Cold

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: Cold

Post by ArkieDukie » January 2nd, 2010, 8:23 pm

CathyCA wrote:Mr. Ron came over and he lit the pilot light. But it went out while we were up in the attic. So he re-lit it.

It may be the wind. That attic is cold. I need butt warmers on the couch now.

The exhaust hood wasn't hovering correctly over the top of the water heater, either, so I fixed that. It was all out of whack. Probably the roofers knocked it when they were doing the roof. I don't think that would make the water heater go out, though. That hood is to make sure I don't get a carbon monoxide problem in the attic. With this wind, it couldn't possibly be a problem.

I'm just praying that I can get a hot shower later tonight.
Cathy, I'm sending vibes that the pilot stays lit. There's nothing worse than no hot water in cold weather. :wizard: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 2nd, 2010, 8:26 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:There's nothing worse than no hot water in cold weather. :wizard: :wizard:
How about having no water in hot weather? ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 2nd, 2010, 8:28 pm

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:There's nothing worse than no hot water in cold weather. :wizard: :wizard:
Okay, Lavabe, I'll give you that one. No water in hot weather is also bad.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 2nd, 2010, 8:28 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Mr. Ron came over and he lit the pilot light. But it went out while we were up in the attic. So he re-lit it.

The exhaust hood wasn't hovering correctly over the top of the water heater, either, so I fixed that. It was all out of whack. Probably the roofers knocked it when they were doing the roof. I don't think that would make the water heater go out, though. That hood is to make sure I don't get a carbon monoxide problem in the attic. With this wind, it couldn't possibly be a problem.

Cathy, I'm sending vibes that the pilot stays lit. There's nothing worse than no hot water in cold weather. :wizard: :wizard:
I am totally afraid of the pilot light, so if it goes out, I'm not going to re-light it, even though I know how to do it. I can't believe I actually went up in that attic with Mr. Ron. I stayed very near the attic door so that I could scoot down the stairs if the hot water heater or the gas line blew up.

I'm counting on that hot shower (or maybe a soak in the tub) in about an hour or so.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2010, 8:30 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Where'd you find it? I just posted in the Whew thread that I can't find it anywhere?
See my reply on the WHEW thread.

This is just freakin' hilarious.

And what a way to PW the afternoon and evening away.

:)) =))

:skull: is not what we want to see on this thread after Cathy's post. 8-x needs to come to the rescue!
:skull: is in the Misc. category between the squirrel cage and the black cat. I'm not finding 8-x anywhere?????
Here's where I found it: *-:) 8-x =:)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2010, 8:33 pm

CathyCA wrote:I called my mom. I asked her if my brother was still in town. (He isn't.) Mom has called her next door neighbor, and he is going to come over and look at it for me. If he can't fix it, I'm going over to Mom's for my shower.

I have a warranty on the house, and the hot water heater is covered. I'm going to call this thing in on Monday and get a plumber out here. All I need to do is to pay the $60 service call. The warranty company will cover a new hot water heater if it's broken. I'm thinking that it is definitely broken since this is the second time it's gone out in less than a week. And it's old. I don't imagine that the previous owners did any maintenance on it. The house is 20 years old. It's time for a new hot water heater.

I wish my cute little BF were here. Dang! I wish I could find his cute little avatar!
Click on "view more smilies" and look for these 3 critters: *-:) 8-x =:)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2010, 8:34 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Two words, thermal underwear. I got my first set since childhood today. Why didn't I get them when I lived in Boston?
If it's that cold...my two words are "electric underwear".
:)) :))
=)) =))
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 2nd, 2010, 8:34 pm

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

I am totally afraid of the pilot light, so if it goes out, I'm not going to re-light it, even though I know how to do it. I can't believe I actually went up in that attic with Mr. Ron. I stayed very near the attic door so that I could scoot down the stairs if the hot water heater or the gas line blew up.

I'm counting on that hot shower (or maybe a soak in the tub) in about an hour or so.
You could boil bunches of water on the stove if the pilot goes out again. It's better than nothing. I've had to go that route before.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2010, 8:36 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Or having no weather and hot water... :roll:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 2nd, 2010, 8:39 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: You could boil bunches of water on the stove if the pilot goes out again. It's better than nothing. I've had to go that route before.
I'm not going to go that far. My mom lives a half mile away. I'll go over to her house and shower if that pilot light goes out again.

8-x I found him! 8-x :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 2nd, 2010, 8:48 pm

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: You could boil bunches of water on the stove if the pilot goes out again. It's better than nothing. I've had to go that route before.
I'm not going to go that far. My mom lives a half mile away. I'll go over to her house and shower if that pilot light goes out again.

8-x I found him! 8-x :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob: :Heartthrob:
i do hope your hot water heater pilot light stays this time. i hate when things go wrong in the house. good luck. :ymhug: :ymhug:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 2nd, 2010, 9:16 pm

CathyCA wrote:

That definitely sounds like a better plan. You're lucky your mom is nearby.

Glad you found 8-x.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 2nd, 2010, 9:21 pm

8-x 8-x 8-x 8-x 8-x There he is!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2010, 9:42 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:8-x 8-x 8-x 8-x 8-x There he is!
Just what we need, 5 of 'em. :roll:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2010, 9:46 pm

devildeac wrote:
Interesting that your post had 5 8-x and my quote of your post had 1 8-x and 4 smilies.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2010, 9:47 pm

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Interesting that your post had 5 8-x and my quote of your post had 1 8-x and 4 smilies.
And now my quote of my quote of your post makes no sense. :-?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 2nd, 2010, 11:01 pm

devildeac wrote:And now my quote of my quote of your post makes no sense. :-?
Maybe the punctuation mark in front of the smilie messed it up?: :-?
-- Albert Einstein
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 2nd, 2010, 11:18 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
colchar wrote: It is currently about 5 degrees Fahrenheit here and it was colder yesterday evening when I left to head to my parent's place. I was outside cleaning the snow off my car for about ten minutes before I drove off and I did so in a sweatshirt - no jacket or gloves required. I'll start worrying about a coat and gloves when it is in the 0-5 degree Fahrenheit range and even then only if I am going to be outside for any length of time - if I am just getting into the car and out again to head into a store or something I won't bother with a coat.

Then again, as we established in a previous thread, cold is relative.
You are nucking futs, my friend.

Note, I twice corrected your spelling of Fahrenheit. Or rather, my spell checker did.

Yeah, my spellchecker always wants it to be capitalized as well but I just ignore that.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 2nd, 2010, 11:20 pm

colchar wrote:My Mom just called and asked me to head out to Sears to grab something for them that isn't available at any of the Sears stores in their town. I'll report in when I return to describe the cold here. I'm sure it will be ball-bustingly cold the first couple of minutes I'm outside but I should acclimatise to it fairly quickly.

So I did go out earlier and yeah, it was cold. It was -16 celcius and with windchill it was -25 so I wore a coat - but I never did it up and certainly didn't consider wearing gloves. But that only qualifies as cold - it was neither ball busting cold not fucking cold. It would have to drop another 5-10 degrees to reach those levels.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2010, 11:41 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
devildeac wrote:And now my quote of my quote of your post makes no sense. :-?
Maybe the punctuation mark in front of the smilie messed it up?: :-?
We also need a "clueless" smilie... :veryconfused: