Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Native
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Vibes for College Apps!

Post by Native » August 17th, 2010, 12:50 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Native wrote:Don't get the Honeymooners reference, but thanks for the kind words regarding my application! I guess I'm just looking for reasurrance more than anything else -- applying to college is terrifying, yet exciting at the same time.
Ralph Kramden was the name of a character on "The Honeymooners." He drove a bus.
In that case, =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 17th, 2010, 12:56 pm

Native, you should have your grandfather write one of your recommendations. One of the best recommendation letters that I have ever read was artfully and lovingly written by Rolvix's grandfather last fall. Your grandfather will be able to relate parts of your persona to the admissions committee that no teacher or principal could ever convey.

Don't obsess about the class rank or the GPA or the test scores--what you have already is wonderful! You have leadership skills that other applicants aren't going to be able to duplicate. Those distinguish you from other admissions applicants.

Have you considered applying to Trinity and then transferring in to Pratt later?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 17th, 2010, 1:02 pm

CathyCA wrote:Native, you should have your grandfather write one of your recommendations. One of the best recommendation letters that I have ever read was artfully and lovingly written by Rolvix's grandfather last fall. Your grandfather will be able to relate parts of your persona to the admissions committee that no teacher or principal could ever convey.

Don't obsess about the class rank or the GPA or the test scores--what you have already is wonderful! You have leadership skills that other applicants aren't going to be able to duplicate. Those distinguish you from other admissions applicants.

Have you considered applying to Trinity and then transferring in to Pratt later?
Good advice regarding the recommendation letters!
Native

Post by Native » August 17th, 2010, 1:11 pm

CathyCA wrote:Native, you should have your grandfather write one of your recommendations. One of the best recommendation letters that I have ever read was artfully and lovingly written by Rolvix's grandfather last fall. Your grandfather will be able to relate parts of your persona to the admissions committee that no teacher or principal could ever convey.

Oh, don't worry -- I've got Grandy on it. ;)

I've considered Trinity. The gift/curse I have is wanting to do everything! I figure I'd rather get a broad education at Duke and then focus on something specific in graduate school. What's the process like for transferring into Pratt from Trinity? The Duke website's mum on that.

I've also got my AP US History teacher -- a Duke grad who played baseball while at Duke -- to write one for me, if he feels comfortable doing so. A girl who ended up at State used him for her recommendation to Georgia Tech, and they sent a copy back saying how great the letter was. I'm among the few who got an A in his class, so he'll be able to write me a good one if he chooses.

I'm also going to see if my school principal will write one for me. It's evident he likes me, as he implored me to run for executive office my junior year and let me be the first Student Body President in school history to pick my own parking space. Could that count as a teacher recommendation?

Thanks for the kind words, guys!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2010, 1:34 pm

Native wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Native wrote:
I'd like to think I've done that. With AP Statistics this year, I'll have taken every AP Math my school offers, in addition to every AP English. The only area I've not taken pretty much everything offered is the sciences, where I took Honors Biology and Honors Chemistry and moved on. Not particularly my field of interest, so I decided against taking those AP's when I already have an A in the honors course. Plus, with Student Government Presidency, Varsity Lacrosse Captaincy, and all my other EC's I wanted some balance.
Sounds/looks extremely solid. GPA, courses, extracurriculars, athletics. Any community/church service activities/projects? I agree with you on the SATs. Take a review course or buy a few review manuals and work like heck through them.
I had a document I tried to cut and paste on here, but I guess it was too long.

Not much in the way of church stuff -- familiy's not too religious. I volunteer weekly at a place in Durham called Kramden Institute, whiech refurbishes donated computers and awards them for free to hardworking grade schoolchildren who have been nominated by their teachers and have no computer at home. Really rewarding, gratifying stuff -- I've learned a lot about computers and have made some great friends too. I never thought I could open up a computer tower and triage it, but I've learned how.

I've also done a few service projects through Student Government and Varsity Club, and I also am shooting a video for an organization called Toxic Free NC, which advocates against pesticide use and for organic agriculture.

I ws elected class president my freshman year without a run-off; basically, no matter the number of candidates, you have to have 50% of the vote or you run-off. I won a multi-candidate race my freshman and sophomore years, and then won Student Body VP and Student Body President my junior and senior years uncontested -- no one ran against me.

I'm the founding president of my school's Varsity Club, which aims to provide varsity student-athletes with an opportunity to give back to their schools and communities. I was a JV lacrosse captain my freshman year, lettered varsity and won scholar athlete for sophomore year, did the same but was a captain my junior year, and I am also a captain for my upcoming senior season. I'm also the founding Captain of the Catamount Club, which is a freshman/peer mentoring group focused towards new students. I was a freshman mentor last year, but this year the guidance counselors decided to make it a year-long club and named me a Captain responsible for organizing and running our freshman orientation day.

I also work for a company called TigerSwan, which is a government contractor founded by two 20+ year Delta Force/Army Ranger veterans. I've worked there for the past two summers.

I have NHS membership, Junior Marshal, I'm a 13-time Student Choice award winner (awarded by students to the person who best represents Panther Creek, I have the most at my high school) and a two-time Teacher's choice award winner. There's more, but it's much more concise on my list that I have on my home computer.

SAT's are it for me. I know every other student has everything I just listed, but I like my chances if I can get my SAT's up.

:D
Where would you like your acceptance letter sent? :D
:duke: Very, very impressive.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 17th, 2010, 2:29 pm

Native wrote:Not much in the way of church stuff -- familiy's not too religious. I volunteer weekly at a place in Durham called Kramden Institute, whiech refurbishes donated computers and awards them for free to hardworking grade schoolchildren who have been nominated by their teachers and have no computer at home. Really rewarding, gratifying stuff -- I've learned a lot about computers and have made some great friends too. I never thought I could open up a computer tower and triage it, but I've learned how.

I've also done a few service projects through Student Government and Varsity Club, and I also am shooting a video for an organization called Toxic Free NC, which advocates against pesticide use and for organic agriculture.

I ws elected class president my freshman year without a run-off; basically, no matter the number of candidates, you have to have 50% of the vote or you run-off. I won a multi-candidate race my freshman and sophomore years, and then won Student Body VP and Student Body President my junior and senior years uncontested -- no one ran against me.

I'm the founding president of my school's Varsity Club, which aims to provide varsity student-athletes with an opportunity to give back to their schools and communities. I was a JV lacrosse captain my freshman year, lettered varsity and won scholar athlete for sophomore year, did the same but was a captain my junior year, and I am also a captain for my upcoming senior season. I'm also the founding Captain of the Catamount Club, which is a freshman/peer mentoring group focused towards new students. I was a freshman mentor last year, but this year the guidance counselors decided to make it a year-long club and named me a Captain responsible for organizing and running our freshman orientation day.

I also work for a company called TigerSwan, which is a government contractor founded by two 20+ year Delta Force/Army Ranger veterans. I've worked there for the past two summers.

I have NHS membership, Junior Marshal, I'm a 13-time Student Choice award winner (awarded by students to the person who best represents Panther Creek, I have the most at my high school) and a two-time Teacher's choice award winner. There's more, but it's much more concise on my list that I have on my home computer.

SAT's are it for me. I know every other student has everything I just listed, but I like my chances if I can get my SAT's up.

:D
Great stuff, and a good starting point. I'm not sure if this will be useful for the college app, but it's definitely a skill and a way of thinking you should adopt for the future:

Mention your titles (Class President, Captain, etc.) but focus on your accomplishments in that role. A lot of shmucks have shared your titles, sadly fewer have made big impacts while filling that role. This could also help you satisfy Ozzies good advice re: "I was...", "I did...". Try something like
"As a Sophomore Class Representative, I created and chaired program consisting of students who volunteered their time at a local nursing home. As the chairman I worked with the Volunteer Coordinator at the facility to scheduling regular visits and special events for groups of 6 - 10 volunteers. Volunteers participated in a wide variety of group activities including: Bingo, Pet visits, and holiday luncheons."

What did you accomplish as a team captain? How did you influence or shape the outcome of the season? What were your responsibilities?
What activities did you plan on Freshmen Orientation Day? Was it a success?
How many students did you tutor? Are you able to say how your tutoring helped?

Lastly, don't be afraid to end with impact statements. So you accomplished a buncha stuff, but what did it do for you and how is it important?

During my time as a volunteer coordinator, I befriended many of the residents in the nursing home, but one person stood out from the rest and made a big impact on my life. "Miss Bee" suffered from emphysema and couldn't maintain anything more than a brief conversation. Yet she always found the energy to play her harmonica at the Christmas Luncheon. When she passed away, her family invited me to the funeral and I played "Amazing Grace" on the harmonic in her honor. No matter what ailed her, she always found the time to smile and keep a positive outlook. I've never forgotten her spirit and it inspires me today.
sMiles
Native

Post by Native » August 17th, 2010, 2:32 pm

Miles wrote:Great stuff, and a good starting point. I'm not sure if this will be useful for the college app, but it's definitely a skill and a way of thinking you should adopt for the future:

Mention your titles (Class President, Captain, etc.) but focus on your accomplishments in that role. A lot of shmucks have shared your titles, sadly fewer have made big impacts while filling that role. This could also help you satisfy Ozzies good advice re: "I was...", "I did...". Try something like
"As a Sophomore Class Representative, I created and chaired program consisting of students who volunteered their time at a local nursing home. As the chairman I worked with the Volunteer Coordinator at the facility to scheduling regular visits and special events for groups of 6 - 10 volunteers. Volunteers participated in a wide variety of group activities including: Bingo, Pet visits, and holiday luncheons."

What did you accomplish as a team captain? How did you influence or shape the outcome of the season? What were your responsibilities?
What activities did you plan on Freshmen Orientation Day? Was it a success?
How many students did you tutor? Are you able to say how your tutoring helped?

Lastly, don't be afraid to end with impact statements. So you accomplished a buncha stuff, but what did it do for you and how is it important?

During my time as a volunteer coordinator, I befriended many of the residents in the nursing home, but one person stood out from the rest and made a big impact on my life. "Miss Bee" suffered from emphysema and couldn't maintain anything more than a brief conversation. Yet she always found the energy to play her harmonica at the Christmas Luncheon. When she passed away, her family invited me to the funeral and I played "Amazing Grace" on the harmonic in her honor. No matter what ailed her, she always found the time to smile and keep a positive outlook. I've never forgotten her spirit and it inspires me today.
Absolutely, and great advice! Thanks!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 17th, 2010, 2:52 pm

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 17th, 2010, 3:34 pm

Native wrote: I could definitely get the principal of my school to write a recommendation for me; however, my grandfather teaches at Duke and I'd also like for him to write a Personal Recommendation. However, the Admissions website states that I can have four recommendations: two from teachers, one from my guidance counselor, and one of my choosing. Anyone have a way to arrange this so I can have my principal and my grandfather writing me recommendations?
I had my both my AP English and APUSH teachers write my teacher recommendations, my guidance counselor rec, and a letter from a doctor in New Bern who attended Duke, sent four kids to Duke, and is now working on another degree at Yale on the weekends.

My grandfather sent in his personal recommendation as a fifth, even though I was only really supposed to submit four. They never said anything about it, and I was accepted! :duke:

If you want to read my essay or see any specific part of my application just let me know. Attending the tours and admissions seminars last spring really gave me the feeling that they wanted to hear just as much about what I'm passionate about and why as my grades and leadership positions.
Class of 2014
Native

Post by Native » August 17th, 2010, 3:39 pm

Rolvix wrote:
Native wrote: I could definitely get the principal of my school to write a recommendation for me; however, my grandfather teaches at Duke and I'd also like for him to write a Personal Recommendation. However, the Admissions website states that I can have four recommendations: two from teachers, one from my guidance counselor, and one of my choosing. Anyone have a way to arrange this so I can have my principal and my grandfather writing me recommendations?
I had my both my AP English and APUSH teachers write my teacher recommendations, my guidance counselor rec, and a letter from a doctor in New Bern who attended Duke, sent four kids to Duke, and is now working on another degree at Yale on the weekends.

My grandfather sent in his personal recommendation as a fifth, even though I was only really supposed to submit four. They never said anything about it, and I was accepted! :duke:

If you want to read my essay or see any specific part of my application just let me know. Attending the tours and admissions seminars last spring really gave me the feeling that they wanted to hear just as much about what I'm passionate about and why as my grades and leadership positions.
Awesome advice. When it comes time to revise my essays I'll definitely shoot a PM your way and have you take a look. What sort of EC's/volunteerism did you have?
While I have volunteered in the community plenty, my resume seems to be more school-based, and I just hope they're not looking for someone who's more community-based.

At any rate, I hope to see you in a year! Thanks again for the advice.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Native wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
Native wrote:Don't get the Honeymooners reference, but thanks for the kind words regarding my application! I guess I'm just looking for reasurrance more than anything else -- applying to college is terrifying, yet exciting at the same time.
Ralph Kramden was the name of a character on "The Honeymooners." He drove a bus.
In that case, =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Watch this. One of the great scenes on television. Ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg9nrR0g ... re=related

BTW, when I hear the name Ed Norton, I don't think of the current actor, but of Art Carney and the character he played next to Ralph Kramden.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 17th, 2010, 8:07 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Watch this. One of the great scenes on television. Ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg9nrR0g ... re=related

BTW, when I hear the name Ed Norton, I don't think of the current actor, but of Art Carney and the character he played next to Ralph Kramden.
Thanks Ozzie! I have a soft spot in my heart for "The Honeymooners." I bought my dad the full DVD set for his birthday in 2002, just 3 weeks before he passed away from lung disease, and Mom said the DVD's gave him a lot of enjoyment in his last days.

Gulp.
Iron Duke #1471997.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 17th, 2010, 8:10 pm

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Vibes that you write an essay that knocks the socks off the reader. Vibes that your letters of recommendation are also written in a way that knocks the socks off the reader.

Hmm, maybe you should send socks in with your application to replace the ones the reader of your application will lose when their socks are knocked off reading your application.
I worship the Blue Devil!
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 17th, 2010, 9:14 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: Glad to know that the Kramden Institute isn't a school for bus drivers. =)) =)) =))
What if he were interested in going to the moon? =))
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm

captmojo wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: Glad to know that the Kramden Institute isn't a school for bus drivers. =)) =)) =))
What if he were interested in going to the moon? =))
One of these days, Alice, Pow! Right in the kisser!

Poor Native. He must think we are all older than dirt.
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 17th, 2010, 9:25 pm

I am. I am. :twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 18th, 2010, 12:56 am

Native wrote:
Awesome advice. When it comes time to revise my essays I'll definitely shoot a PM your way and have you take a look. What sort of EC's/volunteerism did you have?
While I have volunteered in the community plenty, my resume seems to be more school-based, and I just hope they're not looking for someone who's more community-based.

Let's see... My EC's weren't quite as numerous as yours haha.

I was a member of NHS, an officer of Teen Democrats, a member of Interact, the Senior Class VP, co-captain of the varsity soccer team, and a member of the tennis team (senior year - I was involved in two or three other clubs throughout my four years).

I'm pretty involved in my youth group and have led confirmation small groups and other things of that nature. I attended Boy's State last year at Catawba College. I volunteered for four weeks at a summer camp (Camp Don Lee, which I would work at without being payed anyways), involved in numerous service activites such as RCS and Stop Hunger Now, I was a Leader In Training at CDL the summer after my Junior year (best experience of my life), and I have been on three mission trips to Haiti and interviewed a child slave during my first trip for my senior project. Sorry for the super run-on. That's most of what I did throughout the last four years, although I may have forgotten one or two things.

As for academics I was never at the top of my class. I think I finished 11th in my class out of 391, which isn't amazing. I got one B before my senior year - a 92 in Algebra II. The problem with my course rigor was the difficulty of getting in the AP classes I wanted. I signed up for three APs my sophomore year and got none of them, which put me behind a considerable amount. The same thing happened with one or two APs junior year - it was a pain. The fact that our school calculated GPAs based on the college scale didn't really help either. 96s and higher are 4.0s, 95s are 3.85, 94s are a little lower, and so on. I did take a full schedule my senior year which was a huge pain when my friends were leaving school to go out to lunch at 11:30 and I was stuck there until 3:00 p.m. - but it was definitely worth it.

I think they are looking for anyone who they think will perform the best at Duke, no matter if the person has a school-based resume or a community service based resume. And I've come to realize that I would be happy at almost any school.
Class of 2014
Native

Post by Native » August 18th, 2010, 10:51 am

Rolvix wrote:
Native wrote:

Let's see... My EC's weren't quite as numerous as yours haha.

I was a member of NHS, an officer of Teen Democrats, a member of Interact, the Senior Class VP, co-captain of the varsity soccer team, and a member of the tennis team (senior year - I was involved in two or three other clubs throughout my four years).

I'm pretty involved in my youth group and have led confirmation small groups and other things of that nature. I attended Boy's State last year at Catawba College. I volunteered for four weeks at a summer camp (Camp Don Lee, which I would work at without being payed anyways), involved in numerous service activites such as RCS and Stop Hunger Now, I was a Leader In Training at CDL the summer after my Junior year (best experience of my life), and I have been on three mission trips to Haiti and interviewed a child slave during my first trip for my senior project. Sorry for the super run-on. That's most of what I did throughout the last four years, although I may have forgotten one or two things.

As for academics I was never at the top of my class. I think I finished 11th in my class out of 391, which isn't amazing. I got one B before my senior year - a 92 in Algebra II. The problem with my course rigor was the difficulty of getting in the AP classes I wanted. I signed up for three APs my sophomore year and got none of them, which put me behind a considerable amount. The same thing happened with one or two APs junior year - it was a pain. The fact that our school calculated GPAs based on the college scale didn't really help either. 96s and higher are 4.0s, 95s are 3.85, 94s are a little lower, and so on. I did take a full schedule my senior year which was a huge pain when my friends were leaving school to go out to lunch at 11:30 and I was stuck there until 3:00 p.m. - but it was definitely worth it.

I think they are looking for anyone who they think will perform the best at Duke, no matter if the person has a school-based resume or a community service based resume. And I've come to realize that I would be happy at almost any school.
Ha ha, I'd say yours are just as numerous as mine. Thanks for the insight!
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 18th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Native wrote:
Ha ha, I'd say yours are just as numerous as mine. Thanks for the insight!
Well... Maybe they were close, but I didn't realize that when I started listing them. :-?

No problem though.
Class of 2014
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » August 18th, 2010, 11:15 pm

I agree with the others that on paper you really don't have anything going against you. You know you need to work on the SAT/ACT and I'm sure you will.

Since you're also going to apply to Stanford, I'll say that I sent basically the same application to Stanford and Duke and I got rejected to Stanford and I got an AB Duke scholarship to attend Duke. The folk on this board can give you lots of advice and definitely encouragement, but I feel there's a crap shoot element you can't control. So kinda keep that tucked in the back of your mind.

That said, after I arrived at Duke, I read applications that were sent to the AB Duke office for vetting. Honestly, as a reader I assumed that the admissions office had already vetted for good grades and extracurriculars. I pretty much focused on the essay and recommendations to set students apart. If you can get out of the world recommendations (not that you have a ton of control over that), and really nail the essay I think you could probably catch the eye of one of the scholarships committees. Read their websites http://www.aas.duke.edu/ousf/ and maybe something will fit.

Good luck!! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: