Brunchgate 2010 - Alabama Game Sept. 18 - Social topics

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: Brunchgate 2010 - Alabama Game Sept. 18 - Social topics

Post by DukieInKansas » September 13th, 2010, 5:41 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Thanks all! Shin kicks welcome and appreciated, DukePA. Last month I asked the boss about my vacation (I was supposed to leave TODAY) and he said it wouldn't be a problem. Then my departure got pushed back to the end of the week due to this big grant that came up a couple of weeks ago. He even said we should have all the data we need by Wednesday. He decided over the weekend that we needed additional data for the grant, and I'm the only one in the lab that can do the work. It involves a type of experiment we have never done in our lab. Not only did I have to completely cancel my vacation, which I had been planning since last spring, but I'm probably going to have to work next weekend. X( To say that I am angry is an understatement.
Now I'm even more upset! I'm sending additional shinkicks to your boss. Will he be working over the weekend for this grant or just you? If just you, my kicks may have to be a little harder and higher.
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 13th, 2010, 5:41 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Thanks all! Shin kicks welcome and appreciated, DukePA. Last month I asked the boss about my vacation (I was supposed to leave TODAY) and he said it wouldn't be a problem. Then my departure got pushed back to the end of the week due to this big grant that came up a couple of weeks ago. He even said we should have all the data we need by Wednesday. He decided over the weekend that we needed additional data for the grant, and I'm the only one in the lab that can do the work. It involves a type of experiment we have never done in our lab. Not only did I have to completely cancel my vacation, which I had been planning since last spring, but I'm probably going to have to work next weekend. X( To say that I am angry is an understatement.
Sounds like HE needs to PAY for your replacement vacation in October, say October 15 and 16 (and appropriate surrounding dates to accommodate your other needs. You could go to Countdown to Crazieness on Friday night the 15th and the Miami game on Saturday the 16th! And you'll meet Bob Green at Brunchgate and the game (he's using 2 of the 4 tickets, you can use one or both of the others). Just a suggestion!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 13th, 2010, 5:50 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
Now I'm even more upset! I'm sending additional shinkicks to your boss. Will he be working over the weekend for this grant or just you? If just you, my kicks may have to be a little harder and higher.
My boss is a complete and total workaholic. I'm sure he will be working all weekend; he works every weekend. I got e-mails about this particular project all weekend long. My coworkers and I start getting e-mails from him every day around 6:00 a.m.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 13th, 2010, 5:52 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Sounds like HE needs to PAY for your replacement vacation in October, say October 15 and 16 (and appropriate surrounding dates to accommodate your other needs. You could go to Countdown to Crazieness on Friday night the 15th and the Miami game on Saturday the 16th! And you'll meet Bob Green at Brunchgate and the game (he's using 2 of the 4 tickets, you can use one or both of the others). Just a suggestion!
That's an interesting idea. I like it. I don't dare schedule anything official, though, for fear that I'll have to cancel again. Let's just say this isn't the first trip I've had to cancel because something came up at work.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 13th, 2010, 6:23 pm

My kicks are aimed a little higher.... :teasing-nutkick: :teasing-nutkick:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 13th, 2010, 10:10 pm

AD, your boss is a hemorrhoid.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 13th, 2010, 10:20 pm

CathyCA wrote:AD, your boss is a hemorrhoid.
Gee, and here I was thinking her boss was a perfect asshole. Guess I was wrong. =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 13th, 2010, 10:28 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Gee, and here I was thinking her boss was a perfect asshole. Guess I was wrong. =))
:)) =)) Ozzie, what were you thinking?
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 13th, 2010, 10:33 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
He's an imperfect ass.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 13th, 2010, 10:35 pm

Eh, could be worse. Current boss doesn't ask anyone to do anything he wouldn't do himself. Although the constant change in direction is a bit frustrating, I'd take that any day of the week over Supervisor Barbie. She interrupted her personal cell phone calls and MySpace time to give me extra work, all while taking 2 hr lunch breaks and leaving early. True story: I had to cancel plans to go out and celebrate my birthday (after getting to work early and taking a short lunch break) because she assigned me to stay and watch the intern so she could leave early. And, yes, she took a 2 hr lunch break that day. Trust me - 2 years with Supervisor Barbie completely changes one's perspective on what constitutes a bad boss.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2010, 11:13 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:My kicks are aimed a little higher.... :teasing-nutkick: :teasing-nutkick:
Wonder if Tilly will notice that this is probably the 1st time this smilie has been used on CTN outside of my mass smilie postings. Well played. :clap: ^:)^

:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 14th, 2010, 6:43 am

devildeac wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:My kicks are aimed a little higher.... :teasing-nutkick: :teasing-nutkick:
Wonder if Tilly will notice that this is probably the 1st time this smilie has been used on CTN outside of my mass smilie postings. Well played. :clap: ^:)^

This must have been done BEFORE CTN had to go through maintenance. Where do we find that smilie?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 14th, 2010, 8:53 am

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:

This must have been done BEFORE CTN had to go through maintenance. Where do we find that smilie?
It was done before the maintenance.
Iron Duke #1471997.
TNTDevil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by TNTDevil » September 16th, 2010, 1:52 am

Something to keep in mind about this game and the Tailgate- This will mark the first time in, well, my history with Duke Football, that we've been slotted for the coveted 3:30 KO.

What does this mean? It means we're an ABC Regional (possibly National, have yet to check the TV schedule) game! Lots and lots of eyeballs. Given our Prime Location and our "Prime" menu (did anybody see what I did there?) :-\; the CTN tent stands a better than average chance of getting "face-time" on teh TeeVee!

So, dress appropriately. Be prepared to be an intelligent interview (DevilDeac- don't puke on the cameraman this time and,Ozzie- no Snapple :D) and, let's make sure that, should the cameras stop in for a visit, we set the standard for Duke tailgating. (I :swear: to teh Creator, if ANYBODY, in our group, sez: "We're number one!" on teh TeeVee, I'll personally gut you with either a :spork: or, with none handy, one of DevilDeac's crappy plastic serving spoons.) <DD, this post alone should be good for 10-12 posts. Send the $50 to the previously agreed address.>

Anyhoo, in all seriousness, regardless of what happens on the field, this is a BIG game for Duke Football as a "program". Given Thad's (limited) success in the NFL and Renfree's growing stature, this game is gonna' mean a great deal to Duke Football in the future.

And we all get to participate. :D

:twocents:

P.S. Given AD's unfortunate absence, we need a cut-out (a la Sue71 last year) so that AD may, in spirit, be a part of this epic tailgate.
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 16th, 2010, 7:41 am

Bringing this over from the menu thread so I can comment on it:
Yes, some good deli cole slaw to go with the pastrami would be great! But the meat really does stand on it's own. I've got 4 loaves of rye (2 with seeds, 2 without seeds), but this stuff is really that finger licking good that you can just pick it up in your fingers (or with a fork if you want to be civilized ;) ) and eat it by itself plain! I can't wait to eat some of this stuff! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
GAG!

Maybe we should bring some hand sanitizer and wipes to go with the napkins.

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 16th, 2010, 9:27 am

TNTDevil wrote:Something to keep in mind about this game and the Tailgate- This will mark the first time in, well, my history with Duke Football, that we've been slotted for the coveted 3:30 KO.

What does this mean? It means we're an ABC Regional (possibly National, have yet to check the TV schedule) game! Lots and lots of eyeballs. Given our Prime Location and our "Prime" menu (did anybody see what I did there?) :-\; the CTN tent stands a better than average chance of getting "face-time" on teh TeeVee!

So, dress appropriately. Be prepared to be an intelligent interview (DevilDeac- don't puke on the cameraman this time and,Ozzie- no Snapple :D) and, let's make sure that, should the cameras stop in for a visit, we set the standard for Duke tailgating. (I :swear: to teh Creator, if ANYBODY, in our group, sez: "We're number one!" on teh TeeVee, I'll personally gut you with either a :spork: or, with none handy, one of DevilDeac's crappy plastic serving spoons.) <DD, this post alone should be good for 10-12 posts. Send the $50 to the previously agreed address.>

Anyhoo, in all seriousness, regardless of what happens on the field, this is a BIG game for Duke Football as a "program". Given Thad's (limited) success in the NFL and Renfree's growing stature, this game is gonna' mean a great deal to Duke Football in the future.

And we all get to participate. :D

:twocents:

P.S. Given AD's unfortunate absence, we need a cut-out (a la Sue71 last year) so that AD may, in spirit, be a part of this epic tailgate.
To set the record straight:

1. I did not puke on the the cameraguy/girl.
2. Our serving spoons/forks/ :spork: are always of the thick/heavy plastic variety and we don't serve/drink fake beer, don't bring cheap/unpalatable comestibles to Brunchgate/covered dish suppers.
3. And Ymo, Lavabe and I gave reasonably intelligent TV face time to the local CBS affiliate in Indy in April, especailly when they tried to suck us into the David vs Goliath trap and give Butler some "bulletin board/locker room" material.
4. So, :tease:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 16th, 2010, 11:29 am

Crap. A guy wearing an alabama sweatshirt just won $7K worth of prizes on The Price is Right.

This is just not good this week. . .

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 16th, 2010, 11:32 am

CathyCA wrote:Crap. A guy wearing an alabama sweatshirt just won $7K worth of prizes on The Price is Right.

After taxes, that's about $4.58. Don't worry about it.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 16th, 2010, 11:35 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Crap. A guy wearing an alabama sweatshirt just won $7K worth of prizes on The Price is Right.

That guy's already looking for a used RV to drive to the games. He'll be too busy to attend any games until he spends that money.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 16th, 2010, 11:49 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

That guy's already looking for a used RV to drive to the games. He'll be too busy to attend any games until he spends that money.
HA! He lost out in the Showcase Showdown!

I'm so bored.

~ James Naismith