Smile Scholarship

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Smile Scholarship

Post by CathyCA » June 4th, 2009, 9:31 am

CellR wrote:This keeps on getting better and better. Anyone else who knows my grandparents? Haha :))
Maybe Wilson knows your grandfather from his days in the history department at ECU.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » June 4th, 2009, 9:47 am

CellR wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:You just haven't been caught yet. :ymdevil:
Pshh...
What trouble can I get in in New Bern?
Dude that is a loaded question! I grew up in Havelock (well Middle and High School), and there is tonnnnnns of trouble you can get into. :ymsmug:
sMiles
Johnboy
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Johnboy » June 4th, 2009, 10:02 am

CathyCA wrote: John, what were you doing in Greenville?
How we got to Greenville is a kind of long story, but suffice to say, we were living in Norfolk, VA until we had our first child. My wife got homesick and wanted to be closer to her folks. We agreed to move back to this area, and she got a job at PCMH, we bought a house in Eastwood (318 Brookside Drive) and a couple months later I landed a job at Hardee's Food Systems in Rocky Mount. We lived in G-vegas for four years until we found a historic home in Li'l Washington and we've lived here ever since.
"And Johnboy is right" - lawgrad91
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 4th, 2009, 10:12 am

Johnboy wrote:
How we got to Greenville is a kind of long story, but suffice to say, we were living in Norfolk, VA until we had our first child. My wife got homesick and wanted to be closer to her folks. We agreed to move back to this area, and she got a job at PCMH, we bought a house in Eastwood (318 Brookside Drive) and a couple months later I landed a job at Hardee's Food Systems in Rocky Mount. We lived in G-vegas for four years until we found a historic home in Li'l Washington and we've lived here ever since.
A historic home? Please share details.
I worship the Blue Devil!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 4th, 2009, 10:29 am

Johnboy wrote:
Haha! I used to work for Hardee's, uh, but it was the summer after my freshman year in college. My job was quite different from yours, I imagine. I worked at the Hardee's on 10th Street in Roanoke Rapids. "May I take your order, please?" (Or as most of the cashiers used to say: "Take y'order?") :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Does your wife still work at PCMH?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Johnboy

Post by Johnboy » June 4th, 2009, 11:25 am

TillyGalore wrote: A historic home? Please share details.
Um . . . that's possibly a misleading phrase upon further review. It really should read "a home in the historic district" rather than a "historic home" (which may imply that something historic occurred there or some noteworthy person lived there or something).

The main part of our house was built between 1886 and 1895, and has had major renovations since then. The first major renovations, in or just after 1915, added a second floor and made the simple "dog trot" style clapboard one-story into a two-story Arts & Crafts style house. The old hospital (now converted to really cool condos) is around the corner, and we're told that our house had nurses living there as tenants at one time. in the 1960's the kitchen was renovated and the back of the house was closed in, increasing the kitchen space from a galley type kitchen to a modern one with an eating area and lots of counters, cabinets (57) and drawers (29). It's just a reasonably big (~3,500 s.f.) old drafty house that's a lot of trouble, but we love it.
Johnboy

Post by Johnboy » June 4th, 2009, 11:33 am

CathyCA wrote: Haha! I used to work for Hardee's, uh, but it was the summer after my freshman year in college. My job was quite different from yours, I imagine. I worked at the Hardee's on 10th Street in Roanoke Rapids. "May I take your order, please?" (Or as most of the cashiers used to say: "Take y'order?") :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Does your wife still work at PCMH?
Yeah, I was in the office of the General Counsel before, during and after the purchase of the company by CKE Enterprises, Inc. (better known as "Carl's Jr.").

My wife started working at Beaufort County General shortly after we moved to Washington, but she now works as a Certified Diabetes Educator for Sanofi-Aventis, the makers of Lantus and Apidra insulin products (along with a bunch of other medications).

So I've gone small (solo practitioner in Chocowinity) and she's gone with Big Pharma.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 4th, 2009, 11:38 am

Voted again. He's at 96. Here's the link!

http://www.brickfish.com/Pages/PhotosAl ... 6&scid=438

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 5th, 2009, 2:48 pm

CathyCA wrote:
CellR wrote:This keeps on getting better and better. Anyone else who knows my grandparents? Haha :))
Maybe Wilson knows your grandfather from his days in the history department at ECU.
Wait, are we talking about Henry Ferrell? Yeah, I know him. I never took his class, but after I found out he went to Duke, we struck up a periodic conversation about games and such.
He had something of a foreboding reputation...even among graduate students, the adage was that "there's no A in Ferrell".
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 5th, 2009, 3:08 pm

wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Wait, are we talking about Henry Ferrell? Yeah, I know him. I never took his class, but after I found out he went to Duke, we struck up a periodic conversation about games and such.
He had something of a foreboding reputation...even among graduate students, the adage was that "there's no A in Ferrell".
Yes, that's who we're talking about! :D

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 5th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Wow, you guys need to get a room, or at least a PM. ;) Bone is gonna get jealous. X(

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 5th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Not to be boring and bring this back on topic, but I just voted again, and he's up to 91 again! Yay! :ymapplause:

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » June 5th, 2009, 10:13 pm

Miles wrote:Dude that is a loaded question! I grew up in Havelock (well Middle and High School), and there is tonnnnnns of trouble you can get into. :ymsmug:
Haha, you're right. :ymdevil:
wilson wrote:Wait, are we talking about Henry Ferrell? Yeah, I know him. I never took his class, but after I found out he went to Duke, we struck up a periodic conversation about games and such.
Wow, he needs to join this board.
I suppose he would be very intimidating to many students...

Story:
My dad was in medical school at ECU if I'm not mistaken, a recent graduate of UNC. My mom brought him home for the first time to meet her parents. They sit down, and are about to begin to eat dinner when my granddad, sitting at the head of the table, asks my dad in his intimidating history professor voice: "Mr. Patterson, would you like to ask the blessing for us this evening?"

Just a taste of his personality I guess. Luckily I haven't ever been grilled or questioned by him :D
bjornolf wrote:Not to be boring and bring this back on topic, but I just voted again, and he's up to 91 again! Yay! :ymapplause:

%%-
And thank you very much for keeping this thread on-topic bjornolf! Much appreciated :-bd
Class of 2014
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 6th, 2009, 6:45 am

Crap. Voted again. You're back to 92 again. What the heck! X( I'm starting to think this thing is rigged! :-w

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 6th, 2009, 11:45 am

bjornolf wrote:Crap. Voted again. You're back to 92 again. What the heck! X( I'm starting to think this thing is rigged! :-w

%%-
I think it is... :x
Class of 2014
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 6th, 2009, 12:11 pm

~ James Naismith
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 6th, 2009, 2:00 pm

Just voted again, too.
Is the old original Hardee's still operating there in Greenville? So much difference now from what they were then. My cousin went to ECU and took me there years ago. His Senior year, he was a PE major and resided in the locker room in Ficklin.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 6th, 2009, 7:20 pm

captmojo wrote:Just voted again, too.
Is the old original Hardee's still operating there in Greenville? So much difference now from what they were then. My cousin went to ECU and took me there years ago. His Senior year, he was a PE major and resided in the locker room in Ficklin.
Oh, I'm afraid that I don't know where the original Hardee's was located in Greenville. I'm still "new" here--it hasn't been a year yet!

If you tell me where the original Hardee's was located, I'll go find out if it's still there.

~ James Naismith
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 7th, 2009, 12:02 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Oh, I'm afraid that I don't know where the original Hardee's was located in Greenville. I'm still "new" here--it hasn't been a year yet!

If you tell me where the original Hardee's was located, I'll go find out if it's still there.
It was so long ago, I was too young to find my way out of town, much less anything else. I do remember him telling me it was Mr Hardee's original, and we ate there. This was about 1970.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Johnboy

Post by Johnboy » June 8th, 2009, 9:21 pm

captmojo wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

It was so long ago, I was too young to find my way out of town, much less anything else. I do remember him telling me it was Mr Hardee's original, and we ate there. This was about 1970.
Not only is it gone, there's no way of telling, unless you'd been there before, that it ever existed. IIRC, it was near the corner of either Evans or Memorial (?) and 14th Street. I worked for Hardee's Food Systems (as a lawyer from 1996-1999) and lived in Greenville. I found out where it had been out of curiosity. The site is an office now, again, IIRC. It's been 10 years since I thought about it., and nearly 10 years since I lived in Greenville.