. Would love to see two US on the medal stand.

I am 100% in agreement. Those were the rules. You have to deliver the goods on the day. Weiber knew it too...her coach TOLD her how close it was before beam and floor.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 30th, 2012, 8:02 pm

I watched the equestrian event on my iPad at work today, or rather I had the equestrian event playing on my iPad while I was working today. I did catch some of it, especially the Queen's granddaughter, Zara Phillips. I'll be watching more from my iPad over the next two weeks.

Hey Bob Costas, Buckingham Palace is the official residence of the Queen, not the royal family.
I worship the Blue Devil!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 30th, 2012, 8:49 pm

What I was trying to say is that I think the rule stinks. I've thought the rule was lousy since the late 80s or early 90s when the top Soviet (if I recall correctly) gymnast didn't qualify for the All-Around. The difference was that the USSR coaching team came up with a phantom illness/injury for the person that did qualify - the interloper, so to speak. The replacement was their top gymnast, who didn't qualify based upon the now-infamous rule. She ended up winning a medal. Can't remember for sure which color, but I think it was the gold. In this particular case, the person robbed was the one who had to bow out so that the team's top gymnast could participate in the All-Around finals. She should not have had to do so.

I'm a huge fan of both Raisman and Douglas and would love to see them both with medals, but I will stand by my earlier statement that Wieber should be in the discussion as well - as should the Russian gymnast who came in 9th but can't compete because of the two teammates who placed ahead of her.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 30th, 2012, 9:20 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:

What I was trying to say is that I think the rule stinks. I've thought the rule was lousy since the late 80s or early 90s when the top Soviet (if I recall correctly) gymnast didn't qualify for the All-Around. The difference was that the USSR coaching team came up with a phantom illness/injury for the person that did qualify - the interloper, so to speak. The replacement was their top gymnast, who didn't qualify based upon the now-infamous rule. She ended up winning a medal. Can't remember for sure which color, but I think it was the gold. In this particular case, the person robbed was the one who had to bow out so that the team's top gymnast could participate in the All-Around finals. She should not have had to do so

I'm a huge fan of both Raisman and Douglas and would love to see them both with medals, but I will stand by my earlier statement that Wieber should be in the discussion as well - as should the Russian gymnast who came in 9th but can't compete because of the two teammates who placed ahead of her.
I understand the sentiment but if you have to finish top two, you finish top two or you sit down. Wieber did not do what she needed to in order to compete in the all around. In a track or swimming heat if the top two advance from each heat - if you happen to run third in your heat but are faster than a top two finisher in another heat that's too bad.

I remember the Russian incident - it was Tatiana Gutsu. Yes, they got the team doctor to say the girl was "injured" and essentially thumbed their nose at the rule. Still, only two competed and I would hope that Marta wouldn't stoop that low.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 30th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Good memory, windsor! It was Tatiana Gutsu. I had to Google to find out that it was the 1992 Olympics. She barely beat Shannon Miller for the All-Around gold medal. I'm with you: I don't think Marta Karolyi is dishonest enough to stoop to the level of the Unified Team coaches in the 1992 incident. I remember feeling really badly for the gymnast who was forced to withdraw due to a "knee injury" so Gutsu could have her spot in the finals.

I didn't think it was only the first two in a particular heat that advanced for swimming and track; I thought there was some consideration made for qualifying times. Are there, maybe, a certain number of slots reserved for those outside the top two in each heat with the fastest times? At-large slots, so to speak?
-- Albert Einstein