Exercise!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Exercise!

Post by lawgrad91 » August 23rd, 2010, 8:54 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My exercise calories made the jump from 683 to 700 today. I walked home across Forest Park (227 calories!), and I've surpassed my target for the day. :ymparty:
Woo hoo, AD! You rock! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :duke:

I went to the gym but "my" treadmills were all taken, so I had to use the kind that bothers my shin splints. I did walk 16 minutes and run 8, and rode the exercise bike 10 minutes, and came home and washed the car.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 23rd, 2010, 9:04 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:My exercise calories made the jump from 683 to 700 today. I walked home across Forest Park (227 calories!), and I've surpassed my target for the day. :ymparty:

I went to the gym but "my" treadmills were all taken, so I had to use the kind that bothers my shin splints. I did walk 16 minutes and run 8, and rode the exercise bike 10 minutes, and came home and washed the car.
Bummer about the treadmills. Hopefully they'll be open next time you go.

You're WAY ahead of me - I don't run at all. I'm going to have to work up to that, though. DirectLife recommends 20 min running per day, and the activity monitor tracks walking vs running. Right now I can reach my target without it, but there will come a time when it won't be so easy.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 23rd, 2010, 10:22 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

Bummer about the treadmills. Hopefully they'll be open next time you go.

You're WAY ahead of me - I don't run at all. I'm going to have to work up to that, though. DirectLife recommends 20 min running per day, and the activity monitor tracks walking vs running. Right now I can reach my target without it, but there will come a time when it won't be so easy.
I haven't been running long. I started walking three minutes and running one, and now I'm walking two and running one, up to a total of 26 walking and 13 running, three days a week.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 24th, 2010, 7:59 pm

Grrr. I went to 3 stores (GameStop, Walmart, Target) this afternoon looking for Gold's Gym Cardio Boxing and Cardio Workout, without success. As if that weren't enough, I got an ocular migraine when I got home and now feel like a wrung-out washcloth. X(
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 24th, 2010, 8:13 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:As if that weren't enough, I got an ocular migraine when I got home and now feel like a wrung-out washcloth. X(
I HATE those. I once had one start to bloom in the middle of lecture. I don't know HOW I finished. After it's over, I feel like someone punched me all over.

I hope you're on the mend. :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 24th, 2010, 8:33 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Grrr. I went to 3 stores (GameStop, Walmart, Target) this afternoon looking for Gold's Gym Cardio Boxing and Cardio Workout, without success. As if that weren't enough, I got an ocular migraine when I got home and now feel like a wrung-out washcloth. X(
Ugh! Hope you're feeling better now!

I think I got both Cardio Workout (the boxing one) and Cardio Dance Workout (the new one) at Target. In fact, Cardio Dance Workout is on sale this week at Target. That may be why they don't have it. Best Buy usually has them, too.
Last edited by ArkieDukie on August 24th, 2010, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 24th, 2010, 8:40 pm

After doing 15 min of Gold's Gym Dance Workout, I hit my target for the day. Woo hoo!

I think I'm going to like this one once I get the hang of it. Its' like dance aerobics with latin dance steps. There's also some cardio boxing dance aerobics. The games are a bit cheesy imo, but I like the dance stuff.

From everything I've read about "Just Dance" it might be a great addition to the workout set. Will wait until I get bored with my current group, though.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 24th, 2010, 10:12 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:After doing 15 min of Gold's Gym Dance Workout, I hit my target for the day. Woo hoo!

I think I'm going to like this one once I get the hang of it. Its' like dance aerobics with latin dance steps. There's also some cardio boxing dance aerobics. The games are a bit cheesy imo, but I like the dance stuff.

From everything I've read about "Just Dance" it might be a great addition to the workout set. Will wait until I get bored with my current group, though.
You mean this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU8zNPpyxvA

If someone plays this (or another version) at the Alabama Brunchgate, I will try and talk Mrs. DD into 3-4 minutes of a cha-cha. Awesome dance song.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 24th, 2010, 10:21 pm

devildeac wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:After doing 15 min of Gold's Gym Dance Workout, I hit my target for the day. Woo hoo!

You mean this:

If someone plays this (or another version) at the Alabama Brunchgate, I will try and talk Mrs. DD into 3-4 minutes of a cha-cha. Awesome dance song.
It's already loaded in my iPod. Remind me. We'll hook it up to the speakers and you two can dance away!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 24th, 2010, 10:23 pm

devildeac wrote:

You mean this:

There's a Wii game called Just Dance, too (like the Lady GaGa song). Not surprisingly, the Lady GaGa song is featured in the game.

I have the song on my iPhone, which will be with me at the Alabama game.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 24th, 2010, 10:25 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:

You mean this:

It's already loaded in my iPod. Remind me. We'll hook it up to the speakers and you two can dance away!
I will dance to that in a Duke blue minute so I will try to convince my favorite :dance: partner to join me.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 24th, 2010, 10:27 pm

devildeac wrote:I will dance to that in a Duke blue minute so I will try to convince my favorite :dance: partner to join me.
Way cool! :dance:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 24th, 2010, 10:27 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
devildeac wrote:

You mean this:

There's a Wii game called Just Dance, too (like the Lady GaGa song). Not surprisingly, the Lady GaGa song is featured in the game.

I have the song on my iPhone, which will be with me at the Alabama game.
See my response to Cathy's post, too. :banana-tux:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 25th, 2010, 7:01 pm

Didn't we have a DBR yahoogroup workout thing a while back? Maybe we should resurrect it.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 25th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Lots of walking today, and I was on my feet a bit more than normal today due to the fact that I was doing bench work rather than desk work. Was at 100% before I left work. Did a bit of Wii just because I could - Wii tennis (I'm just under pro level!) and Gold's Gym Cardio Dance Workout. I tried the beginner routine to "Just Dance" and it kicked my butt, mainly because I am not coordinated enough to do the steps yet. Like this game a lot. Now if someone would only come out with a good step aerobics game to complement the dance aerobics and cardio boxing games that Gold's Gym has. EA Sports active has the best step aerobics, but they need better music and a bit more variety.

Lawgrad, have you had any luck finding the Gold's Gym workout games? If you can't find them in the store, you can order them from Amazon.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 25th, 2010, 10:13 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Lots of walking today, and I was on my feet a bit more than normal today due to the fact that I was doing bench work rather than desk work. Was at 100% before I left work. Did a bit of Wii just because I could - Wii tennis (I'm just under pro level!) and Gold's Gym Cardio Dance Workout. I tried the beginner routine to "Just Dance" and it kicked my butt, mainly because I am not coordinated enough to do the steps yet. Like this game a lot. Now if someone would only come out with a good step aerobics game to complement the dance aerobics and cardio boxing games that Gold's Gym has. EA Sports active has the best step aerobics, but they need better music and a bit more variety.

Lawgrad, have you had any luck finding the Gold's Gym workout games? If you can't find them in the store, you can order them from Amazon.
No luck yet, but I'm going to break down and order it from Amazon tonight.

I made the mistake of not exercising before Bruce got hold of the TV remote, but I did do some dumbbell lifting and stretching, and I did a lot of walking today in the courthouse and with the puppies. It took until about 5pm before I shook the cobwebs from my migraine last night, so maybe it was just as well that I didn't exercise too heavily.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 25th, 2010, 10:21 pm

Ordered Cardio Workout. Yippee! I can get the Dance Workout here. With my utter lack of coordination, I may or may not get it.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 25th, 2010, 10:31 pm

Try a workout to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwYn52fD ... re=related

I think we'd dance to "Just Dance" or this but not have enough energy for both :ymblushing: .
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » August 26th, 2010, 5:48 am

I got a 30 minute walk in right after work every evening this week (so far), and sat on my butt in too many meetings. I hope the walks at least cancelled out the meetings...
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 26th, 2010, 8:54 pm

Thirty minutes of EA Sports More Workouts Aerobics (Hard) with the Wii Fitness board, and thirty minutes of Wii tennis, fifteen minutes left-handed (where I'm a pro) and fifteen minutes right-handed (not so much). I had forgotten how much fun Wii tennis could be. Thanks for the reminder, AD!

My Gold's Gym Cardio Workout shipped today. :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.