NBA Playoffs

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: NBA Playoffs

Post by wilson » May 25th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Two thoughts:

1. Chris Andersen's leaping blocked shot from behind, followed by the coast-to-coast spin move and free throws by Chauncey Billups was awesome.
2. The little kid with the Chris Andersen jersey, the fauxhawk, and the Sharpie tattoo sleeves is awesome (even if the Birdman is perhaps not the most sparkling of role models for our young ones).
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » May 25th, 2009, 9:58 pm

wilson wrote:Two thoughts:

1. Chris Andersen's leaping blocked shot from behind, followed by the coast-to-coast spin move and free throws by Chauncey Billups was awesome.
2. The little kid with the Chris Andersen jersey, the fauxhawk, and the Sharpie tattoo sleeves is awesome (even if the Birdman is perhaps not the most sparkling of role models for our young ones).
I beg to differ. We should all aspire to be recovering PCP addicts.

I like what I see. But hopefully Anthony is okay. JR Smith needs to keep hitting shots. He's been missing this series and, if he shows up, that's trouble for LA.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 26th, 2009, 12:32 am

Well, RMD, your boys pretty thoroughly handled the Lake Show tonight (though it was more competitive than the final score would indicate). This one looks, smells, feels like a seven-gamer.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 26th, 2009, 10:15 am

wilson wrote:Well, RMD, your boys pretty thoroughly handled the Lake Show tonight (though it was more competitive than the final score would indicate). This one looks, smells, feels like a seven-gamer.
Yeah, getting nothing from Anthony and still rolling is impressive. JR Smith needs to replicate that game.

They'll likely have to play Game 5 (and possibly 6) without Dahntay Jones who I think will be suspended for his trip of Kobe.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 26th, 2009, 10:16 am

rockymtn devil wrote: They'll likely have to play Game 5 (and possibly 6) without Dahntay Jones who I think will be suspended for his trip of Kobe.
As well he should be...a very disappointing move out of Dahntay. Totally bush league.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 26th, 2009, 10:50 am

wilson wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote: They'll likely have to play Game 5 (and possibly 6) without Dahntay Jones who I think will be suspended for his trip of Kobe.
As well he should be...a very disappointing move out of Dahntay. Totally bush league.
I suppose. The way NBA has been doling out flagrant fouls, he will be retroactively given a flagrant 2. But, that requires the foul be both "unnecessary" and "excessive". I think it's the former but not the latter. The reason this will be deemed "excessive" is because it was against Kobe. If Jones trips Derek Fisher, it's a flagrant 1.

Nonetheless, I think the Nuggets will take it. Their strategy is pretty clear. Kobe is a narcissist wo will get his 30 points no matter what, even if that makes the team less effective. With that in mind, the Nuggets will make Kobe's life a living hell which, in turn, will force him to work hard for everything and wear him down over the course of the series. Dahntay's foul fits into that frame of mind and I don't think it's bush league. If you're going to balance out the protection that Kobe gets from the officials, you have to take cheap shots.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 26th, 2009, 1:53 pm

rockymtn devil wrote: Nonetheless, I think the Nuggets will take it. Their strategy is pretty clear. Kobe is a narcissist wo will get his 30 points no matter what, even if that makes the team less effective. With that in mind, the Nuggets will make Kobe's life a living hell which, in turn, will force him to work hard for everything and wear him down over the course of the series. Dahntay's foul fits into that frame of mind and I don't think it's bush league. If you're going to balance out the protection that Kobe gets from the officials, you have to take cheap shots.
I still differ somewhat with your assessment of the particular play in question, as I don't think it was in anyway a "basketball move." Your overall assessment of Kobe's psyche and the proper way to defend him and his team, though, is right on. This is exactly the approach Shane Battier employs against him (now famously outlined in that stellar NY Times Magazine article from a couple of months back).
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » May 26th, 2009, 3:43 pm

Anyone else think the NBA will do all in its power to make sure the LeBron's win tonight? They desperately want Kobe/LeBron in the Finals. I think Dwight Howard will be on the bench with two quick fouls tonight. Just wait. I just know it will happen.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 26th, 2009, 6:02 pm

Ben63 wrote:Anyone else think the NBA will do all in its power to make sure the LeBron's win tonight? They desperately want Kobe/LeBron in the Finals. I think Dwight Howard will be on the bench with two quick fouls tonight. Just wait. I just know it will happen.
I absolutely agree that the NBA would do it. With that said, I don't think they'll have to. I fully expect the Cavs to blow the Magic out of the gym tonight irrespective of the officiating. Although it is troublesome, I can deal with LeBron's protection better than Kobe's (maybe it's because LeBron doesn't play with a scowl on his face like Bryant). At least in James's case, he gets calls being aggressive and driving to the basket. Kobe gets calls for taking fade-away jump shots.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 26th, 2009, 9:30 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:At least in James's case, he gets calls being aggressive and driving to the basket. Kobe gets calls for taking fade-away jump shots.
HAHAHA, SO true. I have a friend from high school who's a big Lakers fan (from Atlanta...fucking frontrunners infuriate me), and he is dead-set, absolutely, irretrievably convinced that LeBron benefits from favorable officiating, but somehow Kobe doesn't. But let's make no mistake: this sort of thing has been going on in the NBA for at least the entirety of my lifetime. Michael Jordan/Bryon Russell, anyone?
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 26th, 2009, 10:27 pm

Michael Jordan vs ANYONE perhaps?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » May 26th, 2009, 11:15 pm

OMG the end of the Cleveland-Orlando game is crazy again #-o .
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 26th, 2009, 11:40 pm

Sue71 wrote:OMG the end of the Cleveland-Orlando game is crazy again #-o .
I've sort of had a revelation tonight...I've been rooting for the Cavs ever since they put the Hawks out, because I really wanted to see LeBron in the Finals. But I realized about an hour and a half ago that it'd be just that...LeBron in the Finals, not an especially compelling team. The rest of those guys are a bunch of scrubs, and frankly, when he's trying so hard to carry the whole team, LeBron is far less compelling than when he's the all-around, improve-everybody's-game dynamo ("the straw that stirs the drink," to borrow a recently overused phrase).
As entertaining as these playoffs have been in terms of overall basketball, I'm beginning to think that we're owed the Magic, rather than the Cavs, as a worthy Finals entry against I don't care which team out of the West. I think all three other teams are in sum more fun to watch than the stuff we've seen out of LeBron and company the past few games.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 29th, 2009, 8:41 pm

wilson wrote:
Sue71 wrote:OMG the end of the Cleveland-Orlando game is crazy again #-o .
I've sort of had a revelation tonight...I've been rooting for the Cavs ever since they put the Hawks out, because I really wanted to see LeBron in the Finals. But I realized about an hour and a half ago that it'd be just that...LeBron in the Finals, not an especially compelling team. The rest of those guys are a bunch of scrubs, and frankly, when he's trying so hard to carry the whole team, LeBron is far less compelling than when he's the all-around, improve-everybody's-game dynamo ("the straw that stirs the drink," to borrow a recently overused phrase).
As entertaining as these playoffs have been in terms of overall basketball, I'm beginning to think that we're owed the Magic, rather than the Cavs, as a worthy Finals entry against I don't care which team out of the West. I think all three other teams are in sum more fun to watch than the stuff we've seen out of LeBron and company the past few games.
I think this is right. It might b fun to see LJ try to single-handedly carry them to the title, but odds are he wouldn't and the series would be a dud. A closer look at the Cavs' 66-16 record shows that they were really good against the mediocre and bad teams this year and just okay against the good teams. The Cavs went 5-6 this season against the Celtics, Magic and Lakers. That perspective helps explain their struggles this series.

As for tonight, I hope we see a lot of the Kobe scowl. He hid his disdain for his teammates well in Game 5, but I'm not sure he will tonight.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » May 29th, 2009, 9:48 pm

Go NUGGETS! =)) LAL=32 and DEN 33!!!!!!!!! =)) =)) =)) Give ME A RED BULL AND VODKA! :D
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 2nd, 2009, 12:55 am

wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 11th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Anybody watching the game right now? The telecast just headed into a second-quarter commercial break with all the announcers singing J.J.'s praises for his superb all-around play tonight. Nice to hear.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 11th, 2009, 10:10 pm

I'm about to start watching it :D
My friend just called to tell me the J.J. was playing well! Usually I'm the one calling him.
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 11th, 2009, 11:07 pm

:o J.J. hits a big game-tying three, followed by, "In a lot of ways, J.J. Redick is playing like he did at Duke."
The announcers can't get enough of him tonight!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 12th, 2009, 12:44 am

"Superman" can't hit his freethrows. Would have sealed the win.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.