What's for dinner?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: What's for dinner?

Post by devildeac » July 31st, 2010, 6:31 pm

2.5 pounds of boiled shrimp, a 5 pound filet mignon, steamed green beens, smashed red parmesan potatoes and some sorta fresh peach tostada and vanilla ice cream. :banana-explosion:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 31st, 2010, 6:32 pm

devildeac wrote:2.5 pounds of boiled shrimp, a 5 pound filet mignon, steamed green beens, smashed red parmesan potatoes and some sorta fresh peach tostada and vanilla ice cream. :banana-explosion:
Sounds good. What time should I be there? :)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 31st, 2010, 6:33 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:But that's the healthiest part of the meal! Everyone knows chocolate is high in antioxidants. And ice cream - that's got milk in it. Milk has calcium, and that's good for your bones. We're supposed to have 1-2 servings a day of milk, right?
Depends on what the US Dairy Council wants us to drink.
You can get loads of calcium in lots of non-dairy foods.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 31st, 2010, 6:35 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
devildeac wrote:2.5 pounds of boiled shrimp, a 5 pound filet mignon, steamed green beens, smashed red parmesan potatoes and some sorta fresh peach tostada and vanilla ice cream. :banana-explosion:
Sounds good. What time should I be there? :)
About an hour from now, EST, of course :D .
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 31st, 2010, 6:47 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: But that's the healthiest part of the meal! Everyone knows chocolate is high in antioxidants. And ice cream - that's got milk in it. Milk has calcium, and that's good for your bones. We're supposed to have 1-2 servings a day of milk, right?
Dairy maybe...milk not so much. Too high in fat and sugar. Ironically Mr. Windsor (a big milk fan) just got read the riot act by his Dr. over his milk consumption. When Mr. W said he thought milk was supposed to be good for you Dr. told him it was 'dairy council propaganda'.

I love cheese, I like yogurt and ice cream once in blue moon....the only time I have milk is occasionally on cereal (don't eat cereal much) and then I consume as little of it as possible.

Skip the milk...drink BEER http://nutrition.about.com/od/hydration ... rition.htm :-BD :-BD :beer: :beer:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 31st, 2010, 6:54 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
devildeac wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:We're having grilled scallops on a bed of broccoli slaw made with rice noodles, the way Paula Deen was making it yesterday, except I'm using rice noodles instead of the Ramen noodles she used so the sodium content doesn't make us candidates to visit DD on Monday. Brownies with ice cream for dessert.
=p~ =p~
If you really did not want to visit me on Monday, I'd omit the brownies and ice cream, too. :D
But that's the healthiest part of the meal! Everyone knows chocolate is high in antioxidants. And ice cream - that's got milk in it. Milk has calcium, and that's good for your bones. We're supposed to have 1-2 servings a day of milk, right?
Thanks, AD! :ymhug:

Haven't had the brownies and ice cream yet. On my second glass of Vouvray, which will probably be my substitute for brownies and ice cream. DD, does white wine have any beneficial qualities, or should I switch to red?
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » July 31st, 2010, 7:08 pm

Leftover pasta from last night, plus a salad.

Just put a pan of blueberry-peach crisp in the oven. Inspiration born of a trip to the farmers' market this morning.
-- DukeUsul
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 31st, 2010, 7:31 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
devildeac wrote:If you really did not want to visit me on Monday, I'd omit the brownies and ice cream, too. :D
But that's the healthiest part of the meal! Everyone knows chocolate is high in antioxidants. And ice cream - that's got milk in it. Milk has calcium, and that's good for your bones. We're supposed to have 1-2 servings a day of milk, right?
Thanks, AD! :ymhug:

Haven't had the brownies and ice cream yet. On my second glass of Vouvray, which will probably be my substitute for brownies and ice cream. DD, does white wine have any beneficial qualities, or should I switch to red?
Not sure. The classic study quoted is a study from the south of France years ago which touted their locally produced red wine as protective over their practice of high fat content foods and the inhalation of burning tobacco products. Most heart literature I read support the consumption of moderate amounts of alcohol (1-4 drinks/day) as cardio-protective with fermented products being preferred over distilled beverages. Not sure I'd agree with 3-4 drinks/day being "moderate," as at that level, you may ultimately do more harm to your neurological, cardiovascular or GI systems as protecting you heart.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 31st, 2010, 8:39 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Leftover pasta from last night, plus a salad.

Just put a pan of blueberry-peach crisp in the oven. Inspiration born of a trip to the farmers' market this morning.
YUM! Blueberries are good for your kidneys.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 31st, 2010, 8:52 pm

CathyCA wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:Leftover pasta from last night, plus a salad.

YUM! Blueberries are good for your kidneys.
So is :beer: :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 31st, 2010, 8:54 pm

Correction: crostata, not tostada ( :ymblushing: ). And a few handfuls of NJ blueberries are being added to the innards.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 31st, 2010, 10:08 pm

DInner tonight (a Marie Callender's pasta dish) was followed by a trip to Ted Drewe's with some friends (strawberry shortcake concrete for me). :happy-bouncyblue:

We then walked around Forest Park for about 45 min in an attempt to burn some of it off.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 1st, 2010, 10:56 am

My buddy Jeff turns 40 today. We're headed over for a BBQ (hope the weather holds up). I'm making baked beans using an old recipe from Kelly's family (it uses spicy sausage instead of bacon) and I'm doing two kinds of deviled eggs.
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 1st, 2010, 10:59 am

Miles wrote: and I'm doing two kinds of deviled eggs.
Leave the blue food coloring at home. :ymtongue:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 1st, 2010, 2:07 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:We then walked around Forest Park for about 45 min in an attempt to burn some of it off.
Oh1 Beautiful Forest Park! You're making me miss St. L. :ymsigh:
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 1st, 2010, 6:10 pm

Hot dogs
Some kind of hot dogs
What kind of hog-awful lovin' people eat all these hot dogs

sung to the tune of the old oscar-meyer ad song
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 1st, 2010, 6:12 pm

Leftover steak from last night, sliced thin over a wilted spinach salad. Balsamic vinaigrette. Crusty bread.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 1st, 2010, 6:17 pm

We're having leftovers from DukePA's house. Low country boil, bbq chicken and of course. our home grown tomatoes.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 1st, 2010, 6:19 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:We then walked around Forest Park for about 45 min in an attempt to burn some of it off.
Oh1 Beautiful Forest Park! You're making me miss St. L. :ymsigh:
Love, Ima
Come visit me, Ima! I have a spare bedroom and I'm close to the park. You can walk to the MO History Museum from my place.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 1st, 2010, 6:21 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:We're having leftovers from DukePA's house. Low country boil, bbq chicken and of course. our home grown tomatoes.
Ooh, ooh. I've got a few leftover beer steamed shrimp from last night I should deal with.Thanks for the reminder!
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"