McDonald's burgers suck

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: McDonald's burgers suck

Post by Jesus_hurley » September 15th, 2010, 12:48 pm

bjornolf wrote:6. If you don't like the burgers, try the bacon cheese dog. Those are absolutely heavenly.
knights68 wrote:Oh gosh, I was actually gonna try that, but I thought I should, on my first time :ymblushing: , try a burger. The much ballyhooed burger and fries. Bah Humbug [-(
Not to beat the dead horse (TOO LATE), but it sounds to me like you just went to the wrong franchise. (we need a beating dead horse smilie...I think I'd use that almost every day!) :D

While not a smilie, here's one you can use:
beating-a-dead-horse.gif
beating-a-dead-horse.gif (18.69 KiB) Viewed 288 times
(Note, this is not a real picture but an animated gif. No horses were hurt in the making of or posting of this picture)
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » September 15th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:
bjornolf wrote:6. If you don't like the burgers, try the bacon cheese dog. Those are absolutely heavenly.
knights68 wrote:Oh gosh, I was actually gonna try that, but I thought I should, on my first time :ymblushing: , try a burger. The much ballyhooed burger and fries. Bah Humbug [-(
Not to beat the dead horse (TOO LATE), but it sounds to me like you just went to the wrong franchise. (we need a beating dead horse smilie...I think I'd use that almost every day!) :D

While not a smilie, here's one you can use:
The attachment beating-a-dead-horse.gif is no longer available
(Note, this is not a real picture but an animated gif. No horses were hurt in the making of or posting of this picture)
Or this one:
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif (4.19 KiB) Viewed 288 times
Although that looks like an ass...
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 16th, 2010, 6:54 pm

Found the McDonald's here in Kyoto. Have not tried it. Just won't do it.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » September 17th, 2010, 12:59 pm

Lavabe wrote:Found the McDonald's here in Kyoto. Have not tried it. Just won't do it.
No shrimp filet-o?
shrimp_fileto.JPG
shrimp_fileto.JPG (12.01 KiB) Viewed 267 times
Or mac-pork?
mac_pork.JPG
mac_pork.JPG (11.92 KiB) Viewed 267 times
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 17th, 2010, 4:05 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Found the McDonald's here in Kyoto. Have not tried it. Just won't do it.
No shrimp filet-o?
shrimp_fileto.JPG
Or mac-pork?
mac_pork.JPG
They'd sell more codfish roe than they would the shrimp filet-o.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » December 3rd, 2010, 2:35 pm

But seriously, if today's blood work comes back good, what hamburger should I have? =p~
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 3rd, 2010, 3:52 pm

Lavabe wrote:But seriously, if today's blood work comes back good, what hamburger should I have? =p~
My PA told me that I could eat a regular cheeseburger, sans ketchup.

I would recommend a Burger King hamburger, since they are grilled over an open flame and so much of the grease burns and drips off.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 3rd, 2010, 4:58 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote:But seriously, if today's blood work comes back good, what hamburger should I have? =p~

I would recommend a Burger King hamburger, since they are grilled over an open flame and so much of the grease burns and drips off.
The $1 double cheeseburger from Hardee's with the coupon I have.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » December 3rd, 2010, 6:03 pm

CathyCA wrote:

Grilling over an open flame provides no additional nutritional benefit. The nutritional facts for a McDonald's Cheeseburger and Burger King Cheeseburger are nearly identical.
sMiles
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 3rd, 2010, 6:07 pm

Miles wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Grilling over an open flame provides no additional nutritional benefit. The nutritional facts for a McDonald's Cheeseburger and Burger King Cheeseburger are nearly identical.
It takes slightly more calories to digest crispier food, such as burgers with burn marks or darker toast. At least that's what the Nutrition Diva said once.... :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Miles

Post by Miles » December 3rd, 2010, 6:33 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Miles wrote:
CathyCA wrote: My PA told me that I could eat a regular cheeseburger, sans ketchup.

It takes slightly more calories to digest crispier food, such as burgers with burn marks or darker toast. At least that's what the Nutrition Diva said once.... :9f:
That may be true, but that's hardly a reason to choose one burger over the other, especially as a "healthier alternative".
sMiles
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » December 3rd, 2010, 7:25 pm

Miles wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

I've always been curious to know, but not curious enough to check myself, how these nutrition tests are conducted. What happens with the calorimeter, they put the food in, burn it and measure the heat produced right? Do they do this pre-cooking, post-cooking, etc.? How much variance does the cooking method create? I ask because on occasion when I brown ground beef, I drain the fat and wash it with hot water to remove excess fat. Certainly this fluid(fats/juices) can't be calorie free?
Miles

Post by Miles » December 3rd, 2010, 11:39 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
Miles wrote:
CathyCA wrote: My PA told me that I could eat a regular cheeseburger, sans ketchup.

I've always been curious to know, but not curious enough to check myself, how these nutrition tests are conducted. What happens with the calorimeter, they put the food in, burn it and measure the heat produced right? Do they do this pre-cooking, post-cooking, etc.? How much variance does the cooking method create? I ask because on occasion when I brown ground beef, I drain the fat and wash it with hot water to remove excess fat. Certainly this fluid(fats/juices) can't be calorie free?
According to Slate they:
But instead of burning anything, food laboratories often freeze their samples in liquid nitrogen and then blend them into a fine, monochromatic powder that can then be used in a variety of chemical analyses. In a Kjeldahl analysis, for example, lab techs remove nitrogen from the food powder and then use it to calculate the amount of protein the sample contains. A hexane extraction can gauge the amount of fat. Carbohydrates are usually measured by difference—they're what is left over when you remove everything else.
So I guess they could freeze a cheeseburger, post cooking, to determine the nutritional content. The article also goes on to explain that the FDA doesn't require companies reveal how they determine the nutritional content. So maybe Burger King and McDonald's are using different methods, maybe methods that provide more desirable effect.

I think that you're definitely saving on calories and fat content by rinsing your ground beef. I imagine it has a for more dramatic effect than "flame broiling" a factory-farmed, "meat" patty compared to grilling it on a flattop. Either way, when comparing fast food chains, I don't think there's really a healthier advantage of going to one chain over the other.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 4th, 2010, 3:40 am

Of those choices, I'd definitely pick Wendy's over McDonald's or Burger King or Hardee's. I think they just taste better. However, if I had to eat a cheeseburger from anywhere, Five Guys would be my choice. :D

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » December 4th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Agreed. They do suck. Therefore Lisa and I are picking up some Only Burger for dinner tonight.
-- DukeUsul
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » December 4th, 2010, 6:07 pm

Despite all the haters, I had a Big Mac today!