Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: 2009 Atlanta Braves Thread

Post by Turk » August 28th, 2009, 1:08 pm

<rant>

I'm completely irrational in my contempt for Adam LaRoche. I hate his stance, I hate his swing, I hate his lack of range in the field, I hate his body language, I hate the way he hit .220 for the first three quarters of every season with the Pirates and made the excuse "I'm not a cold-weather player. I'll be fine when the weather warms up." Some fiercely competitive athletes maintain a calm, focused demeanor, and then there are guys like Adam LaRoche who project nothing but nonchalance and indifference.

I can't recall the last player I disliked so intensely and so out of proportion to his mediocrity. "Off with his head!!"

</rant>
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 28th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Turk wrote:<rant>

I'm completely irrational in my contempt for Adam LaRoche. I hate his stance, I hate his swing, I hate his lack of range in the field, I hate his body language, I hate the way he hit .220 for the first three quarters of every season with the Pirates and made the excuse "I'm not a cold-weather player. I'll be fine when the weather warms up." Some fiercely competitive athletes maintain a calm, focused demeanor, and then there are guys like Adam LaRoche who project nothing but nonchalance and indifference.

I can't recall the last player I disliked so intensely and so out of proportion to his mediocrity. "Off with his head!!"

</rant>
This is hilarious to me, because I (and my friends) have said exactly the same regarding my feelings for him for the duration of his career.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2009, 11:45 pm

Anyone got a fork? 4-2 losers to the Phils tonight. :(
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 29th, 2009, 12:01 am

devildeac wrote:Anyone got a fork? 4-2 losers to the Phils tonight. :(
When's kickoff?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2009, 6:58 am

wilson wrote:
When's kickoff?
7 PM on 9/5.

Let's keep this on-topic. :roll:

:)) :)) =)) =))
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 29th, 2009, 10:58 am

Turk wrote:<rant>

</rant>
I thought it might have been his cheesy facial hair.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 29th, 2009, 10:59 am

They'll be the Sunday night game with the Phillies. I guess New York and Boston aren't playing each other this weekend.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 30th, 2009, 10:41 am

The Bravos are STILL in it (the WC, that is) after creaming Lee yesterday. They are 3.5 games behind the Rockies, 2.5 behind the Giants, and 1 game ahead of the fish. The Rockies are in full bad karma mode, having lost four in a row.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 30th, 2009, 1:02 pm

Lavabe wrote:
The Bravos are STILL in it (the WC, that is) after creaming Lee yesterday. They are 3.5 games behind the Rockies, 2.5 behind the Giants, and 1 game ahead of the fish. The Rockies are in full bad karma mode, having lost four in a row.
You're right. I think I'll keep not watching for a few days and see what happens.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » August 30th, 2009, 1:20 pm

Lavabe wrote:
The Rockies will be fine. They've played a game everyday for two weeks (including a double-header one day) and the bats look tired. While they have lost 4 in a row, all of them are to good teams who happened to be pitching the top of their rotation. The loss of Aaron Cook for a few weeks hurts, but the pitching staff has held up better than anyone expected. The good news is that Colorado has a day off tomorrow and then plays ten at home against the Mets, DBacks, and Red, followed by a trip to San Diego. That's 13 games that the Rocks should win 10 of.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 2nd, 2009, 8:21 pm

Tim Hudson... WOW!!

3 games behind. Let's see it go down a little more.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 2nd, 2009, 10:53 pm

I'm not even a little bit surprised at the way this evening's game ended. ~x(
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 19th, 2009, 8:46 am

Is there ANY hope for the WC? 5 or so games behind, but 3 teams ahead of them. 8-2 in their last 10... the hottest of the four teams in the race.

Pretty please? :ymblushing:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2009, 9:15 am

Lavabe wrote:Is there ANY hope for the WC? 5 or so games behind, but 3 teams ahead of them. 8-2 in their last 10... the hottest of the four teams in the race.

Pretty please? :ymblushing:
And playing the Phils this weekend, losing last PM...

The gap has been narrowed. They are playing better. They still have a chance for 2 outta 3 (or are they playing 4?). They need a lotta help, needing the Rockies and Giants to lose a bunch. The Braves have to play superlative BB. Their lost series (was it 1 or 2?) to the Nats earlier in the year and totally sucking against the Padres earlier this month and pissing away a W or two against the Marlins during the same stretch will be their downfall. :(
throatybeard

Post by throatybeard » September 21st, 2009, 9:57 pm

That 7 game win streak made me very slightly hopeful, but the Phillies threw the dirt in the grave this weekend.

I went to two of the Braves three games in Saint Louis 9/11-9/13 games. This made me optimistic about the young arms. Now if only this team can hit in 2010 and 2011.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 21st, 2009, 9:59 pm

throatybeard wrote:That 7 game win streak made me very slightly hopeful, but the Phillies threw the dirt in the grave this weekend.

I went to two of the Braves three games in Saint Louis 9/11-9/13 games. This made me optimistic about the young arms. Now if only this team can hit in 2010 and 2011.
Hopefully, Jason Heyward will help. I also think Martin Prado will continue to trend upward. McCann looks to be plenty solid for the foreseeable future, too. The pitching staff was quite good and pretty young this year. No idea what to make of Jordan Schafer. Nevertheless, the future is reasonably bright. I do, however, think it's just about time for Bobby to go, as much as it pains me to say that.
throatybeard

Post by throatybeard » September 21st, 2009, 11:03 pm

ESPN had a story recently that Cox was undecided about 2010.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 22nd, 2009, 1:16 am

wilson wrote:I do, however, think it's just about time for Bobby to go, as much as it pains me to say that.
Reason?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 22nd, 2009, 9:48 am

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:I do, however, think it's just about time for Bobby to go, as much as it pains me to say that.
Reason?
1. Nothing left to prove
2. Losing fan support
3. Not at all creative anymore; shockingly predictable in too many ways
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 23rd, 2009, 4:54 pm

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Reason?
1. Nothing left to prove
2. Losing fan support
3. Not at all creative anymore; shockingly predictable in too many ways
...and I've gotten my wish. Next season will be Bobby's last. I'll have tickets for the final game of the season as soon as they go on sale, and I'll be in part sad to see him go, but I commend him for a solid read of when it's time to hang 'em up.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-brave ... 45112.html