What's wrong with this burger?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: What's wrong with this burger?

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2010, 4:31 pm

EarlJam wrote:Chick-Fil-A is the gold standard of fast food. NOBODY does it better, from the food they serve and the service you get, to the values they stand by. What an outstanding organization.
I DO think they have very good large styrofoam drink containers. I no longer go for caffeinated beverages (I can't go to sleep if I drink them), so it pretty much limits me to their diet lemonade, which is sickingly sweet.

I really do wish more fast food companies gave low calorie (or low sugar), decaf beverage options.

Georgia the Wonderdog loves CFA. When ILJ pulls up to the drive-up window, the person there usually gives Georgia a dog biscuit. Is this common policy for CFA around the world, or is it just one server's own thing?

For the record, I MUCH PREFER Penn Station fresh-squeezed lemonade.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 7th, 2010, 4:31 pm

Lavabe wrote:
EarlJam wrote:Chick-Fil-A is the gold standard of fast food. NOBODY does it better, from the food they serve and the service you get, to the values they stand by. What an outstanding organization.
Exactly, what ARE the values of which you speak?

Do these values REALLY make a difference in terms of you buying their product? Do you also live by those values? Do those values REALLY make their chicken any better?

In my case, their values mean I don't buy their product (on Sunday). I also loathe their use of spelling errors to sell their product (EAT MORE CHIKIN).

Although I like some of their healthful options, I would like to see those options be less expensive.
As you alluded to in your comment about not getting a chicken sammy on Sunday (I always forget and seem to always crave one on Sundays!), Chick-Fil-A is a privately held, family company that emphasizes their Christian values. I don't think their values make their chicken any better, that's all about the pickle juice and breading, but I do think it makes a huge difference in their service and community. Their owners are hand selected unlike other franchises that bow to highest bidder.

I typically loathe intentional misspellings, especially in terms of marketing but I really appreciate the thought and detail that goes into the cows ad campaign. It's one thing to go to "Mike's Discount Tirez", but it's an entirely different story when cows misspell something. In fact, Chick-Fil-A will never misspell anything, only the cows will misspell. Whether you recognize it or not, in Chick-Fli-A's eyes there is a difference.

I am craving a spicy chicken sandwich.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » August 7th, 2010, 4:37 pm

Lavabe wrote:
indoor66 wrote:Have you ever been to Back Yard Burgers (http://backyardburgers.com/) in Boone, NC and other locations? They serve excellent food with excellent service. Worth a visit.
No grillmarks on the side of the burger in that link... it MUST be good. :)) :)) =)) =)) :)) =))
Back Yard burgers rule! That place smells sooooo good.
sMiles
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 7th, 2010, 5:49 pm

indoor66 wrote:
colchar wrote:
indoor66 wrote:The only good burger has cheese, mustard, chili, slaw & onions. Anything else is putrid. :-ss :tease: :-BD :violence-axechase:

Slaw on a burger or on the side?
ON THE BURGER, YOU IDIOT! :D :)) :tease: :wizard:

(nothing personal)

Oh that's just wrong in so many ways.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » August 7th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Miles wrote: I gotcha, but I've always understood "Carolina BBQ Sauce" to be the vinegar based stuff and "Mustard BBQ Sauce" to be the mustard based stuff. I wouldn't ever think to say "Carolina Mustard Sauce".
WHY ARE YOU BEING SO MEAN TO ME!?

-EarlJam

P.S. Kidding. I agree with your point.
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » August 7th, 2010, 6:34 pm

Lavabe wrote:

Do these values REALLY make a difference in terms of you buying their product? Do you also live by those values? Do those values REALLY make their chicken any better?

In my case, their values mean I don't buy their product (on Sunday). I also loathe their use of spelling errors to sell their product (EAT MORE CHIKIN).

Although I like some of their healthful options, I would like to see those options be less expensive.
Methinks you made a bit of an assumption here.

I'm NOT talking about Truett's Christian values directly. I AM talking about how he has stuck to his business model and not whored out his operation in the name of more revenue (not that there's anything at all wrong with wanting more revenue). True, the stores aren't open on Sunday, and while I kind of wish they were, I have to admire the fact that he has "stuck to his guns," so to speak. And in doing so, the organization continues to be one of the most profitable in the industry.

It wouldn't matter if he's Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Jew, or Satanist (okay, perhaps it would matter if he worshiped Satan), when I say "values," I simply mean Truett is a remarkable GOOD man that, like Coach K, leads with his heart in a non-wavering manner.

How can you not respect that?

-EarlJam
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2010, 6:58 pm

EarlJam wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

I'm NOT talking about Truett's Christian values directly. I AM talking about how he has stuck to his business model and not whored out his operation in the name of more revenue (not that there's anything at all wrong with wanting more revenue). True, the stores aren't open on Sunday, and while I kind of wish they were, I have to admire the fact that he has "stuck to his guns," so to speak. And in doing so, the organization continues to be one of the most profitable in the industry.

It wouldn't matter if he's Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Jew, or Satanist (okay, perhaps it would matter if he worshiped Satan), when I say "values," I simply mean Truett is a remarkable GOOD man that, like Coach K, leads with his heart in a non-wavering manner.

-EarlJam
Simple. Dude can't spell. 8-}
His autobiography is "EAT MOR CHIKIN: INSPIRE MORE PEOPLE"
:Ult Ninja:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » August 7th, 2010, 7:20 pm

Lavabe wrote:

-EarlJam
Lavabe wrote:Simple. Dude can't spell. 8-}
You're right. Fuck 'em. :happy-bouncyblue:

-EJ!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2010, 8:49 pm

EarlJam wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Simple. Dude can't spell. 8-}
You're right. Fuck 'em. :happy-bouncyblue:

-EJ!
POTD!! :)) =)) =)) =)) :)) :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
Miles

Post by Miles » August 7th, 2010, 9:47 pm

devildeac wrote:
indoor66 wrote:The only good burger has cheese, mustard, chili, slaw & onions. Anything else is putrid. :-ss :tease: :-BD :violence-axechase:
Wait a minute. Sounds like you're describing a hot dog 8-| .(sans cheese, though I'll throw a handful of grated cheddar on a hot dog if given the opportunity)
Isn't this the classic Carolina burger?
sMiles
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 7th, 2010, 9:57 pm

colchar wrote:I will not, under any circumstances, eat mustard. Ever.
I knew there was SOMETHING that I liked about you, Colchar. Just took a while to find it! =)) Just kidding, of course :D Love your new avatar, too!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 7th, 2010, 10:02 pm

Miles wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
indoor66 wrote:Have you ever been to Back Yard Burgers (http://backyardburgers.com/) in Boone, NC and other locations? They serve excellent food with excellent service. Worth a visit.
No grillmarks on the side of the burger in that link... it MUST be good. :)) :)) =)) =)) :)) =))
Back Yard burgers rule! That place smells sooooo good.
Seeing as how I'm about 10 miles from Boone this weekend, I just might have to have lunch there tomorrow, especially since Chik-Fil-A is closed... ;)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 8th, 2010, 7:13 am

Miles wrote: Back Yard burgers rule! That place smells sooooo good.
Cook Out is pretty good but I like Back Yard better. I miss them a bit. I used to occasionally stop for one in Gastonia, across the street from Tindol Ford but they had a very short life, for reasons unknown. Maybe the people there just didn't give them the support they needed. No suprise. :violin:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Miles

Post by Miles » August 8th, 2010, 7:34 am

captmojo wrote:
Cook Out is pretty good but I like Back Yard better. I miss them a bit. I used to occasionally stop for one in Gastonia, across the street from Tindol Ford but they had a very short life, for reasons unknown. Maybe the people there just didn't give them the support they needed. No suprise. :violin:
Maybe they should've deep-fried the burgers after they game off the grill. Gastonians would line up around the block for one of them there fancy sammiches.
sMiles
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 8th, 2010, 7:47 am

What's wrong with that burger is that some people will eat it, along with super-sized fries and a mega large coke at one sitting.

It's too big. It's too high in fat and caloric content to eat at one meal, but plenty of people will do so and compromise their health.

770 calories 17g sat. fat 115mg cholesterol 10g sugar 53g carbs
46g fat 0.5g trans fat 36g protein 1380mg sodium

Allergens:

* Wheat
* , Soy
* , Egg
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Miles

Post by Miles » August 8th, 2010, 8:58 am

CathyCA wrote:What's wrong with that burger is that some people will eat it, along with super-sized fries and a mega large coke at one sitting.

It's too big. It's too high in fat and caloric content to eat at one meal, but plenty of people will do so and compromise their health.

770 calories 17g sat. fat 115mg cholesterol 10g sugar 53g carbs
46g fat 0.5g trans fat 36g protein 1380mg sodium

Allergens:

* Wheat
* , Soy
* , Egg
Agreed on all accounts, but that's pretty much true for all fast food meals, even the salads. It's disturbing how chains have duped the public into thinking that one of their salads is a healthier alternative to burgers and fries. One would have to hold the cheese and hold off on the dressing and other toppings for the meal to be taken seriously as a healthy alternative.
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 8th, 2010, 9:03 am

Miles wrote:Agreed on all accounts, but that's pretty much true for all fast food meals, even the salads. It's disturbing how chains have duped the public into thinking that one of their salads is a healthier alternative to burgers and fries. One would have to hold the cheese and hold off on the dressing and other toppings for the meal to be taken seriously as a healthy alternative.
Chick-Fil-A included? ;)

As for dressing, go with a vinaigrette, assuming it doesn't have much sodium.

Brava, CathyCA!! :-BD :-BD
Miles

Post by Miles » August 8th, 2010, 9:37 am

Lavabe wrote:
Miles wrote:Agreed on all accounts, but that's pretty much true for all fast food meals, even the salads. It's disturbing how chains have duped the public into thinking that one of their salads is a healthier alternative to burgers and fries. One would have to hold the cheese and hold off on the dressing and other toppings for the meal to be taken seriously as a healthy alternative.
Chick-Fil-A included? ;)

As for dressing, go with a vinaigrette, assuming it doesn't have much sodium.

Brava, CathyCA!! :-BD :-BD
Oh man definitely Chick-Fil-A. They're salads, loaded with all of the toppings they provide without request, are you're doing worse than getting the equivalent sandwich. The chargrilled salad starts at a very respectable 180 calories, 6g fat, 4g fiber, 6g sugar, 22g protein, but if you add the croutons and dressing you end up around 400 calories, 25g fat, 4g fiber, 8g sugar, 23g protein. If you get the sandwich along you'll get 410 calories, 12g fat, 3g fiber, 10g sugar, 37g protein.

The Light Italian and Berry Balsamic are the healthiest on the menu. I haven't had the Light Italian but I love Berry Balsamic.

In comparison, a simliar salad (no toppings) at McDonald's packs on more calories than Chick-Fil-A. I'm too hungry to compare them with toppings. Time for breakfast!
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 8th, 2010, 9:49 am

Miles wrote:
captmojo wrote:
Maybe they should've deep-fried the burgers after they game off the grill. Gastonians would line up around the block for one of them there fancy sammiches.
Deep-fried their burgers? Where do you think you are, the NC State Fair?

:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 8th, 2010, 10:52 am

Little grill right down (300 yards away) from the house, doing an incredible amount o'bidniz every day 'cept Sundays, deep fries Red Racer hot dogs. Having to be the neighborly type that I are, I've had them... =p~ . They keep the oil hot enough that when the dogs are put in, the casings are sealing in the lip and asshole juices, making them delectable and addictive and they lead to amnesia. They really do. People seem to keep forgetting what they taste like, so they keep going back. :twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"