Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: The Official Take this job and SHOVE IT! Thread

Post by DukePA » February 3rd, 2012, 7:00 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Today was a most interesting day. PHB asked me yesterday to generate a list of projects with work remaining, which I did. First thing this morning, I received a response from him. He asked me to continue working on data analysis for the projects on my list after I move to UTMB. This is actually win-win: more visibility for me, and it lets me tie up some projects for which no one else in the lab (including PHB) is capable of doing the necessary work. I've broken the news to all of these people that I'm moving and am awaiting word on who wants to keep working with me.

Also interesting: he asked me to do some work on the cancer project - again, some stuff that NuBarbie can't do. Even offered to buy the necessary software for me to do the work. I got the blessing from my future boss to do all of this, and he even offered to buy the software for me so I'd have it to work with. (score!) The last offer from PHB, a huge surprise, is really beneficial for me. It is never a bad thing to have some visibility in a consortium that includes top scientists in my field - people at Vandy, The Broad Institute (MIT/Harvard), and Johns Hopkins, for example.

I find it interesting that the response came this morning. After having a little time for the reality to sink in, did someone realize that he's hosed? :D :ymdevil:
You are no longer an underling! You are now a valuable resource, someone he knows he can't replace with a quick hire off the street! Is he going to pay you for your work as a consultant? He should, at top "expert" rates!
I totally agree with Ozzie. Well done AD!! I am so, so proud of my sis!!!!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 3rd, 2012, 7:06 pm

DukePA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Today was a most interesting day. PHB asked me yesterday to generate a list of projects with work remaining, which I did. First thing this morning, I received a response from him. He asked me to continue working on data analysis for the projects on my list after I move to UTMB. This is actually win-win: more visibility for me, and it lets me tie up some projects for which no one else in the lab (including PHB) is capable of doing the necessary work. I've broken the news to all of these people that I'm moving and am awaiting word on who wants to keep working with me.

Also interesting: he asked me to do some work on the cancer project - again, some stuff that NuBarbie can't do. Even offered to buy the necessary software for me to do the work. I got the blessing from my future boss to do all of this, and he even offered to buy the software for me so I'd have it to work with. (score!) The last offer from PHB, a huge surprise, is really beneficial for me. It is never a bad thing to have some visibility in a consortium that includes top scientists in my field - people at Vandy, The Broad Institute (MIT/Harvard), and Johns Hopkins, for example.

I find it interesting that the response came this morning. After having a little time for the reality to sink in, did someone realize that he's hosed? :D :ymdevil:
You are no longer an underling! You are now a valuable resource, someone he knows he can't replace with a quick hire off the street! Is he going to pay you for your work as a consultant? He should, at top "expert" rates!
I totally agree with Ozzie. Well done AD!! I am so, so proud of my sis!!!!
Me too! Me too!

You know, one night we should all get on Section 21 and have a new job party in AD's honor. It would have to be BYOB....
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 3rd, 2012, 7:09 pm

Looking good.
Sounds like you're now a colleague. :-o
Kudos to the UTMB folks for being so up for this.
Find out about maintaining your current library privileges and email for about 1 year or so after you leave. This would facilitate the collaborative efforts during this transition period, AND will also make it easier for you to convert all your emails that colleagues elsewhere have for you.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 3rd, 2012, 7:10 pm

What up with the collaborator on the grant? :-\
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 3rd, 2012, 7:27 pm

Lavabe wrote:What up with the collaborator on the grant? :-\
I still need to send her an apologetic email. Left work with a migraine today, so it hasn't happened yet.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » February 4th, 2012, 12:22 am

I'm a bit late in joining the party, but congratulations, Arkie!!!

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » February 4th, 2012, 8:47 am

Congrats on the new job!
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » February 4th, 2012, 12:44 pm

I really wanna participate in this TAKE THIS JOBAND SHOVE IT, but I am a little paranoid/superstitious at the moment. Although I have tons to unload on my current job, I just am gonna hold it all in until I actually sytart the new job.
But otherwise, I am with ya'll!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 4th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Ad, I hope your migraine is gone!!!! :ymhug: :wizard: :ymsmug: :wizard: :wizard:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » February 4th, 2012, 5:00 pm

Gosh am I proud to know all you straight thinkers or what!?!?!?

Crazie Talkers sure have their acts together.

Love, Ima
PS: have you picked out your new cowboy boots, Arkie? Don't forget you need a white hat too, 'cause you're sure one of the good guys. ;)
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » February 5th, 2012, 12:10 am

Congrats!!!!! Such great news!!!!!
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
-- DukeUsul
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 5th, 2012, 9:28 am

knights68 wrote:I really wanna participate in this TAKE THIS JOBAND SHOVE IT, but I am a little paranoid/superstitious at the moment. Although I have tons to unload on my current job, I just am gonna hold it all in until I actually sytart the new job.

Thou shalt burn no bridges before their time.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 5th, 2012, 9:59 am

windsor wrote:
knights68 wrote:I really wanna participate in this TAKE THIS JOBAND SHOVE IT, but I am a little paranoid/superstitious at the moment. Although I have tons to unload on my current job, I just am gonna hold it all in until I actually sytart the new job.

Thou shalt burn no bridges before their time.
As always, wise words from windsor. ^:)^
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » February 5th, 2012, 11:13 am

And we're with you, too, 68. One thing at a time. The future looks bright ahead!!! But, it ain't here quite yet. Enjoy the process.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 17th, 2012, 9:51 am

I believe the relevant Bugs Bunny line to use is at roughly the 6:50 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFrUY2kMlfA
"So long, Sammy!! See you in Miami!! "
Or in this case, Galveston will do.

I still like "and don't think this hasn't been a little slice of heaven... cause it hasn't."
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 17th, 2012, 10:25 am

It's been a long time coming but today is the day. Enjoy every minute and don't forget to order the most expensive thing you can find for lunch today. :ymhug:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 17th, 2012, 7:33 pm

How are you Arkie?

:ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 17th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Had a nice lunch today at the Downtown Athletic Club with my co-workers, minus NuBarbie (still recovering from the stomach flu, which is fine with me). Finished my last task from PHB just before lunch, then packed up my books and desk. Gave a last-minute lesson on some important instrument methods to 2 (now former) colleagues, packed up the car, and headed for my niece's swim meet in St. Peters. Just got home.

The Minion and PPI had a meeting with PHB just before our departure for lunch. As has been the case for the last couple of weeks, The Minion did not speak to me at all. After PPI and PHB's usual post meeting, closed door pow-wow, PPI hunted me down and wished me luck with the new job. Gave me a wimpy hand-shake, too. Sayonara, sucker.

Part of me wonders if The Minion and PPI realize that they are, in large part, responsible for my departure - or if they even care. I just know I'm glad I don't have to deal with them. :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:

There's one piece of software in the lab that no one else knows how to use. PHB wanted me to show Blustery. I tried to teach him today; he absolutely refused to learn. I told him, "You realize that, after I walk out the dooor, no one else in the lab knows how to use this software, right?" His answer was that he didn't care and that I should show someone else. L-) Annoyingly, this will be one of those things that I'll be bad-mouthed for not showing anyone before I leave. Blustery will never volunteer the fact that I tried to show him and he flat-out refused to learn.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » February 18th, 2012, 10:10 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
There's one piece of software in the lab that no one else knows how to use. PHB wanted me to show Blustery. I tried to teach him today; he absolutely refused to learn. I told him, "You realize that, after I walk out the dooor, no one else in the lab knows how to use this software, right?" His answer was that he didn't care and that I should show someone else. L-) Annoyingly, this will be one of those things that I'll be bad-mouthed for not showing anyone before I leave. Blustery will never volunteer the fact that I tried to show him and he flat-out refused to learn.
When he needs it and can't use it...well, that'll be his own little boogie-woogie then, won't it?

BTW, you have all this testimony written out for you right here. And, now that you're gone, if they can't take a joke...

"FUCK 'EM!
:D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 16th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Bringing this thread back to the front page for windsor... :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :9f: :O3
-- Albert Einstein