Thanksgiving plans, what are yours?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Thanksgiving plans, what are yours?

Post by Turk » November 23rd, 2009, 6:31 pm

Mrs. Turk's siblings came in town this past weekend, so that was our Eastern PA TG. M-I-L went all non-traditional w/ a big ol' pork roast. Not sure why and really didn't feel like asking - it was yummy and as per usual I ate more than my share. I got lucky with my in-laws - we all get along fine and more importantly the kids do too. So I'm thankful for that.

On Weds we will be doing the Turnpike Shuffle out to Pittsburgh to the Turk roost. We will be staying out of sight of a big goofy-looking guy with a funny hat and heavy Swedish accent, and trying to pass off birdseed and cranberries as dinner. Seriously, Mama Turk will stick with the classics: turkey, stuffing, mashed taters, gravy, corn, carrots, green beans, rolls, punkin pie. The stuffing is still cooked in the bird, and the gravy is still made from the pan drippings, as God intended.
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 23rd, 2009, 6:45 pm

TG's day

7am (hopefully) get up and start on apple pie
12:45 p.m. leave for airport to pick up parents
1:45 p.m. feed parents sammiches, probably tuna, they are really healthy eaters
3:00 p.m. start cooking

menu

Turkey breast, drunk on pinot grigio before going in the oven
Mashed potatoes, real ones not from a bag
stuffing, from a bag or box
gravy, made from pan drippings
either green beans or asparagus
carrots
salad with tomatoes, need more color
cresent rolls
Homemade apple pie
Homemade mincemeat pie, which Mother Galore is bringing

6pm dinner
8pm put leftovers away and congregate to the living room and leave the dishes until Friday

This is the first time I'm cooking Thanksgiving for my parents, and am excited. We will be dining on my grandmother's china. I've had her china for a while now, just never used it before now.
I worship the Blue Devil!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 23rd, 2009, 6:46 pm

TillyGalore wrote: 6pm dinner
I'm usually sleeping my second nap by 6.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 23rd, 2009, 6:47 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
TillyGalore wrote: 6pm dinner
I'm usually sleeping my second nap by 6.
K68 is going to see family in SE NC, thus we can't do dinner until 6.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 23rd, 2009, 6:47 pm

throatybeard wrote:Mercifully, to stay put, for the first time ever.

Shalay and I have spent exactly one TG together before. This is our 13th.
That's great! Hope that you, Shalay, and Wolf have a great day!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 23rd, 2009, 6:51 pm

CathyCA wrote:Menu:

Turkey
Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli
Cranberry Relish
Squash Casserole
Green Beans with Cauliflower
Crescent Rolls
Sparkling Cider
Perrier
Tea
Pecan Pie

I'll be hosting Sam and 8-x in the formal dining room. Nothing like throwing a party to get the room all unpacked and put away, is it? (That's my goal before Thursday!)
Sounds good! What do you put in your cranberry relish? I made some for a church potluck yesterday and didn't have leftovers. :( Mine contains cranberries, a couple of navel oranges (ends removed, otherwise including the peel), a couple of granny smith apples (cored), and a small can of crushed pineapple, all chopped up in the food processor, and then add sugar to taste. This is a recipe that really tastes good the day after you make it.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 23rd, 2009, 8:40 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:

Turkey
Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli
Cranberry Relish
Squash Casserole
Crescent Rolls
Sparkling Cider
Perrier
Tea
Pecan Pie

I'll be hosting Sam and 8-x in the formal dining room. Nothing like throwing a party to get the room all unpacked and put away, is it? (That's my goal before Thursday!)
Sounds good! What do you put in your cranberry relish? I made some for a church potluck yesterday and didn't have leftovers. :( Mine contains cranberries, a couple of navel oranges (ends removed, otherwise including the peel), a couple of granny smith apples (cored), and a small can of crushed pineapple, all chopped up in the food processor, and then add sugar to taste. This is a recipe that really tastes good the day after you make it.
Cranberries, orange (including peel), sugar, an apple, toasted pecans, and sugar. I like the idea of adding pineapple, though. That sounds yummy, and you're right--this recipe tastes better the next day!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 23rd, 2009, 8:46 pm

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Sounds good! What do you put in your cranberry relish? I made some for a church potluck yesterday and didn't have leftovers. :( Mine contains cranberries, a couple of navel oranges (ends removed, otherwise including the peel), a couple of granny smith apples (cored), and a small can of crushed pineapple, all chopped up in the food processor, and then add sugar to taste. This is a recipe that really tastes good the day after you make it.
Cranberries, orange (including peel), sugar, an apple, toasted pecans, and sugar. I like the idea of adding pineapple, though. That sounds yummy, and you're right--this recipe tastes better the next day!
Looks like great minds think alike! I may have made up the crushed pineapple part. Couldn't remember if it was supposed to be there and added it anyway. It was really good. Definitely a keeper.
-- Albert Einstein
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » November 23rd, 2009, 9:18 pm

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

Turkey
Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli
Cranberry Relish
Squash Casserole
Crescent Rolls
Sparkling Cider
Perrier
Tea
Pecan Pie

All I have to say is YUMM, YUMM, YUMMM!!!!! I am working overtime to get there earlier!!!!! Obviously, not just because of the menu! :ymblushing: :p ;)
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » November 23rd, 2009, 10:27 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
Miles wrote:I'm cooking dinner at Mom and Dad's and will be joined by my mother's mother, and Kelly!
Kelly is making French Onion Soup and ranch oyster crackers for our late morning/pre-dinner meal.
I'm doing...
- Maple-brined turkey, stuffed with fall aromatics and a bourbon gravy.
- Sausage stuffing
- Green beans with caramelized onions
- Honey-glazed baby carrots
- Garlic mashed potatoes
- Mashed sweet potatoes in orange cups
- Yeasty rolls

Turkey stock goes on the stove tonight; I'll have about 1.5 - 2.5 gallons on Thursday.
Brining begins later afternoon on Wednesday.

I. AM. SO. EXCITED.
Man oh man. I know where I'D love to be dining! that sounds like perfection. I'd love to try some new and dif recipies, but by the time I make every single same ol' thing that each person insists he can't live without, I'm walking on my ankles!
Love, Ima #:-s
I hear you Ima! Kelly and I already had to dial in the menu a tad to please all the diners. I'm in control of the turkey and gravy though, and nobody gets a say in that matter. :-D

Maybe next year we'll do Turkey Gate at the last brunchgate and you can hook up one of your new and different recipes. :-)
sMiles
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » November 23rd, 2009, 10:30 pm

Miles wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
Miles wrote:I'm cooking dinner at Mom and Dad's and will be joined by my mother's mother, and Kelly!
Kelly is making French Onion Soup and ranch oyster crackers for our late morning/pre-dinner meal.
I'm doing...
- Maple-brined turkey, stuffed with fall aromatics and a bourbon gravy.
- Sausage stuffing
- Green beans with caramelized onions
- Honey-glazed baby carrots
- Garlic mashed potatoes
- Mashed sweet potatoes in orange cups
- Yeasty rolls

Turkey stock goes on the stove tonight; I'll have about 1.5 - 2.5 gallons on Thursday.
Brining begins later afternoon on Wednesday.

I. AM. SO. EXCITED.
Man oh man. I know where I'D love to be dining! that sounds like perfection. I'd love to try some new and dif recipies, but by the time I make every single same ol' thing that each person insists he can't live without, I'm walking on my ankles!
I hear you Ima! Kelly and I already had to dial in the menu a tad to please all the diners. I'm in control of the turkey and gravy though, and nobody gets a say in that matter. :-D

Maybe next year we'll do Turkey Gate at the last brunchgate and you can hook up one of your new and different recipes. :-)
Miles - if your turkey is anything like that fabulous chili, OMG!!!!! I suspect, that we won't be seeing ya this Saturday because you'll be in <food> coma? The <>'s are for those :ymdevil: ish minds that would substitute other words, you'll be missed! Happy Thanksgiving to you and look forward to the Chili cook off and tasting in Havloc!
Miles

Post by Miles » November 23rd, 2009, 10:45 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Miles wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote: Man oh man. I know where I'D love to be dining! that sounds like perfection. I'd love to try some new and dif recipies, but by the time I make every single same ol' thing that each person insists he can't live without, I'm walking on my ankles!

Miles - if your turkey is anything like that fabulous chili, OMG!!!!! I suspect, that we won't be seeing ya this Saturday because you'll be in <food> coma? The <>'s are for those :ymdevil: ish minds that would substitute other words, you'll be missed! Happy Thanksgiving to you and look forward to the Chili cook off and tasting in Havloc!
Thanks! I am really excited about the bird this year. Happy Thanksgiving to you and I'm looking forward to the chili cookoff too! Oh yeah, the South Carolina chili cookoff is in April. ;)
sMiles
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 24th, 2009, 7:45 am

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

Turkey
Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli
Cranberry Relish
Squash Casserole
Crescent Rolls
Sparkling Cider
Perrier
Tea
Pecan Pie

Ooo, that sounds good. Can you post the recipe?
Miles

Post by Miles » November 24th, 2009, 10:03 am

Finished the turkey stock last night: It yielded just over 1.5 gallons. Brine gets prepared tomorrow morning and then the turkey goes in mid-afternoon.
GETTING. MORE. EXCITED.
sMiles
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 24th, 2009, 12:21 pm

The OP is at the grocery at the moment, picking up the things I forgot. I'm starting the pie crusts (for pumpkin and chocolate chess)and the dinner roll dough this afternoon. Then I'll make the sides... cranberry relish, Waldorf salad, sweet potato casserole, clean and wash the green beans. Then I'l start the table setting and centerpiece, make sure the silver is polished and all the glass ware sparkles. Everything else has to wait a day.....turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy. Let's see....is that it? I think with just the three of us, I'll just set up a smaller table in the living room by the fireplace this year.....with Grandmother's china.

I'm feeling fatter already.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 24th, 2009, 12:46 pm

I took out my grandmother's china last night. I'm pretty sure the last time I'd seen the china was at a holiday celebration. Brought back a lot of memories and a few tears. Even as I write this. I miss my grandmother and wish she could be with us Thursday.
DUKEBLUE252
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by DUKEBLUE252 » November 24th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Miles wrote:Finished the turkey stock last night: It yielded just over 1.5 gallons. Brine gets prepared tomorrow morning and then the turkey goes in mid-afternoon.
GETTING. MORE. EXCITED.
chili is a stew?
peace? PEACE??!! I hate the word, as i hate chapel hell, all tarholes, and roy.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » November 24th, 2009, 6:10 pm

I forgot to add that the current plans also include beginning Season 4 of LOST on Thanksgiving night. You know, for anybody who might care about such things.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 24th, 2009, 6:20 pm

DUKEBLUE252 wrote:
Miles wrote:Finished the turkey stock last night: It yielded just over 1.5 gallons. Brine gets prepared tomorrow morning and then the turkey goes in mid-afternoon.
GETTING. MORE. EXCITED.
chili is a stew?
Established as undebatable fact...but people keep debating it. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 24th, 2009, 8:18 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I forgot to add that the current plans also include beginning Season 4 of LOST on Thanksgiving night. You know, for anybody who might care about such things.
You know I do. Might I suggest you move your reviews over here... just to draw more traffic. :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com