Breaking Down Alabama (Duke's 3rd Opponent)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: Breaking Down Alabama (Duke's 3rd Opponent)

Post by captmojo » September 19th, 2010, 8:56 am

devildeac wrote: 12. Only 1 injury that I can recall and that was J. Williams with a concussion after he made a TD saving tackle and took a knee to the helmet in the process.
Good observation. The injury to Williams, when watched on tape review, (and he should repeatedly watch it!) was his own mechanical failing to keep his face up during the hit. He's fortunate it was no worse than it was. Get back to healthy soon.

Only noticed two really bads from the stripes. The flagged punt return was crap. No fair-catch signal, no early contact, the reciever was allowed room to catch the ball. It was a great play and unreviewed. The other was an uncalled, late pounce on a downed Duke ball-carrier, memory of the carrier fails me at present, but the play was whistled dead and the Bama defender didn't believe that the deal was over. Replays appeared to show that a punch might have been thrown to the ball in an attempt to loosen it after the play was done.

Here's to never forgetting yesterday. :twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DevilWearsPrada
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by DevilWearsPrada » September 19th, 2010, 9:30 am

Here's to never forgetting yesterday. :twitch:[/quote]

EXACTLY!!! Watching #1 Alabama yesterday was actually an opportunity for me to see what a #1 football team looks like in person. I was in awe of the greatest of this BAMA team, and their speed, size and athleticism. The 2nd string played the better part of the 2nd half. I can only think, this is how the exhibition teams or non conference & non ranked basketball teams feel when they play Duke (Mens or Womens) Basketball teams. And as our Basketball teams have NO MERCY on their opponents, Alabama showed our Blue Devils, NO MERCY yesterday. The Tide are certainly deserving of a #1 ranking. To me, it was like a NFL team playing Duke, or a young JV team, playing a Varsity squad. At least Duke, scored on Bama, but Duke has so much more improvement to go. I would send every player home with a DVD of the game, and make them watch it, several times. I felt for our boys yesterday, as the Receivers had to come against Men that looked like they were from the NFL defensive lines. Desmond, Donovan, Conner and Austin took alot of hits, and thrown around like rag dolls.

I keep yelling out, "Protect the Quarterback's Blind Side, Right side, Left side, Front Side"....... Duke just doesn't have the weapons on Offense or Defense to contend with this SEC Bama squad. Hopefully, they can put this game behind them, with bruised mental and physical wounds, and grow and learn and compete within our ACC league.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 19th, 2010, 9:59 am

What I found fascinating was that they rarely rushed the QB. I can think of maybe two, three times they got in Renfree's face. They stayed at home keeping everything in front of them.... because they could. And probably trying to show as few of their special plays for their later opponents.
-- DukeUsul
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2010, 2:18 pm

captmojo wrote:
devildeac wrote: 12. Only 1 injury that I can recall and that was J. Williams with a concussion after he made a TD saving tackle and took a knee to the helmet in the process.
Good observation. The injury to Williams, when watched on tape review, (and he should repeatedly watch it!) was his own mechanical failing to keep his face up during the hit. He's fortunate it was no worse than it was. Get back to healthy soon.

Only noticed two really bads from the stripes. The flagged punt return was crap. No fair-catch signal, no early contact, the reciever was allowed room to catch the ball. It was a great play and unreviewed. The other was an uncalled, late pounce on a downed Duke ball-carrier, memory of the carrier fails me at present, but the play was whistled dead and the Bama defender didn't believe that the deal was over. Replays appeared to show that a punch might have been thrown to the ball in an attempt to loosen it after the play was done.

Here's to never forgetting yesterday. :twitch:
There was only one other bad no-call I can recall. One of their WR got away with a blatant push of our DB so he could make about a 40 yard catch.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » September 19th, 2010, 2:44 pm

devildeac wrote: There was only one other bad no-call I can recall. One of their WR got away with a blatant push of our DB so he could make about a 40 yard catch.
Sounds familiar.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 19th, 2010, 3:26 pm

I'm curious about the ruling on our kickoff just before half, the one we recovered, but got the 15 yard flag for interference. Did the Bama guy call for fair catch and I missed it? Isn't the ball fair game once it goes 10 yards, no matter who touched it?

There was another no-call on a push-off on one of their passes toward the end zone, but it was moot because the pass was way overthrown.

Early on, B invited the refs to wear red shirts because there were plenty of them available in the stadium.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 19th, 2010, 3:28 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:I'm curious about the ruling on our kickoff just before half, the one we recovered, but got the 15 yard flag for interference. Did the Bama guy call for fair catch and I missed it? Isn't the ball fair game once it goes 10 yards, no matter who touched it?

There was another no-call on a push-off on one of their passes toward the end zone, but it was moot because the pass was way overthrown.

Early on, B invited the refs to wear red shirts because there were plenty of them available in the stadium.
I was clueless on that as well. That was the COOOLEST KICK EVER!! It looked like a muffed kick to me, and impending disaster. If it was on purpose...wow. I doubt it was, but they outta go practice that now!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 19th, 2010, 3:44 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:I'm curious about the ruling on our kickoff just before half, the one we recovered, but got the 15 yard flag for interference. Did the Bama guy call for fair catch and I missed it? Isn't the ball fair game once it goes 10 yards, no matter who touched it?

I was clueless on that as well. That was the COOOLEST KICK EVER!! It looked like a muffed kick to me, and impending disaster. If it was on purpose...wow. I doubt it was, but they outta go practice that now!
It was way cool! :duke:

I want to say it now-the only thing I saw about Alabama that was a little weak was their kickoffs. They were pretty short. Of course, maybe the kicker's leg got tired. :(
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 19th, 2010, 4:04 pm

lawgrad91 wrote: I want to say it now-the only thing I saw about Alabama that was a little weak was their kickoffs. They were pretty short. Of course, maybe the kicker's leg got tired. :(
:)) :))

Good observation..I noticed the same thing.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 19th, 2010, 4:19 pm

None of the people around me saw the Alabama player signal a fair catch. Didn't see it in the replay either.

I don't usually harp in the officials, but I think those yesterday went back home with the team.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2010, 9:07 pm

See captmojo's 1st post in the thread re: the fair catch on the kick-off. He thought it was bogus and CB&B and I thought it was complete bullshit. I also thought that once the ball traveled 10 yards, it was a free ball. Any FB rules people here? Ozzie? bjornolf?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2010, 9:10 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:

None of the people around me saw the Alabama player signal a fair catch. Didn't see it in the replay either.

I don't usually harp in the officials, but I think those yesterday went back home with the team.
I always harp on the officials (no kidding?) but I agree with the capt. here and only found 3 objectionable calls. How about you Ozzie with your seat on the 40 yard line? Lots of alabama holding or chop blocks? Yesterday, it would not have made much difference.

However, the inference that DitBis might be making is that sec refs just might be even worse than acc refs.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 19th, 2010, 9:48 pm

devildeac wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:

I always harp on the officials (no kidding?) but I agree with the capt. here and only found 3 objectionable calls. How about you Ozzie with your seat on the 40 yard line? Lots of alabama holding or chop blocks? Yesterday, it would not have made much difference.

However, the inference that DitBis might be making is that sec refs just might be even worse than acc refs.
I observed the game from near the forty, so my view was not distorted by distance, angle or those around me.

I was suggesting the the SEC has their own way of doing things..... if we visited there, we might feel like outsiders. We have complained in the past about the Big East officials and their standards for calling basketball games. You might put the SEC football officials for football in the same special category. @-)
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 19th, 2010, 10:03 pm

The Bama people around me didn't see a fair catch call on the punt. On the next call against them, the guy next to me said, "Well, that was a make-up call for that bogus punt call, wasn't it?"
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » September 22nd, 2010, 11:20 am

devildeac wrote:

See captmojo's 1st post in the thread re: the fair catch on the kick-off. He thought it was bogus and CB&B and I thought it was complete bullshit. I also thought that once the ball traveled 10 yards, it was a free ball. Any FB rules people here? Ozzie? bjornolf?
For a kickoff, once it goes 10 yards it's live, so it can be recovered by the kicking team.

Punts may not be recovered by the kicking team unless touched by the receivers first. If the kicking team touches it, it's a dead ball.

In college ball, receivers must be given an opportunity to catch the ball. There used to be a "halo rule" that explicitly specified that the kicking team has to give the receiver a 2-yard halo unitl he catches the ball. They did a way with the halo, but still have the rule that you must give the receiver an unimpeded opportunity to catch the ball. This includes making simultaneous contact a penalty. You can't hit the guy at the same time the ball gets there. I think this is what they called.

It's also interesting to note that once the ball hits the ground, there is no possibility of interference being called. So on a traditional onside kick, the ball is kicked into the ground right off the tee. So once this happens, the kicking team is free to block, push and shove the receiving team without penalty.
-- DukeUsul
captmojo

Post by captmojo » September 25th, 2010, 10:11 am

I'm thinking that Arkansas today, and the rest of the nation soon, will come to the evident realization that there is no breaking down of Alabama this year.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 25th, 2010, 7:22 pm

captmojo wrote:I'm thinking that Arkansas today, and the rest of the nation soon, will come to the evident realization that there is no breaking down of Alabama this year.
The Hogs almost pulled it off. Drat.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo

Post by captmojo » September 25th, 2010, 8:59 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
captmojo wrote:I'm thinking that Arkansas today, and the rest of the nation soon, will come to the evident realization that there is no breaking down of Alabama this year.
The Hogs almost pulled it off. Drat.
Sorry. It's probably gonna take somebody from the NFL. :twitch:
captmojo

Post by captmojo » September 25th, 2010, 9:00 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: The Hogs almost pulled it off. Drat.
Still, yes...a valliant effort. :-BD