Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: I'd like some pickles.

Post by TillyGalore » January 26th, 2010, 2:25 pm

wilson wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:On that Food Tech show they did all of the ingredients in a hamburger, including pickles. They filmed at the Mount Olive pickle company in NC, it was pretty fascinating to watch. They have these huge vats outside that are full of pickling cucumbers. Looked like it would be a neat place to take a tour of.
I've been catching those shows recently and they are indeed fascinating to watch! If they do tours, I would be interested in that. I am always amazed at the precision of the custom machinery to produce end-products in mass, but I still like doing it the old fashioned way as well, something very special about that. ;)
Careful with the Mt. Olive products...while it's generally good to support a North Carolina company, they've been in some hot water over the years with regard to their labor practices. There was a big stink/boycott about this while I was at Duke. I dunno whether or not they've rectified past wrongs.
Mt. Olive has rectified their past wrongs.
I worship the Blue Devil!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 26th, 2010, 2:28 pm

TillyGalore wrote:Mt. Olive has rectified their past wrongs.
Good to know...do you remember the Great Pickle Flap of '01-'02 of which I speak?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 26th, 2010, 2:43 pm

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:I wonder who has the best deli pickles in Atlanta.
Goldberg's. Several varieties.
No way.
What's wrong with Goldberg's pickles?
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » January 26th, 2010, 3:05 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:The matter of pickle vs no pickles is a defining question in our family. Whether one likes pickles or not is an important issue. As children are born and others join the family by marriage, the pickle lovers want to know if the newest family member has the pickle gene.
That's hilarious. Our Katie DEFINITELY has the pickle gene. On Christmas day, coming down with an ear infection, the ONLY thing she'd eat was pickles.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » January 26th, 2010, 3:11 pm

Lavabe wrote: But you WOULD put pickle chips in a ramekin. :)) =)) =)) :))

Did someone say pickles in a ramekin?
-- DukeUsul
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » January 26th, 2010, 3:34 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Miles wrote:
Lavabe wrote:No mention of sour pickles? :-w
Oy!

TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
:angry-screaming:

I'm calling foul on this. Pastrami on rye is a WARM sandwich; one would NEVER put Mt. Olive pickle chips (dill or bread n butter) on this classic sandwich.
15 yard penalty.
After further review, there was no foul on the play. Lavabe is assessed a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.
No where in my post did I indicate that pickles MUST be served on warm sandwiches. I only state that they are best served on warm sandwiches. I would never put pickles on Pastrami.
But you WOULD put pickle chips in a ramekin. :)) =)) =)) :))
Upon further review of the review, there are no fouls by either team on the play. Lavabe is awarded one bonus point for use of the work ramekin. Let us all sing his praise.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » January 26th, 2010, 3:37 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
Lavabe wrote: But you WOULD put pickle chips in a ramekin. :)) =)) =)) :))

Did someone say pickles in a ramekin?
Award DukeUsul three bonus points for use of the word ramekin, use of visual aid, and for adorable daughter involved with ramekin.
sMiles
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 26th, 2010, 3:38 pm

Miles wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Miles wrote:I am with wilson on all pickle accounts. Pickles are a must on my chicken sandwiches. I love it when other people don't want their pickle!

I'm not pick(l)y, but I do have preferences for what type of pickle I want for certain sandwiches. Pickle chips of the Mt. Olive variety are best served on warm sandwiches (hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, etc.). Kosher spears are best when served along side a cold sandwich. Kosher slices goes best inside a cold sandwich. Whole kosher pickles make the best snack.

Vlassic pickles are best when someone else eats them.
No mention of sour pickles? :-w
Oy!

TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
:angry-screaming:

I'm calling foul on this. Pastrami on rye is a WARM sandwich; one would NEVER put Mt. Olive pickle chips (dill or bread n butter) on this classic sandwich.
15 yard penalty.
After further review, there was no foul on the play. Lavabe is assessed a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.
No where in my post did I indicate that pickles MUST be served on warm sandwiches. I only state that they are best served on warm sandwiches. I would never put pickles on Pastrami.
After impartial further review :D , I confirm there is no foul on the play by Miles. Lavabe is "awarded" a 2 minute minor for improper reading of a post, instead of the more major 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. =)) =)) =))

Dang. Now I want some Chutzpah hot pastrami. Ymm!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 26th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Now it's baby kosher dills I want (or better yet, cornichons). Sadly, all we've got here is store-brand dill chips, so they'll have to do.*

*We also have some bread and butter chips, but I do not like those.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » January 26th, 2010, 3:42 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:... Now I want some Chutzpah hot pastrami. Ymm!
Ya know, I was just thinking the same thing! I might have to bring a care package with me in the near future! ;)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 26th, 2010, 3:43 pm

cl15876 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:... Now I want some Chutzpah hot pastrami. Ymm!
Ya know, I was just thinking the same thing! I might have to bring a care package with me in the near future! ;)
OH! Yeah! B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Miles

Post by Miles » January 26th, 2010, 3:46 pm

wilson wrote:Now it's baby kosher dills I want (or better yet, cornichons). Sadly, all we've got here is store-brand dill chips, so they'll have to do.*

*We also have some bread and butter chips, but I do not like those.
I prefer dill and the sour variety of pickles more than the sweet variety. My granny used to make bread and butter pickles and I loved them dearly.
sMiles
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 26th, 2010, 3:48 pm

wilson wrote:Sadly, all we've got here is store-brand dill chips, so they'll have to do.
I ate them all. They were tasty. I'd estimate that I consumed 2.5 servings of the dill chips.
I will also eat approximately 2.5 (either 2 or 3, it remains to be seen) of the dill sandwich slices once I get to Katie's a bit later.
Miles

Post by Miles » January 26th, 2010, 3:52 pm

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:Sadly, all we've got here is store-brand dill chips, so they'll have to do.
I ate them all. They were tasty. I'd estimate that I consumed 2.5 servings of the dill chips.
I will also eat approximately 2.5 (either 2 or 3, it remains to be seen) of the dill sandwich slices once I get to Katie's a bit later.
Kelly and I had cornichons for a while. We were saving them for a special guest. He never came so we made a charcuterie plate and dusted them in your, err I mean his honor.
sMiles
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 26th, 2010, 3:54 pm

Miles wrote:Kelly and I had cornichons for a while. We were saving them for a special guest. He never came so we made a charcuterie plate and dusted them in your, err I mean his honor.
Dude, I'm totally coming to Charlotte soon; I promise. Spring break (mid-March) at the latest.
Miles

Post by Miles » January 26th, 2010, 3:56 pm

wilson wrote:
Miles wrote:Kelly and I had cornichons for a while. We were saving them for a special guest. He never came so we made a charcuterie plate and dusted them in your, err I mean his honor.
Dude, I'm totally coming to Charlotte soon; I promise. Spring break (mid-March) at the latest.
:-BD Awesome! We'll make sure to have some cornichons on hand, along with many other delectable meats and cheeses.
sMiles
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 26th, 2010, 3:59 pm

While we're discussing pickles and pickled foods, what about that old standby, chow chow? It's pickled and some versions have a lot of zip. My grandmother served chow chow with every meal except breakfast.... and it could be had by request then. I discovered that the Cracker Barrel offers a fine chow chow as a condiment. It's available by the jar in their store. One jar even made it to one of my tailgate soirees.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 26th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:While we're discussing pickles and pickled foods, what about that old standby, chow chow? It's pickled and some versions have a lot of zip. My grandmother served chow chow with every meal except breakfast.... and it could be had by request then. I discovered that the Cracker Barrel offers a fine chow chow as a condiment. It's available by the jar in their store. One jar even made it to one of my tailgate soirees.
Apropos of some of our above conversation, Mt. Olive also makes a serviceable chow chow.
Stuff's delicious atop a hot dog or black-eyed peas and rice.
Miles

Post by Miles » January 26th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:While we're discussing pickles and pickled foods, what about that old standby, chow chow? It's pickled and some versions have a lot of zip. My grandmother served chow chow with every meal except breakfast.... and it could be had by request then. I discovered that the Cracker Barrel offers a fine chow chow as a condiment. It's available by the jar in their store. One jar even made it to one of my tailgate soirees.
Bring out the brats!!! I am down with chow chow :-BD =p~
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » January 26th, 2010, 4:02 pm

wilson wrote:
Apropos of some of our above conversation, Mt. Olive also makes a serviceable chow chow.
Stuff's delicious atop a hot dog or black-eyed peas and rice.
Oh snap on top of black-eyed peas and rice!
sMiles